Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Megaera

Orris, black amber, bergamot, plum and grapefruit.

Bottle: grapefruit and plum, mainly. and that orris edge that seems to get me every time.
Wet: orris and the plum are in the lead. darn.
Dry: none of the amber yes, and the bergamot is losing the battle against the orris. grapefruit gone, gone, gone.
Later: orries. hates. me. damnit.

bottle:

musky, almost patchouli

wet:

same

dry:

mild musk/incense

overall:

not sure! I need to test again.

rating: 6/10

Hmm. I was hoping for plum in this but I'm bowled over by total grapefruit. A tiny bit of something sweeter comes out eventually, but I literally have to huff my wrist to smell this one at all. It's nice, but not a keeper.

Wow, I love this one. First applied the only note I can pick out is grapefruit. I also smell lemon and orange, but it might just be the citrus associations. As it dries I get a hint of sugar, and then the amber starts to appear as well. Overall it's a lovely, soft, fruity scent grounded by the hint of amber.

Megaera - is nothing if it's not a simply lovely scent! It makes me feel so peaceful and content when I wear it. In a lot of ways, I would put it in the same category as Thierry Mugler's Angel -- not a smell-alike, but if you like Angel, you'd probably like Megaera. I was surprised to find bergamot in the ingredient list since I usually can't be within 10 feet of the vile stuff, but somehow, it blends perfectly with the other notes, and leaves a light, fruity, and woody-floral (from the orris?) veil of scent around me for hours. I do have to touch-up after about 4 hours, but it's worth it for such a nice fragrance.

Yay, no plum! I can make out some sweet grapefruit and bergamot. This is a very refreshing scent. Fabulous!!!

Megaera

In the imp: grapefruit! Bergamot! Citrus! Very tangy.

Wet on skin: still very much a grapefruit dominated scent. Like someone squeezed a grapefruit on me.

Dry on skin: this sweetens nicely once it dries, it's still sooooo grapefruit but now I think I can smell either plum or amber, and a hint of powdery orris. Not bad! Tangy fruits sweetened by amber and mellowed by orris. But it's still the most grapefruity scent I've tried so far, very bright and zingy.

After a while: grapefruit still hangs around but the plum is now there, a sweet, purple, sugar plum scent reminiscent of Bordello (as opposed to the deeper, richer plum notes) with a hint of orris powder, though not too much-the orris is so slight in here, but it's lovely. I think the amber just adds to the sweetness of it all. There's a slight candy like feel to the scent, it's very sugary, which is surprising!

Eventually I get sweet-tangy citrus sugar plum sweets with a hint of orris at the base. This scent is surprisingly cheerful for a Fury, I must say. This becomes very similar to Midwinter's Eve with added citrus. I'm surprised, it still smells of grapefruit after a few hours!

Verdict: this scent is surprisingly happy, tangy and sweet, the kindliest of the Kindly Ones. It starts off incredibly grapefruity, with one of the strongest grapefruit notes I've encountered, one that stays for the scent's duration. So it starts off tangy, and then it sweetens and becomes a sugar plum scent by the end, with hints of orris and amber. It's a cute scent on me-but sometimes a little bit too much like sweets on me. It is, however, my favourite scent of the Kindly Ones.

Emoticon rating: :P

If you like this, try: Bordello

Edited by yeahbutnobut

This is sweet sparkling grapefruit, with a touch of laundry powder and crushed candies in the background. It really has a similar quality as that commercial perfume, Poison, when wet.

As it dries down, it really doesn't take on much character, I'm afraid. It gets lost in it's own candy sweetness and the grapefruit fails ot counter that.

Na ja.

To me, this smells like fizzy orange candy, or maybe orange soda. I like it!

It's a glorious, uplifting, juicy scent that stays true. I need some more! :P

I received this one as a frimp from the lab (thank you!).

In the bottle: A nice round plum scent - very reminiscent of Bordello

Wet on Skin: Still nice and plum, but I get this kind of white scent that joins it -- I originally thought it was white musk, but now I know the description, maybe it's the grapefruit?

Dry Down: Now a hit of candy sweetness, and a little bit of powder (is that the orris?). My skin eats plum, so that's mostly gone but it still smells a little like fruit candy.

In Summary: I love it. I adore Beth's plum note, and I never would have guessed it would smell so nicely with grapefruit! I definitely need to get a big bottle of this one. :P

Megaera is really, really green on me. I'm looking at the notes, and I'm trying to figure out how my skin conjured up this greenness from these notes, especially since I'm usually an amber amping machine. :P

I'm guessing it must be orris. I'm not that familiar with the scent of orris; if I recall correctly, it's an iris root? *scratches head*

Anyway, it smells pretty good, if a touch medicinal in a soothing sort of way, like an aloe lotion you put on when you have a sunburn or something. And the "green" quality works well with Meg being the Jealous One. I'm just not sure it's *me*...

I get the idea it might be, like Undertow, the kind of scent I could wear when I had a headache.

Edited by lady_pandora

The bergamot and grapefruit create a harsh citrus overload, on me. Plus orris has never been great on me, though I can't exactly describe the quality of its badness. Oh well.

Right out of the imp I smell a soothing bergamot. Mmmmm I think I'm going to really love this one.

On my skin this turns to a sweet and fresh plum over bergamont and just a dash of grapefruit. This reminds me a bit of The Dormouse.

