Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Alecto

Olive leaf, raspberry leaf, vetiver and cedarwood.

This is green. Extremely green. It smells like slightly damp leaves that have been trodden upon, like ferns or some sort of forest. It starts turning dry, and oh, there's the vetivert. I was wondering where it had gone. It adds a sort of grounded, earthy, but very rich tone to this scent. Much prettier once it has dried down. =)

9/10

This one is very intriguinging - sweet, but not in a candy way. There is a richness in it that smells like olive oil on warm skin. It is suprisingly nice! There is a leafy note as well. I think this would smell great on a man, but could also be used by a woman. Something about it reminds me of Joop. On dry down the cedarwood note comes out and I smell the leafy note more. Some say this reminds them of spring, but for me it is a perfect fall scent as it recalls when you first notice a crispness in the morning. Maybe it seems like a fall scent to me because of the hint of freshly sharpened pencils in the blend. The olive oil scent stays constant while the other notes jockey for position. It seems like an uplifting blend to me - I am puzzled by the "unceasing in anger" name.

I need to by a 5 ml of this for my husband.

In the bottle, this has a very crisp, herby smell, which continues to the wet stage on my skin.

Once dry, well, 'dry' is what it is, at this point. Like dry herbs. It's almost harsh, actually. Then, the herbs soften, and there's an underlying 'foody' smell, like the herbs are being used to garnish something.

Eventually, it returns to being quite a crisp, sharp smell, and there's a fruitiness in there, too. From this point on, so far, these are the overlying notes, with the herbs underneath.

I do agree with everyone who has said it smelt like an Italian kitchen. There is a rough undercurrent, which I find interesting. Overall, it's a lovely smell, :P romantic in a way, perhaps to be worn by a beautiful woman with an axe to grind.

Darn vetiver. It has to ruin everything it touches for me. Although this overwhelming cedar note isn't helping much either. Some days I really dislike how much my skin amps up woods beyond belief. This may be one of them. Off to swap.

Alecto-

In the imp, I smelly somethin woodsy, fruity & herbal.

On me.. hmmm, olive leaf check... raspberry leaf check... cedarwood check... vetiver CHECK.

I'm not a fan of vetiver and that note is killin it for me in this blend. Thankfully during the dry down it becomes very light, but while its wet... I think it smells like stinky BO.

It's much more tolerable when its dry, I think I might even like it alot.

Ugh, its just that vetiver durin the wet phase.

Alecto...I've never had an oil go bad so fast. When I first applied it, it smelled fruity and dark. After it dried, first whiff I got was bad BO. It smelled bad. It was such a weird kind of bad too, must be the cedarwood. Pity, I like the smell of cedar. Underneath, there was still that herby, fruity smell but mostly it was smelly BO. Off to the swaps for Alecto.

Edited by roenim

Scent: Alecto

Bottle: Sharp floral, like lily and dragon's blood. Some sort of wood - maybe rosewood - lurking underneath. I don't have enough of a nose yet to pick everything out of this.

Wet: The wood comes flying up out of this scent to smack me in the nose. Now it's more like a cedar. Under it is almost a soapy, citrus scent.

First Break: This scent has demised very fast. I recall when I got in the car, about half an hour after I put it on, that I smelled a very nice red sandalwood from it. Here it is at noon, though, two and a half hours after application, and I barely smell it at all (a powdery wood) with my nose on my wrist. It certainly won't last 'til lunch - another hour and a half off.

Lunch: Didn't last 'til lunch.

In the bottle, the first thing I catch is vetiver with a hint of general leafiness… I can’t quite tell if it’s the raspberry or the olive leaf. As it dries it definitely remains very woodsy, between the leaves and the cedar and the vetiver, and very authentic.

If this is supposed to represent anger, it’s a very natural anger. I think I shall rename it Enraged Ent Musk!

imp: cedar, vetiver and a hint of raspberry

wet: sweaty woodsman!

dry: masculine B.O.

The raspberry is dry, like raspberry tea. Whoa, this dries down to smell like carpenter's sweat. Not totally unpleasant, to be honest :P, but not what I want to smell like.

An interesting mix, though, and I'm enjoying picking out the notes: dry wood (cedar!), sweat (oh, hello vetiver!), mild sweetness (raspberry!)...olive leaf remains a mystery to me for now.

Alecto opens with a really nice raspberry topnote, but it seems to clash with the base--vetiver tends to be harsh on me. In theory, I like olive--it evokes Italy so beautifully. But I haven't yet found a blend where it really worked too well on me, and this one is just too "conflicted" on my skin.

On me this is very cedary with some sharp greenery and a bit of sweetness. The raspberry leaf is not cloying or even particularly fruity - it's almost like a tea note. I like having another scent with olive in it, too - those can be hard to find, and this is a nice, round note, not briny. It's a good scent for feeling grounded and strong.

