Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Tushnamatay

Pure internal harmony and spiritual bliss: the perfected meditation blend.

This blend almost but just doesn't quite work on me, which is a pity, but not surprising as it is an incense blend and I find them tricky. It starts off with incense and blast of floral - very strong, but the floral leaves immediately once on the skin. Then it is fairly consistent - an incense with a sweet background - some kind of muted vanilla I guess. There are moments when I catch a whiff and I like it in an understated way, but mostly I feel vaguely aware of it in a way I don't quite enjoy. I find vanilla tricky as well - I want to love it, but so often it does not love me.

In short I am conflicted about this scent. I may keep it for one more try - after it has aged a few months it might change, but there are so many scents I love more, that I think this is one frimp that will probably go to a new home.

In the imp, it smelled like honey and spices to me. It has an intense scent that I adore; I do not like weak scents.

Wet on the skin, it turned to tart fruit and honey. ?? Okay, I can work with this.

Now as it dries, all I smell is slightly-perfumey dark cherries. Maybe it's the sandalwood? The more I sniff to puzzle it out, though, the less I smell it. Maybe it's meant to be mysterious.

In conclusion, I like this scent, I will wear it again, and I probably will get the bottle, but it's never going to replace Eat Me or Plunder as my top favorites.

Dry: Dry, warm (quite comfortable) warm wood. Sweetened with summery flowers.
Into its second hour the florals are gone, instead theres a vanilla-like sweetness adding to the warm wood, making it softer.
Ends with a beautiful, summer warm wooden scent.

Dominant notes: Warm, sweet wood.

I wish there was more clear notes for this one, as I would like to explore the wood in other combinations.

In the imp I got bubblegum sweet lotus. On my skin I get a spicy almond cream with soft florals.

I don’t usually buy blends that list no notes, but I have this frimp, so let’s see what happens.

On the wand, this smells like some sort of sandalwood incense, lightly sweet with something floral and something like honey. And maybe some other wood: sometimes I think of the Himalayan cedar in Kathmandu, and sometimes of the blondewood in Dragon’s Bone. Either way, this is summery and soft.

Wet on my skin, it smells like a sweet vanilla-sandalwood incense, maybe with Himalayan cedar. Dreamy and pleasant, and plain.

This gains some strength on me as it dries. Lots of sweet vanilla now! Vanilla has taken charge, with woody incense secondary. Pretty. Time will tell if I need a bottle.

In the imp: I'm getting soft resins from this. I can definitely smell frankincense and what I think could be myrrh.

Wet: On my skin, I'm getting more of a soft myrrh with some frankincense. Now it's morphing, and I'm getting a sweet resin that I think is the Lab's Mysore sandalwood note, because it's reminiscent of Kit. The frankincense is a lot stronger than it was initially and is right beside the sandalwood note.

Dry: Sweet Mysore sandalwood and frankincense.

Verdict: I really enjoy this sweet sandalwood note. I don't think I need more since I already have two bottles of Kit, but I'll keep my imp!

I was expecting more resins, but putting it on was like putting on a sugar cone. It's dry, but still pretty sweet and vanilla-rich. It's exactly like a sugar cone for ice cream that is just waiting to be filled. Not really my style.

I want to love this, but it's so light my skin eats it instantly. i have to shove my wrist up my nose to get any scent. it's like a really light sandalwood but that's all i can make out. i will have to try it in a scent locket and see what happens.

Light sandalwood, and when I say light I mean the barest hint of it.

A whisper of florals, maybe carnation? Not enough to be a potent perfume... A drop of honey. All of this put together makes it a lovely, nondistracting scent. Very relaxing. I'm wearing it to bed right now...

Quite sour upon my skin. Although its sour, there seems to be some sort of honey in the background. Really not my cuppa, but interesting to try.

This is such a nice light incense, just bordering on a slight sweetness. Unfortunately for me, my skin eats this in approximately 30 secs. Lovely scent, highly recommend it to be tried!

Wet: I slathered this, and can still barely smell it. I want to say.. warm plastic, play-doh, and incense? (I'm guessing there might be a vanilla note in here.)

Dry: Faint, barely there.... play-doh. Well then.

A frimp with my last order, tested all the way back in May but apparently never properly reviewed here!

In the imp: very light and herbaceous, a sandalwood-eque base with moss overtones and perhaps a hint of tobacco flower or nagchampa.

Wet: white florals (calla/linden) which seems very off-theme. I'd put money on tobacco flower or oleander; it has the same resinous gasoline smell as my Rapacini's Apiary collection. Possibly lemon balm or bay, there's hints of Bard about this one too.

Dry: I never took proper notes in the dry-down, as this sort of faded into a nothing scent after a few hours. Overall it was nothing special on me, and nothing I'll ever buy; I ended up turning it into an atmos spray for our linen cupboard, and it has done quite nicely in that function.

Short-lived and soft, so definitely a good choice if you want a quick blend for meditating. As a wearable scent, less impressive.

Stars: ★★★

This is a sweet incensey blend that I think probably contains frankincense, sandalwood, and hyssop, based on its similarity to Tzadikim Nistarim and to a couple of TALs. There may have been some honey in the early stages. Has a very TAL sort of vibe.

I have no clue what's in here, so we'll just have to trust my nose. I definitely get sandalwood, and a bit of vanilla accompanied by some floral that I can't identify - sorry! This one is quite faint, and doesn't have much throw, but it's nice enough. It claims to be a meditation blend, so maybe it's true potential lies there. 4/10 - a light little mystery.

A friend sent me a lot of decants from her bottles and this was one of them. From the decant it smelled rather light, perhaps something floral, I couldn't quite make out what it was because it was so light but it seemed pleasant so I put some on. While it warmed on my skin for a moment there was the sandalwood that I see mentioned a lot, but then it got sweeter and sweeter and I realized it was turning into almost a single note of very sweet lotus. The lab's lotus note is too sweet for me, so I am afraid it wouldn't work for meditation at all. But among the too sweet for me scents this one is still quite nice.

ETA: In fact I do like this, I really like it. The first lotus heavy scent that I like.

Edited by Zorra

Tushnamatay is a sweet sandalwood incense on me.  Looking at other reviews, the sweetness could definitely be lotus.  It has that almost bubblegummy quality, but the incense is dry and balances it out.  I didn't try to meditate with this, but it's very pleasant just to wear. 

On 4/25/2013 at 9:40 PM, mymymai said:

ITI: It's a flight of white florals with something sweet - perhaps coconut or white sandalwood.

Wet: For me, it smell like faint chocolate, gardenia, coconut meat, and powder (maybe sandalwood, certainly not the honey powder note I get).

Dry: This faded too quickly on my skin. After some dry time, I can pick up super faint coconut and vanilla, but I wish it lasted longer.

The floral sweetness with just a whisper of resin once dried is pleasant and well-balanced, making it something that can be worn in an office setting without fear of choking anyone on screechy florals. It's definitely my pick for #tournamentofunderdogs #underdogs

Edited by mymymai

Hippie shop. Pure hippie shop. slightly spicy sandalwood, possibly incense and a warm honey-sweetness.

received a frimp of this one...starts with a woodiness and something bright and almost citrussy as well. a bit later i get something a bit more creamy/sweet. not almond but something that makes me think of it? i don't know but it's comforting. i think it's woods, heliotrope and something lemony-herbal. it is definitely meditative and calming.