Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
misspissed

Ultraviolet

Electrifying, mechanized and chilly -- the scent of crushed blooms strewn on cold metal. Lush violet and neroli spiked hard with eucalyptus and a sliver of mint.

very minty...like mint mouthwash...but not unpleasant. as it dried, I could smell the violet, a bit--like those violet candies I used to suck on...i put it on my knee to test it and I didn't mind the smell as it drifted around me, but i wouldn't really want to wear it as a perfume. I will be keeping it to help my sinuses, though--it made me feel really clear headed:)

Name: Ultraviolet

Imp: Initially, a strong nasel-clearing eucalyptus; Whew!

Wet: The eucalyptus overpowers the rest of the scents on me almost to the point of cleaning solution intensity. Mint is there as well.

Dry: The violets peek out, and for a bit Ultraviolet becomes a lovely icy blend of eucalyptus, mint and violets; But it is brief on me.

Furthermore: Initially harsh, then fades beautifully, but alas, the beauty is over much too quickly.

Sweet mercy. That is STRONG. She is not kidding about that "spiked hard with eucalyptus" part.

Fortunately the eucalyptus dies down after a bit and then it smells more like violets and mint. That part is actually not so bad. But I really strongly dislike the blast of eucalyptus at the beginning. I swear it was so strong that when I sniffed my wrist I thought it was going to singe my eyebrows off. It was like a raging bonfire of eucalyptus.

I'm liking the violet/mint combination well enough that I'm thinking about keeping this imp around. It seems like a good scent for a hot day, so maybe I'll give it a whirl one of these days in July and August. Some day when I'm feeling really, really brave.

Edited by filigree_shadow

In the imp: Minty Mint and sweet violets...

On wet: Oooh...herbalicious! What a lovely blast of minty eucalyptus freshness! It's great, and slightly tempered with an underlying sweetness - not overpowering at all.

Drydown: Mmm...mint - it's almost vanillic, thanks to the violets. This has totally softened, sweetened, and deepened into such a pretty scent - and it's weird, but I'm almost getting a whiff of something...coconutty? Whatever it is, it smells *fantastic*! The eucalyptus is still lingering by way of a slightly dusty herbal edge - it's pleasant, almost tea-like - that I can pick up on if I really sniff around for it. I can't detect any neroli.

Overall: I really like violets, and I quite like mint, too - combined, however, I thought they'd smell quite...icky. This blend - which ends up incredibly soft and delicate - has *totally* surprised me! It started off as cool and bracing, then mellowed into this almost creamy sweetness that is just SO gorgeous - I can't stop sniffing myself. I'm reminded of a lighter, cleaner version of Snow-Flakes - Snow-Flakes falling on pale, pale violets. This is a wonderful scent, and one I'd consider upgrading to a bottle! 4.5/5

This is a great scent- definitely a favorite of mine. Mint and violets work so well together, and they're really nicely blended in this scent. The effect is cool, without being too cold, smooth and watery. This is almost an acquatic scent without being acquatic. I can smell the violet notes, and I can smell the mint notes. As those are two of my favorite notes ever I had high hopes for this, and I haven't been disappointed.

In bottle: Sharp mint and eucalyptus.

Wet: I instantly smelled the metallics mixed with the lavender. It literally smells like it's description: it reminded me of cold, wet metal with flowers smeared over them.

Drydown: The mint faded quickly, but in a good way. It smelled like I was standing in the rain, next to a big city flower market. Urban, but feminine.

Dry: Eucalyptus and lavender are all that remain, and are still fairly strong.

Overall: I bought an imp on my quest to find a replacement for Neo-Tokyo. While this scent isn't the same, there's a similar feeling to it. I may have to buy a larger bottle of this!

There’s mint here. In the first moment, it isn’t toothpasty, but then it comes out a bit more clearly... wince. This is a cold smell, and it’s more than just a sliver of mint on my skin. (I wonder if I’m a mint-magnifier?) I can pick up traces of floral as well.

This is slightly exotic, thanks to the eucalyptus, and slightly sterile, thanks to the cold mint. It doesn’t do it for me and it isn’t going to start doing it for me. I can imagine it being a good signature scent for someone else, but it’s completely alien to me... as I figured it would be, honestly.

Oh well. I gave it a try; it was a swing and a miss. (At least the violet didn’t go evil or chemically on me.) Now I’ll go try something else.

