Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
allamanda

Voodoo

A midnight scent, evoking images of flickering golden firelight reflecting off the sheen of glistening skin and the jerking shadows of bodies suffused with spiritual ecstasy. A deep, powerful, resonant blend of myrrh, patchouli, vetiver, lime, vanilla, pine, almond and clove.

OOH... I love cherries and almonds and that's what I smelled in the bottle, so I slathered it on with abandon. The cherries and almonds soon faded to woodsy patchouli and now, six hours later, a sweet, warm vanilla patchouli.

LOVE IT....

I got this lovely frimp from Shadith. :P

Well, that did it. I was able to keep my wishlist under control because I absolutely hate patchouli and so immediately rejected anything that contained it. And then I smelled this...

It starts out with delicious almonds, and then mellows into creamy clove. I didn't get any lime or pine. The patchouli wasn't that dominant, but I'm sure I'd miss it if it weren't in there.

This is on the big bottle list.

I tried this the other day and I don't particularly feel like wearing it again. It's a bit too masculine for me and I put it in the pile of stuff to try on my boyfriend.

It reminds me of cola soda, effervescent, dare I use the word perky? Spicy and kind of woody, syrupy and dark brown. I think the clove really stands out. Overall, it's fun and interesting but not really for me.

I love the idea of this scent.....but unfortunately, Voodoo fell under the curse of the dreaded amping vetiver. The vetivier just kicks the living crap out of all the other delicious ingredients. In the vial I get a brief whiff of the patchouli, but on me it smells like straight VanVan. No myrrh, no patchouli, no lime, vanilla, pine, or (sob! :P ) almond or clove. Just All Vetiver All The Time.

It's clear my skin just amps this scent component like crazy. And the problem with that is that I can't ever decide if I actually LIKE the scent on me that much. It has a ritual-herb aroma that I don't mind in the voodoo blends....just not sure I want to smell like that. It's not actively unpleasant. Just not me.

No big bottle for me. I'm slightly green with envy that so many others get such a beautiful fragance from this one....oh well.....it's not like there aren't many good smellies to enjoy!!

Voodoo .. smells like cherry cola in the bottle. Ive worn this a few times before writing a review .. and each time has been a different experience. The clove and lime really jump out on me .. and blend well for the most part .. but as the scent wears on I get a salty cloying note that is somewhat unpleasant .. on me I think voodoo is a no go .. but as a room scent it is quite nice ... I was really hoping my wacky body chemisty wouldnt ruin voodoo but alas ...it strikes again

In the bottle:

Vanilla and patchouli jump out. I also get the almond, pine, and lime, I think.

Wet:

The lime/clove is much stronger tonight than when I first tried this. Vanilla with almond undertones forms a base, covered by a smoky layer of patchouli/myrrh/vetiver(?). I'm really struck by how much the lime, almond and clove are coming out right now. I think I liked it better without them :P

Dry down:

Thankfully the lime, almond and clove MAJORLY toned down. Sweet vanilla with spicy resinous smoke and just a slight hint of other flavors.

Final thoughts:

A scent with myrrh that doesn't go crazy on me! Yay! I do actually like this a lot. It's a little bit like a smokier Snake Oil.

This one smells like...incense and spices, would be my best guess, but it's not the incense of most other ones I've tried that I've said the same about, very light, and not the spices of Tintagel, either. I guess I just don't really know how to describe it, but reading the description, I guess I'm not that far off. After several hours something a little reminiscent of Snake Oil slithers out, and then back the way it came so that I'm never really sure if I was just imagining things. But it never changes into something I don't like, so I suppose I don't have a problem with vetiver - I'm still not sure what, exactly, it smells like, only some scents with it I hate and some I don't, but it's probably not that. It's very warm and good, more subtle than Snake Oil in the sex department, and not as firey as Tintagel. It goes in the "I'm pretty sure I want a bottle, should I ever get past my list of *need* a bottles" category.

In the vial: deep dark resin. With a chemical component. Uh?

On the skin: Well that's DEFINTELY patchouli and myrrh! Yowza. It's the pine that's throwing the resin scent. It's a dark scent but yet bright, if that makes any sense. The almond and clove came out during the drydown.

