Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
zillah37

Mme. Moriarty, Misfortune Teller (2006)

Red musk, vanilla bean, pomegranate, patchouli leaf and wild plum.

This is one of the few CD scents that hasn't betrayed me by doing evil things upon my skin.

I love Snake Oil (especially aged) so I was expecting good things from the card reader o'doom. Today being a kind of warm-but-grey day when I was stuck at inservice, I decided that it was a perfect day to take her out for a spin. I figured that I might be bored to tears, and surrounded by coworkers who were also bored, but at least I should smell nice.

I was not disappointed. All day, I kept thinking 'what is that wonderful ... oh, it's still me ... yay!' This is all heady musk and vanilla and spicey loveliness. Definitely a keeper and when I see how she ages (and how much I'm using her), I might well need to get another bottle before the Carnaval leaves town (even if I'm hoping even more now that it stays around forever ...)

On a scale of 1 to 10 ... this gets an 'ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, yeah, come to mama, baby.' *giggles*

Bottle: vanilla! With boozy, musky undertones :D

Wet: Now I understand the comparisons made to Snake Oil. It's that same gritty patchouli vanilla combo, that is so lusty and goood!

Dry: The plum and possibly also the pomegranate show themselves as whispers on the heady wafts of vanilla/patchouli/musk. The overall effect of this is just... guh :D

Love this one! So happy to have a bottle :P

edit: though I love the smell, I rarely find myself picking it to wear... I guess it just doesn't suit me very much. I wonder how it will smell in a year though.

Edited by Browneyes

Wow. WOW.

With lightning speed, this one shot to the top of my favorites list.

This is one of those blends I'm terrified to describe. I just know that I love it and any words I use will not do it justice. The visual I get is one that will not conjure up anything remotely appealing (something similar to how habuchan labeled it), so I won't share that. And I can't pick out a single note because on my skin they all just meld together as one perfect scent.

It's warm, yet bright. It's sexy, yet comforting. It's mysterious and mystifying.

I love it. LOOOVE it. This will not be my only bottle of this.

This is my desert island perfume. If I had all my other favorites taken away from me and had to wear only one 24/7, this would be it.

I don't feel the comparisons to Snake Oil, since SO is just powdery awfulness on me, but am one of the Snake Charmer comparers-- my nose is not terribly sophisticated, and these two smell quite similar to me. As I have no hope of ever landing a bottle of Snake Charmer, I'm happy to have something I love as much and can have more than an imp of! (And then I wonder, how many bottles is too many? I fear I may have to stock up on ridiculous quantities of this.)

I love so many of the CD scents, but I don't know if anything will compare to this wonderful blend. It's earthy and piquant and warm and rich, and it's just so wonderful. Every time I wear it, people tell me I smell great.

:P

I've been having trouble finding one of the musky spices scents that I could fall in love with. Snake Oil went alittle too powdery and Smut well, I love her but I can't wear that all the time. lol.

Mme. Moriarty is my single favourite scent right now.

It's warm and sweet, but doesn't ever get over powering. I think the plum helps to really mellow it out. This is definitely going to be my first purchase where I'm buying my second bottle before the first runs out.

Jenn

In vial: Patchouli and red musk. This is incredibly dark and sultry.

Wet: The musks remind me of smut, which isn't a good thing. I'm also getting a root beer note.

Drydown: Ugh. Definitely the same icky burnt plastic and root beer musks as smut. Ew!

Hmm.

Imp: Sweetened patchouli. I fear.

Wet: Red musk smells almost like ginger on me; kinda spicy and tangy. The vanilla is sweetening everything, but just barely, which is good because vanilla usually goes rancid on me. Something is burning my skin, though.

Dry: There's no pomegranate in my batch. More vanilla is coming through and it's a spicy vanilla, but it's just not for me. Still burning my skin. Swapping away.

mmmmm i LOVE this.

its deep, rich, picy sensual...

I cant WAIT to wear this to the Gypsy encampment...im doing Tarot readings there.....mmmmmm.

I sooooo very looked forward to Madame M, and just knew I would love it because I love plum, I love pomegranate, and of course I love vanilla. But the red musk had other plans.....

In the bottle: Whoa. Herbal cough syrup supreme. :D

Wet on my skin: Ick. Even stronger herbal medicine. :) I'm suspecting the red musk and patchouli leaf. I love patchouli but patchouli leaf is a different story.

Dry: Softened herbal cough drop with a tiny bit of the plum trying to peek out. :D I'm extremely disappointed because everyone kept insisting I try it and most everyone else loved this so much. I really wanted to love it, and I definitely tried. But it simply makes me want to gag. :P The boy on the other hand, loved it. Which is just typical because he is sooo picky.

Edited by lushlovely

In the Bottle: I get musk, smoke, and some sweetness.

