Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
zillah37

The Candy Butcher 2006

Dark chocolate with a heavy cream undertone.

I absolutely love this! No chocolate seems to work on me but this is the chosen one! It starts off really smelling of cocoa and then morphs into a sugary, creamy chocolate that is warm and inviting. It keeps making me sniff in glee and then shove my wrist under the boy's nose demanding he smell as well. He asks if I'm going to make him smell it every two minutes. I definitely need another bottle or three!

I really thought I was going to love this. Really. Upon application it was like like a visitation of my fav Bpal EVER....Antique Lace. A chocolate Antique Lace. ::drool:: It stayed that way for a little...then the drydown happened.

It turned into chocolate nail polish remover. I think my skin is pissed at me or something...decided to tease me with something sooo beautiful and then give me something ugly.

I'm bummed. It started out soo beautifully. It may work on others...I think the nail polish may be my chemistry....I may try it again in a few days.

In the bottle:

Dark, dusty chocolate

On me:

I had to get this one because it sounded delicious, but my history with Beth's chocolate scents haven't been all that stellar. Bliss was "okay" to me - it was nice, and would do for a chocolate scent, but wasn't great on me. Vice was "okay" to me too - smelled a little artifical on my skin. So, I wasn't really sure what to think about this one and how it would turn out.

When I first put it on, it smells quite a lot like Bliss. Kind of a dry chocolate and not very heavy. The only difference on my skin between this and Bliss is that it does seem creamier. It is a very light scent though, and doesn't have a lot of throw in my opinion.

Final note:

It's nice and I will keep it for my chocolate scent needs, but it does smell awfully similar to Bliss on my skin, which is kind of unfortunate. If Bliss was chunks of milk chocolate, The Candy Butcher is chocolate milk.

Oh. God.

Chocolate Snow White.

Seriously.

Evolution: chocolate, then creamy soft edible floral a la Snow White with a thin layer of cocoa, eventually drying down to straight cocoa butter.

I wasn't sure I'd like it, but I LOVE it.

Edited by eleventhousand

In the bottle, mmm yummy chocolate but on the milky side. It reminds me of those singing fudge shops in the mall! Once on it still smells yummy but something is going a bit off...still a sweet fudge smell but now with a hint of something that smells a bit like toilet bowl cleanser :P Urg. I'm not sure what that could be but now I can't get the notion out of my head. I'm going to have to give this a try another time before I can make a final verdict. If I can't wear it then I think I will probably use it as a room scent.

FABULOUS deep, dark chocolate cake batter that has a rich, incensey feel to it. Maybe a slight hint of liquer. This scent reminds me of eating chocolate truffles at a Turkish coffee house. It dries into a glorious, smooth sweet-cream vanilla scent that lingers and lingers on me.

Glorious.

For some reason, chocolate and cocoa scents never stay true on me, and this is no exception. I'm so disappointed. :P

Son of a bitch! :P

The second this hit my skin it was instantly another Monster Bait/Beaver Moon sneezefest fiasco. ARGH!!!! What in gods name do these all have in common? Cuz whatever it is HATES ME. Am so frustrated. I was looking forward to this one too.

*Aacho*

Rats. I don't think this smells like it's supposed to on my skin. I was expecting something like creamy chocolate, and what I got was a rather bitter cocoa scent... it smells like cocoa and metal. I'm not kidding, there's something metallic about it. Like that taste you get in your mouth when you drink from a glass bottle that just had a metal cap on it. It does get creamier as time goes on, but unfortunately it's an artificially-sweet-smelling creamy scent. I totally get what eleventhousand was talking about with the Chocolate Snow White, though -- it does smell like Snow White to me when it's dry (with very little chocolate).

I'm beginning to believe that my skin actively rebels against BPAL chocolate blends and anything that's supposed to be creamy. It does this to me every time. I put on something I think will be great, and my skins says, "NO! Not this one! We want those civet ones, or something with vetiver!" Those are the notes that smell wonderful on me, believe it or not.

Sigh. Another disappointing chapter in the creaminess quest. I'm kinda jealous of people who can wear blends like this one.

I've not had luck with the chocolate scents. Scents *with* cocoa are fine, Tezcatlipoca and Centzon Totochtin both come to mind as :P scents, but Bliss and Vice are both *meh*.

The Candy Butcher is no exception. For a little while it is a sort of dark chocolate/smoky floral that reminds me ever so slightly of Dia De Los Muertos before it aged to all hell and turned to just dry leaves.

I'll probably test this again, just to be fair, but for now, everyone else can have this one. My skin chemistry and it aren't doing too much.

I LOVE the art though :D

n.

