Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

... this is the essence of Victorian-era spiritualism: rosewood, oak and teak notes with wispy blue lilac, tea rose, dried white rose and ethereal osmanthus.

This is the tale of two body chemistries: my husband got Ouija as a frimp with an order that he placed. I like it when he orders, because I get to sample his frimps! Wheeeee... So we both tried Ouija, because we both liked how it smelled in the imp. It's kind of woody-spicy to my nose. On our bodies, it changed almost instantly -- his body turned it to spicy, smoky wood, very masculine, while my body amped the florals. Within a half hour, Ouija was a gorgeous scent on him -- woody, spicy, with a little depth that I'd guess was the florals lurking underneath. On me, it's all rose and lilac. Not that bad, very old-fashioned and indeed, Victorian. But in the sniff-off, Ouija won out on his body chemistry. It smells good enough from this first test that it may merit ordering a bottle for his use!

valentina Edited by Shollin

Quija has been on my wishlist for a while and I got a frimp of it from a forum purchase (thank you btw) to finally test out.

I must say, it's quite nice. I'm not a big fan of roses or rose scents but Quija smells lovely. It's a beautiful floral, and I agree to the description of Victorian. It does seem very fitting to that era.

It also has a nice throw which I can always appreciate.

I wouldn't put it high on my big bottle wishlist but I wouldn't mind getting a bottle one day.

7/10

this was a frimp from the lab, and another one i never would have tried on my own! thank you, lab!

as it turns out, i love ouija! it's the first blend with wood in it (other than sandalwood, that is!) that i've been able to wear...usually the wood just overwhelms everything and leaves me smelling either masculine (not my thing) or like furniature. but not ouija! i smell like lovely roses and lilacs, grounded by the wood in the background.

so very pleased :P

A light, wispy, creeping rose scent. This one reminds me a bit of Seance, but not quite as rosey. It's a very airy, white smell, and does indeed make me think of conjouring with a Ouija board in a dark, spooky attic. The pink smelling tea rose is definitely on top, and the other flowers combine to form a fleeting, barely there feminine base. Really nice and pretty, but unfortunately does not last on me. Gone like a ghost :P

Ouija contains rosewood, tea rose, and dried white rose... amongst other things. This is a very lovely scent, but the rose turns this soapy on me (aaaah not again). Aside from the rose notes, there are some wood notes that balance this out a bit and keep it from being a super floral. For some reason I'm thinking there's a hint of water/aquatic/clean/ozone notes too; it's very light, reminiscent of a delicate breeze/mist/dew/tiny droplets of water slowly condensing on the bathroom mirror after taking a hot shower.

On me, this is, for lack of a better word, fresh. It's so well-rounded a blend I cannot tell any of the ingredients apart (not even the rose notes or the lilac, which I usually find rather quickly). Nonetheless, it never turns to powder or soap on me, and it stays with me forever, especially for a scent like this. The woods must anchor it, even though I can't really separate them from the florals in this, as stated above. It is a bright scent, but not overly flowery or girly, definitely something I'll wear in the future. *puts on the bigger bottle list*

Edited by Diva Urd

First this is a hardly perceptable, slightly powdery, pink cosmetics scent, a little bit vintage, maybe.

Then bright slightly bitter roses, plus other florals. The florals combine for a nice and fresh glowing scent in the background of what elsewise is a dry woody ethereal blend. Rosewood especially tends to go super-dry and powdery on my skin.

Tiffy, the neighbour's cat, seemed to like the scent because she was really flirting with me today when normally she never gets close.

For my own taste, I think this is a little to light and bright and sharp maybe.

I also have major problems in becoming aware of the scent at all, as its so typically along the lines of cosmetic products which I blame the rosewood for.

It's not entirely boring or commercial smelling, though. There's this vintage vibe with it, and actually there's some sweetness from the flowers coming out later on me, rounding the whole scent out, taking away some of the dustiness.

I think it's strong, too, without me noticing, but when wearing this while being with people some hours ago, I ever once in a while got quite heavy whiffs of Ouija, and ended up wondering whether it could be bothering for the others. Noone's said anything, though.