Wet: There's musk, vanilla, and a deeper smell that I can't identify. It doesn't smell good, however. There's something in it that my skin chemistry doesn't like, and it just smells bad -- like Snake Oil gone rancid.

Dry: I started writing and forgot to wash this off, and I'm so glad I did. Now it smells absolutely gorgeous. I smell the plum and tobacco, which makes no sense since it's not a scent listed, but that's what it turns into -- slightly sweet plum and smoky tobacco. Beautiful.

I'm not sure I can go through the wet phase to get to this, but it's lovely when it dries.

I had to finally try Mme. Moriarty to see what all the fuss was about. After all, red musk is one of the best notes on me, if nothing else... And wow, am I glad I did.

But I need to note that there is absolutely *nothing* in this that reminds me of Snake Oil, in the slightest. But wow, this blows me away! And it lasts *forever.* It's nothing for this to last for 14 hours on me! And I got a drop on my nightgown, and I was smelling it FIVE DAYS later. I am NOT complaining! :D

Wet, it's all plums and vanilla. Big juicy red plums, with a hint of spice, like decadent jam.

And then it dries down, and becomes orgasmic. :D The fruit becomes intense, like being in a canning kitchen in high summer, but weaving through it all is this scrumptuous note of incense smoke. (Is that where the patchouli lives?) It's almost too intense to process. I don't know whether to eat it, inhale deeply, or just faint with pleasure. And just when I thought it couldn't get any better, the red musk comes out and joins the party. There is a perfect harmony between the musk and fruit that I can't even begin to describe. I think Mme. Moriarty's staying power comes with the red musk, as most blends with Beth's red musk last on me for almost impossibly long periods of time, and fix the other notes to my skin. But I can't believe how well all these notes blend. My version of the Summerland would have to smell like Mme. Moriarty! :P

Wet: Woody. Specifically, cedarwood. Why? That's not in the listed notes.

Drydown: Who cares? This smells fabulous.

I get the musk interplaying with the patchouli leaf very strongly, as I'd expected -- and, as an allergic-asthmatic, I am grateful for blends that allow me to experience a "smoky" note without actually containing tobacco! But the vanilla, yum. This is a rich, dark, deep, complex, commanding blend. This is something I would wear in very grownup situations -- grandeur, gravitas. Its sexiness is implied, rather than directly stated; the herbal notes give it a mysterious quality.

Excellent throw and staying power. I need at least another decant, possibly a bottle.

Oh dear GOD this is spectacular! :D

I knew the notes would work on me, but...Ohhhhhh god this perfection.

From wet to dry, this is magic. It's a swirling haze of dark fruity musk and patchouli, and is SO incredibly sexy. It's rich, it's mysterious, and it. Just. Smoulders. :P

Oh yep. Adore. Have big bottle, will be getting backups.

Wet: Musk and patchouli.

First on: Snake Oil. So much so that I'm confused that it isn't, in fact, Snake Oil.

Dry: Snake Oil baby powder. So totally disappointed. :P

Simply unbelievably beautiful on me. I never want to run out of this one. I swear there's sandalwood in this blend, and musk, and patchouli...I don't get any plum, but it's everything I lvoe about snake oil without the weird off-note I've never liked.

So delicious. If I had to give up every other scent I own, I'd keep this one.

I... wow.

Patchouli & red musk have never been my thing, and red musk can go REALLY weird on my skin, but something about this was going "order me! orderrrr meeeee!" so I picked up a bottle with the last update. And... wow. In the bottle, this is kind of sharp but really, REALLY lovely; I even set Gibbous Moon aside to try this first (and Gibbous Moon got Blue Moon comparisons, so, uh, that says something.)

On me, it dried down through a weird, too-spicy, too-sharp phase, and suddenly... oh, man. It's mellowed into this BEAUTIFUL Snake-Oil-plus-bright-fruit (the plum and pomegranate are AMAZING here!) Everything just plays really nice, and I am absolutely stunned. A lot of the more popular blends are not my thing - Bordello, Shub, and Misk U all went strange on me - but THIS. This deserves all the love it gets.

Still going strong after 9 hours, but it has taken on a sharp, almost metallic edge. I had an odd thing happen with Mme. Moriarty that I have not had with any other BPAL - it interfered with my ability to taste cranberry juice! I'm guessing that was because of the similarity in odor between pomegranate and cranberry, but it was certainly odd. The vanilla at the start made it a little too foodie for my taste, but it did mellow. The musk and patchouli was great.

I don't know if I'll keep the Madame or not; I'll probably have to wear her a few more times before I can decide.

