Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
tamburlaine

The Best Ylang Ylang Scents!

I got a lot of the ylang-ylang in Dragon's Reverie

yes, as do i....ilove ylang ylang too and have found it a hard scent to get right. but dragons reverie does it for me.

I noticed that ylang-ylang really puts me off (sorry, Skuld). It seems like a nice enough scent, so I googled around and I read that women in the early stages of pregnancy uniformly report a strong distaste for the smell. I'm definitely not pregnant, but I'm on The Pill, which I take constantly (no breaks for bleeding), and I know that can actually mimic early pregnancy in some ways.

So...anyone else on BC or preggers who can't stand y-y?

Picking up an old thread...

Hey, that might explain some weirdness I had during my pregnancy! I've always loved Aveda's hair products, but during my first trimester all of a sudden I COULD NOT STAND a couple of the shampoos and conditioners. I'm guessing they had prominent ylang-ylang notes.

Huh. I know anecdotal evidence doesn't count for much, and I see all the other replies from general-non-y-y-lovers, but... interesting!

Seduction smells like ylang-ylang to me, but for some reason I don't really like it.

I smell a lot of ylang-ylang in Seduction too! I do like it, although ylang-ylang is one of those notes for me: when it's good, it's very very good, when it's bad it's horrid. I recently found a Seduction bath bomb from the days the Trading Post was selling them and I really like the way that the scent of Seduction blooms in a warm bath. So I may be putting my bottle to use in the bath.

I was curious to see if I could discern a pattern in my ylang-ylang likes and dislikes so I looked at the search engine on the lab's site. It seems like blends where it's paired with other sweet florals are the ones that work well on me: Blue Moon 07, Melancholia, Loralei, Suspiro, Veil. If it's paired with a note that has a tendency to go sharp on me like apple blossom or dragon's blood or if the blend doesn't fall more on the sweet side of the scale, then the ylang-ylang ends up taking on a sharp or acrid quality.

My like and dislike of Ylang seems to be totally random, depending more on mood than hormones I think. Some days I cant stand it, maybe because I just amp it so much.

Malice has got Ylang, clove, black patchouli and myrrh. That is the only Ylang blend I have really liked so far. It is hard to describe. Very sweet and warm somehow.

The now discontinued Phantom has a strong Ylang element too.

Edited by ImperatrixMundi

Seduction is, I agree, almost pure ylang ylang to my nose. It's so ylang ylang that I can't take it! I think that a YY fan might enjoy Tisiphone too. I don't like YY a whole lot but I do like Tisiphone.

absolutely agreeing with the above on the Seduction. I also thought Pik'kake smells like Ylang Ylang although its not in the notes, the florals in there are close and a Ylang Ylang lover would like it too.

Popped in to add Ylang Ylang, Australian Sandalwood, and Vanilla to the thread. It's a creamy ylang ylang, not at all harsh and is basically a different take on vanilla. Slightly tropical 

Sign in to follow this