Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
allamanda

Voodoo

In the imp: AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (then again, i HATE vetivert.) I had to shut this imp before i threw up. *sigh* okay, i don't give up that easy. Taking it outside i opened it tentitively and held it about a foot from my nose while sniffing. What i got was; campfire ashes, and rasins. :S

wet on: ashes and rasins.

after a bit: ew YUK. nothing but suffocating sweltering gooey resin.

later: No better... the throw is RIDICULOUSLY long. like, 25 hours. and it barely even dissipates.

verdict: i hate this. and i love many bpal scents lol. My mother wore this once in the CAR (freshly on) and even with all the windows down i felt like i was going to throw up and my hed was spinning by the time the car stopped.

This was a frimp from the lab and looking at the notes listed I thought...*intakes breath through teeth* "Not gonna like this". There are just too many killer notes in it for me. Not too fond of Almond OR Pine OR Vetiver..and a little bit iffy with patchcouli.

The vanilla is gonna save this hopefully!

Hmm, this is strong on my skin...very very dominated by the resins. I almost get that Cola sort of feel that you get with Schwarzer Mond. Exept there's a tinge of lime & pine there too.. Very strange and not my cup of tea. They're giving the blend a strange green feel that's odd.

It's got a hell of alot of throw so..I need to apply carefully. (Which I hate doing hehe).

The Patchouli, Myrrh & Vetiver are the main players of this blend and it smells like many other blends with my chemistry that have these notes in. Let's see what happens on drydown.

:whistle:

The vanilla does make an appearance after a while and makes the throw of this scent even thicker!! Now it's a slightly vanillary resinous smell. It's the same kind of vanilla I've been coming across in BPAL blends recently like Tombstone. It's the very thick rich vanilla. This oil is so strong it's crazy, one of the strongest I think I've smelled. The lime has gone...but the pine is coming forward a bit too. This is quite a bizzare blend.

Drier still the vetiver is starting to drown out the Myrrh & Patchouli, but the vanilla is still there. The pine is going. This finally turns a bit more pleasant and a bit less headache inducing when it's almost dry. The vanilla starts to sweeten things alot more but it's still a strange blend. I deffo wouldn't get a bottle of this. It's giving me a headache.

Edited by ouch!

In bottle: Smells like a bitter, woody head shop.

On me, wet: I feel like this smell is interesting but not actually nice. It’s intriguing in the same way that the scent of cedar is intriguing to me, but it has a nose-wrinkling bitterness. It seems like the lime and vanilla would add some welcome sweetness, but I don’t smell them at all – it’s all wood.

On me, drying: I smell like the inside of a rustic cabin in the middle of the woods. I guess I can smell just a whisper of the vanilla now – weird.

Verdict: You know, this is interesting and well-executed, but I don’t really like it. It’s too potent for me. I kind of like the whisper of scent left on my wrist after I’ve washed it off.

In the imp: Vetiver and citrus

Wet: REALLLY sweet almond, lime and vetiver. I'm not so sure all of these notes work together. Hmmm...

Dry: Ok, once the almond and lime subside this is a lot better smelling. The clove and pine now arrive, creating an almost refreshing quality to this (not sharp or bitter at all).
There's some smoky myrrh in there along with the barest hint of vetiver. The drydown is a MILLION times better than the wet stage. This one really is a morpher.

Verdict: Horrible wet, beautiful dry...I'm on the fence with this one.

ETA: 11/18/14

This opens with a syrupy sweet almond top note. Almost always starts out big and fades quickly, it's like the curtain before the show. As the almond fades the vetiver note comes through with a kiss of lime. The remaining almond only adds to the sweetness of this, tempering the smokiness of the vetiver. The myrrh comes through in the final dry down, it almost has a powder-like quality to it.

This isn't something I'll reach for but it's really gorgeous if you're looking to try a not-so-in your face vetiver scent.

Edited by Monster

Inside the imp, vetiver vanilla, and lime.

Wet on the skin, it's vetiver and vanilla. A few minutes after application, almond note & clove notes emerge and a faint amount of patchouli. I'm not getting the lime I sniffed in the amp after I apply the oil to my skin.

Dries down to very soft vetiver, vanilla, and spices.

I'm intrigued enough to keep this imp and see how it ages.

A lot like a less evil version of the Jabberwocky.

There's some notes in here which I love (vanilla and lime) but also quite a few that I strongly dislike (myrrh, patchouli, vetiver, pine, almond and clove) so the result unfortunately is that the bad outweighs the good.

2/5 Can't say I liked it.

I wasn't sure I was going to like this - I have a bad history with Patchouli. (Actually, with the man who wore patchouli, but that is a whole 'nother story)

In the imp: very sharp and green, I can smell the pine and vetiver & that's it.

Wet: pine, vetiver and vanilla. Huh. And then lime and vanilla - yay!

