Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
LiberAmoris

Silence

White sandalwood, iris, blue musk, lotus root, moonflower, plum blossom, green tea, white mint and white peach.

at first: a white, wet, slightly powdery scent. i think i'm going to like this.
on: flowers and green tea. very nice.
2 hours later: very soapy and sharp. a bit powdery.
6 hours later: soapy, but with some nice flowers in the background.
overall: the plum blossom just killed this for me.

I get a lot of sweet floral from this - mostly the iris, I think, sweetened by the plum blossom and grounded by the sandalwood and musk. I cannot really pick out any of the other notes, but alas, my skin amps the iris beyond my personal taste. Pout.

in vial: sandalwood and iris, lots of florals. mint just around the edges.

wet: The mint's a bit more present, as is the peach. Still heavy on the sandalwood and florals, though.

drydown: Oh, this IS nice. Pretty, delicate florals blending together with just a touch of sweet peach and cool mint.

I have a love/hate relationship with Silence.

The first time I smelled it fresh, it was clear and clean and I could sense the mint in it with the moonflower.

I now own a bottle that it slightly aged and the scent has changed a bit, not in a bad way, but it's richer and slightly more floral than the fresh imp.....so, my review is with an aged bottle:

wet: Dust, I imagine from the sandalwood, and a slightly nose-tickly powder that I'm attributing to the iris.

On arm: the dustiness subsides in a matter of minutes, and at this point the moonflower and iris come into play. It's a gray/blue scent, very pretty. When my hormones are going bonkers, this scent is actually too much for me (but pretty much everything is at that point except for foody scents)....but right now, it's just clean and pretty.

After an hour: The plum blossom and peach blossom are really making their presence known now, but not in an overpowering way......I believe they are kept in check by the green tea and mint.....I'm left with the fruit blossoms for the duration. THis scent lasts for a looooong time on me.

This evokes the painting stunningly well. The only distinct notes I can pick out are the white sandalwood, white peach, plum blossom, and later, iris. This is a very subtle scent, notewise, and on my skin as well. Very understated, and even modest. This is meant for moments of quiet contemplation and reflection. Not sure how much use I'll get out of it, but it is nice. I just wish it had more throw.

bottle: iris, moonflower, tea...and a hint of the lotus (but not bubblegummy, it's sweet and transluscent).

wet: damp florals, misty...and the plum blossom comes through.

dry: the mint is just barely discernible behind the florals, and the aquatic nature of the blue musk is noticeable

later: ouchie aquatic musk, but behind that it's delicate, but somber. I do like the white peach and plum blossom notes a lot.

Thanks to beachbabealways for the decant.

Vial: There's a tangy, green sort of sharpness to it which I attribute to certain elements like the iris and white sandalwood.

Skin: As with other BPALs containing iris, this is all I smell for quite a while. It overrides the topnotes, unfortunately, as I thought they might make for a refreshing interlude.

Drydown: It gets softer after a time and has a very quiet characteristic to it, very appropriate for its' fine art pairing. Unfortunately, this type of blend doesn't really work on me, but there are many who I'm sure would enjoy it, especially those who like aquatics.

Edited by luna65

I should have known better. White sandalwood is definitely the strongest note in here. It's pretty but not something I'd wear. This scent has a very tired meloncholy feel but a beautiful one none the less. I think it refelects the painting very well.

So…I had been wearing Silence on and off for almost 3 weeks. I wore it this long because..I just couldn’t get a handle on it. I pretty much used half of the bottle..and still…words can’t really spring to mind. Since I won’t allow myself to try anything new until that review is done, I am going to attempt to describe my experience with this very elusive fragrance..because quite frankly..it’s annoying me.

Anyway..for what it’s worth..here it goes:

Initial sniff from bottle: It is so hard to describe…it is understated but not invisible??? I can’t say I smell anything overtly floral..or fruity…it’s almost a tad alcohol-like?? Argh..Not like in “mixed drink”..but somehow..the vibe I get is cool…almost a touch like nail polish remover..I know..it sounds horrible..but it isn’t. If I close my eyes and sniff it obsessively I get a very quiet waft…a bit plant-like…maybe a bit a touch herbal and very smooth…nothing else jumps in my mind..unfortunately. I can’t remember if this has iris in it..but for some reason I think I smell that. Argh.