At first, Madame Moriarty intimidated me with a cloyingly sweet demeanor. It was mixed with something sinister underneath. As the reading proceeded, however, I found that she really understood me and my chemistry. I found myself relaxing more in her presence and ready to hear what she had to say. For a while, we got along quite well. Unfortunately, as the reading came to an end, that showbusiness personality again came to the fore, and I left feeling unsure of whether Madame Moriarty was a friend or foe.

Mme is a wonderful example of what aging can do (and gives me hope for my bottle of snake oil that´s tucked away in a dark corner...). I met her in imp form, and was sufficiently intrigued that I decided to order a bottle. But when the bottle arrived, it seemed that my skin chemistry made the plums sing soprano in a duet with baby powder. Ugh. no!

So, I tucked her away for awhile, having faith that the original perfume I liked would come out to play... eventually. And she did! I tried her again (I think my bottle is now over 6months old) and the plum dances with darker winding notes, all under a blanket of delicious vanilla. I don´t smell the pomegranite or the patchouil specifically, but can tell that they´re there. This is a deep purple with a mauve tinted scent on me. It´s very sensual and womanly and I love it! SO glad I hung in there (I think I learned my lesson after giving up on Snake Charmer one day in). I think I´ll order a second before the carnival leaves town.

When I first got the bottle, the fruit was brash and overpowering; I felt stifled by an almost air-freshener flat sweetness. (From a swap--year old bottle.) I let Mme. Moriarty take a rest, and after a few days, the scent was pretty amazing. Still very fruity, but with an undercurrent of the patchouli leaf, almost tea-like. Very much reminds me of berry fruit tea in its wet stage, in fact. Dry, the vanilla comes to the forefront, and turns the scent from bright and wet to a cream--this is when the red musk peeks out. No incense associations at all.

The imp I have is a little darker--the patchouli leaf and red musk is more prominent, and it's a sexier blend. Who knows, maybe my bottle will get there. This is the first time that I am seriously planning to get a second bottle in my 2.5 years of BPAL history.

It's great that my skin chemistry changed (and stays changed--PLEASE), because when I first got Mme. Moriarty as an imp, I amped the patchouli leaf like whoa. Dry, dry, dry; only the slightest hint of sweetness, no fruit, no musk. Now I see what the hype is about.

ETA: as I found out, the throw is insane.

ETA2: So my first bottle of Mme. Moriarty seems to have been a sport. I think people at the Lab forgot to put in red musk? The two bottles smell completely different; the first is very fruity and tea-like and the second is heavy with a redolent musk. Since I think the first was a mistake, I think I'll be using that sparingly. I do love both.

Edited by cinderfallen

This is complex, heady, red, sultry, mysterious. It has a strong vein of Snake Charmer in there, but with a twist of red musk and a sharpness to the patchouli leaf. The vanilla brings this closer to a Snake Oil variant, but again the red musk and patchouli leaf keep this original and unique. This is a definite keeper!

I love gypsies, fortune tellers..anything that hints of secrets. When Carnaval Noir came out the first and almost only blend I had to get was Gypsy Queen. When I saw this come out for Carnaval Diabolique I knew this would be the first one I had to have out of Act II.

It’s taken me over a year to finally try this out; I seem to do well with Beth’s blends with plum, red musk and patchouli..so I am hoping I don’t strike out with this fortune teller.

Initial sniff from bottle: Holy cow..this is good. I immediately get the red musk and the patchouli leaf..the plum is flitting around on the edge…am not sure if I register the pomegranate or vanilla..but it’s early.

Applied wet on skin: Yep..this is a home-run on me.Plum and patchouli with red musk…this is divine. Vanilla keeps the tail end a bit sweet..but it’s a darkened sweet..heavy with duality and things not being what they seem.

Beth is a genius.

This sort of reminds me a bit of maybe Queen of Spades meets Snake Charmer??? I never had the opportunity to try Hellion..but if this smells anything like that..I will be on a serious mission to try and get my hands on even a half imp of it..this is just perfection.

Couple of minutes on skin:Man this red musk is assertive..but I like it!!! It’s the musk and vanilla doing the tango with the patchouli leaf and plum/pomegranate waiting for their turn at the bar. Don’t know if they will have the chance..it seems like the musk and vanilla are dominating. Smells sexy…and heady. Just the type of fragrance I like..hehehehehehehehehe.

This is going to be awesome in the fall and winter.

Ten minutes later:Still the musk and vanilla..with the patchouli leaf under it all..and the plum and pomegranate??? I can barely get a wisp of it but no matter..it’s still fabulous, still sexy and like other reviewers said smolders with intent. Intent to do what I have no idea but that’s the point; it hints at many hidden secrets..secrets she holds..about her..about you..

