Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
zillah37

Carnaval Diabolique

Straight from the twisted alleys of Dis, by way of the City of Angels: opium smoke, lemon flower, heliotrope, tuberose, black musk, vanilla, coconut, apricot flower.

In the imp: coconut, lemon floral, a non-plastic, non-buttery vanilla (! perhaps that's the influence of the heliotrope?), something faintly hazy

Wet on skin: lemon acid drops, with a slightly powdery (like powdered sugar) floral background. Would the floral background be the lemon flower, tuberose, and the apricot flower?

Dry: I think the hazy thing I'm getting is opium smoke, it's kind of sweet... powdery lemon acid drops, and the coconut has come back for a second go.

I can imagine wearing this in spring on the way to summer, out in the sunshine, maybe at the beach or by the bay where there's food and craft stands trading into the evening.

I get a blast of lemon, but it is a soft and subdued lemon. It is tempered by a complex, weaving blend of florals and opium. I love the way the tuberose pairs with the lemon. Even though I don't tend to favor lemon scents, I do really like this one.

First sniff: Lemon. Big strong lemon with a little bit of sugar.

Wearing: It’s overwhelmingly lemony. Not Lysol, fortunately, but I can’t smell anything but lemon while it’s wet.

But as soon as it dries, it’s a very different story… a little bit smoky, a little bit sandalwoody, still a little bit of sugar, and the lemon retreats to the background. Very complex and intriguing.

Here’s an additional weirdness: I noticed that when my skin is warm, like when I’m in the hot car or standing in the sun, I get lots and lots of coconut. Smoky coconut. I think this may be the morphiest scent I’ve ever worn.

In the imp: verbena over coconut and bubbly heliotrope.

On me, wet: very sweet heavy lemon - this smells like lemon curd, actually.

On me, dry: sharp-and-sweet lemon drops with a splash of refreshing coconut and some florals desperately trying to get attention from behind all that lemon.

Verdict: ended up nicer than it started, but still a little too sugared-lemon-candy-like for me.

Oh, heavenly! At first all I can smell is coconut (but not cloying, suntan lotion coconut), and lemons (but not lemon pledge, real juicy lemons), and some flowers! More exotic flowers, and some opium incensey smells come into play...This is a swirling, otherworldly scent - destined for my top ten, evar!! The vanilla, apricot flower, and black musk are there...swirling around in this complex scent, adding sweetness and depth. I love this one! A dark, sleek, unforgettable evening scent. Places I would wear this: sexy date, art gallery opening, punk rock/goth show, bar crawl, hip restaurant....It just makes me think of neon, exciting nightlife, the city, subculture, and total infatuation...wear this anywhere that is to see and be seen. I smell like the sexy subculture goddess of the world! This one will get tons of nighttime scene wear from moi. This is a big bottle purchase for sure. I never want to run out!! 5/5

This doesn't seem to be morphing much. Creamy lemon, with undernotes of lemon verbena. I know the previous reviewer thought of hip hot and happinin, but all I can think of is PIE. I love citrus and this is definately a keeper.

Ohhhhhhhhh yes! I am a big citrus lover but most of the citrus scents morph all funny on me. I love this though!! The lemon is true lemon on me, no cleanser smells or soapy smells. I LOVE this!! Early morning tea with lots of lemon- DEFINITELY the citrus scent I have been seeking!!!!!

In the bottle: LEMONS! Lemons galore with a hint of smoke!

Wet: Smoky lemons still with a hint of apricot.

Drydown: This scent is incredible. I have never had such a magical drydown. It went from a smoky citrus into a coconut vanilla creamy scent. Just gorgeous!

Verdict: I was on the fence until the morph happened. The morph turned it into one of the most beautiful scents I've ever encountered. It's a lovely, complex, and seductive scent. I am in love with my bottle and may need to hoard in the future!

Edited by tempurashrimp

mmmmmmmmmmm! I knew I would love this.

