Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
zillah37

Doc Constantine (2006)

Ha! I'm with many others on this thread- almost immediate lemon pledge. It smelled better on my DH but he didn't care for it.

Lemon? What?

I'm mostly getting cedar, which is a shame, because I really wanted this to be more complex and even-handed with all the notes. Maybe that's the furniture polish sharpness people are getting, the cedar?

After the cedar mellows, the musk isn't as buried, and the rest of it is the other notes together as this quiet little whispered conversation over in the corner. It does not last very long at all, maybe an hour, with the musk and cedar hanging around very faintly if you specifically sniff where it was put. So my two wishes for this is that it would last longer, and it wasn't so heavy on the cedar.

It's really good, and I'm keeping the imp, but I won't get a bottle mostly because it's gone in an hour no matter how much you put on.

Lemon verbena while wet. Half an hour later it's smoky incense. It's been about four hours since application now and it's very faint, but still an entrancing sort of wood smoke near the skin. Not something I'd have ever chosen for myself, but an unexpected hit.

In the bottle this smells very much like bergamont and pine, there's an almost menthol quality to it.

On my skin the citrus fades slightly and the pine comes out a bit more. Eventually the black amber makes an appearance, but it's subtle. Unfortunately I don't really get any leather or cedar. Just tangy citrus-pine.

This one lasts quite long on my skin (still there 8 hours later) and pretty much stays true to it's scent from the bottle. It doesn't really morph at all on me. I tend to favor masculine scents and this is the first scent I've tried that I felt was too masculine for me.

All in all, it's not for me.

Wet: Cleaner than I was expecting. Clean, smooth leather.

Drydown/Dry: Darker now. A spicy musk enters the picture, followed by a deep, blackened wood note (cedar). Smokey and masculine. It smells like a rough and dirty carpenter covered in soot (and I say that very fondly).

8 out of 10 bones

Doc has a sheer, sparkling quality about it when wet. It smells like bright but cologne-y/musky woods, which is pretty apt considering the description.

I do get some citrus early on - not sure where that comes from, but it dissipates in about 15 min.

Afterwards I get something more akin to BoneBone's description. It's drier and peaty almost, like the smell of a carpenter's clothes with some leather mixed in.

Still has the musk backdrop though, which will either be great or unfortunate for you.

It reminds me of an annoying college dude trying and failing to be sophisticated. Would've liked it more if it just stuck to the woods, but oh well.

To me it's a woodsy version of Galvanic Goggles (which I similarly didn't like but I know a lot of people love), so if you're into that I would check this one out.

I don't know how I feel about Doc...on me he smells like herbal medicine and a wooden box filled with leather. It is slightly smokey and dark. I like it, but sometimes I get a hint of dryer sheet. Hmm I think I will let this one settle more before trying it again, because all of the notes in this blend are recognizable and I like them all.