Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Voleuse

Port Royal

The Sodom of the New World! -- touted as the richest and wickedest city in all creation! Port Royal was the center of 17th century Caribbean commerce, a notorious safe harbor for pirates, and the site of our third flagship store, which was, sadly, destroyed in the earthquake of 1692. Spiced rum and ship’s wood mixed with the body-warmed trace of a prostitute’s perfume and a hint of salty sea air on the dry-down.

This is a languid perfume on first application, a slightly powdery floral overlaid with spice and a bit of musk. To my nose, this is the foreground of the scent. As I sniff more deeply, I can smell a little bit of ocean, and a dry wood note. There's an elusive booziness as well--whenever I try to pin it down, it slips away from me.

I like this! It's an evocative scent, and quite complex. The perfuminess of it lends it a feminine air, but it never quite settles down on simply perfume. It's sensual, but absent as well, as if it's preoccupied with what's going on outside the window. (I don't know when I started to anthropomorphize BPAL scents, but this one certainly deserves it!)

Port Royal is another semi-aquatic. There is a bit of ozoney seaspray in this, but it really is a rum and wood blend. Even the rum note here is not what I would consider to be obvious, and the wood is not heavy-handed. The 'prostitute's perfume' smells far away and faded somehow as well, and it contributes to the overall feel of the blend which is of a place that is awash with fresh air carrying a breath of the sea.

For some reason, the notes here combine in a way that smells like bubblegum. I don't know how that's possible, but that's what my chemistry is doing to it. It's like a rum bubblegum. There's a certain kind of charm to that, but this might not be for me.

I put some of this on my boyfriend and it smells great. The rum is almost like caramel on him, and the wood notes are very nice as well. So I think this imp will go into his BPAL box for days when he consents to let me dab some on him. :P

To my nose, Port Royal smells just a like an expensive antique wood box full of spice. I don't smell rum and I don't smell sea air. I dabbed it on the BF who said he's been pining for a BPAL that would make him smell like a merchant trader from the 1700s - minus the ocean. And I dabbed it on me, even though I "can't wear woods".

Lo and behold! It smells just gorgeous on the both of us. All the things I can't wear: Bengal, Three Witches, Morrocco -- all those scents that have a weird note on me -- I can wear Port Royal. Furthermore, it's the first "wood scent" I can wear where the wood is predominant. I am SO excited! On me it's like what I expected Bengal to smell like -- all chai spices and the added richness of wood. I am very very happy and hope to aquire a 5ml soon.

On the BF it smells perfect, as usual -- they always smell perfect on him! :P How come HE get's perfect skin chemistry?!

n.

Wow, I like this a lot more than I thought I would!

For some reason I was expecting something like Jolly Roger, and Port Royal is nothing like that. Much more perfumey, with that sort of stinging quality that I like about the perfumey blends. The spiced rum is prominent, and I love the woodiness to it. When it's dry I can definitely pick up the salty sea air. It smells exotic and deep. Excellent throw, too.

This one's a keeper.

Usually my skin amps acquatics, but this? Wood and spice at first, and then the florals come out, but not obnoxiously.

Unfortunately, it disappears in seconds on me. I'd love for it to last, it's a beautiful scent.

A.

Really wanted to love this one; a scent called Port Royal? How cool!

Read on to see how it fared.

imp: Spicy, with an undercurrent of ... something piney? Or a fougere?

on: Pure cardamom! After several hours, settles into a fougere.

So: nice, but it's not for me. Might try it on Hubby if he doesn't mind smelling like cardamom for an hour or so ... or perhaps it will smell completely different on him!

In Bottle: Salty wood

On Skin: This is so interesting! I smell the salty air right away. The wood is the second most dominant wood, deep, wet and musty. The rum is sweet and dark with a gorgeous spice that is very attractive. I actually think this scent is quite masculine and as far as shi and pirate scents go, this is my favorite so far. It is also a bit perfumey, but not in an expensive department store floral way… more soapy and ozoney. I really want to smell this on my husband. Average throw with a nice long wearlength.

holy shit i love this :P

oh yeah...from the imp...sweet wood... :D

but once this hits my skin ... hold on for the ride of your life.....

aquatic air....sea salt....weathered boards from a ship....yes...i get

all this from this beautiful perfume.....omG...a big bottle order...YES....

fucking amazing...omG....did beth make this for me exclusively?!??!?

