Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
zillah37

Doc Constantine (2006)

Sheer musk, cedar smoke, fir needle, black amber and leather.

I have problems with BPAL pine turning into cherry Nerds on me, so I was a bit worried about the good Doctor.

The worries turned out to be unfounded. BPAL *fir* is not BPAL *pine*. So if you have chemistry issues with pine (though I swear I'm the only one I know who turns pine into candy), the Doc may still work for you.

It's a wonderful bishie sort of scent -- manly, but softer than, say, Greed. I like more masculine scents, and I like things with a sharp edge to them. Doc fills the bill, and I'm glad I have a half-bottle all to myself. Doc Constantine is definitely a 'power' scent for me. Bahaha. (:

(Edited to add scent description.) Edited by Shollin

In the bottle: smokey cedar, ooh yeah baby!

Wet: smokey cedar, and I am in love! :P

Dry down: smokey cedar, and the smoke amps up. I love smoke so this is continuing to rock my world.

30 minutes: smokey cedar with an underlying creaminess.

Conclusion: love, love, love this! Smokey, woodsey, with a creamy base. This is more "masculine" but for girls like me who like to wear "masculine" this is a must have. I will be hording bottles and wishing the carnival would stay around forever.

Rating 1-5: on my skin this is a 5.

In the vial:

cedar

On me:

Not much to say about this one honestly - it's cedar cologne. That's what it smells like. Cedar is usually all wrong on me, so I have a feeling that other people will enjoy it more, but it's just not for me.

Final note:

Smells faintly sweet and musky after about 45 minutes of wear. But all before that, it's just heavy cedar.

I took a whiff of this in the bottle and thought it smelled very dark and intense. I got it on my arm and thought, "Now THAT is a MAN." Seriously, it's what ran through my mind. To be less libidinous and more specific, it has elements of a fresh campfire in a pine forest, well-worn leather, and a sort clean-yet-manly undertone of musk and amber. Normally I amp the crap out of both pine and leather, and in this scent, they actually hold their places very well. It's a very, very handsome scent. I'm normally someone who wears dark, yet feminine scents, and I wouldn't even mind wearing this fragrance (I bought it as a gift, but that doesn't stop me doing the toothpick test), although the way I'd like to wear it the most is by wearing a man's shirt after he'd applied this to his chest and then put the shirt on. That might be more than even I could take and I better stop writing now and just go off and have a really good fantasy. :P

I knew you'd break my heart, Doc. I knew.

But I still wasn't prepared for how MUCH heartbreak you'd bring! :) ;) B)

IT'S NOT FAIR!

I get that first fifteen minutes of perfection - you are a musky, woody, leathery SEX-BEAST of EPIC proportions. I think grown-up thoughts and swoon at what is a perfect, gentlemanly, and drop-dead gorgeous blend. You're everything I wanted! A thinking woman's man!

And then it's over. Powder of Doom takes you from me, and I'm scrubbing you off the very same wrist you just kissed.

I :P HATE :D MY :D SKIN CHEMISTRY! :D

I don't want to let you go! *sob* I'll try you on the boy...yes...try it on the boy...*mutter*

Edited by funkmoppet

In the imp: Piney but not über pine. The other notes are noticeable, which for me is a bit different, usually the evergreen scents knock out anything else in a blend. This is nice.

On the wrist: Clean, fresh and mildly antiseptic smelling. Sharp but not overwhelmingly so, leather lurking in the background.

Drydown: Hmm, the musk and fir have ganged up on the other notes and turned this into a sharp, acrid, burn the nose powdery scent. I can still barely smell the leather.

Overall: This would be a wonderful scent for someone who can do musks and loves the evergreen scents the lab makes.

Fir, amber, leather, smoke... they're all there and they're all something that makes me swoon when I smell this on a man. Sexy and lovely and I'm making my husband wear some!

In the bottle: Very woody. Wood scents make me wary, but I applied it anyway.

On skin: The wood fades away to musk. Sort of a dusty, old cabin in the wood sort of scent. Strange, but not completely unpleasant.

It's almost definitely a male scent. I'd love to have one of my guy friends try it. :P

On me, Doc Constantine is fir and cedar over musk with a little bit of leather. It's neutral bordering on masculine. I love it and I'll be sure to stock up before the Carnaval leaves.

