Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
noumenon

TKO

“Many things -- such as loving, going to sleep, or behaving unaffectedly -- are done worst when we try hardest to do them.”

TKO

I've been so looking forward to trying this, and it's more than fulfilled my expectations. I should say that I don't have any chronic sleeping problems. Maybe the occasional stress-related difficulties falling asleep but that's about it. The real reason I wanted to try TKO was because I heard it smelled like lavender marshmallows!!!! :yum:
In the bottle, TKO smells weird. It smells strongly of lavender and savory herbs, with a leetle eucalyptus. It doesn't smell like sweet food, it smells like FOOD food. Like dinner.
On my skin, it's an entirely different story. All the dinner-time elements disappear and I'm left with a gorgeous, nommy lavender buttercream icing smell. I wanted to eat my own arm.
It actually did help me fall asleep, sooner than I preferred, in fact. When I woke up in the morning, I felt well-rested. The lovely creamy lavender I smelled last night had turned into a light, chocolate baked goods scent. Weird, but I like it!
I love TKO!
Edited by ModderRhu

TKO is amazing!

In the bottle I get a sharp lavender smell(powerful in the same way tea tree oil is when you sniff it closely, which I love the smell of!)and maybe a hair of sweetness in the background, but mostly lavender.

Wet on my skin it smells very strongly of lavender! Sharp and pungent(in a good way, as I LOVE this stage)and it is starting to make me sleepy!

Once it dries it becomes a lavender/vanilla combination reminiscent of a mashmallow(others have noticed this too and it is true!), but not really that sweet or foody, it still has an herbal tinge and is quite beautiful!

It helps me sleep when nothing else does and as others have mentioned also it leaves my pillow/sheets smelling like brownies, almost like Lump of Coal in the morning! I think this is my favorite scent and I have already blown through almost 1/4 bottle in a few weeks, which sheer madness for me! :eek:

edited for past/present tense errors!

Edited by moonberryjam

When I first tried TKO, years ago, I was a bit wary. I'm not a fan of most lavender blends, they almost always end up way too medicinal. But I tried it anyway. And got hooked. And have been using TKO at night for . . . wow, almost three years. (I had to look up the first time I ordered it, which was apparently October 2007.) It's the only blend thus far that I've had to replace, since I used up the first 5ml.

In the bottle and first on, I notice the lavender the most, and it is a little sharp. I think it softens with age, though, because I just started a new bottle and it is a LOT more obvious. Once it dries down, though, the gorgeous sugary vanilla strengthens and as it does, it balances out the lavender.

Eventually the two main notes are just one sweet sleepy smell, this awesome vanillavender (ha!) that has become a huge comfort to me over the years. I don't know if it really helps me sleep, but it is definitely an important part of my nighttime routine, and I'd miss it if it weren't there.

I think I'd compare this to Faith and Hope, maybe. Faith is sugared violets, TKO is sugared lavender -- TKO has more vanilla involved, though, at least to my nose.

Edited by karen

Fluffy lavender marshmallows, pale purple and tossed in sugar. I've always relied upon Somnus to help me get to sleep on a night, but now I think TKO will be the one to sit on my bedside table. I am SO glad I took a risk on this as I was unsure. Sometimes lavender can ruin a blend for me as I seem to amp it like woah. This one has a more subtle whiff of lavender and it's the sweetness that dominates. Will most certainly need a bottle of this in my scent wardrobe at all times now.

Preconceived notions:

I'm not a huge lavender fan (too herbal for me most of the time), but I keep hearing how amazing TKO smells, plus I've had some bad insomnia lately, so I'm hoping this is a winner in terms of scent and effectiveness.

First sniff:

Lavender-vanilla candy. Seriously, if you took violet pastilles and made them with lavender, you'd have TKO. It has a marshmallow vibe to it, too. Very sweet and poofy smelling and not herbal in the slightest. I can see why people love this, although I'm not sure this is going to do it for me, scent-wise. It's pretty, don't get me wrong, but it's a little too froo-froo, a little too pink petticoats and marshmallow unicorns for me in the bottle. -_-

Wet on skin:

Exactly the same as in the bottle, only a tiny bit less sweet (which is a good thing, because I was getting that weird tickle in the back of my throat that I get from too-sweet scents; it's not quite a gag reflex, but it's pretty close). I don't know that I would necessarily peg this as lavender if I didn't know that it was. I'd say it smelled purple, which it does, as strange as that sounds. A very light, pale purple scent. With a sort of marshmallow-like pillowiness to it. I don't have synesthesia, but it almost feels like I do with this, because I get a very distinct visual and tactile impression of TKO.

