Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
viciousviolet

Jabberwocky

An earthy yet buoyant scent: pine, eucalyptus and orange.

In the imp, this is almost all eucalyptus, with some orange peel. Very... not sharp, exactly. Bright, almost aggressively so.

On me.... Wow. This smells really bright and clean. Way too bright and clean for me. It starts out pure eucalyptus, then almost immediately a note of pine poked through. Minutes later, it's orange with an undercurrent of the other two notes.

And now it's gone, leaving just a breath of orange.

Interesting, but SO not me. And even if it were, it only lasted like 20 minutes.

I have the same problem as some of you with Jabberwocky...it fades almost immediately on me!

The problem is trebled by the fact that my beloved Blogger Boy ADORES it.

I mean, I do too, but anything that gets the boy off the screen, and all over the back of my neck is PRECIOUS!

I don't blame him. It is so GREEN and fresh and piney but sweet too. Daytime, I am all about the green smells.

Can anyone recommend something this green smelling that lasts longer? Me and my neck would thank you.

In the bottle:

In the bottle, this made me make this face -- "@___@" -- it's so strong and very eucalyptus that it jolted my senses

On me:

At first, this is very much Eucalyptus, it's powerful and I can't smell anything else. In a few minutes though, the pine takes over and I smell like a household cleaner. Not pleasant at first. About 15 minutes after wearing it though, the orange starts to peek out a bit, and the pine takes a backseat, while the eucalyptus becomes more refreshing yet a little more sweet as well. I really enjoy the scent at this stage.

Final note:

I'm honestly still trying to decide about whether or not I even like this. The problem is that it doesn't last on me, after half an hour, I can barely smell it at all. And I don't like the initial phase of smelling like a cleaning product. But it does have a nice phase after that which makes me feel fresh and uplifted. I'm pretty much right down the middle on this scent. I don't think I'll get a bottle of it, but I do think I'll keep my imp!

Edited by Brianne

I haven't had any luck with the Mad Tea Party smells, and judging by the imp, this isn't going to be the one that breaks my losing streak.

Imp: Oo, eucalyptus and pine and this smells just like my toilet cleaner.

Wet: I think the orange is coming in, as the eucalyptus is taking a hike and the pine is becoming sweeter.

Drydown: Gah, the same with added orange powder.

Overall: I love pine...but not when it reminds me of toilet cleaner. :P

Oro

Edited by Orodemniades

Jabberwocky went through a lot of changes over the three hours that it lasted on my wrist...

At first, the eucalyptus was STRONG and bothersome. I have a hard time wearing eucalyptus because it smells very medicinal on me. In this stage it is very sharp and bitter... sinus clearing and screechingly loud.

After about a half hour, the eucalyptus is patted down by a lovely scent of pine (reminding me of the pine in Dublin).

Then... chlorine... it reminded me of the pool that I went to when I was younger. In the summer the doors would be open and the scent of pine would drift in... but there's this watery chlorine smell backing it up. It's odd, my skin chemistry seemed to warp the eucalyptus into a chlorine scent.

In the final stage before the Jabberwocky disappeared, it smelled like chlorine and orange hard candies.

This is definitely an interesting scent... but I don't think that I love it enough to ever get around to buying a full size bottle. Though I do like the watery chlorine and pine smell that reminds me of happy summer days spent swimming.

This one wins the award for the most astonishing turnaround. In the bottle, I immediately smelled Halls menthol-eucalyptus. Bleh. On the skin, it came out so blaringly loud, I thought I was going to have to scrub it off, which I rarely have to do. It was seriously making my eyes water.

When I turned back to it less than a half hour later, the eucalyptus was completely gone. Instead, I got the most delicious, sweet and slightly creamy orange. There's a faint whisper of something green behind it, maybe the pine, but it keeps to itself.

This is lovely. Really lovely. Not sure I can handle that eucalyptus stage to get to the orange stage, but perhaps this will give me inspiration to seek out similar notes in other blends. Wow.

Wet it's a strong eucalyptus scent, followed by the pine, with a soft orange undertone.

Dry in my skin is like the Karma perfume but without patchouli.

It's a green perfume with citric notes, fresh and neat.

I just love how Beth comes out with incredibly simple yet incredibly lovely and evocative scents :P

The Jabberwocky is a difficult creature to encapsulate in a fragrance. The closest creature association I have with it is a friendly dragon (don't ask!!)--earthy darkness but with a certain whimsicality. The dark pine, shimering eucalyptus, and bright organge perfectly captures this concept. It's both foresty and bright, a cacophany rather than a harmony that fits in perfectly with the odd world of Wonderland.

