Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Tisiphone

Oleander with black patchouli, ylang ylang, and neroli.

Wow...

Tisiphone is a crazy-beautiful and violent summertime ride.
It took a few moments to stir up the memory associated with this fragrance, and even then it wasn't quite possible without a peek at the Lab's notes...
Holy $hí+! Oleander!
Actually, that makes this formula even scarier!
There was a summer roughly a decade ago when some local kids murdered one of their peers in the Orange groves and hung the body from a sturdy limb.

Another friend had gotten into an arguement with his girlfriend and fled the scene... Leaping despondently onto the West-bound interstate-10, where he was struck down by a family in a stationwagon on their way to see a Holiday pyrotechnical display.

Local authorities had declared Oleander a nusiance, and released several varieties of flyer depicting the plant as a child and pet killing menace... Coincidentally, of course, a large stand of these were set ablaze in the center divider of the freeway as folks commuted home from work...

Tisiphone recanted so many of those memories, it was more than a little disturbing. If the Oleander in this formula isn't actually the toxic shrub, it's a flipping brilliant decoy.
The Neroli hearkens to the citrus groves that many of the locals will never be able to look at the same way again.
The Patchouli and the Ylang-ylang point more toward some of the bohemian idealism that afflicted almost everyone, it seemed, at the coffee houses and poetry reads of our little world at the time.
Upon reading the description that inspired these notes, it was ever more disturbing. Given the associations and the kharmic coincidentals, it will be difficult to assign this as a favourite...
On the skin: DANG! This is almost like being drug by the heels through the brush; face being beaten and lacerated by twigs and leaves, the flickering shadows and little explosions of glaring summer sunlight making seizures feel imminent...
The Neroli and the Oleander are SO REAL!!!
Thankfully, the Ylang-ylang sort of reels reality back in.
Any trace of Patchouli has been greedily gulped somewhere between the pores at this rate, and has left nary a trace
of it's ever having been there.
Wow.
Dark green, menacing leaves, flowers, smoke, dirt and carnage.
This is a fragrance that will be neither ignored nor denied.
Well done, Labbies, on this smell's capacity to creep the eff out of a soul!
5 out of 5!

In the bottle - At first it's a patchouli overload, but then the ylang-ylang comes out and slaps me in the face. I'm not picking up any neroli in here yet, hrm.

Wet - Oh hey, it's neroli!

Drying - Ugh, gods, so much ylang-ylang. So, so much. It's blocking out everything else that is going on with this scent, it's so overpowering. I keep inhaling, hoping something else will pop out and beat the florals down, but alas. All flowers, all the time.

Dry (1 hours) - I can't stand to smell this anymore. It isn't floral now, just... bad smelling. My skin turned it absolutely rank.

Overall - No. No. More no.

imp: strong ylang ylang. urg.

wet: ylang ylang and nothing else. i was hoping for at least some patchouli.

dry: this is much nicer once dry, the ylang ylang is very tame though i'm still not getting any patchouli.

This one has been on my wishlist solely on the basis of the Fury it's based on - I have a thing for revenge stories. :D

In Imp: Sweet oleander and and that distinct, strange ylang ylang sour-sweetness. The patchouli is a background note at best.

Wet: Oleander, so sweet and rich it almost borders on vanilla. This is one hefty floral scent. It takes a really intreresting floral to hook me, and this is definitely hitting all my high marks. Dark, rich, sweet, strange.

Dry: Dry I get more oleander than anything else, and that's just fine by me. I didn't even know I liked oleander, but now I am assured that I do! I see that this is one of Brian's creations, and the man knows his damn florals. 5/5

Tisiphone:

Wet: white florals, clean, a touch of pepper. Normally i don't think i would go for florals and especially not white floral, but this is perfect.

Drying: MMM more earthy spice is definitely sofetning it up.

Verdict: This will get alot of use out of me i think.

I'm so happy it doesn't turn laundry on me.

When I pop the cap off my imp, I am immediately welcomed by a sweetened patchouli. I think the ylang ylang and patchouli are so intertwined that together, they create that note, but as soon as I apply Tisiphone to my skin, the two notes break away from each other. The patchouli grows earthier and the ylang ylang twangier. I don't get any neroli whatsoever, which is too bad. As the oil is drying, I can't really decide which note is stronger, the patchouli and ylang ylang. They seem to be fighting for the front seat because they both smell strong to me. Normally, I can't stand patchouli and am not a fan of ylang ylang either, so I'm not surprised that I don't like this.

I popped this in my bag and have been loving it for the past few days.

Wet: sweet wine-like ylang ylang and heady oleander flower with an undercurrent of earthy dark patchouli. Great dynamic. Perfect throw. totally relaxes me and soothes my ego on those tough days at work. Neroli is there but just brightening and sharpening the other elements.

Drydown: This turns into ylang ylang oleander honey on my skin. There's still a bit of dirty patchouli but mostly it smells like it should belong in Rappaccini's apiary. I wish it lasted a bit longer but that's why we buy bottles, right?