Dry down:

Even more sugary and marshmallow-like. This scent makes me think of a little girl's imaginary dreamworld (not my dreamworld from when I was little, since mine involved pirates and cowboys and playing in the dirt). It's all marshmallow clouds and soft, white bunnies with pink noses and lavender unicorns with cotton candy manes.

It's also making me incredibly sleepy. Granted, I was already tired from not sleeping well last night and getting up early on top of it, but I'd finally woken up and stopped feeling like a zombie around mid-afternoon. Put a bit of TKO on to test it out and now I'm back in a sleepy fog. Probably a dumb idea to test TKO at a time like this, but I was just trying to see what it smelled like. I wasn't planning on giving it a test run as a sleep aid until later, since I only have a tester bottle (waiting on a bottle from the Lab, but it won't be here for a while yet). This definitely works. Better than Somnus, which works relatively well if I let it (my brain has a tendency to fight off its effects these days).

The bottom line:

TKO does smell pretty (although not in a way that makes me want to wear this as perfume, at least not unless I'm feeling ultra-girly, which almost never happens) and it does what it claims to do.

I finally got a bottle of this, after hearing how awesome it was. I had my reservations since lavender is something I like to smell, but not wear. In the bottle and wet on skin, it's a sharp medicinal lavender, almost tea-tree-ish. I smell vanilla, sugar and marshmallow and it's a strange mix with the sharp herbal note. Several minutes later it becomes a delicious warm, gooey marshmallow-vanilla with barely any lavender. It's so yummy I could lick myself. :yum: It's also making me a bit sleepy. Nap time!

In the bottle: Lavender, a bit of something akin to rosemary (less harsh, though)

Wet on skin: The sweetness of a slightly foody vanilla comes out, the lavender is still there and the herbal note is weaker.

Dry on skin: Fluffy sugared marshmallow vanilla with lavendar undertones, perhaps a bit of champaca.

Final thoughts: I bought a bottle on the search for my perfect vanilla, and thought immediatly "lavender marshmallow" sounded like the perfect mix to put me sound to sleep. TKO has the same vanilla than a slightly foody Chaos: Vanilla I received earlier this year. I'm happy with the blend, it's very comforting. I'll use it regularly on me (and probably on the boyfriend too) for those nights while it's hard to sleep. Good find!

Edited by CreamyJade

Received my first bottle of this recently and find that I wish I had tried this much sooner. I'm getting sweet marshmallow with lavender in the bottle and freshly applied to my skin. The lavender mellows as it dries and it's just this gorgeous and comforting marshmallowy scent. I've applied it at bedtime three nights in a row now and it seems to work like a charm. By morning it's basically undetectable.

TKO rules. :wub2:

This is my go to, relaxation oil. I have the massage oil and it is just incredible :thud: This is lavender (true lavender like the fields in Provence) with slight herbal notes just like the fields mixed with sugary/ french vanilla/ marshmallow. For some reason this oil always makes me sleep deeper and I wake up so refreshed in the morning. As a bonus the massage oil has the most fantastic texture and consistency and really melts into the skin, hydarting and scenting it just beautifully. This is one staple product I cannot do without and a bottle lasts forever. One of my top faves for sure!! :wub2: The perfect relaxation massage oil.

On me, TKO is more marshmallows than lavender, which is slightly disappointing. I was hoping for more of a sweet lavender than a lavender-tinged marshmallow. It does smell very relaxing, though. I will keep some next to my bed before going to sleep tomorrow!

I don't understand TKO. There are a few BPAL blends that I just can't pin down, and this is one of them. What does it smell like? I don't know. I feel like the more I try to smell it, the less I am able to smell it. I'd say vanilla-lavender, but that's too simple for what it actually is. It's sweet and cozy and unlike any other sleep oil I've tried. Bottom line is, it smells good and it works.

Origin: decant swap, then bottle from the Lab

Initial Thoughts: Somehow never got around to reviewing this one. I sometimes have trouble sleeping well and have tried lavender blends now and then, but never one that was specifically intended for the purpose.

In the Bottle: Intense lavender, very herbal, with the barest hint of sweetness underneath.

Wet: On my skin it takes on an airy quality, almost like burying my nose in a fresh bunch of lavender. Extremely clean-smelling without being soapy.

Drydown: This one doesn't morph much on me, other than the sweet suggestion coming back into play, suggesting sugar-laced lavender without being cloying.

Verdict: I need to pay better attention, but the nights I have worn TKO to bed I think I've slept longer and more deeply. I certainly don't remember tossing and turning like I might. The only downside is that it doesn't seem to help the husband the same way and he has complained occasionally.