This would make a wonderful room scent :D

Bottle (Imp): Whoa, very pine-y.

Just On: Overwhelming pine-sol type scent.

An hour or two later: Wow, my nose and skin don't like this one. It's not pine sol any more, but it is pine, for sure.

Around 6 hours: It's mostly gone, with faint whiffs of pine left.

12 hours: It is all gone.

Overall: Whew, I pretty much got pine out of this, and it just isn't my type.

After reading other reviews: I really got nothing but pine out of this, and that's just not a scent for me. It's interesting, but not something I'll wear.

Imp: Mediciney. :P

On me: wet. Eucalyptus slapped me around, bigtime.

On me: dry - definitely orangey

Impression: I'm sorta in the mood to clean something now.

Verdict: Fabulous room scent. I'd want my dining room area to smell like this.

This was the first imp out of my Lab order that I wanted to try :P

I'd read the reviews, so when I opened the bottle my first reaction was "Wow, that IS strong." Not that I doubted y'all or anything, but it's certainly something to experience firsthand :D

On, it was definitely medicinal at first, but the pine and orange are coming out to play and the eucalyptus is more of a bracing afterthought. It smells kind of crazy, the way I'd expect a Jabberwock to, and although it's not "me" quite yet, it certainly has potential as a keeper.

Bottle: EUCALYPTUS. No earthy bits, no orange, just straight up Vicks Vaporub.

Wet on skin: eucalyptus. It didnt immediately develop beyond that, but it did help clear my sinuses. After a few minute, the skin on my wrists (where I put it) felt strangely numb.

1 hour on: Orange Pinesol. Not an improvement on me.

Conclusion: The notes are too distinct and abrupt for my taste. But it could be your best friend if you had a sinus infection. Very industrial and medicinal on me.

Wow! This is a nice, cold imp I will pull out on those really hot days. The eucalyptus and pine serve to keep me refreshed and awake. I even feel more energetic when I have it on. Imagine that :P The orange is subtle but makes its presence more known as this dries down. A beautiful, refreshing scent, this one is.

This was such a great surprise! I tried it because it sounds so unusual, and I couldn't imagine it at all (well, except that I thought it'd smell like menthol rub). And it is beautiful! :P

In the imp and initially there is that HUGE menthol Vicks vapor rub smell. Put this stuff on and clear your sinuses fast! But this only lasts a few minutes, then menthol fades, and the orange and pine appear. And it is wonderful. It smells like a freshly halved orange, dripping with juice, sitting in the sunshine, with crushed pine needles nearby. The two balance nicely. It smells sweet, clean, light. It is light, which is a little ding, but it lasts at that light stage for 3-5 hours.

I'm not sure yet if I'll get a big bottle. I do know that I love this scent, because it smells so good and so natural, but not like I'm wearing "perfume" (I guess that would make it a skin scent). Anyway, I'm keeping the imp, and it is definitly in the running for a big bottle!

Wet - wow, pine and eucalyptus! That really clears my sinuses.

Dry - as it dries the orange comes to the forefront and sweetens up the whole mix. The notes balance each other very well, once dry it's neither too sharp nor too sweet, but in all honesty this just isn't for me.

On the wickedgoddess scale of 1 to 5, with 5 being best, this rates a 2

My Impression:

Well this is definitely dark pine with eucalyptus while wet. As a matter of fact I never even detected the orange note until after drydown. But it comes out as the eucalyptus fades somewhat. I would love this on a man, although I would have to agree with earlier reviews that stated it faded way too fast. While it lasts it is quite lovely though.

Bottle: Initially, orange, and then very strong eucalyptus. Very menthol-y. Medicinal like a cough drop. I am testing this as a his and hers.

Him:

Wet: eucalyptous with something warmer under--citrus--orange, but somehow limey as well.

Drying: Slight orange VERYVERY faint (medicinal cough drop smell gone). Wow, never had one fade so fast.

In 1:45, its still there, but you have to stick your nose right in it to smell. It’s a slightly powedery orange. Not for him.

Me:

Wet: Strong eucalyptus. Menthol, cough drops. Very pungent. Nothing else yet.

Drying: It gets more orangey, in about 30 min, its less blatant as cough drops, though they are still there.

Its fading very quickly. By an hour in its but a very faint orange.

Overall: Fades too quickly on both of us and was too medicinal for my tastes, anyway. Though, I think it'd make an awesome scent for a facial steam or something--especially if you had a cold. To the swaps.

Edited by jewelbug

First sniff: <ahem> COUGH DROPS!!! That is some serious eucalyptus. Hoo boy.

Wearing: Well, I don’t think I can wear Jabberwocky as perfume, but I’m definitely keeping it around for when I have sinus trouble. This stuff is better than Vicks. Smells better, too. :P

Whoa, I feel like I'm in koala heaven!

Strong eucalyptus and orange... zesty! Holy crap, this is potent. Like many of my fellow reviewers, this one is a bit much as a perfume. Though it would be just awesome in the winter if I had a cold. I would put it on at night and I'm sure it would help me breathe easier/sleep better.

Though if I were going to be a koala for Halloween, I would definitely wear this trick or treating!

Out of the imp and immediately on my skin this was a thick syrupy air freshener-type pine. Then the orange kicked in and it was pleasant for 1 minute.

Then the eucalyptus snuck up behind the orange, beat it to death, and the pine and eucalyptus' unholy coupling produced a horror never before seen in my bathroom. I scrubbed my skin and anointed it with Zombi but not even the undead could slay the Jabberwock.

I'm afraid pine must be added to the list of notes my skin chemistry hates. Stupid picky chemistry; I wanted to love this so badly. :P

Edited by 13bodies

a review of Jabberwocky

Vial ~ lots of pine and eucalyptus, perfect for clearing up your sinuses.

Wet ~ The Eucalyptus is the strongest note, with the pine adding strength

to it's scent

Drying ~ The orange is starting to peak out, the scent is still strong,

but maybe not quite the sinus clearer it was earlier.

Dry ~ The orange is coming out stronger, now it is a blend of eucalyptus,

orange and pine. The scent is quite interesting to say the least

Fade ~ It lasted about a half hour on me, with faint traces of the orange.

Final thoughts ~ I am on the fence about this scent. On the plus side, it is

a unique scent, but on the down side, it does not last that long on me and

I am not so sure if I want a scent that is so strong with eucalyptus. On a

scale of 1 to 5, I am giving it a 3.

Jabberwocky is a lovely green-colored oil in the imp.

Wet, I get only eucalyptus, and it smells like Vicks Vapo-Rub. That gives way pretty quickly to a light orange scent, which gives way further to the lightest pine scent. Within an hour, the whole thing is gone.

Not to my taste.

Jabberwocky is unlike anything I've smelled before. It almost smelled like it had vanilla at first, but the pine and orange create this sweetness that might be mistaken for that. Eucalyptis is something I could never wear but Jabberwocky makes it somehow more wearable. Playful, a spring and summertime scent for sure. Light, clean, and unique. Would be a nice scent for a diffuser but I couldn't wear it as a perfume personally.

I got Jabberwocky as an imp, and when I first whiffed it, I hated it. Maybe it was because I wasn't expecting it to be so sharp at first. But then again, was I expecting an oil inspired by a viscious monster to be angel soft with cotton candy and laundry smells? I don't hate it now. I really like how it sweetens after the eucalyptus fades, but I don't think I could take the wait each time through the eucalyptus.

I think it is interesting. And though I probably wouldn't wear it, I'd like to keep it for my collection because I think it just so accurately portrays the character the Jabberwocky, it even matches the perception of the monster I had as a child!

That's what I like most about BPAL. They don't sugarcoat things and try to make things smell generically good. (I was talking to my mother about this earlier) They actually research and reflect on what certain things, creatures, people would smell like, what emotions that were evoked related to the named subject they would be able to capture in scent.

BPAL isn't just about making things that just smell good, but also capturing images, emotions, literature etc in scent. I think that is why I am so obsessed with BPAL.

Well anyway, Jabberwocky to me smells like dread, fear, like visciousness. But after the sharpness fades a bit, it is gentler, which reminds me that even the most terrible of beasts have some sort of weakness, and are living beings.

Did anyone else think there was rosemary in the scent at first? I mean I know its obviously eucalyptus/pine/orange, but when I first smelled it the first thing that came into my mind was rosemary.

:P

Edited by ancilla

This is such a fun scent. Even though I'm not big into the herbal, green scents, I knew this would be something special. And, yup, like everyone else, eucalyptus, pine, orange. Like Seraglio wandering through a forest, maybe! :P

Funny thing happened, it started to smell a little like chlorine on me, but it wasn't bad. Smelled like clean laundry or maybe a pine hotel with a swimming pool somewhere in it.

And then *poof* it was gone! Can't smell anything but my arm where it once was. I think this would be a great wake up scent (or even an interesting sleep scent, imagine the dreams you'd have!) because you could put it on when you woke up and by the time you're going to head out to work, it's gone and you can put on something else. Heh. I don't normally hold on to short-lived scents, but this is just so neat and bouncy. I'll think about it.