Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
misspissed

Ultraviolet

Electrifying, mechanized and chilly -- the scent of crushed blooms strewn on cold metal. Lush violet and neroli spiked hard with eucalyptus and a sliver of mint.

In bottle/imp: Violet and ivy with a sharp bit of mint and medicinal eucalyptus.

Immediately on skin: I have a violet and moss perfume oil from another company (well, it’s called “Libra,” but it smells just like Fresh’s Violet & Moss scent) and the first whiff I get of this smells exactly like that. It’s violet, plus green and almost aquatic notes. Then the mint blends in, very sharp and the eucalyptus adds a slight medicinal twinge.

After a little while: This has become a slightly sharp violet scent now with a little bit of moss or ivy. The mint and eucalyptus have just about disappeared, so all I’m left with is that first impression I got when I applied it, but not very strongly. It’s slightly less sweet than other violet blends, so that is nice.

Overall Impressions: This had me excited at first with the aquatic, lush quality it had and then the bright, biting mint. The mint faded way too fast and what was left on my skin was nothing special… I hope others have better luck than I do with this one. It might be a good candidate for a scent locket.

In the bottle –Mint and eucalyptus

Wet on me – Cold green and medicinal

Dry on me – Soft violets tempered by the mint and keeping that medicinal edge

Overall – I never really got my head around this blend

In Vial: piercing, herbal cough drops

On Skin: Strong. I can smell the eucalyptus, mint and violet. It seems an odd smelling mix, but then I'm not sure how much I like violet.

Later: Well this is all violet and I have decided I don't like violet, but you do then you will like this. The mint and eucalyptus have gone...

in the imp, sweet and minty.

i get lots of violet and mint, a little eucalyptus pops out...

not worth trying on the skin as it's not working for me in the imp.

This will be GREAT to wear when its really hot outside.

At first the mint and eucalyptus were too strong, and that's saying a lot, because I love eucalyptus. I swear it cleared my sinuses.

After about 20 minutes everything calms down and balances out. I don't usually wear violet - I get that soapy smell - but it works for me in this blend. I even get the boy's Stamp of Approval (very serious business).

final thoughts: mint + violet = good stuff.

I wanted to like this! *sulks*

It was very minty and eucalyptus-y in the imp and on my skin, after about five-ten minutes, it's calmed down to vaguely minty soap. It's been like that for another ten, and I don't think there's any more morphing in its future.

This is actually the first scent I've had go to soap on me. Interesting.

in the imp: violet, eucalyptus, mint. in that order. :D

wet on skin: the violet and eucalyptus are battling for first place, the mint takes a back seat and the neroli-thankfully-is nowhere to be found.

dry down: oh YEAH! this reminds me of my favorite violet gum (C.Howard's. Get Some!) it's all soft violet and sweet mint. the eucalyptus is still there, but it's calmed down a LOT.

in all: a fabulous violet scent. i love violet, it's one of my favorites. when it goes wrong, it becomes soapy and horrible. this doesn't. this is more like a bouquet of violets and mint. sweet, but not sugared like Faith. beautiful. i'll be getting 5ml a.s.a.p.!

:P

In the imp - Whew! It's all mint in the imp.

On my skin, it's more eucalyptus-y, with the mint right there.

NOTE: as it dried, it felt very, very cold on my skin - like the inverse of the reaction that I get when I wear blends with a lot of cinnamon in it. Very strange.

Once it dried - there is absolutely no neroli or violet in this for me, and it's never let up cold-burning my elbow. I so wanted to love this one, but it's just not meant to be.

Oh ... boy... I ... :P

I bought this one from a lovely forumite .. thanks a lot!

and

I must say... I love it!

In vial : COLD! I smell peppermint candy canes .. first I had the overall "Lick it again"-impression... definetly chilly.

on : first it is all mint - no eucalyptus at all. It makes my nose feel realy cold when it goes up.. :D

just a few minutes later...

oh holy moly - this is pure Violet goodness... :D

It smells just like Lush´s Gratuitous violets on me.

I was always so sorry that the soap scent did never last long on me - but this violet does..

normally I don´t care for florals much - but I adore this one.

Happy I got 5ml !!

In the Imp (wet): This scent is not quite what I expected. There is something biting, almost astringent about this scent that makes me want to back away - slowly.