This is a bright and sweet floral with a touch of dry muskiness. There is also a bit of a bitter edge in this from the neroli. This is nice with its sweet and dusty combination, but not really something I would wear.

It's not that I don't like it really. It's safer to actually say "I just hate it". Seriously! Something girly, and giggly, and laughable, and tormenting, that absolutely reminds me of my younger sister when she was little. She insisted on following me around tirelessly. Not to have, or find a good game, mind you. She just enjoyed the pursuit, and her own little game of follow along, annoyingly, not at all having been invited, and viciously waiting for the opportunity for revenge, or what ever she called it. She only wanted something to go wrong, just so she could tattle on me. She’s Cajun, or as close as anyone can be, with out actually knowing it. For her, I was merely her prey, yeah right! I swear though, what ever is in this……It just won’t subside, even when coaxed. I’ve added things, I’ve blended it, and squashed it, and blended it some more,…… It’s relentless…. Which eventually makes it lovable, or wearable to court hearings destined to receive sentences of no mercy. If revenge was what Brian had in mind, he got it! I enjoy the challenge of testing her will. I love her staying power and throw, ….. IF ONLY, she agreed with my take on things, but no dice. Recommended only for highly competitive souls! However, it DID cure my headache.

Edited by Bunbun

Hmm...I feel like I should know what oleander smells like, but I cannot for life of me remember. I'm not a huge patchouli person, and ylang ylang and neroli can be hit or miss depending on the blend. I really am not sure what to expect.

In the imp this is a heady sweet floral. I definitely get the earthy/dirtyness of the patchouli. As I said I am not a huge fan of patchouli and I am pretty sensitive to it. I hope I get more of the florals and sweetness on my skin and less of the patchouli.

On my skin this is a sweet heady floral-definitely get a lot of ylang ylang in this. It is on the verge of being cloying, but I think the patchouli actually helps hold it back from crossing that line. This is very very floral though. This is not a blend for floral haters.

As this dries, it goes SUPER powdery. Very sweet floral powder. And that is what I end up with-a sweet powdery floral. I guess I got my wish of no patchouli, but unfortunately, powdery isn't my thing either :(

In the Imp: I don't feel very excited about the neroli in this, so I hope the other notes will cover it up for the most part. Thankfully it's very pleasant from the imp - all juicy ylang ylang and a little bit of the patchouli.

Wet: Can we just have a moment of silence right now? I do believe this is the FIRST time I have not been savagely attacked by neroli in a BPAL scent. WOO! This is quite good, in fact. There's a sexy little interplay between the sweetness of ylang ylang and the oleander, with the patchouli making it just slightly foresty.

Dry: Still sweet yet light florals, with only a tiny bit of neroli's bite. The patchouli has faded. Very interesting. I really don't get the actual "Tisiphone" element of this, because it's quite agreeable and not at all violent.

Overall: I think this would be great as a summer scent. I honestly don't have any complaints about it other than it's not really "me", but I'd be happy to smell it on someone else. Very fresh and light, still sweet with a bit of complexity. And once again, huge points for being the first time I could ever, ever stand neroli.

In the imp, a gorgeous floral. I get the sweetness of the ylang ylang, and a creamy floral mixing with it, which must be the oleander. So beautiful!

Wet: Ylang ylang, and I think the patchouli. Ylang ylang has a tendency to get a little screamy on me, but the patchouli has brought it into line. I think the ylang ylang is lifting the patchouli while simultaneously the patchouli is mellowing the ylang ylang. I'm getting a little hint of citrus too. Hello neroli!

Dry: This is beautiful! It dries off to a perfumey note, which I think is a ylang ylang and neroli mixture. The patchouli grounds it all perfectly. I can't really pick out the oleander anymore, but it doesn't matter. Whehter it reappears is immaterial, because this is so lovely as it is, it can only get better. Absolutely a winner...and I rather think I'm going to need more of this.

Further drydown...the wrist I've tested this on, smells EXACTLY like the inside of a Lush store. This is not at all a bad thing. This turns it from a I think I need more scent to an I must have more one.

Edited by maikastar

In the Imp (ITI): I get very strong patchouli with a sweet hint of oleander. On second sniff, ylang ylang makes itself known in a sweet and exotic bed of incense.

Wet: Yum! There is a thick, heady scent at the beginning that reminds me of dried Debauchery. The patchouli is strong, but it’s a sophisticated one, enhanced by the intoxicating scent of neroli. As it dries, the ylang-ylang and oleander peak though, sweetening the thick incense notes.

Dry: After 8.5 hours, the scent is sweet patchouli, very faint neroli, and just a hint of sweet, innocent floral. It’s rather pretty and something I would consider wearing when I want something a little floral but not grandma-floral.

Other Impressions: For the Fury of revenge for familial murder, I would expect the scent’s namesake to bear notes of dragon’s blood resin and perhaps steel. However, since oleander is a highly toxic plant, and I meant highly, then the element of murder is certainly well represented.

Wet: Fruity floral paired with powdery patchouli

Drydown: Deeper, almost incense-y. I smell the ylang ylang, which is nice, and the neroli is there but it's subtle.