Lavender, eucalyptus maybe? Something else, for sure. (I'm so helpful!) it does give a marshmallow type feel, soft and pillowy. The lavender isn't as astringent asnthe somnium blends; compared to Somnus this is voter and gentler. It works for me, and I adore it.

Sadly, this does nothing to help me sleep. I've used every flavor of aromatherapy and herbs for sleep with no success though, so I wasn't expecting a miracle. However, this is the most AMAZING scent! The sweet vanilla and lavender are soft and comforting, and although the scent is not very strong, it lasts a very long time. I could smell it on my wrists throughout the night and when I woke up in the morning. I guess the positive side of this not making me sleepy is that I can wear it as a perfume during the day. :) Definitely slather worthy.

I first tried this while searching for vanilla scents. I don't have trouble sleeping these days, but in the past I've had terrible insomnia and was hoping to find something sleep inducing to have in my arsenal.

I would call this a lavender scent, and that delights me, because I haven't found much in the Lab's catalog that gives me lavender the way I like it. This smells like what I'd imagine a lavender-flavored cupcake would taste like, very sugary and warm.

And lo and behold, I sleep wonderfully when I wear this, so I've been dotting it on my arms and nightgown nightly. I'f nothing else, I'm training myself to sleep well when I smell it.

Last night I decided that the sweetness of it is coming from dragon's blood. I don't generally like dragon's blood, but i like this. In fact, since my decant is dwindling, I just dug into my wallet and ordered a bottle.

EDITED TO ADD: I got my fresh bottle from the Lab, and it's quite different from the (I suspect) more greatly aged decant I had. The lavender in the fresh bottle is much stronger, more herbal and lavendery. It's a lovely lavender. That's over the still-sweet and lovely vanilla base, and I can still make out what I think is dragon's blood. Love this, and I may have to try to use it faster so that I can keep ordering it fresh.

AND FURTHER: Now finding that by morning this turns into the most delicious creamy vanilla, and lingers for days on any fabric it touches, like my nightgowns and pillows. Absolutely divine. This is my nightly ritual now, and I'm sleeping wonderfully.

Edited by Gateau

I can't believe I haven't reviewed TKO yet...I wear it to bed almost every night! :eek:

If you love Lavender, you will love this. It's sweet, but not TOO sweet. There must be some Vanilla here, although I see many folks have mentioned Marshmallow, which I would agree with as well. At the beginning, I almost think I smell Eucalyptus, but just a hint. I actually love the smell of Eucalyptus, and it is a relaxing, calming oil, so I wouldn't be surprised if it is actually in here. This is an oil that I wish still came in 10 ml bottles, because I am rapidly approaching the bottom of my first 5 ml, and I know I will go through many in my lifetime. Seriously, this stuff knocks me out, and helps me sleep soundly. It doesn't hurt that it smells delicious too. 10/10 

Still, after more than a decade, 10/10 but I came back to add (on 12 Feb 2023) that I feel like this is Lavender and Palmarosa. I love it.

Edited by HerbGirl

TKO is in my list of top all-time bpal favourites!!!

:wub2:

It's great. Smells sugary sweet (as others have said), with a touch of herbs or flowers in there somewhere...but really it's not about the smell for me. It's the effect. And the effect is GREAT. I feel calm, less stressed, confident, RELAXED--without having to try. It's easier to talk to people and have a good time socially when I'm wearing this. Good for the love life, good for life in general.

I adore TKO; the lavender/marshmallow scent is extremely soothing and it really does help me get a good night's sleep when I have trouble drifting off on my own.

It also works great for headaches: I apply to my temples and the back of my neck, and wear in my scent locket. My headache is generally gone within 15 minutes.

This is one of those BPAL blends that I never want to be without.

Scent-wise, TKO is is a mixed bag for me. It is, truly, sharply lavender-- a stinging, almost smoky lavender, not a floaty pretty one. And I get marshmallow too, and indeed I suspect marshmallow EO is actually present, since the true marsh mallow plant is a sedative. So yes, lavender marshmallow, but not a sweet one at all. Instead it's just big and round, like someone forgot to put in the sugar. And because my skin doesn't like sweet scents very much, it takes on a strangely rubbery smell as well. So it ends up being smoky, rubbery lavender marshmallows. Fortunately it's not a bad smell per se, just a very very strange one.