Dry: when a scent makes your eyes roll up in the back of your head, it's time to order a big bottle! And I did. Hmmm, that's been happening a lot... :lol:

This is smoky, clovey, limey vanilla goodness. But not sweet, I guess because of the pine and vetiver. Thank goodness, the patchouli is faint enough so it doesn't do bad things, there is just a depth to this that keeps it from going too sweet on me. It seems like a man or a woman could wear this, now I just need a boy to test it on!

ETA: As I am typing, or just moving around, I keep getting a little drift that makes me think "WOW, what is that? Oh, VOODOO!" :lol: So hard to describe now, the pine, vanilla, vetiver and clove are feeling all warm and smoky and cozy, and the lime is adding a fresh citrus breeziness to it. :wub2:

Edited by ltrittipoe

In imp: Myrrh. Vetiver. basement. I'm psyching myself out.

Initial on skin: Lime + Pine + Vetiver = ... pepsi?

Later: I love patchouli, almond, vanilla, and clove. So I figured woot, this scent will rock. Yet Myrrh and vetiver are sworn enemies to my nose. So combined, I've this love hate thing going on. I love it, then get basement, and don't know how to think about it. It's slightly sweet, spicey in that mellow clove way, and then theres patchouli, but it's sort of dirtied up in a basement way with that myrrh and vetiver. Ruining my patchouli <-<

More later: The notes start to blend more peacefully, making my obsessive sniffing for basement a useless attempt. It mellows into a warm resin-y blend, with a touch of buttery sweetness, and a tiny splash of lime and pine. It's nice, but those occasional hints of vetiver and myrrh just kill me.

overall: Fits the name, has ok throw, ok endurance. I just have hangups with some of the notes. lol

In the imp: Yuck! Cat pee and lemonade?

Wet: Brass polish and menthol. o.0 This one is acting really weird on me. Oh well, at least it smells better than it did in the imp.

Dry: Menthol and cloves. I am starting to pick up a hint of spices and something else... not sure quite what yet, it is more earthy. It actually smells quite nice now.

A few hours later: This one is another one that lasts. It smells like spicy patchouli. Quite nice and woody. Not sure that this one is particularly me though, even though it smells divine.

Got this as a frimp, testing it out today.

In the bottle, I get this deep, woodsy, spicy smell, with a faint edge of sweetness. It's the same on my skin applied wet, too, and I'm really not sure what to think of it at this point, especially as I applied it lightly.

EDIT: And apparently this went really wonky on me, as twenty minutes later, it's faded to this baby powderish sort of scent with a tinge of spices.

EDIT EDIT: And now it's a spicy scent.

I don't think this is going to be for me, sadly. To the swaps!

Edited by Venneh

In bottle: This has vetiver, so I’m not skin testing it. Vetiver dominent with lime and patchouli helping it gang up on my nose. It’s the scent equivalent of getting mugged really. It was so intense I couldn’t deal with it.

In the imp: Vetiver and myrrh with a sharp tinge of lime.

Wet: ALMOND. *gags* That's one of my notes of death :(

After half an hour: Eh. The almond has softened, but it's still there. Along with vanilla. Where is my Myrrh?

An hour: I might wear this occasionally, but these are not my scents.

I get the feeling this might be better on other people.

A frimp; never would have picked it out by myself!

A perfect balance of green and incense-spice. Fresh and warm at the same time.

Clove, myrrh and pine are the strongest notes for me. But the others are also there - perceptible but wonderfully blended. It is refreshing (mint! pine!) but sweaty at the same time (vetiver!) - not in the sense of smelling like sweat, but evoking the image of hot, intertwined bodies. ETA - I wrote this before reading that part in the scent description, so it certainly did its job in evoking the intended image!

Very, very interesting, and I like this a lot more than I expected. Its closest competitor among the scents I have tried so far is No 93 Engine, and that is more versatile. I can't dedide yet what would be a good occasion to wear it. Sitting in a slinky dress in an overheated room in front of a large fireplace in the winter, slightly dizzy with good booze and hormones in male company, but perfectly clear that conversation is the only thing that will be happening that night?

Edited by levelek

This is one of those weird times when I'm getting something quite different than 6 pages of reviewers.

In the imp - bright and intense. I'm feeling the sharpness of eucalyptus mixing with pine and vetiver.

On my skin - the pine and vetiver have hijacked this scent and taken it to an unfriendly place. It's the kind of musky sweet that's reminding me of blends with civit in them. For some inexplicable reason smelling this makes me feel uncomfortable, it's reminding me of

spoiled meat

After some dry down - mellowed out into a musky musk with a pine edge to it.

The more it calms down the more I like it, but that intense wet stage really puts me off.

:::VOODOO:::

Voodoo came as a bit of a surprise.

Opening the Imp revealed a sweet, almost creamy perfume with the slightest hint of humid blooms on the verge of decomposing and returning to the organic, soupy matrix that is the swamp.

Upon applying it to the skin, however, the character changed ENTIRELY. This gigantic wooden smell came roaring out of the pulse points hinting more at a carved statue than a potion or a doll.

Too bad there was none of the Lab's blood in this. :twisted:

Voodoo is very... nice, not as sinister as hoped.