Mmmmm, a beautiful cocoa wrapping itself around a gooey middle repleat with creamy buttery toothsome stuff. This is glorified Velvet. I say that because I detect a drop of sandalwood or some resinous charm lurking in the heart of Candy Butcher. This is a treat for the sophisticated perfume lover. It's a fresh and quirky take on what would otherwise be another foody scent. If you didn't "get it" the first time, think confection not to be eaten with your mouth but with your nose. Then things change and Candy Butcher makes perfect sense. A sharp departure from the expected by someone who knows how to take the idea off-road.

Ok I admit, I cheated. I have one of these on order with the lab, but had to pick one up from the forum.. So impatient!

Damn. When I opened the bottle it was orgasmic, a grown up chocolate with sexy, slightly bitter cocoa and seductive cream... mmmm

When I put it on the bitterness was still there, but after about 1 minute it turned warm, sweet, and delectable. Oh Candy Butcher... :P

So, I'm not at all regretting that I picked up another bottle, truth is I was going to anyways. Hell, I might need a 3rd hehe

Final vote: Fanfuckintastic.

ETA: I know what this is now... A banana split. I swear, even tho there's no banana in the notes, the sweetness almost makes it smell like that.

Edited by Midnight Aeval

The Candy Butcher

I was *so* excited about this one, but at Will Call, it smelled just like Bliss. But, being the BPAL glutton I am, I couldn't resist an imp when it was offered. On my skin, it's Bliss-like chocolate over jasmine--like Bliss meets Mata Hari. Then, it fades into cocoa and... incense? The incensy bit is so subtle, I'm not even sure it's there. Well done as usual, Beth!

The Candy Butcher is rich and creamy - like the best hot cocoa made from real dark chocolate melted in condensed milk. The creamy note is enough to bump this out of the Bliss category for me, which is one of those "nice, but not interesting enough to keep me entertained" sort of blends. But the slithering chocolate snakes are divine. :P

The Candy Butcher

In the imp: oh my. This smells like deep, rich, cocoa laden hot chocolate! Less sweet than other choc scents, this is delicious.

Wet on skin: mmm, something sweeter, softer, and yes, Snow White like, comes up to greet the chocolate!

Dry on skin: whoever said this smells like chocolate Snow White is spot on! This is SW's delicious creamy marshmallow note with dark chocolate. In fact, this smells just like the deepest, richest hot chocolate with sweet fluffy marshmallows melting in it! This is truly magnificent-there's nothing sour or plastic here, just chocolate marshmallows. Mmm…

After a while: still smells like cocoa-dusted Snow White, that cool, creamy, sweet marshmallow contrasting with the bitter, dusty chocolate. I even get a hint of a light musk to it, similar to SW's 'lily musk', and a hint of white, sweet flowers. The milky feel of the scent gets stronger over time but never, ever, ever turns sour. That's how I like my cream.

Verdict: I've been looking for the holy grail of 'pure chocolate' scents, and this is it. Bliss was too bland, Lump of Coal was ok, though Velvet was quite nice. Other brands of 'chocolate single notes' disappointed, but this is truly wonderful. Take the darkest, thickest, most cocoa-rich hot chocolate ever, and then add loads of marshmallows. This is what Candy Butcher is like on me. Chocolate marshmallows-and not just any marshmallows but Snow White marshmallows, with even a hint of white musk-a surprisingly complex scent for one where I expected just creamed chocolate. The treats offered by the Candy Butcher may look like plain chocolate at first but they have the most delicious fillings…I think I will have to give in to getting a bottle. Another CD hit. These scents will make me broke, I tell thee!

I must also add that CB lasts for AGES on my skin. I could still smell it going strong the next morning!

Emoticon rating: :D :P :D

If you like this, try: Bliss, Lump of Coal, Snow White

Edited by yeahbutnobut

I picked up a decant of the Candy Butcher hoping it would break my losing streak with the lab's chocolate note--it tends to smell somewhere between burnt and rancid on me.

Sadly, I can start to get hints of the wonderful chocolate smell everyone else must be getting with this one, but it once again turns to musty burning on me.

I have to totally agree with eleventhousand here, The Candy Butcher is totally Snow White with chocolate. This is a bad thing for me as Snow White turned into a horrible sweet plastic smell. The Candy Butcher does start off with chocolate, but then quickly develops that same Snow White plastic smell.

Stupid skin chemistry :P Bliss is still the only chocolate BPAL that really works on me...

This is a very thick oil; really noticeably different consistency.

Wet: very deep, dark cocoa smell, not sweet at all. It's fainter than I'd anticipated, though.

Drying: This isn't a chocolate scent in the sense of smelling like chocolates or even cocoa; it's clearly cocoa-based, but it doesn't smell particularly foody. It gets creamy and bit sweeter as it dries. It's very pleasant and comforting, one of the nice warm-blanket scents, but surprisingly light and tending to fade.

