Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
viciousviolet

Jabberwocky

An earthy yet buoyant scent: pine, eucalyptus and orange.

Wet: I never would have tried this if I hadn't been frimped it, but it's lovely. it's like Pine-Sol and Vick's vaporub had a baby. i know that sounds awful, but something about it is so comforting and uplifting.

Drying: There is much more pine, and the medicinal quality of the eucalyptus is way toned down. there's a hint of something like orange bitters showing up now too.

Dry: Christmas trees. The artificial nature of this is gone and it smells like a pine tree by orange potpourri. Yum and totally unexpected.

At first I smelled juniper, but looking at the notes I see it's pine. This dries to a soapy eucalyptus, which doesn't sound great but I actually really enjoy. I don't like this as a perfume, but I'd love it as a soap! I never get any orange, which is unfortunate.

this was a frimp which I was quite grateful for, as I never would have tried this otherwise. Even if end up hating things, always love having tried them!!

Wet: Holy Vicks, Batman. Like, straight-up Vicks Vap-O Rub. Whooo!!! Clears the sinuses!

Dry: Omg, as it's drying it smells like this product we used to pour down the outhouse at the cottage to help the raw sewage break down.... :rofl:

Once fully dry it's a bit more mellow and smells less medicinal. The orange comes out, the pine dies right down, and the eucalyptus mellows. Not something I would ever wear. but an interesting scent experience! Lol. Sure woke me up, anyway....

Jabberwocky imp

Wet/Bottle - Eucalyptus, pine and orange, just like the notes read. But, I can smell every distinctive one, and that's not usual for me. This could either go very well or very wrong, because pine often takes over everything.

Wet/Skin (5 minutes) - Uhoh, we're approaching Christmas Tree territory.

Dry/Skin (30 minutes) - Yup, my arm is now a Christmas Tree. I can practically see the ornaments.

Apparently I amp pine. That's a new one.

In the imp: PINE! So much pine.

Wet: All of the pine.

Drydown: The orange starts to really amp up, adding some sweetness to the pine/eucalyptus combo (though I think I'd rather a sharper, less sweet citrus note -- on me, the orange is kind of cloyingly sweet). The end result: pine with a weirdly sweet undertone that lasts about four hours. I don't need a bottle of this, but I can see myself reaching for the imp this summer.

Pine and eucalyptus in the bottle. Goes on as eucalyptus and dries to pine, but the whole thing vanishes in a few minutes, to my surprise. No orange at all.

I've found I really like pine smells, so I was looking forward to this. In the imp and for the first five minutes or so on my skin, the pine is the strongest note, which makes me happy. But after those first couple minutes, it turned into a medicinal-orange smell and stayed there. Not appealing at all, and actually a bit stomach-turning. Not for me.

Jabber is a menthol burst on me at first. I like these notes, usually, but this is one for the vaporizer.

Pine strengthens on me once the exploded menthol starts to settle. Then I enjoy this: it's a softer camphoraceous eucalyptus-pine colored playfully orange.

The pine scents just don't work as wearable scents for me unless they are really subtle. This is not that, but it's still a beautiful scent - great for an oil diffuser.

I wish I liked this better, because Jabberwocky is one of my favorite poems. Sadly, this is way too pine-heavy for me. There's definitely some eucalyptus in here, making it cool and a bit sweet, and the orange oddly enough comes in later rather than being a top note like usual. It's definitely more an orange peel than the flesh of the fruit. I'm getting a strong scent memory from this of a potpourri my parents used to put out around Christmas, which was basically all pine and oranges with some cinnamon. Cinnamon might actually improve this for me, or something else to balance out all that pine.

Wet: WHOA. Eucalyptus. Very strong eucalyptus. I think this just cleared my sinuses.

Dry: A faint citrus-eucalyptus. The pine isn't detectable(thankfully), but eucalyptus isn't a scent I'm fond of.

Edited by donkehpoo

Lots of eucalyptus and orange right out of the gate on this one. I was hoping for more pine and for a general forest scent. This didn't do it for me, sadly. Eucalyptus just reigned supreme and orange backed it up until it almost completely faded away a half-hour later. I had such high hopes for this one, too.

When I first tried this back in 2013, I thought the scent was reminiscent of a pine-y Vick's Vapor Rub, something that would be good to wear to clear the sinuses while sick. But I guess I never actually properly reviewed it, and I only have a tiny amount left in my imp, so I suppose I should review it while it's not difficult to find. (I wonder if it will be discontinued since the Mad Tea Party has taken a lot of hits, and this has been out of stock for a while.)

In the imp: Mostly pine and eucalyptus, with some orange in the background.

Wet: I'm actually getting more of the orange on my skin. It's pine and orange, backed by eucalyptus. But the eucalyptus note seems to be going stronger as the scent begins its drydown.

Dry: The eucalyptus note actually never managed to overtake the orange! In fact, the orange managed to reassert itself and is now stronger than before, so that pine and orange continue to reign, with the eucalyptus in the background.

After a while, the eucalyptus fades, leaving behind a very faint pine and orange scent.

Verdict: I like Jabberwocky, but I know it's not the type of scent I would reach for much. I'd still like to have more than the little testable amount that I do, though, so I'll have to track down another imp of this one.

In the imp: Pine first with eucalyptus taking a moment to make itself known. However, once it does, eucalyptus is the stronger note. 

On my skin:

Wet, it's eucalyptus with a slight undercurrent of pine, smelling, at this stage, more like Vicks Vaporub than anything. During the initial drydown, I can detect peeks of orange and pine, but Jabberwocky really remains all about the eucalyptus. After about a half an hour, the eucalyptus fades, and the pine takes its place as the most prominent scent; at this point, I cannot detect the orange. 

And pine with a hint of eucalyptus is where it stays on me. It reminds me of being deep in a forest; the touch of eucalyptus adds a bit of an ethereal vibe -- as if I know the forest is deep and dark and not quite natural. 

That said, it's not the kind of scent that I want as a perfume for me. 

woooah medicine. Very pine, with eucalyptus with a hint of orange. This ends in a pine orange scent. Much less eucalyptus and more woody orange. Not for me but I wanted to try it!

Strong throw, medium wear.

I don't pick up on any orange, this is all eucalyptus and pine. It's very simple, bracing and clean - it'll definitely clear your sinuses! It smells like a muscle rub to be honest. If you're looking for medicinal and clean (bordering on sterile), Jabberwocky is for you. 4/10 - dares to be different

I'm hoping my imp was just mislabeled because it smells gross. No orange, so this leaves me to believe it could also be very old if it's not a mislabel. It's kind of medical like some reviews mention, but on me it leaned more towards like a metallic greasy burnt scent? 

Very strange because I've tried all three of these notes in other blends and while I'm not crazy about pine, they don't smell anything like this does. I wanted to like this because of the eucalyptus and orange, but this was a let down. If I get frimped this again, I'll retest.