Ouija actually reminds me of Lush's Softy Ballistic a little bit. It's a little bit dryer maybe and the ylang ylang is missing and replaced by blue-ish clear fresh florals.

After a while Ouija softens quite a bit, getting more round, the freshness of the florals sadly doesn't seem to last for very long.

Underneath I can detect a note that I think I recognize vaguely as oak. It gives a bit of a backbone to this ethereal, dusty blend, and feels dark golden brown like maybe a massive heavy table where the people participating in the Ouija thingy are gathered at.

There's also something slightly citrussy in this.

It's on the edge of turning too soapy and dry, but then something natural and real smelling manages to peak through the dust.

I'm not sure, I'd wear this often, but I'll keep an imp around for a while.

It's the roses again. They hate me, I hate it. The roses completely takes over once again and I can't get anything else out of it. It makes me want to swear off roses entirely, and yet there has been a few fragrances where I haven't detected it at all. Tricksy!

I got this as a frimp from the Lab.

In the bottle, it's a woodsy floral. On me, it's a very pretty scent of rose/lilac/woods that does remind me of an antique Victorian parlor. Very dainty and old-fashioned feminine, like dried flowers and gold lockets.

Wet- This is a nice soft floral with a bit of wood beneath it. It smells like what I imagine a Victorian parlor smelled like. It's very light, and I had to slather it on to smell it at all.

Dry- Rose-scented soap. Now instead of a Victorian parlor, it smells like a Victorian themed bathroom in a model home. And it fades in only a few minutes.

In vial- I get kind of a flowery, generic perfume smell. There's something sharp smelling in there. It mihg tbe one of the woods, but it could also be the osmanthus. I admit to having no clue what osmanthus smells like.

On me- Mmm. Here come the roses and lilac. I can smell the teak in there too. This is just lovely. It's soft, yet lasted a very long time. I could still smell it around 8 hours later. This one's a keeper.

It smells of sweet light flowers. I think I detect tea rose in there, but I'm not sure. There is a dusty layer over that, which is quite soft and pleasant.

I could have sworn I've tried this oil already, but I haven't reviewed it, so maybe I didn't? Or maybe I did, but I didn't keep track of it. Oh well.

First sniff of Ouija on my skin: "Erm. No."

Ouija has some sort of generic perfume smell (oh weird, opaleyes said so, too) that I really can't define as being any sort of flower note. It's more cloying than refreshing, and it doesn't strike me as something I like. It might be a rose note, as I do sense something of that ilk in the foreground, but I really can't tell.

Unlike the experience of some reviewers, I don't find Ouija very light at all. It seems heavy with a mix of resin and the bittersweet florals (definitely rose now). I really can't say I'm feeling this oil. I'm pretty sure I've tried it once before, because it smells familiar. Ouija has this very cloistered feeling that seems almost oppressively rose for me.

I think my last experience with Ouija might have been during my great rose-hating phase. Since then, I've managed to find some oils with rose I do like, such as Harlot, Rose Red, Bearded Lady, Love in the Asylum and Maiden. Trying on Ouija now, though, almost makes me want to take up a sign and picket roses again. I've mentioned before that there are some roses that work well on me, and others that seem to go soapy/powdery on me, and this oil experience falls into the latter category.

-doreen

This is an interesting scent -- part dry and woody, part high sweet floral, and the two components balance each other rather nicely. It's definitely predominantly floral, at least on me, but the woods keep it from being too over-the-top sweet, and give it some depth.

It does very much come across as ethereal and otherworldly -- at the risk of sounding overly geeky, it's very much something I could see my Wraith character wearing (if she could interact with physical objects, anyway). It's not my usual sort of scent, but I'm not sure I'm altogether ready to consign it to the swaps... It has potential, at least for some occasions.

Grade: B

Bottle: something sweet and strange, must be the osmanthus, I don't know that note at all. teak behind it and hints of wood.

Wet: green, not-quite-minty, and then the floral opening behind it. less of the teak. This reminds me of something, but I'm not sure what that is.

Dry: the woods are coming to the fore, with a veil of green behind them. I can catch the dried floral in wafts, like an afterthought.

Later: we're back to that sweet note. I never did quite detect the lilac. this keeps flipping on me - I don't think it likes my chemistry.

In the bottle: I think rose and a very green, slightly spicy note that I can't place.

Wet: The green smell takes over, I've smelled it elsewhere but I don't know what it is - I wonder if it isn't a component of Beth's tea rose actually. Then it gets quite warm and dry as various woods kick in.

Drydown: It's a spicy green and woody scent. The rose is intermingling with it, a white rose smell. The woods are very soft and warm and mix well with the rose. I don't get any other flower, or at least nothing obvious. There's a slight bitterness to this from the woods.

Overall: There's a "polished table" feel to this scent, along with the perfume of roses that makes everything smell elegant. It smells rich and woody with very sweet roses all around it. A nice scent for a ouija session, though I see it as rather bright instead of mysterious. Also, one of the components smells a bit like burnt rubber in an afterscent, which isn't something I want to smell of...

I did smell chocolate when it was in the bottle, but as soon as I put it on, I just got The Great Floral Waft. Imagine if you will a huge animated blossom, Sgt. Pepper's style, and out of this trumpet-like bloom, flowers of all different colors keep piling out, covering each other up, more and more of them, and you will have an idea of how I experience the floral scents I have been trying lately. I just sort of stand back, and go, "Whoa. trippy. that sure is floral."

My nose, it's just not terribly discerning.

I didn't smell wood at all. Unless that was what that chocolate smell was at the beginning. I did however smell...LILAC! I love lilac, really I do, but this just didn't speak to me.

And then, in the end, it turned to soap.

Another one to swap.

The first impression, in the bottle and wet on the skin, is roses, but very faint roses, the ghosts of roses, which seems apropos for Ouija. Ordinarily roses tend to overwhelm, and a little goes a long way, but I found myself reapplying this blend to get more of a hit from it, more throw. As it warmed and wafted around me, the spicy-dry wood notes come through the roses, pushing them to the background. Now I see the darkened Victorian parlor, polished woods and Persian rugs, a fringed cloth covering a table on which rests an old Ouija board. There is a rose lying beside it, fading fast. A whiff of candlesmoke as a candle is blown out by a passing spirit. This is a scent that would be good while reading a mystery story on a stormy night, or when sorting through old letters.

I had such high hopes for Ouija...I love all the notes in the description.

Imp: Lilac, wood, and something almost papery.

Wet: Tea rose. Strong and pink and smells like high school.

Drydown: Roses still.

30 minutes: Cedar and rosewood under the rose, and if it stayed like this it would be a 10ml purchase. Unfortunately....

60 minutes: Absolutely gone. I never got the lilacs, and the initial burst of single-note tea rose is too sweet & generic for something that's gone in an hour. I'll keep looking for something that does the cedar/rose thing but doesn't disappear. Bummer.

WAY TOO HEAVY!

Very woodsy at first, but then the florals overpower everthing else, and just becomes too much. I had to wash it off, but unfortunately I think I got some on my shirt because the smell just won't go away.

Ouija - What a pretty scent! It’s very soft and floral, and fortunately (for me) the wood notes stay in the background. They are present, but only emphasize the ethereal beauty of the lilac and roses. When I wear this, I can’t help but think of Mrs. Bess Houdini sitting around the table with the medium, hoping that her beloved Harry Houdini would speak to her from beyond, whispering their secret code so she would know it was him. It’s definitely a spooky but beautiful and romantic scent. I love it!

Heavy, heavy roses with this one . . . One of the first rose scents from BPAL that I actually don't like. As some reviewers have mentioned, something in this blend is reminiscent of smoke, but not Brimstone-sharp woodsmoke; the florals are ever-present. When I asked my mother to sniff it, without having seen the description, she immediately thought of cigarette smoke.

This one's just too heavy for me.

Ouija is a generic, dusty tea rose on me that starts to turn slightly sour. Fortunately it doesn't seem to last long, and it's not something I'd wear again.