Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
opaleyes

Cockaigne

The weather is always mild, the wine flows freely, sex is readily available, and all people enjoy eternal youth. The Land of Plenty, also called Luilekkerland -- the Lazy, Luscious Land: milk and honey, sweet cakes and wine.

When I opened the imp earlier today and gave it a sniff, I literally said "Ohh, I want a bottle of this!" and after I put it on, I was not disappointed. This is so yummy, it is exactly what I would imagine Cockaigne to smell like. I get all honey, milk, and sweetcakes with a hint of nuts of some sort. It is very luscious and inviting and has a very natural sweetness to it. By natural, I mean that it's not candy-like or overly sugary, it's smells like something warm and sweet and happy. Lots of milk and honey which I love. I think I'm starting to detect a note of the wine under there, about an hour after applying, but it's very faint and it's almost like looking into a hall from the doorway and smelling the wine that they are drinking but not having the glass up to your nose yet. Love this stuff, big bottle list no doubt! Edited by Shollin

My immediate thought upon opening this imp was, "Oh my god, I'm in a bakery!" The scent of cake is amazing... crispy flaky sweetness.

On my skin it became the incredibly delicious scent of pie, which amazingly enough makes me feel not hungry but satiated! I love it! Mmm!

Also, I've been reading a lot about the elusive and exclusive Crumpet Rebellion. I imagine it smells a whole lot like this.

I love the name Luilekkerland, I love the simplicity of the listed notes, and I love the oil Cockaigne to death. In the imp it is identical to Gluttony for me, buttery, nutty, and brownie-esque. On, the ovewhelming buttery scent lightens and the cake and wine notes appear. It's luscious and cakey in a yummier way than Beaver Moon, and it's less heady and spicier than Haloa. As a matter of fact, Cockaigne seems more fitted to the winter holiday season for its spicy edge. The throw is extra spicy for me and while I get a noseful of luscious cakey foods when I am right against my arm, the smell I get when it just wafts out is completely Christmas spice. Another bonus is that it seems like it wouldn't be too cloying and sugar encrusted for innocent bystanders who have to smell me when I am out and about (as the other foody scents I love may be :P :D ).

I want a bottle of this so I can stretch Haloa longer. I love the fact that this is GC.

Ok, Cockaigne and I clearly have a twisted relationship. Because of that relationship, this is not going to be a very organized review.

When Cockaigne first came out, I bought 2 imps. One for my switch witch at the time, and one for me. I loved it. It was spicy sweet honey cakes on me from start to finish. I ended up frimping my imp to someone I swapped with because she desperately wanted to try it. I was sad to part with it, but I loved it so much that I wanted everyone to have a chance to try it. I loved it so much that I put it in my top 10 (temporarily - I'm a fickle soul) and added it to my 5ml wishlist.

I just tried it again today, and it smells completely different on me now. It smells exactly like Gingerbread Poppet with the spice turned down to low. Which, on me, is not a Good Thing. There is something in Gingerbread Poppet that immediately turns to stale urine on my skin. I'm not insulting the scents themselves - they are wonderful in the imp and I'm sure they are heavenly on most people. I put all of the blame on my skin chemistry. But that's what scent lockets are for, yes?

In the imp and in a scent locket: 4 out of 5 stars

On my skin: 0 stars and 1 dirty hobo

scared me in the imp because it was a little too foody, which surprised me as I love cakey stuff...but on it smelled very nice, indeed. It smelled of some kind of honey covered baked good--like baklava, maybe.... as it dried on me, there was a slight but rich dried fruit note--like currants or something...it finally ending up smelling like the mulled wine I had in Dublin on my study abroad, one freezing afternoon. mmmmm. I will be wearing this more in autumn and winter, i think, but I like it! Cozy yet decadent.

Edited by willowtreeling

Cockaigne-

In Bottle: (dies a little of joy) Oh my GOD, sweet cake cinnamon roll icing sugar DELISH. How is it I never found this one before this??

Wet: Sweet foodie cinnamon deliciousness. Vanilla cake. Caramelized pecans. A hint of the scents in Monsterbait: Underbed.

Dry: The cassia-and-cake of Monsterbait: Underbed is prominent on dry-down, with an almost metallic undertone. I'm sorry about how quickly this fades! I will still enjoy it though.

Overall: Love; wish it lasted longer.

Edited to add, 9/19/07: I wore this today (it's one of my very favorites now) and just the little dab I put on my wrist lasted all day. Eleven hours and still sniffable. Why on earth did I think this was a fast fader, the first time?

Edited by steffanina

I had high hopes going in. All the best foodies are LE, it'd be nice to have more in GC. I really loved this in the bottle. Sweet, buttery cream cake. As it dried, however, the wine note came up and ruined it for me. I found it to be sour and acidic, and the cake and honey just couldn't compete.

This also reminded me more of a candle fragrance than any other BPAL has.