Dry: The scent isn't at all what I expected, but I really like it, it's so comfy and warming. But the lightness and fast fade (at least on my skin) are disappointing.

Yes, Chocolate Snow White!

I love Snow White! I love chocolate! OMG, this is so delicious on me, I wish I could bathe in it. I've already reapplied about three times, because I want it stronger, stronger, stronger so everyone can sniff with delight.

GORGEOUS.

In the bottle, it seemed quite similar to Bliss, but as soon as I put it on, it turns deep and dark and creamy, absolutely decadent. It's got just the faintest fruity-floral tinge deep down, just like really high-quality dark chocolate.

Absolutely fantastic. :P

as much as i *heart* dark chocolate (dark bittersweet bakers' chocolate, specifically) i was sooo hoping for something along those lines. verging on the bitter.

but no. all i get is the cream.

which wouldn't be so bad except i think it has the same vanilla-goes-to-plastic type note in it as some other blends.

after about eight hours it dries down to Coty's "Dark Vanilla" which is nice, but i'm not sure it is worth the wait.

i'll put it away for awhile and see what happens.

quick edit, just to add:

if you're like me and like to layer scents with soaps and lotions and such, to add to the staying power...

you might want to get a lotion in Heaven & Earth's Signature Scent, which is like a dark-chocolate-vanilla-gasm... and layers quite nicely with the Candy Butcher.

the lotion's scent is simple, so it doesn't interfere with the BPAL but it adds some depth and gives a nice scented base.

[=

Edited by TrailerTrashPrincess

I was a little scared of The Candy Butcher, as I'm not much of a foody person. Velvet, Gluttony, and Jack are all stomach-churning on me. I was hoping for a not-too-sweet cocoa with some creamyness to it.

Bottle- Bittersweet chocolate, not too strong.

Initial wet- Creamy chocolate! The chocolate isn't too sweet- nice and dark, and it's swirled through rich cream. But not really foody, in fact it has a slight perfumey quality like there might be some florals in the background.

Drying but still wet- Whoa, this changes a lot! Very, very creamy but not sickenly so, and the chocolate fades a bit- for a moment this smells just like cocoa butter. Then I smell fruits! I feel like I'm wearing a tropical drink complete with an umbrella on top, sorta like a pina colada but without coconut- pineapples, a touch of banana, rum, and cream. For a while I wonder if the bottle got mislabeled and I sniff it again to verify it's chocolate.

Dry- After the crazy morphing settles down, the chocolate note is pretty much gone. There is a creamy vanilla base with just a teeny bit of cocoa butter and a hint of pineapple. Very light and unobtrusive scent.

Overall, The Candy Butcher is quite a surprise! It is very low on the foody scale (which is good for me) and is a very unique blend. For me I can see this as a summer scent, though I wish the dark chocolate stuck around more.

ETA: I ended up swapping that first bottle away. I got pregnant and had another baby a year ago, and missed Candy Butcher. So I got another bottle. I don't know if the whole 2nd baby thing changed my skin chemistry or what, but I don't get the fruits anymore. In fact, the perfect description of what CB does on me now is this :

This smells so good! At first it is deep cocoa and a touch of cream. Then it morphs into straight cream. Next it goes into a floral cream stage that is so sweet and sugary. In the final stage it is a sweeter "Snow White". It is like the Everlasting Gobstopper of BPALs! Yummm!

So glad I revisited it before the Carnival left! A sophisticated foody scent, or more like a perfume that smells candyish rather than me just smelling like candy.

Edited by birdiefu

My favourite bartender (back when I used to have a favourite bartender -- hi Trevor, where ever you are), made a drink called a Five Dollar Milkshake.

The ingredients involved Bushmill's, Irish Cream, Butterscotch Schnapps, and Creme de Cacao (I think).

Candy Butcher has a very similar aroma, with a wisp of vanilla perfume in the background.

Rating (on skin): 4/5

Summarised in a word or two: Chocolate!

Pre-review thoughts: I am absolutely, positively un-foody, but I'm curious all the same.

In the bottle: OK. Un-foody as I am, this still smells effing great in the bottle. Pure, creamy chocolate.

On skin, wet: Chocolate! Thick, sweet chocolate and nothing else.

On skin, dry: Thick, rich, warm, creamy, tooth-rotting chocolate. I've been Vegan for a few years now, and I haven't missed the taste of chocolate very much at all, but if I had/did, this would probably send me over the edge and right into a gas-station chocolate-buying frenzy. Surprisingly enough, this doesn't turn to chocolatey dust on me, as almost all chocolate/cocoa notes do.

Conclusion/Notes: I shouldn't, but I like this. A lot. I'd probably never wear it (again: un-foody), but then again, who knows, when the mood strikes? Either way, I think I'll be buying a bottle before it leaves town next year, just in case.

Edited by Aredhel