Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
opaleyes

Cockaigne

The weather is always mild, the wine flows freely, sex is readily available, and all people enjoy eternal youth. The Land of Plenty, also called Luilekkerland -- the Lazy, Luscious Land: milk and honey, sweet cakes and wine.

Definitely getting that cinnamon-donut vibe that people have been talking about, but I think of it as more cinnamon-roll because it seems yeastier than the other foody and cakey BPAL blends I've sampled. Neither the honey nor the wine is a strong presence on me. A good snuggly scent for cold days!

Edited to add Lab description. Edited by Baitu

Eccles Cakes. Or maybe my dad's home-made mince pies. Rich, sweet, butter-pastry comfort food. I think it's possible Cockaigne may be my favourite oil; it's certainly in the top ten. And it lasts FOREVER.

This smells really REALLY similar to lyonesse to me. Just replace the resin with a almost wheaty note and you have Cockaigne. Super throw on it. You really don't need much of this baby for the full effect. Just a really lovely milk, honey, vanilla and a hint of something spicy. :P

in the bottle: rum and butter :D can't go wrong there!

wet on skin: the cake aspect emerges. _attempts gnawing on arm_

dry down: like flakey golden pie crust, sweet jam, and a glass of milk to wash it down.

in all: every dessert should aspire to be this good!

:P

Ok, this is only my second oil to try so my review is more impressions than anything else.

I really want to like the foody scents, but this one was just overwhelming! To the point where when I walked into the bedroom to wake my husband up, he asked if I was baking... so, lots of throw when on.

It smelled like butter, maybe a bit of cream and INTENSE for about an hour or two. It kind of reminded me of an expensive scented candle.

After about two hours, the scent died down to where a coworker (when sniffing my wrist) could barely smell it. My skin just sucked it up! But then it reappeared in another hour, just a bit more muted. :P

It does linger for ages, softening nicely. I like it in the final stages when it isn't :D in your face, but I think it's a little strong for me.

comment by husband: "Wine? The only whine you're going to get out of that is from people at work! *sniff* "Did you bake? And you didn't bring us any?" *whiiiine*

Imp: Foody... Very, very foody. It's not a real identifiable food scent, just a general cake/sweets scent.

Wet: HELLOOOOOOO! This goes on and I have to crack the window. My skin has found something that it loves in a very inappropriate way, apparently.

Dry: Eat Me without the currants. Really strong and heavy food scent.

Throw: The roommate just came in, paused and asked what I was eating. I explained the perfume (she's used to me and my spicy BPAL). She then sniffed my wrist, made a face and opened the window. I don't blame her. I'm kind of embarrassingly stinky with honey and cake right now.

Overall: It's very very sweet and foody. I think it's going to be a wash off for now because I overestimated how much was appropriate to put on. Cockaigne requires a very, very delicate hand. ETA: I just removed it with rubbing alcohol and I can still smell it if I get my nose up close to my wrist.

Edited by paperrose

This smelled wonderful in the imp. When I wore it, like everyone else, it was really strong.

About a half-hour later, it inexplicably started smelling like moldy cereal and stayed that way until I washed it off. I assume this is just a weird mix of my chemistry with it, since no one else reported that.

This was a surprise imp I received in the sale thread. I wouldn't normally have picked something like this on my own, mostly because other foody scents haven't boded well, but holy cow am I glad I received it. From the get-go, it smells like moist, buttery cakes soaked in thick, gooey honey with a douse of sweet milk, and it stays that way once it dries too. This is so amazingly delicious on me, that I couldn't stop sniffing my wrists, and eventually had to resort to eating some sweets. I'll have to see what my bf thinks tomorrow~ :P I was glad to find that it lasts nearly all day and the scent stays true to scent even as it eventually starts to fade. Definitely going on my bottle list. Nom nom nom! :D

I'm not a foodie person :P , the minute I smelt this in the imp, I was so sad that I wouldn't like it.

