Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
opaleyes

Cockaigne

The Land of Plenty, also called Luilekkerland – the Lazy, Luscious Land: milk and honey, sweet cakes and wine.

PuppetMistress is totally right! It smells like an oatmeal cookie! :lol: Superfoodie's dream... thick, sweet, rich date cakes with milk and honey. The cream is not sour, more light almost mixing perfectly with the batter. Super strong with a lot of throw. Yummy, but do I want to smell like oatmeal cookies?

Oh, how I wanted to love this!

In the bottle: Buttery, cakey goodness.....sweet!

Wet on skin: Buttery goodness with a hint of tobacco?

Dry on skin: It has settled down a bit and I can smell the wine coming out now.

Uh-oh, something has happened. Now that it's been on for a while it has a sickly sweet/sour smell to it. Like wine that has sat in an open bottle and fermented. Or like some pee'd on an old banana peel. Weird.

Verdict: I really wanted to buy a 5ml bottle of this but unfortunately the fermented smell never went away. *sad panda*

In the imp: Yellow cake batter, with an extra cup or so of sugar poured on overtop. This is very sweet. No wine or honey apparent.

On wet: The extra sugar vanishes, and it's just rich yellow cake batter, the scent that rises over the mixer after you've added in the last of the vanilla and flour, and you're just giving it another few turns to make sure that everything is incorporated.

Drydown (two hours later): It's still yellow cake batter, but it's softened somewhat, and I'm picking up on a mild spice. So mild of a spice that it doesn't register as spicy, but enough to somewhat shift the flavor of the cake.

Unfortunately, this fades down fast, and three hours later, I need to have my nose practically smashed into my wrist to get a faint whiff.

In comparison with Eat Me, Eat Me is the scent of baked cakes recently frosted, and lasts longer on me. Cockaigne is cake batter, and fades faster. I'll use up the imp, but I think I prefer Eat Me for the long term.

I can smell cake before I even open the bottle! I'm not sure if I ordered this or if it is a frimp as I don't normally like foody smells. I suppose the milk and honey may have been why I ordered it. Yup it smells of cupcakes. I really don't think I can put it on myself, especially after the experience I had with Shub! On the plus side, my disgust means foody-lovers should adore this!

This one was a lot like Miskatonic University, if you take out the main note of coffee and replace it with cake. They both have dusty paper quality to them. I really love MU but I don't really want to smell like coffee....i have no problem smelling like cake though!

It smelled a little harsh to me in the imp, but I figured it would calm down a bit. It did, but I think it still keeps the general qualities of what you smell in the imp.

This lasted a good while too. Probably about 4 hours later you'd still get some good whiffs of it. Even 6-8 hours later I felt like it lingered there a bit.

Not convinced this is a bottle purchase, but I will probably keep the imp.

This imp is over a year old. I get oatmeal cookie from this too!! With brown sugar and nutmeg and warm milk. Very similar to Haunt Shapeshifter. I was hoping for more of the wine note, but it's not coming out. This one lasts forever.

Hello, oatmeal cookies! Wow, this smells like fresh oatmeal cookies!! I am going to have to get the SO to smell this!!

After a bit, it gets a little spicier, but it is still in the realm of baked goods.

This is very tasty!

In the imp: Smells like honey with a tiny bit of a cake type scent poking through.

On me: Honey. All I get is honey. Nauseating, super sweet, thick smelling, honey. Right now, I hate it. I'm trying to deal with it to give it time to fade, but I highly doubt I will wear this again since it's giving me a stomach ache. Sad, I really would have liked the oatmeal cookie-ishness other people mentioned.

In imp, it smells exactly like lemon poundcake!

on me, buttery, sweet, something citrus, and the wine, like a sweet riesling... I dont often like sweet/foodie, but I really love this!

Edited by Shollin
Removed Lab description

I wanted to love this - not so much from the description but from the notes.

Imp: Creamy spicy goodness.

Wet: Agh, the booze is here with a bloody vengeance - certain types of booze go to rot on me and this seems to be taking a turn that way.

Drydown: So the whiff of almost-rancid-wine has (thankfully) just gone - but now I'm getting a lot of cinnamon. Overwhelmingly so.

Dry: More cinnamon. Slightly tempered by the milk / honey, but not enough.

Final verdict is - nothing noteworthy. It was delicious in the imp, but very meh on me. A scent locket might work. I also think this would be nice over Hand of Glory.

In the imp: Buttery and sweet

Wet: Sugary, a tiny bit of honey

Dry: OMG pralines! I smell like a praline! :yum: The sweet cakes smell brown-sugary and I never got a hint of wine or even milk. This is absolutely delicious, and I have to seriously refrain from licking my arm. Definite 5/5 for this foody lover!

In the imp, I get a drier cake drizzled with honey. Applied to the skin, it's reminding me of Gluttony, only it's not as nutty, and the honey is still there too. I get no wine whatsoever. Wet, dry, it stays the same as it stabilizes rather quickly on the skin. While I'm not turned off by it, this isn't something that I would really wear as a perfume.

Milk and honey, with a touch of warm cinnamon. It reminds me a lot of the original Beaver Moon or Monsterbait Underbed. I think it's too much like a foody vanilla candle to wear but I like the idea of it.

When I first tried on Cockaigne, I was so disappointed. It smelled just like a buttercream candle and when I sniffed my wrist, all I got was unscented wax. Blah. But I kept trying it and now I love it! This is what it has been smelling like that last few times I put it on:

In vial: Sweet, cupcakey candle. Do I really want to smell like Yankee Candle?! :eek: It smells like a delicious candle, but a candle nonetheless.

