Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Tushnamatay

Tushnamatay--

Pure internal harmony and spiritual bliss: the perfected meditation blend.

Bottle--there's no description of the ingredients. Kind of flowery and sweet.

Wet--I think there might be lily or gardenia in here. Very girly. Not what I thought at all.

Drydown--It gets a bit greener, less girly. I like it but it was very faint. I'll give it another try, probably.

In imp: Not sure what's in here. Smells like incense.

Wet: Incense! And not that high-brow overpriced stuff people buy at the mall.

Dry: Still smells like incense. In fact, it smells exactly like the incense everyone in my neighbourhood has burning by their front door.

It's not unpleasant but definitely not to my taste. I keep thinking this scent is a bit lowbrow, but that's because incense started driving me crazy years ago.

In bottle/imp: All I get is just a slight sweetness and some musk.

Immediately on skin: I can smell some very light spice… and perhaps sandalwood. There’s a very unassuming sweet scent under it though.

After a few minutes: It's very sweet and there's a slight spicy smell... sandalwood maybe, or some kind of spice? This scent is VERY light and I can't really get any particular notes any longer.

Later on: It faded fast to a light sweet sandalwood scent. This has no staying power on me whatsoever.

A sweet and nearly creamy floral, to the point where it smells uncannily like hand lotion. Fades off REALLY fast.

I think this'd be lovely and calming in an oil burner, but I feel no need to actually put it on my skin.

First wiff, I thought "Some kind of candy that I can't put my finger on". And I really didn't like it...

but after it dried down.. OMG.. such lovely incense! Very sweet, but not in a sick way. I like it.

In imp: smells vaguely familiar, though I'm not sure what... wondering if this is the scent I was smelling when I tore into the box today..

On/wet: A vague sort of sweetness. I'm not sure what it is--it's a very mellow, passive kind of smell...

Drydown: Uh... small, faint, sweet dying while lily and that odd smell of clean baby. Off it goes--the scent combination seems sort of incomplete, and while I don't really dislike it, I don't adore it enough to hang onto it either.

I dragged out my imp of Tushnamatay in hopes of it helping me concentrate better on working on my thesis and clearing my head. I do feel calmer and more positive, but the fact that I'm here and not looking at my .doc makes me wonder. :P

On me, Tushnamatay is a very soft sandalwood with a hint of dry cedar, but there is something very warm, spicy and soothing that makes this scent absolutely calming and soft. There is the idea of vanilla there, but you have to lean in close and take a big whiff in order to notice it.

Even though I slathered it on quite thoroughly I can barely detect it and have to press my wrists close to my nose in order to smell it. Still, even the gentle, faint aura of scent that surrounds me now is enough to make me feel calmer and more clear headed.

A definite winner and going on my 5ml list!

Edited by Dinah

Bottle: (Imp) Odd. I get.. almost nothing. Very faint sandalwood.

Wet: Vanilla. Sweet. .. I don't think this is something that will work for me as a meditation oil.. much less a perfume.

Dry: Sweet, with a bit of vanilla.

Verdict: Nope.

Sniff from the imp: Pure sandalwood. Mmmmm.

Wet: Sandalwood incense and just a hint of vanilla and spice, maybe nutmeg or clove. Wonderful!

Drydown: oh no, what is this sweet plasticky scent emerging...crap, it's the same bubblegum that ruined Bastet for me. There's lotus in this, which I guess shouldn't have surprised me in a meditation blend, but. Dammit. Bazooka is NOT calming and centering to me. :P This is probably gorgeous on someone who doesn't amp lotus like mad.

This is a light foody scent and I think I'm getting some vanilla in the mix. It's hard to pick out single notes, but it's definitely a cakey foody scent without being too sweet or giving me a headache. This is definitely something I could go to sleep by. I'm keeping the imp, but doubt I'll get a big bottle.

Edited to add: This is such a faint scent that it doesn't put off much throw.

