Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
oakmoss

When you need something comforting or cheering

I can't believe that no one has mentioned Angeronalia. It's the perfect scent for post snowstorm winter days.

Also, R'Lyeh is my go to scent for rainy summer days. It must be all the citrus.

No scent has been better at getting and then keeping me in a good cheery disposition than 51. I have been around the BPAL block so to speak.. but just got an imp of 51 for Christmas this year. I don't even like... love it to pieces or anything, and I certainly don't find myself reaching for it all that often but.. my boyfriend and I play a game where I ask him what I should smell like for the day.. he usually gives me scenarios.. or feelings.. rather than notes.. and I believe the day I tested 51 I was suppose to smell like bright sunshine.. sitting outside, not being worried about anything just enjoying.. and 51 just captures that so well.. bright and happy without being.. commercial or.. fake-ish smelling. I did a search and didn't see anyone else mention 51, which kind of bums me out (as I truly think it is fabulous).. maybe I should put some on now to conteract the being bummed.. :P

Nothing cheers me up like Selkie. It's such a fresh, lively scent. If I'm in a bad mood, I put that on and it just brightens my day. :P

Dorian is what I go to when I need something comforting and cozy.

Sugar Skulls. Boomslang.

Oh, and Midway makes me smile every time I smell it! It is just so crazy that a perfume can really, truly smell like a carnival midway.

Edited by Czarina

Antique Lace is a very comforting, calming smell for me. I have a hard time reaching for anything else when I am in need of something soothing and light.

I end up falling in love with various LEs, have the sexy smells, the perky smells, but the one that I find most comforting and keep coming back to is Morocco. And more recently I have found Spirits of the Dead and Angeronalia both really soothing (but less flannel-pjs feel than Morocco).

The Sportive Sun has definitely turned into my comfort scent -- it's so warm and soothing! I hate to use the word "snuggly" (such inelegant connotations! :P ) but it often does feel that way to me.

Guess I have to go hunting for a backup bottle...

My surefire, happy scents are Iambe, and Thaleia (both are completely against my typical scent nature).

For comfort, I turn to Quietude or Baghdad (which reminds me of my grandmother, in a very safe, comforting way).

Veil picks me up when i'm sad or worried. It reminds me of an oil blend my mom used to make when i was little, and for whatever reason, that's a really comforting memory.

Versailles is also a cheering scent to me, but if i'm too bummed out to start with, it just irritates me.

This thread is such a fascinating read! Different people have such different takes on what constitutes a comforting scent -- it's so interesting. I love to *eat* delicious food when I'm sad (I will head straight for the cheese fries!), but given that I'm not a foody/fruity scent person in the first place, I find them even more offputting when I need something to actively comfort me or cheer me up -- whereas for the foody/fruity crowd, that seems to be (understandably) the first place they turn. OTOH, I have an unholy passion for all things mint and aquatic (not necessarily together, though minty aquatic does sound rather awesome), but that isn't necessarily where I'd turn either. Mint, definitely not. Fascinating.

Anyway, topic! My scents:

For comfort -- Safari. I find it deep, grounding, and infinitely soothing.

For cheer -- Olokun. This is partially because it's just a bright happy scent and partially because I have very happy associations with it. Every time I smell it it makes me smile.

Comfort scent is Snow Moon, which reminds me of my beloved North Carolina mountains in winter time. This can put me to sleep like no other scent, even those containing lavender. Snow Moon was my first BPAL obsession, and I have managed to amass an almost unconscionable number of bottles.

My favorite cheery scent is Jazz Funeral. Something about its bright citrus with its underlying dirt note is just amazing to me, and any time I sniff it I smile. Thank goodness it's a GC, and one I hope never gets discontinued.

Comfort scent is Snow Moon, which reminds me of my beloved North Carolina mountains in winter time. This can put me to sleep like no other scent, even those containing lavender. Snow Moon was my first BPAL obsession, and I have managed to amass an almost unconscionable number of bottles.

Oh, this makes me want to try Snow Moon. I was born and raised in the NC mountains. *is now homesick*

Oh, this makes me want to try Snow Moon. I was born and raised in the NC mountains. *is now homesick*

PM me; I think I'll be able to enable you with a decant...

Lemon Scented sticky Bat and O - i can't praise them enough for their comfort-inducing qualities :hug:

that is me in a nutshell today. i'm a fairly slow-moving bpal user and am only slowly beginning to show signs of addiction. i just received my third ever shipment of imps and i've been concealing some shakes and uncontrollable giddiness. so clearly, my imps are the only way i can avoid said gloominess. so which one of these imps should i test first (they're all new to me) to keep the frownies away today? of the 12 i got, i'm most inclined to try one of these: salome, crossroads, anne bonny, the apothecary, kyoto, the red queen, love lies bleeding. i think djinn and the high priest not to be described are for days when i actually want to wallow. hell's belle and urd were my frimps, so i have no idea. which first?!

I'm even newer to BPAL, so I've only actually tried one of those scents...thankfully, it's just the one I want to recommend! I find Hell's Belle to be a remarkably soothing scent, and once the scent dries down a bit, it has a soft, spicy-creamy scent that is very comforting without being a foody smell. It's sweet, but not too heavy, and I've found that it tends to be so relaxing and comforting for me (and my fiance, at that!) that it is very conducive to a nice, cozy nap. Of course, skin chemistry varying as wildly as it can, your mileage may vary.

For comfort, I like Alice, The Lights Of Men's Lives and The Jersey Devil. I usually wear one of these when I can't sleep/have just woken up from a nightmare. They make me feel snuggly and protected. :)

When I need to cheer up I tend to reach for either Delirium, Mania or Gnome. Gnome, especially, makes me ridiculously happy; it's so, for a lack of a better word, shiny.

(Fighter makes me very happy too, but that's because it's the sexiest thing I've ever smelled. :wub: )

For cheering up: Lick It (any version), Lemon Scented Sticky Bat, Cake Smash

For comfort: the Lights of Men's Lives, Snow White, Sachs

My favorite comfort scent is Western Diamondback. Something about the combination of leather, sage, and Snake Oil just makes me feel everything's going to be all right.

I'm even newer to BPAL, so I've only actually tried one of those scents...thankfully, it's just the one I want to recommend! I find Hell's Belle to be a remarkably soothing scent, and once the scent dries down a bit, it has a soft, spicy-creamy scent that is very comforting without being a foody smell. It's sweet, but not too heavy, and I've found that it tends to be so relaxing and comforting for me (and my fiance, at that!) that it is very conducive to a nice, cozy nap. Of course, skin chemistry varying as wildly as it can, your mileage may vary.

I find Helle's Belle the same way! I wore it when I was really nervous for a test that I had to do and it definately made me feel better. I think that its the Magnolia in it which makes it smell soft and creamy. For other comforting scents - Dana O Shee, White Rabbit, Queen of Hearts, Desdemona

To cheer me up: Dana O'Shee again, Alice, High Strung Daisies

It's not exactly *cheery* but I always reach for Van Van when I am feeling a little rocky. Often when I wake up having indulged a bit the night before. I use it for 'purification' and it always makes me stand up straighter.

(On the above, my Middle School son wore Gnome to the dance last Saturday....)