Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
opaleyes

Cockaigne

The Land of Plenty, also called Luilekkerland – the Lazy, Luscious Land: milk and honey, sweet cakes and wine.

My scent palette: I'm a foodie that doesn't tend to like the lab's vanilla scent unless there's something sugary in it. Eat Me is one of my favorite scents along with Captain Lilith (more boozy but still sweet). I am slowly finding out that I don't like woods in my scents. I love FOREST smells (like pine needles, juniper, leaves, moss and grass) but sandlewoods, rosewoods, and things like cedar or oak just don't do nice things on me. I love Magnificent Autumn, Samhain and Druid! I like spices too as long as they aren't kitchen spices (like mint and sage). Frankincense smells a little like sage so I haven't been too happy with that in my blends either. Scherezade and Sapphics are my go to spice oils. My biggest no-no are florals. Lavender and Jasmine, ylang ylang and peony run rampant. That said, carnation and sometimes rose can be quite nice on me if they're toned down. I also am not sure about my take on citrus. Lime is overwhleming (but I liked it in Lily Witch despite the leather). Bergamot is nicer. Leather and hemp tend to give me headaches.

In the bottle: Honey and cake. I'm a little worried. Honey goes sour on me.

On my inner elbow, wet: Uh oh, I smell the wine now. Wine is a note that never plays nice even though I love it at first. I'm getting a white wine and vanilla cake and it smells yummy at the moment!

Fifteen minutes later: Between the wine and the honey, this blend is going sour on me. I love the cake notes in Eat Me and in Feeding the Dead (though feeding the dead disappears on me) but honey and wine together...I knew this would be trouble.

Thirty minutes later: You know, this REALLY mellowed out! It's still cakey-like and still sweet but the wine has made it a more adult scent where I find Eat Me to be a playful child's scent.

Verdict: I'm glad that I bought the imp but I wouldn't grab a bottle of this over another Eat Me. I'm not sure if it will get too much play in my rotation either because it does for me what Eat Me does but not any better. If you like the lab's wine notes and want a more adult foodie scent, definitely get this one because it's got a nice boozy afterglow. I'll stick my Captain Lilith for my sweet booze though!

I'm not normally into foodie scents, but this is amazing and something I /never/ would have tried had a kind forumite not thrown this in with an order. Just wow. It's rather boozy in the imp, but on my skin, it mellows out to honeyed spice cakes with a hint of milk and wine. I'm going to give this a full-day test at some point before making any rash decisions, but so far, I LOVE this.

On me, wet, this is a less intense, less spicy/maple-y version of Sugar Skull. If you are out of Sugar Skull and need more STAT, this will hit that spot for you. When it dries, it just smells like sugar and butter, like when you're creaming them together to make cookies. Like, spot on. If you dig that (and who wouldn't?), this is for you. I didn't get spicy plums until I saw someone had written it, and yes, it could be that, too, but mostly I'm getting butter and sugar. Delightful! I don't know if I need this in bottle-size (mostly because I have 5 bottles of Sugar Skull!), but it is extremely well done!

I've been dying to try this, I LOVE the lab's cake note!!

Wet: Glorious honey cake. Rich, a bit buttery, sweet, but not too sweet. Creamy. Not getting any fruit or wine (which is fine by me!).

Dry: Uhhh this is good!! Will need a full-slather, full day test to be sure, but I think this just shot to the top of my "get a bottle" list.

In the imp: The musty pastry note from Knave of Hearts. Eww.

Wet: Pastry is a lot less noticeable, it's more of a honeyed wine now.

Dry: OK, the pastry is far less obnoxious dry, it's sweeter and more like stale piecrust.. The wine note goes very fruity and sweet on me and I would probably like it if I didn't keep catching scent of that godawful pastry note.

Edited by d0gbones

Some how I had completely passed over this previously but the Lab clearly knows what I'm about and frimped it to me

In the imp: Sweet vanilla cake and honey. I've had some scarring incidents with honey, but it's not always so I have some hope.

On wet: Boozy honey cake. This is wonderful.

Dry: Spicy vanilla cake, with a little wine and honey. I am SO happy the honey is working but this is stunning.

Overall: This will be a bottle purchase as soon as I've recovered from Luper spending.

Edited by roseus

This...sure is cake. It's like Eat Me and Drink Me had a baby--it has the boozy richness of Drink Me and the sugary fluffiness of Eat Me. I get no wine out of it, and since I amp BPAL's wine note to an extreme I'm a bit confused. I also get none of the spiciness others are smelling, which is a shame, and no honey. I also tend to amp sweet notes... If I did get spice/honey/wine out of this it might unseat Drink Me as my favorite cake scent, but it's not wowing me as I'd hoped.

Cockaigne is, by far, one of the sweetest GC bottles I've owned and loved. Typically gourmand and foodie scents make me nauseated if they have a hint of caramel cream, but I can do this one---and do it often. :) This opens as a blast of intense buttery sweetness to the face, and then it mellows into a buttery, spicy pastry I'm settling down for coffee with... and I'm ready to devour it. Do recommend to foodies.

sweet vanilla cake and honey. Oddly enough, a bit too sweet for me. And I amp the honey, so it's a no-go for me.