This would accentuate a collegiate casual look.

A blonde, well scrubbed essence.

Rosy-cheeked and bright eyed.

Rustic.

Iron-grey and pine-green.

Classic and somber.

In the imp: Patchouli, vetiver, some citrus (lemon or lime or both) and almonds. Dirty heavy dark forboding marzipan! With lemons!

Wet: Of course the patchouli and vetiver take over. But it's not giving me a headache as the usual patchouli scent does. It's lighter and more...refreshing I guess is the best word.

Dry: Getting more of the vanilla. Very faintly though. This is primarily patchouli and vetiver.

Overall: Don't hate it like I thought I would! Much lighter than expected. I think that the combination of vanilla marzipan lemons really mellows down the vetiver and makes it more pleasant than heavy and dirty.

In the vial, this smells like sweet, flat cola with lime and cherry.

Wet on, the vetiver flares for a few minutes, but then settles back down into just a little dirty smokiness. The cherry smell settles into a nutty sweet almond.

Fully dried, nothing really pops out here, it's a good blend. Sweet but not oversweet. It has that powdery resin kind of feel, overlaying an almost baked-goods kind of base. Just a little bit of smokiness and earthiness.

I really like this!

Edited by MamaMoth

in the imp: strong, grassy herbals with some sweet notes

wet on skin: strong vertiver and pine. The pine is the most dominant note.

dry on skin: This is a very strong scent. The pine is still there, with some sweet notes (vanilla, almond) lurking in the background. But overall what I get most is the pine, and very little patchouli. This is a very woodsy/outdoors scent!

I'm not really interested in Voodoo at all, but I'll go ahead and test it since it's here.

In the imp, I can pick out the lime and something that I reaaaaally don't like. I think it's just this mix of notes; so many things that don't work on me all mushed together.

On my skin, it's a sort of vanilla-lime-BAD NOTES combo. I can't pick much out aside from the lime and vanilla. It's very well blended, just not something I like at all. Well, I do like the vanilla/lime thing, but it has too much baggage with it.

I bought an imp of this to see if I would like it or not.

I do! I am not as good at picking out the notes but it was such a rich blend that I loved every single one. When it dried, I smelled like I had been hugging pine trees all day in a dark forest. Really liked it.

Wet and right on the skin this is POWERFUL! It was overwhelming everything around me and was all I could smell. It's very strong.

I wasn't able to discern any paticular notes, but knew that I was not a fan. It's just so strong that it was hard to pick out any paticular notes.

I read the description on the dry down and saw right away three notes that I never like: vetiver, pine, and clove. Especially clove which is why this smells so strong on me. I would have liked more if the myrhh and patchouli had come out a bit, but all I get are the three notes that I dont care for. Good thing this one was a frimp!

Voodoo was the very first (no, make that second or third) scent that I ever tried.

Most of the notes listed are not anything I would normally go for: lime? Vetiver? Pine? Not really things I seek.

BUT.... :wub2: OMG is this fabulous!!!!!!

It is sexy mysterious herbal woodsy incensey.... I cannot say enough. It is a complex blend, cannot pick things apart in the imp. It morphs and wafts back and forth between notes on my skin. All day.

I've gotten more compliments with Voodoo on than any other scent I wear.

This is very thick and heavy. Vetiver almost never works on me, and I can't tell what else I'm smelling in this but it's making me nauseated. It brings up feelings in me that I don't like, which is very strange.

Voodoo: sweet, spicy, hot hot hot! There is an earthiness and a freshness present, it's like another world, captured in a bottle. An intense world, full of a certain drunkeness, a delirium, a self satisfied sexuality. It reminds me a little of Snake Oil, I guess due to the presence of vanilla spices and patchouli, but there's something else. It's like Snake Oil went mad, escaped from it's bottle and went to some aboriginal festival. I love it. I don't know when I'd wear it, it's almost overwhelming! Maybe outdoors somewhere, as it's so strong it envelops you in an aura of heat, and you almost need to be walking outside to balance out it's effect.

Of course, my opinion can only be subjective, but I love intense smells and this one is even more intense- it suprises me, excites me, and inspires me. Yes, yes, wrap me up in a world of smell, so I can dissappear inside it...

A midnight scent, evoking images of flickering golden firelight reflecting off the sheen of glistening skin and the jerking shadows of bodies suffused with spiritual ecstasy. A deep, powerful, resonant blend of myrrh, patchouli, vetiver, lime, vanilla, pine, almond and clove.

I am reviewing this based on how it smelled on a friend because I would NEVER put this on my skin.
Personally, I opened it and immediately was assaulted by lime. I hate lime and citrus. I seriously couldn't smell anything expect lime with rotten undertones.
I offered it to my friend and was amazed to hear her say it smelled sweet and that she liked it. She put some on, and then the oddest thing happened! Less than an hour afterwards, the scent on her skin had completely morphed into musk. Pure musk. No lime or anything else in the ingredients. I actually kind of liked it then, but it was an astoundingly complete transformation.

Overall, definitely not for me.