On facial cotton (dry): It smells like spearmint.

On me: My hopes that this scent would remind me of Milla Johovich in the namesake movie killing butt has been dashed. My skin chemistry makes this scent almost overwhelmingly eucalyptus, not dissimilar to toilet cleaner. Which is a pity as I had hoped for better.

I was going to save my first review for the 5ml of The Illustrated Woman I have coming in the mail... but I discovered yesterday that my sister had a set of BPAL imps that she had never even sniffed (?!!) so I had to try them out...

On skin: I was very taken with Ultraviolet. I couldn't smell the eucalyptus at all, only feel it as a bit of chill in my nostrils. On me this was all cool mint warmed slightly by the violet base. The mint stuck around for about an hour as a ghostly smell that I could catch whiffs of but not smell on my skin. Once that faded I was left with a gentle violet that was neither overpoweringly sweet nor soapy (as many florals go on my skin).

I never would have chosen Ultraviolet for myself based on the notes (I tend more towards warm amber and incense scents) but I really loved it. I probably won't get a 5ml (I don't use much BPAL at a time and I rotate through tons of different scents) but I definitely need my own imp.

In the imp it's minty violet which is interesting. On my wrist it's the same at first, but as it dries there's some nasty battle for prominence going on. After several minutes the violet is kicked to the side and I get herbal mint only, like one of those Ricola cough drops. Neroli never shows up. It's not a bad smell but it's not something I want to smell like. I don't think a scent locket is the answer since I was interested in how my chemistry would work with this. It was an interesting experiment, but now it's off to swaps!

in bottle: The eucalyptus and mint are there, under something that I can't identify. Something warmer, and a little dry.

on skin: Just a touch of eucalyptus, thankfully not metallic like I was afraid of from the description. Woody and spicy, my DH says.

later: The violet came out to the front and became very heavy. It reminds me of those violet candies I first encountered at the French pavillion at Epcot Center.

Lab Frimp from last order

Imp: Mint first and then the eucalyptus

swimming underneath

Wet on Me: Mint & eucalyptus with the

barest teasing whisper of neroli

Drying Down: Still strong mint on top

and then traces of the eucalyptus now. The violet &

neroli are playing hide and seek with my nose.

Dry: Violet now over a minty

eucalyptus. This is different. Imps are nice.

this is the scent that made me realize that maybe I do like a bit of sweetness in my perfumes after all, not just cleanliness and florals :P

wet, its a blast of cool eucalyptus, with a undercurrent that must be the violet...it only seems darker and deeper in comparison to the neroli and the mint I think. the coolness lasts a unusually long time for me considering that neroli + mint are both topnotes and disappear almost immediately on my dry skin. this is almost bitter. there is no sweetness at all for me, though the violet does get stronger and stronger on drydown.

wintery and cool, not a favorite but I like!

In the bottle eucalyptus and mint through violet.

Wet I get a blast of the greens before the violet sets in. I think my body chemistry amplifies the violet. The neroli adds an occasional touch of sweetness the blends well with the violet.

Dry I get perfume de violetas with hints of greens. My skin gives the violet occasional boosts throughout the day that tend to carry the neroli as well.

I love to use this on days when my sinuses are giving me hell but I still want to feel lovely in spite of it. The sweetness of the neroli can be a little cloying if I'm already feeling nauseous, but otherwise the entire effect is refreshing.

Got this as a frimp at Will Call (and it's a frimp that has things that touched on my Witchee's no-no notes list, which is why I'm holding on to it), and I'm going to tentatively say this is excellent timing, since there's eucalyptus in there and since my sinuses are being a tad wonky today. Let's see how this works.

In the imp: Strongly mint and eucalyptus with a bitter undertone of violet. Yay, I can tell notes even if my nose is a bit stuffy!

Wet on skin: This feels cool to my nasal passages when I sniff it. The mint is most prominent right now, though with a bit of the punch of the eucalyptus. There's still something bitter under there, though it's less violety now. Is that neroli? I've never smelled neroli before.

Drydown: Freshly dry, we have minty minty mint mint with a leetle bit of eucalyptus and a lot of throw. Within an hour, though, it does a complete 180 and is all violety violety violet violet.