It's very sweet. It's almost like sugar cookies dipped in milk. I really can't get any more descriptive than that. It never really changed or grew. It's just sugary sugar cookies and milk.

I love foodies. I love milk notes and I love honey notes. By all means, I should have loved Cockaigne.

Unfortunately it was cat pee. Just cat pee. A strong, headache inducing and nauseating cat pee scent. I pretty much bathed my arms in goo gone to make it go away.

The imp I had was a very old one gifted by a friend. Maybe that was the problem with it. Part of me wants to try a new imp of it to see, another part of me just wants to stay as far away from smelling that cat pee scent ever again.

If I got a frimp I'd definitely be morbidly curious enough to try it. As it is though, I'll be avoiding buying one to see.

This is amaaaaazing. It smells like I crawled up inside of a honey cake that is smothered in caramel cream, with a dash of that delicious BPAL goodness underneath. You know the scent I'm talking about. It's not a sout wine note, it's fab. I enjoy it and it'd be great layered!

A foodie that I can somewhat stand! 
Sweet cake with honey topping, on a sunny summer day on the beach.

That's the image that goes through my head. just a liiittle too much suncream, otherwise it's neat!

Cockaigne is very beloved on the forums, and was a constant recommendation for foodie lovers... but it just went nowhere on me.  It wasn't catastrophic, but none of the notes really popped or were amazing on me.  Super glad I only wasted an imp laying around forever waiting to finish it. Wish my body would like more of the baked goods type scents.  

Wet: Milk and honey and for some reason I thought there was a touch of tobacco but on me I realized it might actually be the cakes. 
On: This is very warm honey with a touch of cake... I'm not specifically getting any wine. It's a very warm scent and is buttery, but not the kind of foody I generally like.
Dry down: It's slightly boozy here and dark. Although I don't mind honey aged, I feel like this combination of cake and honey just doesn't work on me, or at least, is not my preferred foody scent. I can't pick what it reminds me of (another scent that smells very similar to this) but it's almost like cake that has the balance wrong-- too much molasses to bitterness or too much lemon and extra sugar thrown in to balance it (but is actually making it worse)... just something that I unfortunately can't pick and isn't for me. I'll update this if I ever work it out!

It does however have a good throw and long wear.

I love this.  I’m really only into foodie scents.  Halfling is my favorite followed by King Cake.  This doesn’t remind me at all of Halfling as I love that one because it’s so nutty.  Wet this smelled so much like King Cake to me.  I live in Vermont so pure maple syrup is a staple here.  King Cake reminds me and everyone that smells it on me of Maple Syrup.  Whatever that top note is seems to be the base note in King Cake.  So where King Cake stays that syrupy sweet maple on me, Cockaigne gets spicy and a tad boozy mixed with the maple syrup.  And it has a lighter throw on me than King Cake which I can only wear sparingly in the winter So I don’t overpower every room I’m in.  

So this is definitely a keeper for me.  I like it more and more too each time I wear it.  

Yep, definitely a foodie scent. The milk and honey are there, but with an added sweetness that reads like maple syrup to me. It's also faintly boozy, so I'm not sure if this is actually maple or a result of how the wine note is playing with the other notes, but it's there. So, yeah. Warm, sweet milk, honey, and maple, deepened and made slightly boozy with the wine. It's similar enough to other gourmand scents in my stash that I don't need a full bottle, but I'll hang onto my imp.

In the imp and wet on the skin, Cockaigne is heavy on the sweet cakes, creamy with the milk, but with something darker to ground it. 

Dry, I get the nice pastry smell but it's no longer taking over. Instead it's balanced with a drizzle of honey and the dark hint of wine. It dries as a very dark gold smell.

This reminds me a bit of Athens, but I think I like this one better with that cooled crumbly pastry added in

This one does weird things on me sometimes, I think when I also apply sunscreen. Overall I get a nice, general sweet scent, but with application of sunscreen, it turns more sour, so it's not a scent I go for often. I have found it mixes nicely with Vice.

On 9/2/2006 at 9:47 PM, AliBabble said:

ohhh, delicious. in the imp it is darker and boozier, a buttery, toffee-ish caramel rum cake. but on my skin, it is more cake, less wine/booze. a dark cassia-honey cake. gingerbread poppet is not a bad comparison in tone, as there's definitely a molasses-like smell, but not so much ginger. really this is a honey cake - dark honey and spice. a bit creamy, i suppose but not milky. goddamn, this is good.

I couldn't have put it better. In the imp, I was like, meh. It's that Walmart brand hazelnut candle. But on my arm, oh my God. Holy hot buttered honey cakes with a dash of cinnamon syrup. I cannot stop taking rips of whiffs off my arm. I'm craving buttered hotcakes with honey, now.

I can't really see this as an everyday perfume, though. More of a special occasion treat, to me. Like breakfast for dinner. 🥞

Edited by SimonsSays