Applied wet on skin: A bit dusty..maybe it’s the sandalwood..and I swear..then it goes invisible. This has happened to me many times with this blend..I can’t get a good reading on it. I am not sure I register musk or peach or anything like that. It’s all very wispy and well..just very hard to read on me.

Couple of minutes on skin:Very faintly…I get some fruit..it’s the white peach..and it’s not really juicy at all..with that touch of sandalwood and maybe a breath of some iris maybe??? It’s almost invisible..I mean..I get a sense of it..but it is so very hard for me to describe. It’s on me..but barely..and there is absolutely no throw whatsoever. It seems cool and still..but it doesn’t emanate aquatics or anything like that..it just sits on me..barely blooming. If there is musk in here I don’t really recognize it.

Ten minutes laterI get a bit more of some floral..but it’s of the dry variety..I guess tempered with the sandalwood and the peach..while though not super juicy and sticky in Tamora..does add a touch of sweetness in this blend. This still translates on me as a cool and quiet blend on me.

20 minutes later It’s still hovers on me..and I am a bit surprised that it still manages to stick around..despite how subtle it is. I can get a bit more throw when I put this in a scent locket…but even in there..it’s waft is very understated.

Drydown: A trace of dry sweetness..almost a touch powdery.

Lasting power on me is less than 2 hours and throw is non-exisistent..unless I put this in a scent locket..I get a soft throw at best.

Bottom Line: Silence definitely baffled me. I can’t say I loved it and I certainly don’t hate it. It just puzzles me…I don’t have a very definitive feeling torwards it. It is a very still and quiet scent…one that I really had a hard time putting into words. Still can’t make up my mind about what it evokes for me…I guess because in actuality..it really didn’t evoke anything. Maybe that’s it….it just…was. Just like silence..you can’t really quantify or measure it..or even really describe it honestly..the absence of sound…this was kind of a maddening exercise for me to try and put into words what the absence of sound would smell like..and I found myself awkwardly trying to describe what I thought was like the “silence” of scent. Not my best review by a long shot but it is the best I could do.

First sniff: Soft, quiet, deep, powdery, and very very blue. Very evocative… and it reminds me of something I can’t place. It’s beautiful in the vial, but I’m afraid of what my skin will do to something that already smells powdery.

Wearing: I have the Sarah MacLachlan song of the same name in my head, and it seems to fit the mood. The painting and the scent both hold a sense of hushed expectancy… it’s the same sense I’ve occasionally gotten flashes of during midnight services on Christmas Eve.

I was able to test Silence at the ECWC. This was a really light blend (I had to test it on my thumb...sigh), where the main notes were lotus, iris and musk. Even though the musk is "blue musk," it wasn't sharp or chilly, but really a very pillowy scent. As the blend dried down, the sandalwood become more noticeable and added further soft/warm grounding to the scent. Even though it was very night, it was very light and vanished off my skin quickly.

At first this scent is very light… it’s almost an aquatic murky scent with a very light floral note to it. As I wear it, though, it becomes fresher and lighter with lovely complex floral notes and an underlying juiciness. This scent is very refreshing and I can definitely smell the tea and the peach under the flowers and musk. The sandalwood isn’t overpowering, but it adds something warm to the scent which I really love.

Every time I put this on, at first I think to myself… “I like this?!?” Then after a few minutes Silence turns into this beautiful scent that I just can’t get enough of!

Very cool, sort of blue-green - I KNEW there was blue musk in this just from smelling it. The tea note is also very prominent on me, as is the plum blossom; the combination reminds me of many of the Asian-inspired Salons. Sweet and delicate, but ultimately not something that feels like me. Definitely worth the time to try it, though!

On my skin, the white peach and plum blossom dominate Silence - the other notes are so far in the background that I can't pick them out. It's pretty, but too fruity for my personal taste.

If you are into a fresh, delicate, round fruit scent, snag a sample of this scent.

Silence is not a loud scent (heh....yeah I know not so clever). The throw is minimal, and it didn't last more than 2 hours on my skin.