Five hours later: Almost gone already, but what's left is still all violet. It is possible that being exposed to the horrid stink bomb that is the Salton Sea might have aided in the fading of Ultraviolet, but then again, it was pretty faint well before we got out of the car and into the nasty air.

End of the day: Gone without a trace.

Overall: This has all the ingredients for being the high-pitched electric-cool violet smell that the name and description suggests. The smell of it in the imp further emphasizes the possibility. The problem is that, on me, those ingredients occur in sequence rather than at the same time, and thus the overall effect is lost. Pity, since the effect in the imp is nice. If the order of prominence was reversed on me (that is, violet giving way to mint, I think I'd like this more than the way it is now (mint giving way to violet), since what might as well be single note violet is a bit feminine for my taste. Also, my sinuses remain painful, but I guess that's what the Panaceas are for!

I can barely smell the violet in this. I get mostly the eucalyptus and mint but the violet tones it down a little and stops it being too harsh and astringent. It's one of the only violets that doesn't give me a headache, Twilight I'm looking at YOU. Ultraviolet is much less sweet and cloying than a lot of violet scents and I really like it. It's one I'd choose to wear more in warmer weater, it seems like it would be cooling to wear on a hot day.

Going on, Ultraviolet is minty, like toothpaste, almost, but metallic... On my skin, it's more of an herbal scent, with a violety-minty throw, though close to the skin I get a bitter herbal/floral scent.

Several hours after putting it on, I can barely smell a fresh, slightly mossy scent... except every now and then I get tantalizing whiffs of dewy violet which interrupt me as I try to place what I'm smelling...

This is a really interesting scent, unusual and fun to wear as a change from the norm. I like it pretty well, but I'm going to have to try it again before I'm sure what I think of it.

In the imp this is a blast of mint with a violet undertone. I'm not a eucalyptus or neroli fan, and I feel like the combo of those two notes kinda gives this a funky edge to it...

This is definitely much better on my skin-lovely minty violet...reminds me a bit of Violet Ray but with eucalyptus/neroli and much stronger on the mint than the violet.

Yeah, I would overall call this a very nice violet-y mint. I like this, but there are better violet blends I like and better mint blends I like, so I wouldn't purchase a bottle of this blend. Definitely worth checking out if the description intrigues you!

Wet: Violet with mint and eucalyptus.

Drying: The violet calms a bit and now it almost smells like a mint tea with a hint of the violets and I think neroli? It is a bit medicinal smelling, but I like that.

Dried down: Doesn't change all that much. I'm not usually a fan of violet scents, but I really like this. The violet and the mints really balance each other well. It's both comforting and a bit invigorating. I am feeling a little under the weather today and this was the perfect scent to try. I also think that it will get a lot of use this summer, so I might have to get a bottle. :P

When I test, I always test my elbow and my wrist. With Ultraviolet, I realise again why I do it!

On my wrist, its delicious violets - calm and sweet and classic. It has a slight herbal undertone and a refreshing throw.

At my elbow, this is a BLAST of eucalyptus and overwhelming fresh-cut mint. It smells like a herbal head-ache remedy. If I sniff for long enough, I get a slight floral overtone but this is just TOO strong! Makes me see white light in my eyes when they're shut, it hurts so much to sniff. Yet my wrists are so nice? I don't get it.

A half-hour later, my elbow is still pretty much a herbal-health-blast but I can sniff that it's dying down and becoming akin to what my wrist smelt like. The scent on my wrist is near disappeared now.

It's a stroppy scent. I KNOW it smells lovely, it's just trying to tame it so it's all violet, all the time, with a HINT of the herbal yumminess.

7/10 because I KNOW it should score high for me, but I can't warrant anything more due to it's... weirdness.

Sniffed in imp: Extremely pale yellow oil. Nauseating pennyroyal and rotten things and very mentholic, harsh, brutal eucalyptus. I had to close the imp cap immediately.

I like this one, and I don't normally do florals. It's cool, cold, almost calculating, but the sweetness and the depth of the violet sweeten it, and warm it a bit. It honestly reminds me of a Shakespeare line--"Look like the flower, but be the serpent under it." This is that perfume. You think it's a nice floral but then you hit the bite, and it stings so wonderfully.

Yay for a floral I can wear.