Yup, that's some eucalyptus! Eucalyptus and mint.

Wet, that's pretty much all this is. As it dries, the violet and neroli begin to emerge enough to detect something else under the sinus-clearing front runners.

When it's dry, that's when the violets come out. The violet note is lovely, and now it's a pretty floral with the mint lurking underneath. After a while, I seem to be getting a whiff of tea in there, though where that's coming from I have no idea - but it's nice.

While not for me, it's definitely unique and pretty. Seriously strong throw. Too much of this one and I think I'd wind up with a headache.

i'm so pleased that someone on an earlier page mentioned this, because i was afraid it was just me and my wonky body chemistry, but ultraviolet smells exactly like kitty litter on me, to the point where my children and other random people say "what smells like cat litter??" it's a shame, because it smells lovely in the bottle, but on me there's an acrid, ammonia cum violet smell that's just chemical-y and awful.

as much as i'd enjoy using this is a room scent (because it's really chilly and wow away from me), i passed it on to one of my daughters who can use it and enjoy it.

edit to add: proper review of my ultraviolet v1.0

in the bottle lavender and violet, sharp.

wet on skin same, only moreso. and uglier.

dry on skin i have been assured by my daughters that i smell exactly like kitty litter. stupid violet.

two hours later same, but quieter.

my caveat: my newer frimp (v2.0) of ultraviolet is deliciously minty and eucalyptus infested, which my old one isn't and never was. i haven't tested it yet.

Edited by ravenfeathers

i'm so pleased that someone on an earlier page mentioned this, because i was afraid it was just me and my wonky body chemistry, but ultraviolet smells exactly like kitty litter on me, to the point where my children and other random people say "what smells like cat litter??" it's a shame, because it smells lovely in the bottle, but on me there's an acrid, ammonia cum violet smell that's just chemical-y and awful.

Omg, this smells just like fresh cat litter on me as well! No dice. :P

Ultraviolet is like a minty smack in the face at first. Then, violet blooms gently underneath, giving UV more depth and sophistication. This is definitely a work friendly scent.

Ooo. This is niiice. Definitely sinus-clearing at first, all peppermint & menthol, but the violet quickly emerges. This is a dead-on ringer for the violet pastilles we used to get from my gran at Christmas - sweet, but not overly so, with an anise center... This is lovely. It's a fantastic alternative to aquatics & ozones, cool & refreshing & ultimately soothing.

I received this as a frimp from the scent psychics (I mean the lab) - Thanks so so so much! Always waaay too generous, and more than appreciated. :P

Now onto Ultraviolet:

....when I sniffed my wrist I thought it was going to singe my eyebrows off. It was like a raging bonfire of eucalyptus.

Hahaha :D yes. yes it is. For a moment. And then....

This is one of the most beautiful wildflower florals I have ever smelled. I love the scent of spring violets, because they remind me of playing in my backyard as a child, dressed up in a salvation-army bridesmaid's dress pretending to be a hawaiian princess or 'i dream of jeannie.' Or, when my brother was involved, maybe Zelda or Princess Toadstool. (shout out to the children of Nintendo)

But I digress. I am quite partial to mint and eucalyptus, so the opening blast made my brain tingle with glee! My skin amps these notes, and as expected, within 10 minutes the mint is completely gone (bye bye!) and what remains is a hint of eucalyputs with the most beautiful, delicate, accurate violet note in the universe.

I have tried several violet scents, including Borsari Violetta di Parma. Borsari smelled gorgeous in the bottle, but once on my skin, it turned rotten and sour and gave me a headache. I gave up on violet scents from then on and decided they just wouldn't ever work for me.

I am head over heels in love with this cool, dewy violet scent. I could just DIE! I can't say how much I love this. Easily in my top ten, and it is quite certain that I am in need of a full bottle of this. (My bank account cringes....I tell it "Deal with it!! Make it work!!")

Ultraviolet will be a scent I turn to often. Totally my style.

I can't comment on the scent of this. It just gave me a blazing migraine from hell. I can't remember what it smelled like, but I'm afraid to open the imp again and find out.

:[ I think I'm officially done trying to get violet to play nicely with my skin. This had so much promise, with neroli and mint and eucalyptus, but instead of those, I got.. eucalyptus soap, followed by "ACK VIOLET = SOAP" officiously taking over.

It started off chilly, like Numb -- minty violet held in check by eucalyptus and maybe some ozone? But I never detected a hint of neroli, and delicate little violet came out and stomped everything into submission, as usual.