It's pleasant, but not something I need to keep. Passing it on! Hopefully it will find a good home in time.

I was very impressed by Silence as a concept scent. I applied and bent down to take a sniff--to find something like blankness. Absolutely nothing jumped out at me for a second; it felt like a blank canvas of pale blue florals, very light. When I tried to discern the scent, this felt like the base for Schlafende Baigneuse, before the eye-catching cream musk, rose, or nose-tingling sweet-citrusness is added to it. It's way too faint on me to use as a perfume, but as I said, very interesting execution.

Wow this is beautiful! It reminds me strongly of Black Moon (the lotus and blue musk) but I like this even better.

It's dusty yet creamy florals. The sandalwood and musk are a nice backdrop to the rich lotus and plum blossom. That extra "hmmm" note that makes this whole ting pop is the mint, which goes soooo well with the musk.

I love this scent.

imp: blue musk and green tea.

wet: i'm getting faint florals with the tea scent. the musk has faded a bit while the peach is barely detectable. still, this is so light it's difficult to pick out the notes.

dry: the green tea note has remained constant along with the faintest breath of florals. very soft.

Many, many thanks to indicolite for enabling me on this one!

In the bottle: Plum, peach, and something floral.

Wet: Predominantly fruit, but the sandalwood comes up right away.

Drydown: As it dries, the scent goes through a mostly fruity phase, then a tea/lotus phase, and finally, very coolly, mint. But during each of those distinct phases, the sandalwood/musk combo is always there, adding warmth. Moderate to low throw, very much a skin scent, but a little more robust than I might have expected given the listed notes. One of the first blends I've really enjoyed where mint was prominent.

Verdict: (twirls a flower)

This smells like white sandalwood and muted fruits, with a haze that seems to fall over everything and distance it from myself. It's truly still, silent, unmoving, peaceful. There is a dryness to this, and the tea/mint is a nice quality to smooth over all the intricacies of the other notes. I know this review is a little abstract but the scent is beautiful. It truly achieves its concept and evokes the feeling of the painting wonderfully.

Oh, I'm so glad I finally get to try a Salon blend!

IN THE IMP: Cool, pale, and crisp. Slightly powdery. Light florals with white mint and musk and some tea, and a hint of fruits. Interesting. It does smell really... quiet. Like everything is really still. It's a solemn, almost eerie silence, but not in a bad way.

WET: It's more fruity than before, and there's less mint. Still powdery, but in a pleasant way.

DRY: Peach with some white mint, and blue musk. A hint of florals. Really pretty, and evokes the image very well.

the blue musk and sandlewood are stunning together! I'm not getting fruit from it, but rather a quietly introspective scent that lingers and morphs into a light almost floral. Very calming.

In the bottle: Sweet, sharp floral.

Wet: Less sweet, sharper and more floral. Heady-type floral. Iris very strongly. Definitely some musk and plum blossom.

Dry: Still very heavy on the iris, other notes still there but less strongly, and the peach has come out. I'm not getting mint. The moonflower has gone predictably soapy on me.

Summary: Lotus and moonflower - evil stuff on me. :P

In Vial: Tiny bit of green freshness

Wet:Stronger, smells like leaves and flowers

Drydown: This is floral but not in the usual way. It is not super sweet and has the scent of herbs or weeds in the background.

Adam: It's subtle.

Wet: Somehow reminds me of Ben. Why? No idea. Maybe it smells like his bath stuff.

Dry: Subtle and almost floral, but not overpoweringly so. I like it. Same on Adam.

Verdict: Mine. :P

A quiet, mellow scent. This is definitely "blue", and it has an almost aquatic quality that I find really interesting. The notes flow in and out -- the most prominent would be the plum blossom and the green tea, but I can detect some sweetness from the peach and the lotus root. This is really soothing and laid-back -- it represents the painting very well. Try this if you like: Dionysia (for the plum blossom), Sea of Tranquility (for the white sandalwood and similar "vibe"), and Crawdad Dream (the green tea acts similarly in both blends). If this were a little bit stronger, it would be bottle worthy.

4/5