Wet: Ok, add sweetened dates or figs to the mix. Thankfully they smell REAL and are pulling this scent out of the candle hell it started in.

Dry: Someone smelled that yummy candle and used it as a muse to bake a cake. A tantalizingly, creamy vanilla cake with candied dates on top. All throughout the day, this emanates in waves from my neck and chest. Might just have to get a bottle of this liquid cake.

This smells to me just like pumpkin-vanilla cupcakes. I can't believe I've had this little gem stashed away with my other imps for so long and not realised how delicious it is. Looks like a bottle is coming my way :)

In the imp, this was sweet! Cakes! Pow! When I put it on it immediately settled into something spicier, but still sweet and warm, and dry I want to say it smells almost like vanilla chai and Anna's Ginger Thins--mostly warm and spicy, but with just enough creamy sweetness to make it dessert-friendly. I see this going in my apparently soon to be vast collection of Autumn scents.

In imp: Sweet wine and honey!

On skin: Sweet cake, honey, wine, and what I guess is a kinda weird milk note?

Dry: Fresh sticky honey on buttered biscuits! Mostly a sweet, sticky, winey honey. Somehow the wine note makes it smell just a bit more like actual honey to me. With the occasional hint of buttery flakey biscuit. Or cake, but not white cake, like a cake made with dates, with that natural brown sweetness that almost registers spice but not quite. That's probably what sugar smelled like in medieval times. :lol: And so, surprisingly evocative!

So sticky and good, this one. The wine tempers the sweetness and makes it more wearable but still really delicious. Good throw and it stays fairly strong for a long time (8 hrs or so before it began to fade).

Another food one, which isn't up my alley. So sweet with the cake and sugar. A coffee shop or bakery smelling like this could work, but not a perfume on me.

Oh well, into the swap pile.

Again, one of those weird scents.. I like foody, but I am not sure about scents with wine since they always seem a bit too heavy and boozy for me. But here goes..

Imp: A bit like gingerbread.. minus the spices. Like honey cake or cookies. But gingery/spicy. Very rich and tart, seems to harmonize well with the red wine. Not really light or milky. Just.. honey cake, a bit smokey perhaps.

Wet: Something nutty gets through. Like almonds or hazelnut from the cake itself. Or maybe it's just the baked cake. Less sweet, still tart. Not that boozy anymore.

Dry: The heavy, tart and slightly sour red wine gets through again. Smells a bit like red wine and roasted plus sugar-coated almonds now (those that are caramelized with both sugar and honey and perhaps a dash of cinnamon).

All in all.. a bit too boozy for me, but I like the foody cake scent. But it fits well as fall or winter scents.. in summer, perhaps on a rainy day. But it IS delicious, you cannot deny it. If it fits your mood and outfit I guess.

2021 update:

This is mainly smoked digestive cookies on me now.

It's not the same imp I tested 10 years ago, but I am sure ageing of the "new" imp must have taken out the booziness and sweetness and made this a bit dry.

Before, the wine note must have covered the usual celery/fennel vibe I get from sugar notes and baked goods, but it's definitely noticeable now (and I am not a fan).

I have a fonder memory of this - unfortunately this didn't age so well and is a bit blend and funky on my skin now.

Edited by Honey

I was a little worried about this one at first because I wasn't sure I could pull off wine, but here goes!

In the imp: vanilla buttercream frosting. OMG, I want to eat my wrist.

Wet: Sweet, cakey goodness.

Dry: It must be the wine that's coming out now, only it smells like nutmeg, clove, and pumpkin pie spice mixed with the buttery vanilla cake. All together, this is my kitchen at Christmastime.

I haven't worn a foody scent since junior high school because they always seemed cloying and immature, but this is WONDERFUL!!!! This is another one I didn't really expect to like but I end up loving.

Adding to the bottle list. :joy:

Imp Opinion

Buttery, not quite movie popcorn smelling, but almost there. If you've smelled Penny Dreadful, you might know what I mean. Little bit of almond here.

Wet on Wrist

MMMMMMM, yummy. Buttery cakes, kind of shortbread smelling. The wine comes through for me as the sharpness that lasts on your breath after a sip of good dry red wine. Not boozy at all

Dry Down

My grandmother's kitchen smells like this sometimes, half-empty wine glasses, ameretti cookie crumbs, pie crust. Sweet buttery cake, almonds, warm wine.

Fade

I usually have to sniff my wrists to smell any scent I've applied, but this I can smell while I'm typing, even after two hours. Far away scent is almonds and a sharp wine, the gentle butter cake comes through on closer inspection.

Feel

Low lit Italian grandma's kitchen. For me, then, this is comforting and quietly passionate.

Final Thoughts

I love the idea of a boozy cake, we'll see after a good slathering if this will be my cake smell!

This is all cake at first. But as it dries down, it does go oatmeal cookie! A spiciness comes out on the dry down that does make me think of oatmeal cookies with cinnamon and nutmeg. It doesn't seem very boozy at all. It's all cake, milk, and honey that reminds me of tasty oatmeal cookies.

I like this a lot. Delicious~

Edit: After testing this out for a day, this blend gets syrupy sweet and gross on me. No more oatmeal cookies, just a gross, sweet, rotten mess. Whhhhhhhhy!?

Edited by Ryokumuji

On me, this starts out very warm and spicy and sort of amber-y with a strong boozy undertone. After a while the sweetness of the honey comes out to play, and it ends up smelling like good chai with no cinnamon. There's a little hint of pastry, but it's something flaky and buttery and not too sweet. While I was really hoping for cake, this is pretty wonderful.