One of the new Wanderlust's for the Fall 2006 season and beautiful. It's sort of a departure for BPAL, it's very perfumy and difficult to pick out each note as you can with some. They blend together as if they were made for each other. I get the impression of all the things that others have mentioned, and also a good shot of lavender...but better. Like the best part of lavender without all the rest of it.

This is a remarkably beautiful blend, it radiates and lasts for a very long time. It's a bit masculine, but certainly not unfit for a woman. I really give this one a hearty thumbs up.

This time around the Wanderlusts really have captivated me. I imagine there are some similarities among them BUT each one stands on it's own. Pontarlier, Port Royal, Manhattan, and Lyonesse are not to be missed.

Port Royal

In the imp: a gorgeously spicy (ginger?) and bracing take on the 'sea air' smell. I smell sandalwood and something like lavender in here. This smells promising.

Wet on skin: the imp was very leaky with only a drop left, so I applied what was left of the poor imp on me…mmm, spicy gingery-peppery rum and wood!

Dry on skin: this is very nice, so far. There's a note underneath reminiscent of the soapy aquatic from Jolly Roger that I wasn't keen on, but the spices, rum and woods are keeping it back for now. I love the spicy mixture I'm getting here-is this the 'prostitute's perfume'? If so, it's gorgeous. It actually reminds me of the gingery-boozy-smoky-musk scent I got from Devil's Night! Only this time with a little more wood, something peppery, and a hint of sea spray, adding it's salty freshness.

After a while: yup, there's the aquatic from Jolly Roger alright, it does turn a tad laundry like on my skin but it's not too bad here. The spices are keeping it in check. There's an almost fruity-floral feel to the scent here at this point. I like this-it smells clean yet warm as well.

The soapy scent I feared would take over never really does, which is a good thing. As the smell fades away like a ship leaving port, fading into floral scented sea mist, I smell that peppery spice in it's wake-and I swear I can detect the slightest hint of gunpowder…

Verdict: this, to me, is a more wearable version of Jolly Roger. It's more unisex, and has the most wonderful spicy woody note ever. Over the slightly soapy but thankfully more restrained aquatic notes of sea spray and sea mist is a spiced rum, smoke, wood and perfume scent which reminds me of the smoky booze from Devil's Night, that same gingery scent but with additional spices and even a little gunpowder. The woods are deliciously soft and fragrant-not manly woods at all, and the aquatics here do sometimes turn pleasantly floral, yet also salty and bracing. I even smell a little bit of light musk in there. It's a delightful scent in all-I'm not sure if I'll get a bottle as sometimes the aquatic note does smell a little bit too much like washed clothes for me, and I do prefer Anne Bonny and Black Pearl as far as pirate scents go. But it's a scent I might consider getting more of, just for that wonderful spicy woodsy scent and, of course, it's piratical associations. Arr!

Emoticon rating: :P

If you like this, try: Jolly Roger, Grog

Edited by yeahbutnobut

From Port Royal I get a sweet, soapy seaspray.. No rum to be seen (or smelled). It's a bit like Jolly Roger only sweeter. I wasn't fond of Jolly Roger...so.. It goes to the husband to test!

When first applied, Port Royal has some potential, with a flush of ozone-y aquatic fougere circling about some sharp peppered notes of spice. No real wood, yet. However, despite the promising start, this quickly turns to the scent of a spicy candle upon drydown, the aquatic/ozony part completely gone and the spices jumbling with nothing to ground them :D The notes are neither clear or defined, and there's still no woods. *Glares at skin chemistry* :P

Alas, not for me.

Court

Initially, this was all xmas candle on me. I can smell the woods from Anne Bonny in the background while something red and fruity plays at the forefront.

As this dries something strange happens to the fruit that's really hard to explain. They don't go away, but get creamier...more bearable and less xmas-y. Court mentioned fougere which I think best describes this phenomenon. The wood does dwindle a bit, I have to sniff at the wrist to smell it.

The drydown is absolutely lovely and I think I can live through the xmas candle bit to get to the good stuff. I love Anne Bonny but sometimes wonder if it's too manly at times. Port Royal doesn't quite give me a less masculine Bonny but I still like it.

I really like Port Royal. Somehow, between ordering it and receiving it, I'd convinced myself that it would just be a not-so-hot Jolly Roger. Thankfully, it more than exceeded those rather pathetic expectations.

On my wrists, this is spiced old woods - treasure chests - with just a touch of salt air. Mmmmm. An instant favourite.