Initially this smells like the men’s cologne Brut 33 (I think that’s the number). What I can pick out is the cedar smoke and leather – a very evergreen sort of scent as it dries down. I like the leathery note in this, makes it very comforting – very foresty. The leather continues to become evermore dominant, which is nice as BPAL leather blends are a treat. Now that the leather has become really prominent it smells like Paco Rabanne for men. A few hours later the leather is gone and I finally get the amber which I must say is lovely, more outstanding than the usual amber used.

oh my word, this is amazinggg on the SO...a dab of this on his neck in the morning was still sniffable at 10:00 pm. all soft cedar-y smoke. very sexy. it also reminds me of childhood a bit, wet rainy days with my dad's pipe tobacco wafting through the air as he sits back and watches the fire...and something to do with hope chests. very comforting, beautiful...not for me, but definitely for the manchild. i love to smell how his skin interprets scents that aren't really "me." they usually end up right. :P

In the imp, this is all smoke and fir. It's all fir on my skin, and when it dries, there's fir with just a hint of smoke. It's fine, but not what I had in mind.

First Impression: Lemony, floral musk.

Dries down to: It becomes soft smoky leather.

Additional Comments: This is definitely a masculine scent. I like the soft leather in this. I thought the fir needle would be harsh but it's not. This isn't a scent with swagger; rather, it's got quiet strength. It's comforting but not something I'd ever wear.

Lasted: All day.

Rating: 2 out of 5

In bottle: musk, amber, and leather with a hint of wood and smoke. Vaguely boozey. Wet: My skin eats it at first. It needs a little time to warm up. The woods and Amber come out first, light and pleasing, then the other elements slowly rise. I’m not a big fan if pine and musk is hit or miss with my skin chemistry, but this is pretty amazing. As the leather rises, it deepens the effect, creating something really nice on my skin. Dry: Leather on top of the other elements. The pine fades back on dry down, becoming a good companion to the other elements. This was a big gamble for me because it has two elements that are hit and miss with me, but it really did come through.

This is truely one of my favourite blends ever. It's woody pine warmed by amber (but not overbearing amber, this amber is great), saddled down with a touch of leather, and made smokey and sexy from the cedar. There's an almost balsam like feel to it, but not sweet at all. It's manly and sexy to my nose (my BF thinks it smells great on me, but he won't wear it because he says it smells like a girls perfume. Personally I think he just figures this because it smells so good on me).

It has a comforting association to it for me, like being warm and cosy on a stormy night.

Expectations: Oh, this is so not for me. *tests anyway*

In vial: First sniff is a forest of gorgeous cedar and pine. Then the musk and amber comes through. No obvious leather at this point. I actually really like this in the vial, but am wary of how it will react to my skin.

On skin, wet: Uh...sweet and citrus? Where the heck did that come from? It's like musky orange blossoms.

On skin, dry: The unexpected citrus faded a bit, but so did everything else. I can barely tell I applied this, even with my nose pressed against my arm. What I can smell is the slight powderiness I always get from amber.

After time: Only about 15 minutes later, but I'm going to have to try this one again with a more liberal application. It's got the loveliest pine scent I've found so far, which is unexpected because BPAL pine notes usually are disgusting on me.

Conclusion: I'm not sure I'll like it enough to buy more, but I definitely want to keep this around for another test or possible use as a room scent.

In the imp: It's an incredibly sexy and warm fir scent.

Wet on skin: This is rich and deep and dark. There's definitely a fir/woods type scent, but the musk is sweetening the blend a little. The first time I wore it, I got a plasticky note that I feared was the leather. I really don't like the smell of leather. But it died down in a few minutes and I've never gotten plastic from Doc again.

Drydown: Wow. This is gorgeous. It's sweet and rich and thick with amber and musk, warm and slightly spiced. This is swoon-worthy.

So, masculine, but not in a rugged butch way--this is exactly what it should be: A beautiful angelic blond man with a quirky smile. :P However, it could just as easily be a stern, commanding woman in a very expensive suit with an excellent quality leather coat, shoes and handbag. Her hair is up in a bun that looks professional and elegant, not severe, and as she cocks one eyebrow at you, you suspect she might be a dominatrix in her off hours--but you would never dare to ask!

I totally agree with heartbeast. The Doc is commanding, not necessarily masculine. Sexy and not at all frilly. Seriously sexy, but not screaming for attention. Quietly commanding. Hot.

It reminds me a little of a pared down Hexennacht 08, with the common fir, smoke, amber and musk notes. This is good stuff. I think I'm going to get a bottle.

Wow, warm snuggly leathery rugged goodness. My favourite scent category! :D

This reminds me very much of the leather in De Sade. It is lighter to my nose than Dee, and when I initially applied it, I expected it to be a bottle purchase. However, it dries down to pure pencil-shavings on me :P

I'm actually relieved as I have so many leather scents, and really couldn't justify spending any more!