On the dry down this is all sweet plum and the soothing bergamont on me. It almost smells like all of my Bpal scent all jumbled up together....like that first whiff you get when you open up your box.

I relaly like this one but it just doesn't stand out enough for me to want to wear it all the tme or purchase a 5ml.

Off to swaps!

This scent is fruity, yet soft.

Magaera is my sulky, petulant, easily made jealous side, as loathe as I am to admit I have one, and one that might pop up regularly, at that. :P

This is quite a darkly seductive scent, though, so you get the feeling that she can and will have any man (or woman) she wants, regardless of the circumstances.

Weirdly, though, it also kind of reminds me of this tea I sometimes drink called Imperial Spice. It's got that dark, fruity-spicy scent.

So it's kind of...evil sexy tea.

Edited by Elemcee

I should preface this with: I :P bergamot and grapefruit, so I have high hopes for this scent.

In the imp: Grapefruit and bergamot, with a white floral that I smell.

On Skin: Grapefruit, with a citrus overtone (from the bergamot). Very pretty.

On Drydown: The grapefruit disappears and I get a warm white floral (which I am gonna assume is the orris) with hints of plum.

Verdict: This is very pretty. But I feel pretty conflicted. If it had stayed like when I applied it, I would love it very much. The drydown isn't bad... but it's just a white floral like smell. If it had grapefruit in it, I would be overjoyed. But in the grapefruit + white floral category, I much rather slather on Baobhan Sith.

In the bottle: A very sweet citrus, but not candy-sweet. A vaguely floral-y sweet citrus. It must be the grapefruit. It's a bit reminiscent of Cheshire Cat, to me.

Wet on skin: Mmm, grapefruit and plum! It's a lot less like Cheshire Cat once it's on the skin; it's not as acidy sweet and has more of a floral element to it, whereas Cheshire Cat is almost pure grapefruit.

Dry on skin: It's definitely more "mature" than Cheshire Cat, probably because of the plum and bergamot. I can't pick out any florals now.

Verdict: I really, really like this blend. Cheshire Cat is one of my signature scents, but Megaera is destined to be on that list too. As I said, it's a more mature, womanly blend than Cheshire Cat.

It's half sweet, spicy and pretty and half putrid sickly sour. I'm not sure what the deal is but I'm pretty sure it's the grapefruit going nasty with my chemistry. I'm also suspicious of the black amber..

I don't know if it's the lingering grapefruit, the plum or maybe a combination of them which is smelling like spoiled fruit. This one just doesn't work on me.

im mostly getting plum and amber from this with a slight hint of grapefruit. it actually reminds me a lot of plumeria. pretty, but probably not something i'd wear all that often, so i think i may swap it.

In the bottle: Bergamot and grapefruit, very sweet, almost tangy. Hmm.

Wet: The amber jumps right out, I can only smell it and the bergamot now. Not sure what this will do, I've noticed some of the other scents I've tried with amber in them turn to baby powder on me, so, let's see.

Dry: Yep, it's like a tangy Love's Baby Soft now. I actually kind of like it! Nothing at all like what it smells like in the bottle, but sort of nice anyway.

Bergamot and citrus. This is like a fancy cup of tea with lemon. Bergamot and grapefruit sometimes disagree with my skin so I doubt I'll be wearing this much, but I'll keep it just to sniff now and again.

I added this to my wish list because it had some notes in common with Snake Charmer. I mean....I knew it wouldn't smell like Snake Charmer, but I was on a plum kick for a while. I know a fabulous imp-fairy who spoils me from time to time and *poof!* there was Megaera.

Fruity scents like this (Megaera) are very hit-or-miss for me. This one doesn't quite work. In the vial, and right after applying, this is a nice light and effervescent scent. Then the fruits emerge, and I'm not crazy about how the plum mixes with the bergamot and grapefruit. Basically it's kind of like stale candy on my skin, and not much else. About 2 or 3 hours later, the amber takes over and it's much better. However.....probably not something I will reach for. : (

Sweet, light, and juicy. This almost has a bubble gum scent. But there is a warm base that prevents it from being too trivial and candy-sweet. It does remind me a little of Cheshire Cat, but this is much less tangy and sharp. All the notes here seem like they are air brushed or coated so they are very soft and understated. The plum, which I expected to be screaming juicy and fruity, is very subtle. It doesn't last very long on my skin, but I do like it anyway.

Not what I was expecting at all from the description. This was a frimp from the Lab, and has been on my wishlist to try. I do think I will buy a 5mL of this eventually, but I'm not going to put this at the top of my must-have list yet.

At first this scent was fabulous and I almost ordered a 5ml right away...goof thing I waited! At first, this came off as a rich blood orange scent. I don't know how it came off like that but it was so beautiful. Refreshing but rich. Anyhoo, after a rather short period of time it all faded into pure plum, and the lab's plum just smells like potpourri on me!

In the vial

Grapefruit! Yummy grapefruit and not too powerfully.

On me

The grapefruit mellows down and something else starts to appear....the bergamot I believe. I don't smell too much of the plum, if at all, but I do smell the amber many minutes later.

Final verdict

Light, spicy/fruity, and yummy! I really do like this. It's just enough citrus, spice, and fruit. Not too overwhelming. I think this would be lovely in the Spring or Summer. I'm keeping this imp and maybe bottle in the future!

ETA

The throw was pale, and barely there. Off to swaps!

Edited by Himsa