Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
eviltemptressdq

Mag Mell

The Plane of Joy, eternal reward for a lifetime of valor and glory. A place of eternal youth and beauty, strength and honor, music and revelry. The warmth of amber, the puissance of white ginger and the clarity of verbena, with fresh green grass, lush sage and cleansing droplets of summer rain.

sniffed from the bottle, i get ginger and lemon pledge.
on skin... still lemon pledge with some ginger and sage. Edited by Shollin

Some of the greens and yellows in this worry me. It has an aqautic tone to it, which is a little chemical-ly. The verbena is what is standing out most and it kind of smells like lemon-scented dishwashing detergent. Definitely not for me.

Wow, this is the first so far in which I can pick out each and every note. When I think (well, think based off of the smell I get) of this I always see some kind of field, just grass, with morning dew. And a sunrise. Its a very fresh and green scent but there is definatley a golden aspect to it. I was expecting it to be much more herbal, though... The first thing I get is the verbena and fresh grass, initially the verbena was very overpowering then ginger and amber peaked out. The sage is fairly quiet, but evident, not that lush. It definatley as a tiny aquatic feeling to it... which is none other than the droplets of rain on blades of grass. The sage and ginger kept it from being too soapy which it was on the verge of becoming. This is actually quite similar to Shoggoth but without the coconut and florals, but it still has the same fresh feel to it.

A verbena shout to start with and a drydown to a mellow verbena-amber accord. I can smell the ginger if I push my nose up close to my wrist and huff.

It stays close to my skin, there's no wafting with Mag Mell. Very pretty, it reminds me slightly of Antonino from CD which I think is the sharpness of verbena tempered with smoother, creamier undertones. I like this a lot, certainly enough to keep the imp. It will be a good summer scent

most ambers realllllly don't like me. tends to give the blend a "cheap men's cologne" kinda vibe. mag mell doesn't go quite that bad (verbena is usually soapy clean on my skin, so maybe that keeps it in check?), but overall it's not great on me.

i really liked the sound of mag mell, tho, so i had to try it! and i'm sure it's just gorgeous on other people....

In the bottle: Very citrusy grass, a dewy mix between sage, grass and verbena.

Wet: Grass, green green grass, with hints of lemon from the verbena and a hint of ginger.

Drydown: It becomes a sweet, green and slightly citrusy scent, with the perfumy depth of amber. It smells clean and a bit floral, a bit like linden blossoms, sweet and full of nectar. On extreme drydown, it smells like clean sheets.

Overall: This has a luscious, warm and sticky feel to it, along a lovely freshness from the grass. It smells like being in a magical land where the grass smells of sweet nectar and lovely herbs are all around you, under drying clean sheets. It's nice, but I wouldn't wear it frequently, and Enraged Bunny Musk is better in that category of smells.

Verbena is often way too sharp and strong on me, and ginger disappears, and that's exactly what happened here. Also the verbena doesn't sit comfortably with the amber, giving the whole thing that cheap men's cologne feel that someone else was talking about in their review. I really like the green grass note, though, and I hope it shows up in a blend that works better on me.

Definitely catching the lemon verbena in this. The sage is a little heavy and slightly ruining it for me, but otherwise this is still a good blend. Fresh meadows and verbena goodness. A cleansing grassy herbal wafts about after the drydown, drawing you in to a nap in the grass and perhaps lazily watching the clouds floating overhead. You know that scene in the new Star Wars movies where Anakin and Padme and running around in a field, just being in love without any distractions? This is exactly the scent I picture of standing in that meadow.

In the vial: ginger and other herbs.

Wet: oh, dear. Something is not playing nicely.

Dry: This scent gets better the longer that I wear it. A delightful blend of ginger and herbs. Must acquire a big bottle on my next order. :P

in the vial: Lemon! Fresh cut lemons with a hint of green.

Wet on the skin: Still very lemony, and more citrus-like scents, the greens start to pop out a little and a slight herby scent comes forward. I am detecting the ginger now and it is lovely.

On drydown: This is lovely, its a light gingery floral but not headache inducing floral, it has the hint of green and the citrus is still very prominent. I like this a lot more than I thought I would, it is definitely a keeper.

at first: fresh, lovely verbene and a bit of bright ginger.

on: wonderful. this has two of my favorite notes, ginger and verbena, and they're all i can smell right now. lovely.