In The Bottle

Piney but not in your face pine. Soft and cool

On Application

This really is surprisingly nice. Pine scents don't rock my world but so far this does.

Dry Down

This stays fresh and cool for ages. Slightly sweet, slightly smokey and has quite a bit of throw. The next morning I could still smell this but it had softened down to a leathery, woody goodness.

Rating (0-5)

A bit lemony? I'm guessing it's the fir. When he fades, the Doc turns so soft and gentle. Is that amber that smells so soft and lovely here? I'm terrible at identifying scents, but whatever this is, I am addicted. I can't stop smelling my wrist, and I keep wanting to apply more more more more as if it's candy that I can't stop eating. I added a bottle of this onto my last order as an afterthought and now it's rocketed up on my list of favorites. It's a scent that I could wear in any season, any mood, in any situation.

Oh good Doctor, I think I am in love. :P

Added later--

I think I know why I love this so much-- it has an herbal-y quality much like my beloved Odin. I'm loving Doc Constantine so much!

Edited by mazikeen

Oh man, this blend makes me wish that my husband could wear leather scents. This is a smoky, herbal leather with a hint of pine. It's medicinal and manly and dead sexy. It's got this almost biting spicy top note, and the underneath is sleek leather.

I would make Doc Constantine my doctor. I totally would go see Doc Constantine ALL the time - headaches, slight colds, lacking my daily eyecandy fix, you name it. Just to stand there and be able to catch whiffs of his manliness.

ETA: I have a little sniffie of the proto. Huzzah. It's been a while, but again the smoke and leather obviously made it to the released version. No pine in this one though. It's a smoother, more rounded blend - I would say this blend is a little sleeker and more urbane, which is probably why changes were made to the released version...

Edited by zankoku_zen

Oh my! Leather and musk. Lots and lots of leather and musk along with a drydown that includes cedar smoke. It's so sexy it should be illegal! I don't get any of the pine, but this is so fantastic! Very understated with the throw. A little Miskatonic University ended up splashed on top of one of my wrists along with the Doc and it conjured some smokin' hot "lost in the library stacks" mental images :D

Keeper :P

In the bottle-- pine, herbs, and a touch of musk. Quiet, unassuming... smiling sweetly, but his gloves are bloodstained.

On me-- pine, sassafrass and... strawberry pez? WTF? I'm not complaining, but that was really unexpected. The doctor is making you laugh, and completely ignoring those gloves.

Much later, the scent has dried down into something soft, close to the skin, and kinda guy-ish cologne. Overall, it's kinda quirky, but I lyyyke it. O^

Edit: Not just strawberry pez, but lemon pez shows up, too. Again, a rather quirky scent. It reminds me less of the image of Doc Constantine, and more of Cho Hakkai from Gensomaden Saiyuuki. O^;

Edited by Methos

Have not reviewed this yet even though The Doc has gotten me through several Fridays which are my most challenging days at work. I have discovered through Whitechapel that what I am looking for to get thru everyday life are the BPAL scents that are evocative of "bad men." And the Doc is one of them. He is very charming but behind everything, not in any way tameable. He really values solitude. He is extremely intellingent in kind of a Jack London way. The fragrance itself in it's wet stages has a citrusy element that is not any fruit I can name and may be the pine. It is really fresh smelling and though civilized what with the sheer musk/cologne aspect, there remains something "truly" wild about it. It smells slightly of army surplus camping gear and actually reminds me of whenever Al Swearengen from Deadwood talks about the town in the past as "the camp." There is a slight bitterness like someone brewing pine needle tea over a cedarwood fire. Now I love Deadwood more than life itself. This in no way smells like The Doc in Deadwood. But it reminds me of that Doc's house with its unfinished bark walls. I knew I would love this but had no idea how. I feel like this man spends time in The Carnival but takes off part of the year to go study with medicine men and trek around the vastness of the U.S. gathering materials and information before coming back to meet up with The Carnival and work that job...

I am starting to be afraid of what I will do with myself when he leaves :P

Edited by novak69

I've wanted to buy Doc since he first came out. *swoon* BPAL's leather and I--we have a long and rich history.

Wet in bottle: this is mostly fir, mostly forest.

Wet on skin: FIR. which continues to amp :P ... for only about 15 minutes. whew.

about 20 m later: the leather comes out and does that predictable leathery love on my skin. =) the fir lurks in the background, and the amber keeps things somewhat femme (at least on me). This is a scent for me to wear when I'm feeling like an especial badass.

out of 10: 8.5