Dark Sparkle said that this blend kind of reminds her a bit of Blood Kiss without the vetiver and honey; I have to agree..but for me it’s a threesome: Snake Charmer, Queen of Spades and Blood Kiss..heheheheheheheeehehe. :D

Twenty minutes later:9:52pm-Musk has softened but still leads the pack..however now the vanilla and wisp of plum are supporting with Beth’s genius use of patchouli under everything.

It’s just…wow. :D

I am like some other reviewers..whenever Beth uses the red musk it’s the note that seems to adhere to me like nobody’s business..that and patchouli. I never liked patchouli until I tried Beth’s blends. Nobody does it better..and she has shown her prowess again with this blend.

I cannot believe I am actually going to consider having two back up bottles. It seems ridiculous really..considering I have more fragrance than I know what to do with..BPAL and otherwise.

Mme Moriarty is THAT good.

Of course she is..look who created her…

Anyway..back to reviewing:

Thirty minutes later:It’s musk and vanilla and patchouli.

I can see where some might be tempted to say there is something akin to a tobacco-type note..but for me..I don’t really get that. The patchouli and red musk..which sometimes on me kind of mimics the red ginger relay that smoldering vibe that is so darn addictive.

Drydown:Sweetened musk with vanilla.

Lasting power is formidable…I kid you not 11+hours. I wore this to bed and when I woke up the next morning I could still smell it on my wrist. Throw is average to strong.

Bottom Line: Another stunner. I am getting a second bottle. I think it’s worthy to be part of the LE lineup that constitutes my personal top ten favorites. What a shocker right??? Seriously..it’s just an amazing fragrance that I will enjoy wearing in the fall and winter. :P

Mme. Moriarty, sultry and seductive as the unknown itself, like a heady incense of smoldering passion lost amid dreams deferred. She is both Magician and High Priestess, the sun and the star and the aching longing of the moon. She is your judgment, your very world. And you? You are her fool.

For me, there are four elements at work here vying for control: pomegranate and plum together, like the tender compassion of the house of cups; a heady vanilla, warm, but intellectual, representing the house of swords; fiery red musk to be our house of wands; and deep, sultry patchouli to be our earthy coins. At any given time, one or two notes are dominant, leaving me with the impression that my fate is uncertain and changing at every moment, like flipping through a deck of tarot cards.

It's a beautiful combination, whichever notes are prevalent. Red musk doesn't typically work well on me, but here it blends beautifully with the other notes.

This one is a little wrong for me, but it's gorgeous nonetheless.

Mme. Moriarty Haiku,

Looking at the cards,

She smirked and read my ill fate,

"Twenty-one. House wins."

I was really looking forward to this since I love Snake Charmer so much, but I was wary because I'm not always terribly fond of patchouli and unaged Snake Oil turns to Play-Doh on me. So when I received this, I tried it right away and felt very sad that it smelled like musky Play-Doh.

But I'll give it a chance to age, I thought.

Then I got a little impatient and put some on this morning. Oh, am I glad I did. Wet it's very musky on me, but then it very quickly fades and the vanilla, plum, and pomegranate come out to play. Mostly it's those sweeter notes and the musk and patchouli ground them all nicely and prevent them from becoming too sweet. They all blend well, but they each seem to cycle to the top one at a time as well. Occasionally I get a whiff of powder, which usually means the scent will be gone soon, but then it goes away and the scent is back. Weird. I can't tell if that's my nose or if it's actually changing.

It's that time of the month, so I'm not sure if my results are going to be typical. Usually that means my skin eats scent and it's gone in less than an hour, but so far this is lasting. Maybe I'm past that critical scent eating phase. And I keep smelling myself. Mmmm. Right now, this is my new favorite.

Edit: This is now pretty much my absolute favorite, or perhaps it's a tie with Snake Charmer. With just a tiny bit of aging it got completely beautiful. I see the comparisons to both Snake Charmer and Snake Oil, although I don't smell similarities to snake oil until it's many hours faded. I love this and I plan to hoard since, despite the fact that I'm not a slatherer, I have used more than I expected in a very short time.

Edited by amyw

I can't believe I haven't reviewed this yet! It's like Gypsy Queen's older, moodier, wiser and more mysterious sister.

I'm no good at notes but plenty of people before me have listed lots of them. Madame Moriarty is one of my go-to oils... if I feel like I'm facing a day I just can't face... Mme Mo.

If I have a hot date... Mme Mo.

If I'm blue... Mme Mo.

If I wake up feeling kittenish and cheerful... Mme Mo.

If I ever conquor the world... I'll be wearing Mme Mo when I do it.

It's one of the few that that I smell in my head even when I'm not wearing it. Of course it's in my top 10 and I'll be hoarding bottles until I die. After that you can give my remaining stash to the deserving poor... after you scent me one more good time! (Can't let angels smell better than me, after all... what a way to start an after-life.)