1 hour later: still bright, but a bit powdery, too. pretty.

2.5 hours later: powdery and light. there's a bit of soapiness to this now, too.

5 hours later: powdery, bright, and a bit sweet.

overall: for my gingery fix, i prefer sudha segara, so i think i'm going to pass on this one.

Rating (on skin): 2/5

Summarised in a few words/smilie: Verbena

Pre-review thoughts: As wont as lemon is to takeover blends, I'm not quite sure exactly why I wanted to try this.

In the imp: Verbena, ginger, and just a bit of grass. Mostly verbena.

On skin, wet: Verbena and grass. Very pretty, but also a bit soapy (due to the verbena).

On skin, dry: Lemon soap, and nothing but. No ginger, rain, grass, or sage; just verbena. This is no fault of the blend itself, just my skin and its propensity to amp verbena.

Conclusion/Notes: Unsurprisingly, Mag Mell isn't for me, as verbena's never been one of my favourite notes.

In the imp: Verbena!

Wet on my skin: This starts off as a very perfumey scent. It smells like verbena and tropical flowers on me.

Drydown: It definitely improves as it dries. Now I'm getting verbena, ginger, and fresh grass. I think it was the grass scent that made me think of tropical flowers during the wet stage. I can't single out the amber, but I'm pretty sure it's what's giving the scent such a warm golden glow.

Overall: It's a lovely, well-balanced scent that manages to be bright and clean without being too sharp. Luckily it didn't turn into soap, powder, or cleaner on my skin. It does seem a little too perfumey for me, so I'm not sure whether I'll wear it again.

Unfortunately my imp broke on me so I only got to try this twice. And I love it! At first, sniffed up close, it smells like aquatic amber... none of the lemon or ginger or sage other people are getting. Gorgeous. Then as I forgot about it and went about my day, I kept smelling this light warm scent that was kind of rainy and kind of sunny and just absolutely lovely. It's so fresh and light-hearted, like a warm spring afternoon after the rain. This just may become a big bottle.

Mag Mell is one I wanted to love. Alas, it went to soap on me - the first BPAL blend that's done it completely. I'm going to stick with Pele and Sudha Segara for my gingery love, I think. :P

Oh, I really like this. It reminds me of Phantom Calliope without the cherry or patchouli. For once amber behaves itself on me, and I get a gentle verbena with a touch of sweetness, grass and sage.

Warm without being cloying, fresh yet subtle, bright but not harsh. Just lovely. It fades awfully fast on me, though. :P Not sure if I will purchase, but I'm sorely tempted.

Fresh, clean, and warm. Mmmm. The verbena bursts out, and I can smell the rain behind it. This is definitely a happy scent, like rain lit by sunshine. After a moment, I can smell the ginger as well, though overall it's a sweet green blend. This is beautiful.

I got this one in a lot on Ebay, and thought I'd give it a try. The ginger gives it a very hot, spicy note. It's not for me, but it is a nice scent.

mag mell is a gingery amber-citrus on me with hints of greenery, which i suppose is the grass. i think i also sense some sweet wet florals, but perhaps that's just the combination of the notes. this is a very pretty fresh scent, perfect for spring or summer.

This blend hates me.

There was something lovely going on, but a bitter note killed it all. Very odd. It's like there were 2 perfumes, one really nice, one evil. I could smell such bright cheery sparkling goodness, but something bitch-slapped me into retreat... that was the only thing that lasted through the dry-down.

I will honor the imp's very clear wishes, and pass it along.

In the Imp: Golden amber, heliotrope, a hint of ginger. It's like happy sunshine walked up and slapped you in the face. This is seriously cheerful.

On: I'm in Hawaii! Ginger, soft grass, pale flowers, amber, warm winds.

Dry Down: Sadly this disappeared on me in about 20 minutes.

Verdict: 4/5 on the ferret scale of yumminess

wet: very tart, sweet and lemony. I can smell the ginger, and it isn't TOO overpowering. Very clean scent

dry: as it dries, the tartness goes away and the scent gets warmer and sweeter. I can't REALLY smell the cut grass yet. As it dries even more it gets spicier, the ginger comes out as the lemon fades.

Not my sort of thing but I didn't think it was too bad!