Not for me, but a lovely scent!

whoa this smells like cola in the imp! exactly like it. on my skin however, it's different. it's clovey with vanilla, lime and a bit of pine. i kind of like it, although something in it is amped on my skin and gives me a bit of the headache (maybe the pine?) i think i'd like it better on someone else.

started off as a deep smoky vanilla musky patchouli scent, then washed out later to a lime coconut that rteminded me a bit of sunsceen...dark sunescreen, but still sunscreen.

Holy crow, this is awesome on me!

Pine, vanilla, lime and sweetness. It actually dries down smelling like a ritual in progress -- there's no smoke note, but it makes me want to burn candles and dance. I mostly smell good in the sweet and fruit scents; if Verdandi, Penny Dreadful, or Red Lantern work for you, you'll love this.

Voodoo in the first stages smells mostly like patchouli and myrrh on me, very loud and no other notes. After the patchouli and myrrh have had their say, the spices come out and blend in nicely with them and the vanilla and almond. I don't detect any pine which I am happy about because that usually turns to Pine Sol on me. This really turned into a lovely fragrance once everything started playing nice with each other. :P

This sounds like it will smell wonderful; I'm very excited to try it!

Now, y'all are going to laugh at me, but this smells exactly like Coke syrup in the bottle. I'm not really surprised; lime, vanilla, and clove are likely in the formula for Coke, and myrrh and patchouli both sometimes have a very cola smell to me. But the resemblance is startling. It's a smooth, deep scent, like very dark brown velvet and rich green bottle glass. If I keep up on it, sniffing it, it's intensely patchouli and spice with a thick breath of almond. Shades of Cherry Coke, here. It's quite interesting. Let's try it on.

The vetiver comes up immediately, giving this a much-needed edge. The patchouli and myrrh are the background of this scent, dark and thick and damp. There's a trace of pine playing with the vetiver, and the almond and vanilla and clove sort of move freely around between the high and low notes. One is prevalent one moment, another the next. It's a spicy, incense-y, smothering scent, very powerful and throaty, yet quite intriguing.

It settles to an incensey/vanilla finish with a strong whiff of spices and just a twist of lime and pine. Very nice, though a bit murky and throaty for me; patchouli seems to disagree with my chemistry.

This is definitely unisex; the vanilla and clove are very feminine, but the pine and vetiver give this a manly swagger. Worth trying on either gender.

After reading all these reviews proclaiming Voodoo's uncanny scent-resemblence to cola, I was not disappointed on first smelling my frimp (courtesy the lovely evilmistressoftoast :P). It sure does smell like cola!

-- and yet, I can pick out the particular elements that are foiling my nose -- especially evident to me are the pine and patchouli on first application. It smells wet, and sweet (lime, vanilla) - rounded, but with an underlying dry, dusty edge of the vetiver, and the sharp nasal-clearing properties of the pine. Still, it's all kind of roiling together for a while and I do continually catch myself thinking, "Cola!"

As Voodoo begins to drydown there is a change, and I'm no longer wearing soft drink concentrate. Things begin to smell more softened, and I keep detecting a patchouli note that I like. If I had to guess what is coming more to the fore in this stage, I'd say vanilla, and possibly myrrh.

Having dried down for a few hours I have to say I really like what Voodoo has done on my skin. Closer to my wrist it smells drier, from the vetiver I think. I also pick up a lot of patchouli that close. But I keep getting wafts of mysterious vanilla-patchouli and spice when I'm not actively sniffing myself out. There is a tiny edge of pine, and a bit of clove that keep things kind of spicy... it ends up reminding me a fair amount of Blood Kiss, weirdly enough. I definitely agree with Naamah - this is unisex, and I'd like to smell it on a guy.

Final verdict: win! :D

Edited by dorothy humbird

Imp: Almost minty. There's no mint in this!

Wet: Ah, the sweetness comes from the lime, I'd guess. I probably think it's mint because the pine isn't amping like mad but still provides a nice deep greenness.

Dry: Resin and patchouli. Painfully incensey.

I generally refuse anything with an outright pine note. I wanted so badly to like the Organ Grinder, but the pine made me gag. What was even worse was that, behind the pine, I smelled deliciousness. It's the same thing with Voodoo. I love every note in this, but I can't get past the pine. I have no idea if the pine dissipates on drydown, because I can't even make it that long. Damn you, pine!