Edited by KassiK

In the vial: Soft, sweet, well-balanced are all words which spring to mind. I cannot pick out a single note.

On, Still Wet: Banana?!?! :D Banana split, indeed.

Drydown: Mmmkay, whatever note it was that was giving me bananas is fading away. Now I am getting soft, sweet....somethingorother. Well, this will probably be a short review cuz I can't pick out a single note! Well blended for sure! All I can really tell you is that it is soft, unobtrusive, peaceful, and radiant. I really love this one! It's an all-year-round, anytime, calming kind of scent. I'd say 5 out of 5, but I say that everytime (when I like a BPAL -like 99.9% of the time- I Lurve a BPAL!) What can I say...5 out of 5! :P :D

Edited by TheOneTheyCallLuna

This was a freebie with my last order, and amazingly became the first I tried.

In the vial: Fresh, green scent, but I can't pick out specific notes.

Wet: Soft, creamy sandalwood and something resiny.

Dry: I'm really starting to think the resin I caught early on was amber, and boy does amber love me! This is velvety and buttery (not that it smells like butter, but it evokes similar feelings... I'm not phrasing that well, sorry) and a very comforting and comfortable scent.

First trials I always use a light hand when applying, but even so, this faded very quickly. I think it's just about right for use during yoga practice, though. It's very grounding and calming, and the timing of it seems about right to put it on just before beginning yoga and have it last until I was through, but not much longer, letting me associate the scent with the activity.

I'll definitely enjoy the imp. Not sure yet if I'll upgrade to a bottle once it's gone.

:ptooey:

There's something in here that goes to utter dreck on me - it's a lemony/banana-esque solvent, somehow sickly sweet & industrial at the same time. I had to wipe it off after barely 2 minutes... :P

It was hard to review this one, simply because I'm not sure how to describe what I was smelling. Ah well, here goes.

In the imp: I am wanting to say it was more floral than anything else, though there was a certain...solidity to it. An edge. A razor-thin one, however, as the scent was not strident in any way.

Wet: Still floral, getting a lighter quality to it. It's hard to really, truly catch a whiff of it...it's as if the scent rises just short of my nose, and then darts off to parts unknown, leaving only a ghost of itself for me. I told you this review was hard!

Dry: It gets very faint, fairly quickly -- a couple of hours after application, it's barely detectable. It did leave behind a faint, woody scent, almost like cedar.

Verdict: I'm afraid this doesn't do anything for me; I'll keep an eye out for a loving home for it.

imp: sandalwood and something sort of green and woodsy.

wet: this is quite lovely, a crisp and sweet sandalwood scent.

dry: this fades to a soft sandalwood. very lovely.

On, Still Wet: Banana?!?! :P Banana split, indeed.

Drydown: Mmmkay, whatever note it was that was giving me bananas is fading away. Now I am getting soft, sweet....somethingorother.

Yes... yes... the scent in the imp and while wet reminds me of this banana split-scented bath powder I had when I was a kid. As it dries, I detect some notes in common with Ra: sort of like orange blossom honey with a hint of cloves. It's very soft and sweet; I don't really get sandalwood or vanilla per se, but they are hinted at with a powdery sweetness.

In the imp, I picked up a lot of sandalwood, and some clove.

Wet on me, it mostly smelled like sandalwood... but as it dried, I started smelling more clove and possibly vanilla -- I'm not sure if it is vanilla, but it had the faint sweetness that vanilla turns into on me.

Dry on, it smells mostly like clove and sandalwood, softened by that maybe-vanilla. There was something else, too, but I don't remember what it was and I can't really smell any of it anymore... I'm going to have to buy a bottle when the imp runs out.

I'm not sure if it's coincidence or not, but we had our first exam in second half today and I passed with 90% -- this is supposed to be the second hardest exam of this half. Maybe it helped, maybe it didn't. I'm going to wear it for my next couple of tests and see if there's a pattern. :P (ETA, 04/30 -- wearing this oil for every test, including the final, I have kept a 4.0. I'm still not sure if it's coincidental or not, but I'm going to keep wearing it for exams.)

