Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Megaera

Orris, black amber, bergamot, plum and grapefruit.

Pixie Sticks! For grown ups. :smile:

The plum and grapefruit give this a fruity pop, but the sweet, powdery orris cuts the citrus, softening it and giving me that sugary candy vibe. After 10 minutes or so, the amber emerges, lending a bit of warmth and depth. This actually reminds me a lot of Bordello, except that was too sticky sweet for me, and just went into toddler territory. This is playful and gives me the impression of rosy pink and orange hues, but it's still adult enough I can consider it sexy. Rather short lived on me though, alas, but I'll enjoy my imp.

Orris typically ruins everything, but I love amber and plum, so here's hoping!

Wet: Powdery orris and fruit. It's actually not as awful as orris usually is on me! But I don't love it either.

Dry: Violets - candied artificial smelling violets. That's what orris does on my skin, and the plum is making it worse. Blech, not for me!

I got a frimp from the Lab with my last order and really loved this even though there's a clean, crisp, almost soapy undertone to it (maybe the orris on me?).

After reading one of the first reviews about it smelling like Mr Bubble, I layered it with Cthulhu, and REALLY got a bubble bath smell. My partner didn't like it as a day-wear scent.

After hitting the gym, I thought it would be a good "need a shower so I'm going to slather and run some errands and hope for the best because I'm waiting until I'm home to get clean" scent, haha. He thought I actually smelled good when I came in... So I guess it worked. :P

Alone, it is powdery, fruity, and soft. Throw is medium, wear is medium. With Cthulhu, it's quite a "big," "long" scent.

Very plummy scent while it's wet. When it dries, there is some powdery orris making the plum very, very sweet. I was hoping for a bit of tangy grapefruit, but I didn't get any of that. Just the very sweet plum and orris. I usually really like plum scents, but this one is pretty artificial and is so sugary. I'm not crazy about this one despite liking most of the notes normally.

In the imp: I'm getting powdery orris, and then a blast of bergamot, grapefruit, and plum.

Wet: Grapefruit and orris are the first notes to emerge, and then the bergamot comes out to play. The plum is present, but the citrus notes are keeping it in check. The black amber note is lingering in the background.

Dry: The orris, unfortunately, is the dominant note. The citrus has calmed down significantly, but I do get some of the bergamot in the background. The black amber is more prominent now, and so is the plum. It's primarily orris and plum with a bit of bergamot and black amber residing in the background.

Verdict: I was here for the black amber, bergamot, and grapefruit. Alas, the orris note had to ruin the party (and like LizziesLuck, I feel like the plum makes it worse). The orris in this is just too strong for me.

Wet: Powdery orris and watered-down grapefruit. It's like if someone tried to dilute grapefruit juice by adding water to it? That's how it smells. (Plus the orris.)

Dry: This has gone into candy-like territory! Like faint grapefruit and plum flavored sweetarts.

While I definitely enjoy candy scents, this one is way too light on the dry-down for me.

Megaera was in the first batch of BPAL imps I ever tried. I liked it a lot at the time, less so now that my tastes have matured. Retesting blind, I thought citrus, plum and maybe amber, which is better guessing than I usually do. It’s a flowery fruit blend, candy sweet on my skin. I like my plums deep and dark, with tobacco and resins; this seems more like one of those golden plums. The grapefruit ought to be a foil for the sweetness, but it doesn’t last long on me. It’s nice, just not really my thing.

A mature kind of fruity perfume, plum-forward with a base of amber. More flowery orris on drydown, then grapefruit peeking out. Settles into a gentle plum scent with good staying power. This is an instant favorite for me!