Smoky and musky, but creamy and sweet. :P Mostly citrus and musk on me.

In the imp, this smells like Snake Oil with a soft, non-astringent lemon swirl.

On my skin, it morphs instantly! The lemon disappears, and it becomes tuberose creamed up with vanilla and coconut. The blend creates a scent that is very similar to Monyette Paris or Kai, which is to say, it smells just like tiare gardenia to me...just a bit more mysterious and darkly alluring (although I wouldn't classify this as a "dark" scent, it's a creamy floral).

It's gorgeous!

4.3 out of 5

I've been wanting to try this one for a long time but I've put it to the back of the line because of the lemon flower. Lemon really goes nuts on my skin and can overpower everything else in sight. I get a strong, smooth lemon for a long time. It's not a bitter lemon scent like the rind, or a juicy lemon like the fruit. It's just mellow and smooth. But still....it is unmistakably lemon and not much else.

After I wore this for at least an hour I could smell some of the other notes coming through. It's a soft, semi-sweet mixture of musk and smoky florals. Nothing stands out as very distinct. I cannot smell the coconut at all, but maybe that's what is adding to the general impression of sweetness. I like the smoky aspect that lurks around.

I would love this if it was without that long opening lemon note that lasts and lasts. But I just can't get past the lemon. It smells so bad on me! Lemon and I were not meant to be. It's too bad because this is so pretty on my skin in every other way.

Wet on my skin, Carnaval Diabolique is lemon flower, opium smoke, black musk, and coconut. Very nice. Unfortunately, it's just lemon before it even dries. Someone else can have this.

Mmmm....okay.

Lemon. Lemon. Lemon! After a minute...here comes the apricot flower....or some pretty sweet floral. Maybe a little musk? Very slight hint of coconut - wishing it was stronger. And there's the opium (about 3 minutes later!). Not sure if I will keep this, but alas, it's very unique. :P

When I first put this on it just screamed LEMON!!! After about 15-20 minutes the lemon faded a little bit and turned in a very generic "perfume" smell on me.

*sigh*

Off to swaps..

In the imp, I get the lemon flower and heliotrope - it's very light and clear.

I get mostly lemon flower on my skin, and when it dries, it's a blend of vanilla, musk, and a hint of coconut. I like it!

Ooooh I got nervous when I sniffed this in the bottle. I smelled lemon, but also something like MINT. Lemon mint makes me think of cough drops.

Shouldn't have worried though. This is WONDERFUL.

Wet on me is lemon goodness with heliotrope. Then it morphs super fast into lemony coconutty vanilla. Its DELICIOUS. This is definitely in my top 5. Everything I had hoped it would be!

I have nose to wrist disease now. I MUST order another bottle of this before the circus leaves town.

*sniffsniff*

In the vial I'm getting the faintest hints of coconut and vanilla with a swirl of lemon and a smoky ovetone.

On my skin I'm picking up heliotrope and coconut, vanilla and lemon. Very soft, lemony and light. Then I get the opium smoke. As it dries, this becomes more smoky, the coconut and flowers disappear. I am left with a smoky alley and a wafting scent of lemon. Entirely enjoyable and for some reason it reminds me of when you walk by the carnival after it's been in town for a few days...a bit dirty and musky, but still the scents of lemonade and flowers.

Not something I'd wear everyday or slather myself in, but an interesting blend and something to hold on to. Not a terribly strong throw, but good staying power. I'm getting hints of lemon and opium hours later. I'd give this a 3 out of 5.

First Impression: A wooden basket filled with lemons.

Dries down to: Something - I think it may be lily - emerges. After a while I get a hint of opium and coconut.

Additional Comments: This is such an intriguing blend. I was off on some of the notes initially but could pick them out later on. Black musk doesn't like me but it sure works here. I love the opium, lemon flower, coconut and heliotrope. The rest of the notes aren't obvious to me but add to the richness. Like other blends that confuse me, I'm really drawn to this one and will probably get a bottle.

Lasted: A few hours.

Rating: 4.5 out of 5.

i think it's opium, but softer. i know others scream that it's all lemon, but that's not the main smell for me. it's actually hard for me to even sense that it's lemony. there's a vanilla in it that makes it nice and soft. it's very much a "perfume" and it makes me think of a succublishous woman. good to wear when i'd be in the mood to prowl, i think. it doesn't seem to have much lasting power (only a few hours) and vanishes to a musky powdery vanilla. good though! a keeper for me!

I got a decant of this from a circle (thanks, Queen Mab!). I would not have bought a bottle unsniffed, but I think I might have to have more of this.

Like the reviewer above, I don't get any strong blast of lemon out of this--at first it seems to be mostly about the flowers, but smooth, sweet and delectable flowers, not the sharp sneezy kind. There is something a little citrus-y to it, but I wouldn't have said, "lemon!" As it dries, it mellows into a lovely, complex scent. I'm really unable to pick out individual notes. I think I can detect a wee dribble of opium, but it's not in your face, slap-you-upside-the-head smoky opium. It's sweet but not cavity-inducing, faintly floral but not in an obnoxious way (I'm not much of a floral person), sexy but subtle, sophisticated, and just plain gooood!

In the bottle, getting a lot of the lemon, and something slightly peppery, it seems.

Wet, it's sort of lemon cleaner with something dark, which I'm guessing is the black musk. I get the slightest hint of coconut, too. I'm not really digging it so much. Lemon is such a bright scent verging on cleaning fluid while black musk is obviously dark and dusky. They don't play well together on my skin.

And now it's turning into lemon soap. I'm afraid this will not be a bottle purchase for me. :P

Expectations: The florals are questionable, and I have a feeling there will be too much opium and musk for my tastes. The foody aspects sound ok.

In vial: Fresh lemon with a bit of flowers.

On skin, wet: A huge flower garden with some lemon juice sprinkled on it. On the second sniff, a bit of musk and smoke was hanging around the edges.

On skin, dry: This reminds me of a darker version of Titania. Like, what the bright spring scent of Titania would become in the fall, when everything's drying up and starting to die. In a nicer way than I'm describing it though!

After time: About 10 minutes later, and it's getting warmer with the vanilla and coconut peeking through. They add a very subtle sweetness. After 25 minutes, there's something a bit sour in the scent. In some intermediate time before that, the smokiness increased and overwhelmed the pretty fruity florals. At 40 minutes, it's a pretty nice blend that's still dominated slightly by lemon.

Conclusion: I like it, but I don't love it. I might want to give it a second try, but am pretty sure that it's not going in the pile for long-term use.

in the bottle: sweet and lemony, and something that reminds me of melon! :P

wet on skin: sweet lemonade, cotton candy, and soft sweet flowers.

dry down: ok, the vanilla is peeking out just a tiny bit and something sweet is mixing in, i think it might be the coconut, but not the rich coconut of Eden. this is much more subtle.

in all: a breezy, sweet summer scent, this would have gone well in the Tiki Lounge! :D luckily, it's around a while longer than those were, so get it while you can!

:D

In the imp: Lemons!~

Wet on skin: Very much lemons still, flowers now.

Dry on skin: The lemons have calmed down and more florals came up. I can't distinguish them for now, but it's lovely :P

Final thoughts: I dig lemons muchly and really enjoyed the way this one morphed on my skin.

In the imp: Someone in the Carnaval is making lemon cream pies. Yeah Baby.

Wet: Hmm. This is what people talk about when they say something smells like pledge. My skin tends to play nicer with lemon, but this is amping straight lemon like crazy and I miss the creamy note it had in the imp.

Dry: Much better: light lemon and cream and emerging opium and light florals. Very mysterious but snuggly and non-aggressive in this stage.

Edited by jupiternf