However, as far as a sleep aid, TKO is the flea's eyebrows, the bee's knees, the mutt's nuts. I'm not a person who has a lot of trouble falling asleep, but a normal course of sleep for me usually involves me waking up at several times during the night and some tossing and turning. TKO takes me down and keeps me there, to the extent that the covers are not even rumpled in the morning. No midnight waking combined with anxiety from low blood sugar (a major problem in the past), no flailing around, no waking up too cold or too hot. I shut my eyes and bam! the next thing I know the alarm's going off. I usually don't even remember my head hitting my pillow. Interestingly, I can feel TKO coming on: it's almost like a very mild paralysis that starts in my extremities and moves towards my center. I feel heavy, lazy, sleepy, not can't-move but don't-want-to-move. I'm still awake but just so comfortable. Five minutes later, my brain flips a switch and I'm gone! :lol: I don't even need to listen to podcasts or audiobooks to keep myself occupied, which is my normal method of falling asleep.

I can't recommend this stuff highly enough! It's like sleeping pills in a bottle only better. :D

Okay, so I dislike lavender with a passion, it does the complete opposite of what it's supposed to do (send me to sleep) and keeps me awake with it's sharp herbal scent. I still wanted to try this because some reviewers mentioned that TKO is a doable scent for lavender haters.

It is. It's pretty much the cozy vanilla of Snake Oil with lavender. I like it :eek: . I might even need a bottle of it :blink: .

I liked lavender when I was younger -- it was basically all I wore perfume-wise, but when I got into BPAL, I dunno, I was just done with it. The lab's lavender note is also harsher in a way than I like. Anyway, I've been avoiding lavender perfume for a few years now, but I got some TKO in a swap as a frimp. And I was a little curious about it since everyone raves about it all the time.

At first sniff it's a somewhat harsh lavender. Very strong lavender with maybe a hint of vanilla beneath it if you really look.

Wet is the same as the sniff, but I think the lavender actually rises to the top and the vanilla just totally disappears for the moment. It's almost like italian dressing -- the lavender just floats on top like oil, while the vanilla sinks to the bottom like herbs. But after about ten minutes, they play together nicely. The lavender recedes a bit and the vanilla steps forward. And the rest of the time it is on, that continues until eventually I'm let with a nice toasted marshmallow scent and no lavender at all.

I have been wearing this on a daily basis lately because I was having some trouble sleeping. TKO just puts me right out. It's amazing and a total godsend. Realizing my little imp wouldn't last forever, I already have a bottle. Plus, I kind of love the "go to sleep smelling like lavender, wake up smelling like toasted marshmallows" effect. It's so cool.

I found out that lavender actually does help me relax and so I really wanted to try TKO since I am a horrible insomniac.

I am really not the biggest lavender fan. There is just a certain kind of lavender scent I like and also just mixed with vanilla. I am not a foody either so the fact that TKO was supposed to smell like lavender marshmellow scared me.

A lovely decanter frimped me with half a decant TKO and I tried it 3 nights in a row. Everytime I used it I was out like a light within half an hour :eek: Maybe it is just in my head but if it works who cares :joy:

I guess my TKO from an aged bottle and it is probably sweeter than fresh from the lab but it smells really lovely of lavender and vanilla cream and when i wake up its all vanilla cream (not so much marshmellow on me actually). Not to foody at all. Like others noted I would actually wear it at daytime but it would probably knock me out :lol:

There is a bottle in my next order for sure. I really shouldnt like it but I absolutely love it :wub2:

Wet on skin: Very strong lavender/herb smell. Almost too strong. When I sniff it, I actually feel a bit queasy.

Dry on skin: Still a strong lavender smell. Strong throw.

30 minutes in: the lavender is starting to settle, and the vanilla is coming out.

50 minutes in: the lavender has toned down a lot, and the vanilla/marshmallow has risen to the top. It is now very sniffable, and very delicious to smell.

I've worn this a few nights in a row, and I find my mind relaxing when I sniff it. I put it on my wrist because I sleep with my hands near my head. Within a few minutes of lying down, my thoughts calm down and I find myself drifting off. I don't think it's putting me to sleep, but it is definitely relaxing my mind enough that falling asleep becomes no problem at all! Definitely glad I got a bottle!

TKO is dominantly lavender mixed with vanilla on me, I don't really get the marshmallow or sugary sweetness that other people have got. I have been wearing this bed and haven't really noticed a difference in my sleeping - which is generally okay. It is a relaxing and calming scent though, it has grown on me so much over the last few nights I don't think I could imagine sleeping without it and I will probably start wearing it during the day at some stage. It dries down into a sort of powdery lavender and vanilla, it reminds me of some kind of baby product, I can't put my finger on what it is but it reminds me of something that I have smelt before that my memory associates with babies anyway. I'm very happy that I got a bottle, I think it definitely works at helping me to feel calm and comforted. I would turn to this if I ever felt sad about something. I have wondered about the artwork on it, as it resembles 3 of Swords from Tarot and whether this has any significance :wub2: