Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
opaleyes

Cockaigne

The Land of Plenty, also called Luilekkerland – the Lazy, Luscious Land: milk and honey, sweet cakes and wine.

It takes about 20 mins for me to be able to start smelling this, but when I do all I get is light peaches with a hint of flowers, it never really changed into anything more then Peaches. It reminds rather close to my skin, but I found leaves a nice impression after I leave an area (my husband commenting on how I smell after I left my desk 10 mins. Earlier)

Smells like nice buttery English Toffee, om nom nom nom. It really starts to mellow out and becomes more of a buttery butterscotch, at first I thought it was a soapy smell, but reading the scents I am wondering if that tang is from the wine?

All I can say is that this scent fills me with glee

On my second reorder now. It's more gingerbready to me, then anything. AND it's one of the longest lasting scents I've come across here.

I could never wear this on a very hot day, as it's too warming. But a highly comforting scent :P and one I've returned to and like to keep on hand.

In The Bottle

Buttery sweetness

On Application

Buttery cinnamon cakes and honey

Dry Down

My initial alarm at te butteryness seems to be unfounded (buttery notes turn rancid on me). No wine but love the sweet spicey cake scent. Eat me without the currant.

Rating (0-5)

In the imp: Buttery. Intensely foody.

Wet: Darkly sweet. Sir said, "What's that smell? It smells like brown sugar in here." A slight nutty scent; in fact, a big hit of nut came at me and almost went almond on me. (Almond Is The Death Note.) It reminds me of some of the dark honeys, like buckwheat honey; that stuff is almost black, and tastes and smells just like it looks.

Dry: A little spice, perhaps nutmeg? comes out, but it's still overwhelmingly brown sugar/honey with a little butter. I definitely get the milk, honey and cakes, but not much of the wine.

I don't think this is bottleworthy (yet--I may change my mind), but it's a truly great foodie. I'm not sure if it's going in my box or into one of the little girl boxes (they each have their own now).

Wet, Cockaigne smells a bit like Eat Me; I get a lot of the sweet cake, which I love. But after drydown, the wine shows up and quickly becomes overwhelming. Strangely, the total effect is one of a rich Indian dish with lots of creamy-yet-savory sauce. No idea which bizarre little crevice of my brain that comes from, but I swear, I smell like Indian food.

Cockaigne is sweet and slightly nutty. In the imp, I smelled maple syrup, but the scent that ended up developing on me was a lot closer to Honey Nut Cheerios. Strangely, there is something in this that reminds me of Haloes -- both scents have that warm, glowing feeling. I like this a lot more than I thought I would. I work in retail, so I try to wear non-threatening scents to work so that I don't scare customers away with my perfume. I think this would fit the bill nicely -- it's interesting enough that I won't be bored wearing it, but it's also soothing and accessible. This is definitely bottle worthy; I usually don't want to eat my perfume, but Cockaigne is tempting. It smells like the perfect breakfast.

4/5

Butter tarts! Warm gooey butter tarts with lots of raisins.

Cockaigne is like The Knave of Hearts without the roses, and with more butteryness. And there is some wine.

I really like this one, it's very yummy.

Sadly, my fiancé doesn't like this one very much. It's a bit too foody for him. He prefers The Knave of Hearts because the roses keep it from being too much like baked goods. But Cockaigne is pure baked goods!

I don't mind smelling like food though, i still like it and i will definately use up my imp (probably when he's not around, haha)

4/5

Cockaigne, how you break my heart!

I’ve been wanting to try this one for a while, as really all the Wanderlust blends intrigue me. Then I was frimped this by a generous forumite.

In bottle and wet, this is to die for! Sweet honeyed cakes with a slight spiciness and what must be the wine darkening it up. A luxurious and mysterious scent that is surprisingly regal for being foody. It’s like some forgotten dessert concoction from the classical world.

I’ve realized, however, that honey notes do not love me. Once this dries, it pretty much becomes a weird single-note honey. Gone is the glory and the mystery; honey killed it all! It turns into an oddly sharp, dry-smelling honey. Maybe I should just re-apply constantly…but the throw would probably kill those around me.

I’ll give it another chance, maybe try it in a scent locket, but my high hopes for this one are a bit dashed. :P

Wet, this is definitely way sweet. It's a little bit syrupy, but it smells more like a freshly opened back of brown sugar.

As it dries, it becomes much more subdued and wearable. It still smells just like brown sugar, but now it has a milky quality, with just a hint of wine. The wine is soft and boozy, not very grapey. It adds a slightly sour edge to balance the extreme sugariness.

So, I would say this smells more or less like you'd expect: soft, milky cake and sugar. Throw is relatively good, but of all the scents of this kind that I've tried, this seems to be the lightest and most gentle.

I've seen this compared to Crumpet Rebellion. The similarity is definitely there at first, but the more it dries, the more different it gets, on my skin. They're definitely alike in that they're caramelized sugar scents, but this lacks the currants and the dark, gritty edge of Crumpet Rebellion. So, same family, but not exact matches. It reminds me more of Anaconda -- which, on me, smelled like musky brown sugar. If you layered this with well-aged Snake Oil, I bet it would be pretty similar. Definitely close enough for government work, so if you want a substitute for Anaconda, give this a try!

Oh man..this is too sweet for me! I love foody scents, but this is just pure cloying stickiness on me! :D

I don't get much cakeyness in here.