Port Royal - This is an incredibly woody and spicy scent from the get-go. It doesn't morph on me at all. I don't really smell the "salty sea air" in this blend, although it does remind me of a cross between Anne Bonny and Port-au-Prince. It's incredibly sexy and spicy and gorgeous. Initially, the throw is strong, but mellows upon drydown. The staying power is impressive -- definitely well above average. I'm hanging on to this one. It's really great.

Very strong, spiced wood. Treasure chests indeed! I don't get any sea air, and it really doesn't remind me of Jolly Roger, but I can see a likeness to Anne Bonny, which I prefer. This has the same richness and spiciness, but is more woody, and has a bigger "bite" to it's spice. I think this is a more masculine blend, with excellent throw and staying power, and while it is nice, is not something I'll keep.

Port Royal is a masculine, spicy, warm, musky sort of scent with hints of dark, dry wood. It's a little too much on the sharp/musky side of things for me, but I think that this would smell so cozy and wonderful on the right man. I love the wood notes in this. It has great staying power too, and I'm happy that the spices aren't overwhelming and that this blend isn't too sweet. I can imagine the clean, rugged, tan, muscular, dark haired pirate on the cover of romance novels to smell like this, lol. I slathered this one on my husband and it smelled lovely on him, but still a little too musky for my tastes. I can't wait to try the bptp Port Royal soap, though. I think that this will be awesome in soap-form.

Edited by Little Bird

Hah! This is the first time I get to use that phrase: I'd love a man who was covered in this scent. In fact, I am pretty sure this is what Commodore Norrington smells like, and who wouldn't want to dream about that?

When wet, Port Royal is a sweet, floral rum concoction that is truly exotic and pretty strong. As it dries, the scent calms down a bit and turns more spicy.

I end up with clean, soap and seaspray skin-scent masked by strong, sweet spices - mostly cardamom and a bit of clove, I think. This would be lovely on a guy.

ETA 11/04: Ok, I think I am going to need a bottle of this after all. The warm spicieness of this is just too much to resist. :P

Edited by Dinah

Wet this is sweet tropical fruits mixed with spice and wood. When first on this is breezy tropical fruits mixed with warm spices. It becomes a bit soapy but in a good way. A fresh spicy soap with a hint of florals. I can smell the rum too. It doesn't really change much after that. This captures the feeling of the theme very well but I think it's a bit too spicy for me.

Spices. And rum. And sea spray. And a tiny bit of musk.

This won't be an every day scent, but oh, when I want it, I'll revel in it. Complex and strong.

in the imp it's all light woods and air.

wet, i can barely find where i put it on my skin.

it's still very very faint, but it's warming up into a cinnamony spice.

eek. and there are some hints of floralmaking it go soapy. silly prostitues perfume!! I'm realy sad, as none of the "seafaring" scents have worked for me yet.

Rating (on skin): 4/5

Summarised in a few words/smilie: Wood and rum!

In the imp: Salty, spiced rum. It's surprisingly faint in the imp.

On skin, wet: Salty, rummy wood and cinnamon. A very odd combination, all told.

On skin, dry: Musty, wet wood and very dark, salty rum. It's not something I traditionally care for, but I'm finding myself fond of it. There's something familiar about PR, some strangely comforting, musky quality I can't place. It's very "manly," as such scents go. I might try to persuade my current Boy to bathe give this a go.

Conclusion/Notes: Not my bag as far as scents I'd wear myself go, but it might be wonderful on a Boy. Especially mine.

I received this as a frimp and it turns out that I love it and I want a bottle now. This is going to sound stupid, but it makes me feel like a pirate. :P

In the bottle I smell wood and something like salt in the air. I tried it on and the spicy comes out. I smell it and it makes my tongue tingle just a bit. As it dries, the saltiness goes away leaving a really nice woody smell with the spicy rum.

It stays with me all day and I get a kick out of it. :D Yarr.

I need a bottle. Yep.

In the interest of full disclosure, I should admit that the description of Port Royal could have read, "Washed up fish carcasses touched by the body odor of men fresh from three months at sea, with a whiff of lantern oil and salt-brined pork" and I would have still ordered it and kept it in my collection.

It didn't, though, and I'm happy to report that only do I love the concept of Port Royal, I'm quite fond of the perfume itself. On initial application, it's very woody, calling to mind the creaking of ships swaying gently in port. The drydown is like entering the city. The smell of wet wood stays, but is joined by something warm and spicy. I was worried about Port Royal being too perfumey but it's not at all. It's ships and spice, warmth and debauchery, a well-earned respite from care. I see a big bottle in my future.

Spicy, lightly sweet rum deepened by wood. When I inhale deeply, it's underlaid by a rush of salt air. I love this one.