Swapped away as of this week.

This may not be the violet holy grail I was looking for but it is fascinating.

After the initial blast of mint and eucalyptus the violet comes to the front. After a few minutes this does not really smell of mint and ozone but the cold and electrified effect of those notes stays and blends with the violet. It is beautiful but cold and metallic and not a sexy scent.

If any of you has watched the Anime Ghost in the Shell, this is what I would imagine Major Motoko Kusanagi to smell like. A cyborg with violet hair, beautiful but with the coldest behaviour. As electrifying, mechanized and chilly as it gets.

I love it.

In the imp: Whoa, that's a waker-upper -- cold, very cold and minty.

Wet: Tasty and gross at the same time -- minty, but eucalyptus-y, both candy and cold medicine. There's something herbal going on, too, sorta like an herbal tea. This'll wake you up, that's for sure.

Drying: Very minty, but some of the yucky medicineyness (yeah, I made up a word) is gone. I kinda smell like a candy cane. I imagine that Lick It and its kin might smell kinda like this. I'm tempted to hang onto this one just in case I get a sinus cold. :P

imp: violet with mint... then eucalyptus... then more violet... it's like it's changing as i'm sniffing.

wet: mint and eucalyptus. the violet is definitely in the background.

dry: eucalyptus and light violet with that chilly tingle (rather than scent) of mint.

IN THE IMP: Overly sweet something, like a slightly rotten flower, with a little edge of eucalyptus and mint. It’s pretty unpleasant, but hard to compare it to anything concrete.

ON MY SKIN: Murky, rottenish orange cream – the neroli in this must have gone wrong on me.

LATER: Washed it off.

In the imp: something nasty.

Wet: Hall's Mentholyptus cough drops :shrieks:

Drydown: toilet cleaner with a very faint violet overtone.

If this were a boyfriend I'd have to get a restraining order against it. Oh, well, at least I know now.

ETA: after about an hour the eucalyptus and mint have faded and the violet has come to the fore. So I don't want to go roll myself in coffee grounds any more to get rid of the smell. Still, I can't see putting myself through that first half-hour or so to get to what I think of as a fairly standard violet scent. Meh.

Edited by Czarina

In the imp, Ultraviolet is violet, eucalyptus, and a little neroli. Wet on my skin, it's violet with some eucalyptus. Dry, just violet. I like this a lot but I don't need a bottle.

This is a light, cold violet scent. It's a lot more feminine than Saturnalia and lasts for a shorter time. I like to put Ultraviolet on in the morning and then boost it with Saturnalia at night. I love the little touch of mint. It mixes so well with the violets.

Imp: Mint and eucalyptus are the dominant notes. In the imp it kind of smells like one of those aromatherapy blends for sore muscles or nasal congestion.

Wet: Initially I get a blast of eucalyptus. That disappears quickly and the mint and eucalyptus become almost anise-y. My skin is big ho for violets and the violet comes through loud and clear. This smells like Goodie candies and Buckley's cough syrup but in a very pleasant way.

Dry: All violets all the time. My skin has kindly absorbed most of the mint and eucalyptus. There's a hint of them remaining--this is a very cold, harsh scent--but mostly what I smell is soft, feminine violets.

Throw: Lounging around doing nothing = no throw. This is a body heat-dependent scent and if I'm doing some light physical activity, it amps up and I'm in a cloud of violets.

Conclusion: I might use this as a gym scent. It seems to like me warm and sweaty and I might be compelled to work out a little longer if I've got a scent-initiative. This is a very beautiful, feminine scent with an edge that says "If you cross me, I will kill you." I could also see this working out well on a man, depending on his chemistry.

I used this in the bath a few nights ago and it was lovely and head-clearing. It also wound up scenting the book I was reading in the tub. Now every time I open the pages, I get a lovely whiff of Ultraviolet. Definitely big bottle worthy.

In the imp, I smell nothing but minty eucalyptus.

On skin, it becomes a violet touched by wintry cold. It's the truest violet I've found for my chemistry! Beautiful. It's a bit hard at first, but really softens up. Like I said, not too crazy about it at first, but it truly warms up just enough to not be so minty. The violet comes through, keeping it grounded & from being too abstract. I'll be buying a bottle :P

This is surprisingly pretty. The mint sits nicely overtop of the floral. It’s slightly dusty. Really nice!