But if Cockaigne happens to work on you, you might be glad to know that the throw is incredible, stronger than any BPAL I have tried (including Snake Oil). A little dab'll do ya. Lasted all day and into the night.

Cockaigne

Source: imp recieved in a swamp

I had to try this one, in spite of the description which sounded like it would be gawdawful on me, because my childhood home was called Cockaigne Farm. So I gave it a go... and was pleasantly surprised.

In the imp this smells very sweet and pastry-like. Not so much cake to me as it is too buttery, more like caramel sticky buns.

On wet it smells much the same as in the imp but even more caramel-y if that's possible. There is also a nutty note that blends with the spice I like quite a bit.

On initial drydown this seems quite milky and sweet. My first impression is a caramel latte', heavy on the caramel. Mmmmm. Surprisingly it is not overpoweringly syrupy and I'm actually liking it, though I want to eat my arm. Hmmm, could be a problem.

After several hours I gave the crook of my arm a huff and realized I smell like buttery pecan shortbread. The hubby loved the scent as pecan sandies are his favorite cookie.

This one is truly a scent of a land of sweet nuts, milk and honey. Very foody, very sweet, and quite pleasant. I'm pretty sure I won't wear this on a regular basis but there are times when this will be a perfect comfort scent.

I smelled and reviewed this blind...and it put me in mind of Pleasure Island in Pinocchio where the boys have every fun and tasty thing they could ever want or imagine...all fun and candy and no school, yay!

imp: hot, buttery toffee :P

wet: mmm, do I smell cinnamon?

dry: yes, and toasted nuts!

hours later: I wake up from my nap and all the sweet is gone. I'm left with a vaguely bitter, hollow scent.

This is so delicious though, I think I will have to get an imp and slather myself with it just for sheer decadence! I am not generally a foody-scent lover, so Cockaigne was a lovely surprise for me.

Cockaigne is exactly like the description. The tart, juicy wine compliments the cake note. The milk and honey add a golden touch to the cake. I see a spice cake with cream cheese frosting when I smell this perfume. And it stayed that way too!

Honestly though, I smell like a drunken baker. Or as my mother aptly puts it, “A rum-soaked tart!” I love it. Cockaigne is a bottle-buy for me.

Imp: Jackish without the pumpkin.

Wet: Buttery carrot cake and a hint of berry wine. I get a wee bit of the milk note from Milk Moon '05, too.

Dry: A sugary, syrupy, boozy, buttery cake, no more milk. Its sort of a like a cake soaked in sugar skull, actually. The fruitier year of sugar skull, whichever that was...'05 maybe?

Overall: If I run out of SS, I think this is a reasonable sub. As much as I like SS, its very sweet, and I don't often wear it, though, so this one will be passed on until that day....

Edited by jewelbug

OOOOOH my goodness! This scent is absolutely to die for... AND it lasts!

I repeat, the best part of this is the staying power! No BPAL lasts on me like Cockaigne. This is a must-have for people with tricky skin types.

Cockaigne changes very little from the imp to my skin, and the whole way through it maintains this pure, beautiful sweetness. It smells like warm oatmeal on a winter morning. It's a very warm smell.

I personally don't think it smells like a bakery, but cinammon oatmeal.. there's something so warm behind it that it makes me feel as though I'm actually wrapped in a blanket!

This would be an absolutely beautiful winter scent - it's such a feel-good scent that I think wearing it around children, or when I'm volunteering would be ideal. Sooo lovely. :P :D

Definitely a big bottle.

Cockaigne

This is a very sweet, warm scent. It feels like a bakery, with cake or frosted buns fresh out of the oven. It's inviting like an Autumn harvest, or like goodies during the holidays.

This scent is gender neutral. I first tried it on my husband, as it reminded me of the pound cake scented candle he likes. It smelled comforting on him. As it faded, it had a very faint smoke feel to it that I really liked.

It is a definite foodie smell. It's rich, so I can't see either of us wearing it regularly, although it would be fun to wear occasionally throughout the holiday season.

[1 - Hate] .. [2 - Dislike] .. [3 - Like] .. [4 - Really Like] .. [5 - Love]

4 : There are fleeting moments when this scent is a bit too much, but those moments really are very fleeting. That keeps it from being a 5, but it certainly is lovely enough to remain a 4.

Edited by MaidenGenevive

When I first applied this I got a musty, sweet, confused scent. DH hated it and said it smelled like a burnt candy bar. After awhile, Cockaigne developed into a very strong honey scent on my skin. It is almost pure honey emanating from my skin. I can smell a little of the milk and cake hiding behind the honey. If there is wine, it is the slight berry note I am getting mixed in with the honey. I don't think the honey is really me, plus DH doesn't like it. If you like honey though, this one is for you.