In the vial:

Pungent

On me:

That vetiver jumps right out at first and nearly kicks me in the teeth it's so strong. I can definitely smell the cedar too, lending a woody quality to that vetiver spice. Then the raspberry leaf lends a sort of sweetness to it which is so strange and yet works so well with it. It has a very exotic quality and though I would at first call this a masculine scent, after wearing it a while, I think it's very unisex.

Final note:

I don't normally care for cedar but something about the unusual combination of the woods and spices with that sweet undercurrent makes me strangely fond of this interesting scent!

Oooh! On first sniff, this is faded cedar and light vetiver--unmistakable notes, but not as strong as they usually are. Floating above them is a green, slightly sweet note. The raspberry leaf? Maybe?

I'm not sure what to make of this scent. It's herbal and a little woodsy, but quite light. It's not a cheery or warm scent, either. It's like...opening a small wooden chest, one that's been in the attic for a couple of decades, and finding linen folded around brittle herbs. Solemn, a little sad, surprising, and sweetly clean.

Wet: Crushed leaves and cedar. It's reminiscent of an herb garden or an apothecary's store.

Dry: A pleasant green and cedary smell, like a walk through sunlit woods.

Finish: A cedar closet filled with richly perfumed costumes of silk and velvet.

I like this a lot - it goes on the bottle list. :P

Alecto smells unexpectedly sweet and herbal on my boy's skin - sweet in a way that's almost like a certain candy... but not like any typical candy. Herbal throat drops?

Raspberry leaf and cedarwood seem most obvious to me, and probably some vetiver grounding it. I don't recognize olive leaf, but it must be contributing to the herbal quality of the blend. It blends together very cool, fresh, and cutting - in the sense that it seems to really clear the way through other scents and fill your nose.

The boy likes this the best so far of what we've tested on him, but I think we can do better still.

This is really earthy. Earthy and woody. It's dry. There's a light spice in there as well. This would probably smell nice on a guy, though it's not all that masculine.

This is sweet, sharp, and herbal in the glass. It's all cedar and grassy topnote, quite pleasant.

It goes on rather harsh. The cedar and vetiver are quite sharp, but underneath is a pleasant, green sweetness. This is clean, herbal, and a little medicinal, though not unpleasantly so. The contrast between the sharp edge of the cedar and vetiver and the warmth and sweetness of the olive and raspberry leaf is interesting, and keeps me sniffing it. It is a beautiful scent.

It dries to a woody, sweet finish that is still somehow fresh. Like the smell of the tiny, tiny box into which I shove my rage.

I really like the cedar a lot (reminds me of Cathedral), but the rest of the notes - the leaves and such - are just too sharp and bitter. I love the composition, and I love how the bitterness contributes to the concept of "Unceasing in Anger," but it's just too sharp for me. The drydown does improve it after half an hour, though.

Edited by LadyMedb

On me this smelled piney, rather than of cedar. However, this could be due to the fact that I'm a relatively new forumite, and not used to picking out notes. I'll keep this one to try again. If it doesn't work on me, it might make a good room scent.

Wow, this is a wonderful perfume! In the bottle and at first application it's cedar and nothing else. This alone is something that makes me happy. I've been wanting a strong cedar note in a perfume.

After about, oh, two hours the olive breaks through and mellows the sharpness of the cedar. And about two hours after that the raspberry blooms to add a hint of tartness. Somewhere in this mixture is the vetiver, I'm sure, but it's not distinct.

I've been wearing this oil for eight hours now and I can still smell it! I'm so impressed! I think this might turn into a bottle-buy for me.

This blend is facinating. I sniffed it before reading the description so as not to have preconcieved notions.

First thoughts, herbal and sharp I know there is vetivert in this, warm wood, and something sweet.

On: I really like it! This is walking through a redwood forest when the weather is warm enough to warrant the soft sea breeze that wafts across you.

10/10 On the ferrety scale of goodness.

I love the way this smells in the bottle. Sadly, however, it smells like stale, dusty herbs on me.

in the vial: eewwww, this is too strong. Too concentrated, a slap on my sinuses.

Wet: Maybe I'm traumatised by yesterday's failure with Txadikim Nistarim (a blend that should have worked but turned synthetic on me), but I detect a similar, supermarket-fruit-drops note.

Five minutes later: I've been lucky. The fruitiness is either self-suggestion or the raspberry leaf. The cedarwood and the vetiver aresitting on top. It doesn't smell angry, but serious. Schoolmistress-y. But in a good way. I would wear this to work.

In the imp, the vetiver stands out most of all, followed by the astringent note of raspberry leaf, and the cedar makes a fair showing as well.

Upon application, it continues as mostly vetiver and cedar. The raspberry leaf loses its sharpness almost immediately, and takes on a more herbal quality, with just a hint of the sweetness of their fruit. As it dries, there remains a sharp, pungent note here, but the cedar has faded, becoming nearly undetectable.

Completion of drydown leaves the same sharp, almost-murky vetiver note over a green herbal backdrop.