Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
zillah37

Mme. Moriarty, Misfortune Teller (2006)

Red musk, vanilla bean, pomegranate, patchouli leaf and wild plum.

I finally get to try the famed Mme. Moriarty, and I'm underwhelmed. Which is probably a good thing, since it's beloved by so many others. From the notes I was expected sweet but dark fruits warmed by vanilla. In actuality, as others have said, it reminds me of gross menthol cigarettes.

It's definitely dark and smoky, but also sickeningly sweet. There was a little bit of complexity at first and I could pick out some nice patchouli and plum, but after a few short minutes it goes musty and outputting. I'm not a huge fan of red musk in the first place, but usually I can tolerate it. Here it just makes an already bad combo heavier and more cloying.

Not sexy at all to me. At least I won't be having to hunt more down.

Wet: This is very much related to some of my favorite really feminine scents. This is a lday who spends a lot of time in leather and I love it. Honestly, the fact that there is neither a tobacco or a leather note in this stuns me, because I'm getting musk, tobacco and leather with a hint of something sweet.

Drying: Okay that tobacco note has resolved itself into patchouli leaf now and the sweetness as clarified into a really sultry vanilla that is doing none of the usual candy or plastic thing vanilla sometimes does on my skin.

Dry: This has to be the plum doing this strange thing on my skin. It wants to be fruity, but reminds me a lot of my grandfather's reconstituted prunes... It's still strongly vanilla and patchouli though, which takes the worst of the edge off the plum strangeness. It's really dusty and seductive and almost wine like in it's general feel dry. It quickly leaves the funky prune stage, though I like the wetter stages better.

In the bottle and just applied, it's like a smoky, dusty Snake Oil. As it dries, it's also getting a little sharply green/floral.

I do like this one, but it's definitely not a daytime/everyday scent. There's something a bit menacing but ultimately sexy about it.

Dusty, like dry tobacco. Maybe patchouli leaf is a dry leaf, like tobacco? I like the bit of sweetness in this from the plum/vanilla, but that's about all I like. The dusty dry note in this is very similar to Black Silk, another blend that didn't wow me. It's... fine, but really nothing special. Very light and faint.

It blooms a bit on the skin and becomes sweeter. I'm definitely getting more of the red fruits and vanilla, and maybe even a hint of red musk. Still suffers from that unfortunate dustiness though, and the vanilla has a trace of plastic doll-head, which is too bad. This has some promising qualities but I can safely say it's not for me.

Edited by Teaker

I received an imp of this from an awesome swap and I am not disappointed. I love all types of red musk, it smells absolutely wonderful on my skin and this blend is no exception. In this blend the balance of the plum and pom with the red musk is perfect. It smells like sexy fruit to me. Perfect for any red musk fans.

Aaand I see why everyone seems to like this- a deep red musk swirling like a mysterious cloud, that lovely purple plum like a swirl of incense, a touch of leafy/foresty pachouli and the other notes to sweeten it up. Very, very sexy.

Has a huuuuge throw on me and an amazing staying power!

If I sniff it up close on my wrist, it's a bit too sharp, and just a little too much pachouli. However, if I'm just about doing my thing I keep smelling this wonderful concoction and it's not too sharp at all. It's quite amazing on me.
I read the newer version is softer/sweeter and I'm pretty sure I might like that one EVEN more. BIG yes!! So happy I got to try this :wub3:

Edited by Cali

A decade later, single owner, sleeping bottle of the original Madame... She's waking up a Sofia Loren. Everything which enraptures and draws BPAL new following, I find in here.., vanilla smooth, musk sultry, the patchouli has fused w the fruits to mesmerize reminiscent of a wet unpacked tobacco... As if French tobacco SN is in here as it dries down.

I really love this now, much more than the current, or than I did then.

Edited by SmilesSunshine

This was my first Carnaval Diabolique, and I must say it did not disappoint. The smell reminded me of a metaphysical shop & Cafe near me that was a great place. It was warm and inviting with a deep undercurrent of mischief.

I have a huge love for musks and sandalwood but the pomegranate undercurrent just brought it home for me in a really fun way.

Exotic, plum-sweetened, smoky leaf. It has a mentholated vibe like something used in fresh tobacco. Gorgeous scent: the notes swirl around each other in a holy dance.

If it were a color, it would be deep red, purple, and black.

As it fades, a soft vanilla comes forward, along with the red musk. Red musk is iffy on my skin (Scherezade! so bad on me). But here it blends perfectly, sweetened with vanilla and purple fruit. The patchouli-tobacco leaf turns quiet and mystical. Something about this leaf is both dirty and clean ... and compelling; I can't stop sniffing.

Mme. Moriarty is, to me, a masterpiece.

Edited by sasqa9

Gorgeous, plum sweetened tobacco, booze and musk. The patch isn't dirty, but my Mom, as always, asks "Is that a man's cologne you're wearing?" Because of it, and the tobacco, I think... Idgaf, I smell good in men's cologne too. :P

I loooove it. I really want to try some of the newer version, but the old is aged to perfection. I feel amazing and mysterious when I wear it. It's much less sweet since it's aged and I feel ready to take out a tarot deck, and read someone's palm!

In the bottle: Round, red fruits, red musk, and patchouli. 

On my skin:

Wet, it's the same. The fruits are top note, red musk the main, with patchouli underneath.

It does start to tingle on my arm. No listed note is an obvious culprit, but this isn't so unusual for me. It's slightly annoying, but not a dealbreaker. 

More time, and it's even more just what I said. It's round, deep, fruity red musk with an underscore of patchouli. I can't detect vanilla as a stand-alone note, but this is often the case when I'm detecting a sweet element to a blend. 

It's one of my favorite self-confidence blends: a lot tough, but a little sweet. 

Oh man, I didn't realize I was -this- late on reviewing this.  (I think I bought this around 2008?)

Wet: Plum, red musk, and patchouli leaf. Definitely has a Snake Oil-like quality to it.

Dry: I can smell the same notes as the wet stage; the biggest difference is the scent is now a little bit sweeter(from the vanilla bean?), but also deeper and a little muskier.

Red musk tends to work amazingly well on my skin, so if that's one of your death notes... you may not like this.

Beautiful scent.