Mostly caramel (reminiscent of Red Lantern), but not as strong, which is a good thing (at least, in term of office wearability). Then gloppy honey and hot milk. I'm not very fond of those two notes, but they are very light and not at all queasy. A lot lighter and fresher than expected, I really like it and I'm already getting compliments. A few hours later the wine comes in; but it'not the usual pink bubblegum I get, it's a hint of something sour and bitter - much more like real wine. A sort of subdued version of Red Lantern, genteel rather than haughty

This is very foody when first on—honey and sweet cakes indeed. I do not pick up any wine at this point. This is all milk and honey with yummy sweet cakes. I’m not usually a foody person but dang if I’m not nosing my arm to constantly smell this. This is yummy and comforting. Like being a little girl and having a fully set up tea party in an afternoon garden with the pretty frilly dress and everything. There’s a joy to this, an innocence in its very sexy yumminess if that makes sense. The wine mellows out the full on cake effect after it dries to create a bit of an even warmer, slight sexier feel to the full arrangement, giving it some complexity and depth. Yum, that’s basically all I can say.

Rating: 3.5/5

imp: sweet vanilla and honey muffins. or like a rich vanilla poundcake. very sugary and sweet.

wet: buttery, lightly spiced, vanilla cake. jewelbug mentioned this being jack without the pumpkin, that is exactly what i thought when i smelled this.

dry: this is sugar skull, dipped in butter and slathered on a cupcake. i normally do not go for scents like this so i'm surprised by how often i keep sniffing my arm and making yummy noises to myself. very sweet, satisfies my sweet tooth without eating anything. :P

In the imp: CAKE

Wet: Starts out ok. HEAVILY foody. It smells like very very sweet and sugary cakes, with juuuust a hint of baking spices.

Dry: BURNT SUGAR LIKE WOAH. This is not a pleasant experience. Ow.

Cockaigne and I do not get along.

Buttery sweet cake with a hint of spice both in the bottle and on my skin.

After time, the sweetness fades just a touch, leaving behind a pleasant spicy almost-but-not-quite vanilla scent.

I kept smelling my arm over and over, it was that good on me.

Cockaigne has been on my wishlist for awhile, so I was pleased to get to try it at the Meet n' Sniff yesterday. It was *nothing* like I expected--I hadn't read the reviews, but based on the description I for-some-reason thought it would be more subtle. Definitely nothing subtle here! :P Straight out of the imp I was blasted with ZOMG-BUTTER-RUM; very much like Grog, actually. I do like some foody scents, but this was too strong for me, perhaps because I wasn't expecting it.

Initially, this smells similar to Eat Me, but Cockaigne is more buttery and less fruity. As it dries, it becomes very different from Eat Me... it's *very* buttery. I feel sort of like I rolled around in butter cookies or used a pound cake instead of a loofah in the shower. And although that's totally something I would do, I'm not sure I want my perfume to betray my perverse cake-in-the-shower activities.

Later: Actually, it's more like I used a pound cake loofah and crushed sugar cookie exfoliating scrub and then slathered myself in butter instead of lotion. It's a bit much.

Even later: When completely dry, it smells like one of those shops in the mall that sells roasted nuts and caramel corn and popcorn balls. And it lasts FOREVER.

this smelled buttery and sweet and gooey in the imp. like cupcakes piled high with frosting. on me it changes dramatically! it's all cake- a toasted, almost-but-not-quite burnt cake scent. milk and fresh-baked cake! then the wine comes up and it changes again. i will be keeping my eye (nose) on this one throughout the evening.

In the Imp (wet): Sweet sweet sweet! Like sweetened condensed milk and the thickest darkest honey, drizzled over the most sugary donut you can possibly imagine.

On facial cotton (dry): When a little dried down, the sweetness fades a little, but this is still very sugary sweet.

On me: Funny how my skin seems to beat down the sugary sweetness a lot. The sugar is less toothache-ing and has developed into a fuller more manageable dessert of icing and cream over a dense cake of full fruit and the tiniest hint of brandy. This might not be a scent I would wear on a daily basis, but it definitely makes me hungry enough to wanna nibble myself. This scent certainly has a lot more standing power than I imagined, which might not be a good idea if you've missed your last meal.

I can't believe I haven't reviewed this yet. Cockaigne was my BPAL gateway scent, the first imp I ever tried of a batch I bought on another forum.

In the imp: butter and spices: clove/cinnamon/cardamom.

Wet: butter, sugar, cake batter, spices.

Drydown: divine buttery spice. I detect a hint of rum.

This has excellent throw and wearlength.

Since discovering this scent I can tell you that Gluttony and Eat Me are similar and have similar exhiliarating effects on me.

Initial Impression: cake, honey, wine

On Wet: grape (tart, almost berry-like), honey (which I start to amp like a mo-fo after a while), cake

On Dry: the honey is shouting at me, some cake, faint grape

Final Impression: I could get cavities just wearing this.

Rating (on a scale from 1-5): 3