It's pure honey and condensed milk with overripe grapes. My skin amps the honey like woah and not in a good way (too much honey smells almost urinal on me). But ultimately, I think it's the combination of milk and grapes that's the dealbreaker for me. It doesn't mix right with me. And that makes me sad. :P

In bottle/imp: Sweet, foody cake. Almost like pastry… crisp and flakey smelling.

Immediately on skin: This is a very foody scent. It smells like pastries… thick, crispy pastries drizzled in honey. It has almost a saltiness to it, which gives it a crusty feel.

After a little while: All I get from this still is that flakey buttery pastry scent. It’s a bit salty, a bit sweet, and smells very golden and yummy.

Overall Impressions: This scent is that of baked, golden cakes. I don’t smell anything else, not really a creaminess and definitely no wine. It reminds me of the tart crust note in Knave of Hearts (without the rose and currant, of course). It’s a very true pastry/crust scent though. This is totally and completely foody and rich. If you want to smell like sweet, baked pastry or tart crust, I’d definitely say you should try this blend.

A rare instance of a milk note that does not sour on my skin. A deliciously foody scent that for some reason resembles Shub-Niggurath to my nose. I think the wine provides some shub-like warmth.

I love it. :P

In the Imp: Vanilla and honey - powerful!!

On the Skin: Overpowering vanilla and honey with a generous helping of butter. Wow is this strong.

After a While: Vanilla butter candle.

Verdict: Nah... not my bag, baby.

In the bottle I smell honey and perhaps a rich vanilla cake batter.

Wet I smell honey and rich spiced cakes with hints of dried fruit in them. I'm getting a definite pecan danish vibe, and perhaps some allspice? The honey is very rich, almost carmelised. All of the richness is lent from a buttery note. There is a hint of the wine, but it is distant and more like a baked rum.

As it dries, the spice stands out more, but this is still honey and butter through and through, like a rich glaze.

I am not a foody, and can barely handle sweet foods in real life despite a love for baking, so I won't be keeping this for myself, but I think this would be a delight for any fans of sweet, desserty scents.

In the imp, it's cakey, but the wine note is worryingly like pee. Hopefully it's not once I put it on.

Wet on skin, this is thankfully not urine. Instead it's like honey-glazed cakes. There's a hint of something almost spicy in the scent right now, though I don't see spices in the notes. Not sure where that's coming from but I kind of like it. It's also sort of doughy, almost like an undercooked cinnabon without the too-sweet frosting glaze. I swear I tried this before and I didn't like it, but I don't remember why.

It settles into a warm bakery scent and I find I really like it. Not sure what I was thinking last go round. Definitely keeping the imp, at least.

Cockaigne smells heavenly, like buttery waffles and syrup with a glass of milk. Not the real maple kind, but the sticky kind that lives in the 'fridge wearing an old-lady shaped bottle. The kind that you know is bad for you because it has about eight bazillion different chemicals but you don't care because it is decadent and yummy. I can see why this blend is named for the Land of Plenty, because it smells like a perfect breakfast feast!

bottle: sweet, honey cakes - dead-on

wet: the same

dry: hints of the wine, but still very foody

later: yep - sweet, foody, with the barest hint of red wine behind.

This scent is FULL of notes I love. Honey, sweet cakes, wine. It smells great in the bottle.

Sadly, it smells like beer on my skin. Yes, beer. Ick. It takes on this heavy yeast smell as it dries and it never seems to settle back into its correct alignment. I was so disappointed in how my chemistry reacted. Normally my skin doesn't change scents all that much, if any. So, this was a shock.

I had my daughter try it and it just smells like faint tea cakes on her.

I love Gluttony, so I had high hopes for Cockaigne. sadly the wine totally knocked it over the head and drowned out the foody goodness. Wine clearly doesn't like me...

Wet on skin: Sweet buttery cakes, yum!

Dry on skin: Tobacco. Totally reminds me of the cigars my pawpaw smoked.

I'm surprised there's no tobacco in the scent notes but something in it turns to cigars on me!

Edited by icecreamcone

In imp: definitely cake, and honey and milk ... no wine.

Wet on skin: very, very realistic cake, straight from the oven. Some milk and honey, but still no wine. So far so good!

Dry on skin: it doesn't change at all as it dries, except for a currenty note that emerges underneath the cake, and reminds me of Eat Me. Nice!

One of my all-time favorites from BPAL. My bottle is well-aged and syrupy, golden and beyond delicious. This is sweet rich honey cakes, creamy milk, and a bit of kick from the wine. It is not at all cloying and the wine is barely making itself known except for a touch of something spicy. Foody heaven!

I just got an imp of this in my recent order...WOW! This is absoutley delicious!!!! I'm ordering a full bottle of this!!! On me it is overwhelming honey and cake with a drydown of milk (can't pick up any of the wine though). Uber yum.

Edited by AmandaArcana
Merged with existing topic --Shollin

It`s a warm and buttery walnut cake covered in lushious honey. I hope that this explanation is enough to describe the savoriness of this blend :bunnyluv:

I have never had a scent morph as much from wet to dry stage as this one did.

Wet: Oh wow, so delicious! The sweetest cakes with fruit (which must be the wine). This is a perfect foody scent, sweet and rich.

Dry: Oh wow, so disgusting! This turned to sour/spoiled baby formula, and dog biscuits on me. Made me crazy nauseous and I spent hours trying to scrub every bit of it off.

If I could wear this wet I would, but the dry stage was too horrible to even risk trying it in a scent locket. :( Such a bummer.