Edited by Nightroad103

Mmm...I have no clue what these notes are but boy they are beautiful. In the imp I'm getting clean and crisp, refreshingly herbal with a hint of incense perhaps?

On my skin this goes very sweet and grassy for a moment, but then dries down to a fabulously clean and herbal scent. Very much a spring scent, and also a very relaxing blend. I'm going to have to try it again before a final verdict, but I'd give it a 3 out of 5 to begin with...perhaps more over time.

A soft, light scent. I do get "banana" when I concentrate on it, but I don't think I would have thought of that on my own : -)

I don't smell sandalwood at all. This is not an incensey scent like I expected; rather, it's a sweet and understated scent. It's kind of hard to describe because it's so mellow.

I see above that this blend apparently has lotus in it, which has a candyish, bubblegum fragrance. I can't say for myself because I've never smelled any lotus-dominated scents, but maybe that's what makes people say banana...?

It's so faint, I will have to try it out sometime when I just want to do some meditation or centering.

3.8 out of 5

Edit to add: Hmm, some of the older reviews say that the oil is a deep golden brown color. My imp is a light, clear oil, almost completely colorless. I wonder if that's why I don't smell any sandalwood?

Edited by AEris

Bottle: unexpectedly floral

Wet: a round vanilla floral, much like Midnight

Dry: soft, round, deep florals, slightly purple, slightly spicy and incensy but only a hint

This very much reminds me of Midnight, which is a favorite, something deeper going on, but at the same time very soothing and welcoming.

In The Bottle

Soft sandalwood

On Application

I think there is some jasmine in this blend and something rounder and sweet. I am a bit suprised as had no clue from the vial.

Dry Down

This is so unusual and soft. Definitely woods - cedar and sandalwood - and something keeping it sweet. Minilux mentioned in her review that she was getting conflicting images of a woodshaop and a banana split - I so get that. I like it but it is so soft and elusive.

Rating (0-5)

So there are no notes listed for this, but I would assume based on the meditation aspect that there's some sort of incense involved.

In the imp I smell sweet creamy... cedar? Probably sandalwood based on other reviews -- I get the two mixed up a lot.

Wet on my skin, Tushnamatay is pretty! I smell that scent I can NEVER place, but can only refer to as "hollow vanilla" or "woodsy vanilla." Possets' Orion has this feel to it. It's creamy and sweet and sort of delicate. As it dries, it becomes creamier and more settled.

Even with all the settling, though, it's actually too sweet for me in the end, but it is very pretty. Just not anything I would wear often enough to buy a bottle.

Myrrh. Mostly I smell Myrrh. There's a little wood, I think, in the dry down, but not much. There may be other resins besides myrrh, but, I suppose not the ones that I know well. I'm not getting the peppery feel that I usually get from frankincense. There might be vanilla? Or benzoin? I was fantasizing just recently about a vanilla/myrrh scent. Maybe I have one now...

I can see where people are getting the banana from. It isn't intense, on me. Just a bare hint of banana, or some tropical sweetness. Overall, the scent is light and sweet and resiny on me. I really like it!

How strange.

I can't decide if i like this one or not. There is something about it that i like, and something else about it just seems... odd. I can't place it.

In the IMP: Glue? Yeah, white glue.

Drydown: Flowers and wood?

I'm catching something that reminds me of Van Van, but that doesn't help much, since that doesn't have it's notes listed either.

Is there neroli in this? It has that strange almost sickly sweet floraly smell that i get from neroli, but it's blended so well i can't really tell.

Dry on my skin: Soft strange powdery floral that dissapears pretty quickly.

I've reapplied several times and i still can't figure it out. There's something in it that smells strange... actually it kindof smells like that weird sweet smell in the air right after my fiancé sneezes. (yeah, you'd have to smell that to understand)

I'm not sure if i want to smell like that.