In Imp: Vanilla and maple syrup.

Wet: Maple syrup and freshly cooked pancakes and melting butter with a slight floral undertone.

Dry: Butter, vanilla, pancakes, freshly cooked scones.

Verdict: If you love foodie smells, you will adore this! I really don't like smelling like food (apart from certain fruits) and this made me feel a little sickly. It is so sweet and foodie smelling that I had to wash it off.

Marks out of 10: 1

I love this scent - LOVE IT - and find myself putting it on almost daily just to smell it on me. So far I've combined it with Snake Oil (ohmygodheaventodiefor), Red Lanturn, Skuld, Drink Me, Boomslang, 13, Chuparosa, others.

Bottle: Honey with maybe a hint of mead

Wet: Creamy cake batter with a touch of honey and spice.

Dry: The aroma cake baking in the oven. As the hours go by, the scent deepens. <sigh>

And yes, I like smelling like a cake baking in the oven. For me, it seems to enhance many scents, especially the foodies, adding a deeper dimension. It's funny, before BPAL, I never considered really considered foody scents as something I would be interested in. The lab scent me a cockaigne imp as a freebie - it would never have occurred to me to get it - especially since wine usually tends to amp on me. Cockaigne. <sigh>

Cockaigne really doesn't like me. You know how I know? Because it PISSED on me! In the imp it was a BIG, moist apple cake with a tiny bit of cinnamon. On me, the apple became strong. Then it got stronger. Then it murdered the cake and cinnamon. Then it turned into preschool-apple-juice. Then it turned into straight human urine. All in the course of five minutes. I gave Cockaigne away before it decided to murder me in my sleep. Never fall asleep in a room with someone who has made their dislike for you so obvious. Especially when you've shut said enemy away in a crowded drawer.

(first review)

in the imp - maple & honey,

wet - honey, honey and honey, with a bit of pancakes underneath.

After drydown, butter, honey, and spices. I smell like a breakfast at a B&B (I mean that in a good way). I'm glad it didn't dry to Cinnabon.

It's very strong - I used one drop from the imp wand. I didn't think I'd like this at first, then I was reluctant to wash it off, and now I'm trying figure out if it would ruin my diet if I bought the 5 ml.

In the imp, this smells overwhelmingly foody...like heavy cream, heavy pastries. Too much. But on, it immediately morphs into tea and cakes (I guess the wine goes to tea on me?). The tea is warm and gently spiced, the cakes are fresh and light. This scent is gorgeous, and not too much at all.

Where's the wine??? I get spice, spice and more spice. Nutty spice. If there's cake in there it's spice cake. Oh yeah, did I say spice yet? Not for me and I love foody...

I'm very impatient and I know i need to give bpalz time to cure on me.

45 min later I get the Butter Rum and I'm kinda diggin' it.

Once I got past the initial blast, I definately see possibilities with this. Glad I didn't wash It off...

HEY!!! I JUST MADE A MATCH (a close one anyway) This is very much like Spring Training 2008 from the Trading Post - very close, I think ST is a little less intense, but I have Cockaigne on the left and ST on the right and they are definately in the same family :P

Edited by gysysingleton

Mmmm

In the vial: sweet buttered rum

Wet: Nutty nut nut.

Drydown: Peanut butter and hazelnut syrup then turns spicy. It still has some buttery flavor, but not as much. Slightly coffee?

This is really unique and fun. You know what this is starting to remind me of as it sinks in? Pinched with Four aces. It's missing the dry cinnamon note that disagreed with me, but it has its own spicy note. I think this should be hugely popular. Yum!

In the bottle, this smells like sweet cakes indeed - mmm, delicious - with just a hint of the contrast of the wine's dryness.

On my skin, the cakey smell is still dominant.

When it dries, the wine is dominant now - a sort of fruity, sour smell - then the cakes, and the honey. The wine ruins it for me, unfortunately - there's something about it that just nauseates me. So sad - I really wanted to love this one.

