Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
oakmoss

When you need something comforting or cheering

You know the type of day: you're awakened too early by a phone call that didn't leave a message, or by the sound of the cat hacking up something that you are sure to step in as soon as you get out of bed. In the shower, you drop a 20-pound bottle of conditioner on your toe, and forget to put a towel within reach. It's going to be hot and everything you think of wearing just irks you for a number of reasons. Your day hasn't even started yet, and you just hate everyone and everything on the planet.

What scent do you wear?

For me, it's Alice, and I feel better already. :P

Oh, for me it is not what I wear that necessarily cheers me, but the scent of Dracul left behind on my husband's pillow that can cheer me. But, if that doesn't cure my woes, a bit of Dana O'Shee seems to help me quite a bit. Very comforting scent, especially when the kids are acting up as it reminds me of a fresh, clean baby which reminds me that they will always be my little babies, no matter what.

Sudha Segara is my main comfort scent. If I really want something joyous, I add a little Bewitched. Yummy, spicy berries and cream... :P

I can think of a few others, like Milk Moon or White Rabbit...all of which are somewhat similar. I think I like milky scents...:D

That would be a Water of Notre Dame day. A calm-down-and-feel-zen sort of scent. Believe in the voodoo! :P

I believe, I believe! And there isn't a scent here I wanted to love more than Water of Notre Dame, truly. But it just goes so foul on me, though I like it in the bottle. This might be one for a scent locket at some point.

After discovering Alice recently, I think it would do the same for me.

Also Dorian is very cheerful and comfortable, and Maiden, and Santa Muerte, which is like a huge, sunny, yellow rose on me.

something light.

dorian, aunt caroline's joy mojo, sybaris, etc.

The Dormouse made me very happy and girly feeling yesterday. I need some now to wipe away my annoyance with blood lotus today....

For rotten cranky apathetic days, I go for Haunted. When I'm gloomy and sad, I find that Lady Macbeth serves to put a spring in my step. It's difficult to be irritable when you smell like an evil juicebox.

Admittedly, that's about 1/3 the BPAL I've ever tried, but it still works like a charm.

Corazon made me capable of going to work when I was having a truly craptacular day several weeks ago.

Chaste Moon always makes me feel warm and happy. It's my snuggle smell.

If I'm feeling really bitchy for no good reason, Szepasszony usually makes me chill.

Sudha Segara is at the top of the list for moments I want to just snuggle into a blanket and just disappear. If I need something to cheer me up or lighten my mood, I'll go with Embalming Fluid, although Phantasm is very similar. I've tried Nanshe only once, but lemongrass is such a familiar, cheery and comforting scent that I wouldn't be surprised if I deplete my imp soon.

I would normally recommend Dorian as well, but... the first time I wore Dorian I had to be taken to the hospital. No, not because of Dorian, but in any case, it's hard to shake it as a bad-luck scent for me. The next time I wore it, I had a really bad day: the water for tea wasn't hot at work, I was cranky with my boyfriend, etc. Maybe I somehow got some bizarre cursed imp or something.

Wearing Dorian at work did make everyone who smelled me want cookies, though. That reminded me that I had a cookie in my bag, stashed away. So maybe it's not cursed after all. I'm still a bit leery, though.

-doreen