It's a little toxic when wet, (cacophany of clove and lime and whathaveyou, and reminds me of smoke), but on drydown, it's a creamy, muted blend. It's sweet from the vanilla with just a hint of pine and lime that gives this blend flavor. The vetiver is redolent in the background along with the vanilla, giving this a darker undertone. Overall, a darker, slightly more masculine version of Blood Kiss.

In the bottle: COKE!!! With lime. :P

First on the sking: I still smell a bit of the coke smell, but the other scents are coming through.

Dry: holy crap! This is very smoky and sexy. I feel like a cat on the prowl, and also sipping on a coke. I really like this. :D

In the imp- strong but lovely cherries

On skin, wet: Cherries. almonds and vanilla

On skin, dry: Patchouli, cherry, and vanilla. As usual, my skin is amping the vanilla bigtime, but not so much that the other scents are totally overpowered (yet!).

I love this- it's lovely, heady and deep and sensual. I just wish that vanilla could be more subtle on my skin.

My body amps the sweetness and the patchouli, so it smells like cherries and dirt when I first put it on.

After a minute it become cherry Coke and patchouli, with different notes popping out, lime, clove, pine, patchouli at different times. The dominant smell starts as the cola, then the patchouli, then fades to a sweet, spicy clove.

Just not right for my body chemistry, but it's not a bad smell.

my skin really loves this one. it's so warm and spicy, and incredibly rich. I do sense patchouli in there, but it's rounded up and not cloying, just warm an cosy. vanilla makes it oh-so-sexy and feminine and the blend is fantastic (as usual).

voodoo is great in fall, it lifts me up, makes me feel like I'm all wrapped up in a blanket. but this blanket is more like exotic veils of spices. Need more of this one.

In the Imp: It's different than anything I've sniffed before. I smell the patchouli, but theres also a crispness to it.

Wet: I don't know if I like the combo of patchouli and citrus and pine. It's still very crisp, yet incensey, and i'm not sure if it's just because it's new to me or if I actually don't like it. It starts to get a little smoky, which I'm liking.

Dry: Wow, what a change! The harsher scents have faded and the vanilla and clove are being all warm and comforting and sexy at the same time. So sweet, so lovely.

Overall: I'd give this a 4 out of 5. It takes a while to get there but when it got there, I was in love.

Eta: I tried an aged version of this, and it's ALL pine. Fresh voodoo may be better than aged voodoo.

Edited by BlackLace

In the bottle: WOOD. Yikes, vetiver!

On the skin: Smells like Marie Lavoe's. Exactly like a voodoo shop in N'awlins.

(Funnily, I put this on my son who said, "Smells liks cola!" I didn't think it smelled lke cola, but I'm giggling now reading the reviews that other people though the same thing he did.)

I really liked this on me, but a little goes a LONG way. I only put a few drops on my wrist and it made me sick after about 30 minutes. I'm thinking maybe a drop on my scalp might be good on the rare occasions I want to smell like a voodoo shop.

this did smell minty in the bottle, but got no trace of that once i put it on my skin.

at first it was a crazy concoction of spices i couldn't decipher and then the vanilla and patchouli came out and everything balanced out nicely.

loved the way this one smelled on me dry, and a tiny bit lasted all day long.

This is such an unusual and interesting combination of notes! In the imp, I smell lime, myrrh, and almond.

On my skin, it quickly blossoms into a deeper, richer, smokier combination. I can pick out all of the notes, but nothing seems to overwhelm the blend. The myrrh, clove and patchouli provide a rich base. The vetiver adds a slight sharpness without slicing straight to my sinuses. The pine lends a brighter quality that seems almost minty, but it's subtle. The vanilla adds slight sweetness and padding, balancing the sharper notes. Once dry, the lime seems gone, and the almond is in hiding.

Unfortunately, I amp patchouli liek whoah. That's too bad, because at first, I kind of love this. As it is, for me, it's a very rich, very earthy scent with hints of vanilla, vetiver, resin smoke, and pine. It's still highly appropriate for the theme, but doesn't really do it for me.