Dry: Whoa! Either I'm amping like crazy or my coworker is wearing something really strong. Need to assess the situation further...OhDearGod I think it's me (how embarrassing!) Well, it's a strong, sweet, vanilla-ish floral. I'm not familiar with oleander but by process of elimination I'd say that's the dominant note here. The ylang ylang is doing a decent job of lifting the heaviness of the blend but still...yikes!

2 out of 10 bones

Edited by BoneBone24

Wet: is there honey in this? *checks notes* Nope. Hmm I smell a honeyed floral. Kind of a dark green floral with a woodsy edge.

Dry: Slightly green dark and woodsy floral soap... No thanks.

Imp: very sharp, and bitter. I almost don't want to put it on.

Wet: still sharp bitterness.

Drydown: somehow it turned to roses with a bitter bite.

Dry: floral soap, not rose anymore. Still has the bitter bite to it that reminds me of biting into a citrus peel. Not that is smells anything like citrus, but the same kind of bitter. There is also incense in the background.

Overall: I have to agree with the person that said trying to figure out what this smells like is trying to remember a dream just as you're forgeting it. it's very well blended, and a very lovely sent. I'm just not sure if it's me, probably going to swaps.

On the skin: This one seems to me like an herbal floral. Kinda bitter. I could definitely see this being a great spring/summer scent on the right person.

It does lose a bit of bitterness after a bit, but it just isn't a scent for me.

This was a frimp with my latest Trading Post order.

In the imp, ylang-ylang overdrive! A little sour, very heady floral. It smells a lot like some incense an old boss of mine liked to burn at her bookstore, so it's a bit of a walk down mostly decent memory lane. I had fun at that job.

Wet, ylang-ylang! Hugely dominant. There's some herbal greenness and still that sour note that's probably neroli which doesn't always play nice on me. No hint of patch whatsoever.

Dry, the ylang-ylang has gone straight up floral soap. It's a nice soap, but it's still soap. Kind of a shame because I was enjoying the nostalgic vibe. I might do better with this in a scent locket than on my skin.

In the bottle and on initial application this was straight-up incense, which is not terrible but also didn't seem particularly interesting. However, now that it's dried down a little, it's sweeter and floral. I like it; glad I have the imp.

I should probably just admit to myself that I like patchouli. Damn hippie.

Got a frimp of this from a lovely forumite. :wub2:

This was a wishlist item and I want to say it was because of my Classical Studies degree but it's actually because I named one of my Pokemon Tisiphone. :lol: I am a nerd.

Anyway, black patch is a note that I have had issues with, but it's not really a huge problem in this blend. This is mostly lovely ylang-ylang over a layer of neroli. There's a gorgeous white sweetness I'm catching that is likely the oleander, which is a note I'm not that familiar with. The only proof that there is black patch in here is a vague powder lingering in the background. Enough to notice but not enough to completely ruin the blend.

Verdict? Not entirely me so no bottle, but I do enjoy this enough to keep the imp and maybe snag a second imp. :D

Sticky, sappy sweetness from oleander and neroli. Surprisingly, the patchouli in this is not coming out at all, but there is a slight smoky element, almost sandalwood-esque. Sweet, powdery, orange, sandalwood.

In the imp: something green and herbal, slightly bitter. Reminiscent of bay leaves, so I assume it's oleander, which I'm not familiar with. White florals in the background.

Wet: Blind-testing this I could have sworn this had beeswax in it, because this is what this smells like to my nose - neroli-scented beeswax. WTF nose?

Dry: still neroli-scented beeswax. This one plays a number on me. I'm not really getting any patchouli that I can discern.

Throw: strong upon application but dies down quickly.

This was quite nice, but not me at all. A soft white floral with a bitter edge.

A very strong dark patchouli and neroli, wow! Upon first sniff, I know this is not for me, as it kinda hurts my head, but on drydown that ylang ylang comes through and adds a sweeter undertone. It's kind of a thick, inky/droopy squishy plum with that dark sharp patchouli.

Wet: The sweetness of the ylang ylang is actually counteracting the normally horribly bitter neroli (on my skin) in such a way that I can actually enjoy how pretty a floral it is! It's like they balance each other out. Enjoying this WAY more than expected. Surprised that I can't smell any patch though.

Dry: This is kind of amazing, because for the first time ever, I feel like I can smell what neroli/orange blossom is supposed to smell like (instead of what my skin turns it into) and it's really beautiful. Unless that's the oleander. Lol. either way, this is a really pretty floral. It feels so classic and elegant. It smells like spring! I do have a lot of florals, not sure I need more, but I am just so stunned at being able to wear anything with neroli in it that I almost want a bottle! And the ylang ylang is so well behaved! This scent is a well kept secret, can't believe it doesn't get more love.

Ohh. I feel like I finally picked out what ylang ylang smells like, despite having it in dozens of blends that I've tried before. This is a white floral, but not the sneezy kind. The neroli is faint, as is the patchouli. I didn't think I'd like this at first, but I do. Very interesting and pretty.