In the bottle: Maple, honey, nuts, oatmeal, cream! Sweet. A tasty breakfast treat. Really like oatmeal or freshly baked oatmeal cookies or granola bars.

Wet: Spices, now. Cinnamon, brown sugar, oats and nuts (almonds?), all freshly baked. Warm, and still quite sweet, but not grossly sweet - just VERY realistically foody.

Dry: No milk or wine notes. No scary vanilla amping of doom. This is one of the least morphing scents I've ever tested. If I were into foody scents, I'd love this. The sweet note seems much more brown sugar than honey, and I usually amp honey, which is not happening.

Summary: Freshly baked brown sugar oatmeal cookies with nuts and cinnamon and a touch of honey. Sweet, buttery, and increasingly spicy over time. Good throw, great lasting power.

There is a cake cooking and it is covered with honey and on me. Mmmmmmm :P This just keeps getting better and better. I don't get any of the dreaded milk notes, and the honey is the perfect blend of sweet and tasty. I'm a real foody lover, and I can't stop sniffing my wrist. This might have to go on the bottle list...

Wet, this smells just like the tres leches cake I made for my best friend for his birthday last year. Mmm. I think I just got a cavity from sniffing it.

After the initial wet stage, Cockaigne is one of the weirdest scents ever, and not necessarily in a good way. Sniffing directly from my arm, it smells strongly of burnt rubber bands as creamy, extremely foody scents are wont to do on me. However, the throw is a glorious, pure honey scent that makes it worth wearing. My boyfriend told me I smelled like maple syrup. I'm totally OK with that.

It lasts forever. That's the mistake here -- the long-term drydown.

Many hours later I kept smelling, well, what can only be described as unwashed crotch that I assumed was coming from the old couch I was sitting on. I informed said boyfriend of this and he didn't know what I was talking about. I went home and I still smelled it. Decided to sniff where I had applied the perfume on my arm and was horrified to realize that it was ME, or rather, it was Cockaigne. Straight off my skin it's ammonia with a bit of sweetness behind it, which is gross enough without the throw smelling like crotch. :P I am terribly disappointed. I've worn it before and not had any extreme effects either way...maybe my chemistry is screwed up (very likely). I'll try it again next week and see if the problem has remedied itself.

Cakes. Bitter cakes. Bitter burnt cakes. With extra butter. Being thrown at my nose. Slightly alcoholic, slightly DISGUSTING.

It's like the Home Ec. teacher baked pastries in the Science lab.

Eaugh.

Conclusion: I thought I was going to like this from the Imp. But, alas. Evil honey attacks again!

1/10. SWAP!

On me, Cockaigne is just honey single note. My skin loves honey like you wouldn't believe, but it amps it to a point that's almost unbearable to me. I'll have to pass this one on.

Wet (in imp and on skin): Oh, no... Yankee Candle again... My nose and skin just don't agree with the sweet, food scents.

Dry: Sickly-sweet fakiness

I so wanted to be a foody. I am not.

This might be my alltime favorite scent. I smell like a buttercream cake. Sinful, delicious...I want to eat myself :P

AAAAaaaahhhhhhhh!!!

This is lovely.

I smell cake and icing, cream, and tea. In the far background may be a sweet white wine.

It reminds me of high tea at the British Museum. It brings the sounds and sights of that afternoon in London back to my mind.

The best part of this one for me is that it is the first scent that smells exactly like what is in the imp once I put it on.

I'll know more about throw and duration later today, but for now I'm the happiest girl in the world.

I MUST HAVE A BOTTLE OF THIS!! :P

on me this is extremely rich, buttery, heavy - more cake batter than cake. Every so often, I get a boozy whiff, nothing too not-safe-for-work. Its awfully cool, but I don't want to smell like cake batter. So I'm just not a fan of foody scents on my skin, but if you are, you should definitely try this one.