Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Melantha

The Jersey Devil

The scent of the wild, hauntingly beautiful Pine Barrens of New Jersey! Pitch pine with blackberry leaf, cranberry, cedar wood and tomato leaf.

Oh hell. This stuff is intoxicating. It's a heady and sexy and deep, with gorgeous grounding notes. It's a lovely pine too, the blend has enough interest from all the other notes to save this from that stark pine o clean smell some pine blends have. The berry rounds this, makes it smooth like a fortified wine (not that it smells like that, but it just has the feel of that thick, viscous richness). There's a slight, ever so slight, bitterness here, way way at the back.

Pine and leaf juice with a faint sweetness of cranberry and the dust of cedar. I get just a bit of the fuzzy-leafed bitterness of tomato leaf. Fantastic nature scent. Great throw - smells like a summer afternoon. Very complex and beautiful :D

In the imp: Lovely and outdoorsy. Pine and tangy-sweet cranberry are most apparent, but I also get some cedar and a suggestion of green, growing things. It's not quite as green as I expected, but it is woody and wild. Also, the pine note is just dead on—I've never been to Jersey, but I grew up with a backyard filled with white pines, and this is exactly how they smell: green, slightly sweet-sharp, a hint of sap.

On, wet: The fresh cedar and green, leafy aromas bloom in a big way as soon as this hits my skin—now it really smells like a forest filled with evergreens, not unlike the first stage of Tristran. I got a few pungent sniffs of the note I dreaded, the tomato leaf, but it actually works very well with the other components, and it already seems to have retreated to a supporting role. The cranberry isn't on top anymore, but I get that crisp, tart fruit every now and then.

On, dry: This scent is constantly changing on me—not in a huge way, but there are all these subtle little shifts so that it's a bit different each time I sniff. Anyway, after its initial big whoosh, the cedar died down and is now a base for the other scents. There's more fresh pine with the rich cranberry beneath it, but the sharper green leaves keep the cranberry from taking over.

Later: This becomes more cranberry over time, but it doesn't crowd out the other elements. It's just a ripe, wonderful berry note, smooth and not too sweet. Combined with the pine and the green leaves, it does make me think of Christmas.

Overall: This is possibly the scent I least wanted to try out of the GC, and yet I loved it. Besides capturing the perfect natural pine aroma, I think the thing that won me over was the cranberry note. It gives this blend a sweet roundness, a little mellowness that distinguishes this from the other fresh, woodsy blends that I've tried so far. I loved those other blends (especially Tristran), but Jersey Devil is the one that I can actually see myself wearing regularly—that berry makes this more feminine, while still being very much a "great outdoors" scent. I also suspect it would make a great room scent, especially in the colder months.

In the bottle – Sweet cranberries and that distinctive tomato leaf smell

Wet on me – The sweet cranberries with an almost liquorice after scent

Dry on me – The sweet berries remain the dominant scent finally being followed by the wood of the cedar

Overall – I like this more than I expected, but I doubt that it’ll be a favourite

Being a Southern Jersey Girl myself, I had to try this! (I even dated a piney once, our version of rednecks)

Ahem. It starts out a rich green. You can get all the pine and spicy tomato leaf. There's the berry to make it just a tad juicy. And the wood is there to ground it out. A gorgeous blend. This makes you think of summer in the woods, plain and simple.

After a few hours, the cedar really comes out and lays everything to dirt. But before that, it is beautiful.

Initially on, the Jersey Devil was all about pine and green leaves, mixed with a little bit of cedar. It is a lovely, sweet but fresh mix of outdoorsy scents.

As it dries down, it is evergreen, woodsy, and still sweet, green, and very tangy. I love it--it's quite foresty in nature.

Over time, it continues to be foresty, and it eventually fades into a faint foresty evergreen scent. Very much a scent of the outdoors and the woods, delightful and fresh.

Recaplet: Evergreens and green leaves, sweet, fresh, and foresty.

My rating: 5 of 5 (I LOVE IT!!!)

Color impression: Deep dark green.

all pine on me for the first hour, maybe little cedar. second hour it's sour pine, and then it's gone. :(

this is not for me, but for pine lovers it's a must have!

OMG! this is just FAN-TAB-ULOUS!!!!! it is almost exactly like the discontinued yankee candle called "christmas berries"

this is the right combo of pine & berries and it dosent go all wonky 15mins after u put it on. Sillage is nice/not too overpowering.

this is a DEFINATE keeper in my book ....bravo!! :joy: :wub2:

Imp: Wood polish

Wet: Pine, candy. There is a sweet pink berry scent in there. Mmmmm.... :yum:

Drydown: This is a sweet pine. I'm starting to get a green, "leafy" note. Must be the tomato leaf. It's a very pleasant note. The pine note is really amping to the point of obliterating all the other lovely notes.

Overall: This mellows after about 45 minutes. It has a lot of throw and demands to be smelled. It took about 3 hours to begin to fade on my skin. I like it well enough, but I already have enough pine scents that I like, so I probably won't be reaching for this much. :mellow: This is a cold/cooler weather scent.

This wasn't a scent that i ever thought to try until I received it as a frimp. I expected this to be a more wood intense scent considering the notes.

In the imp: There's a sharp woodiness with a sweet background.

On wet: This morphs, the woodiness is still there but is balanced with a slight fruity note.

Dry: The cranberry begins to make more of an appearance and the wood, while still there, isn't as noticeable.

This smells really nice on me. I'm pleasantly surprised. :)

i cant really smell the cranberry in there, i smell tons of pine and an herby sort of smell from the leaves.

as it dried - it developed into something a little sweeter but with with a pungent pine.

overall - not for me

Sniffing the imp, I'm initially smelling mostly pine and cedar.

Wet on my skin, pine, cedar, & cranberry. This is a spicy woodsy scent with just enough fruit in it to keep it from becoming too masculine.

On dry down, this does turn a bit into air freshener on my skin. I can't really smell the blackberry leaf, but cedar and pine remain the dominant notes on my skin.

This scent really surprised me - much bolder, and fresher than I expected.

In the vial: Pine pitch on a warm day; much more resinous than the brighter pine smells I'm used to.

Wet: warm pine pitch, with an undercurrent of fresh sweetness. There's a green edge around the sides, but the tomato leaf doesn't assert itself full force.

Dry: picking blackberries in the forest in the summer. The heady sweetness fades a bit, and softens the pine into one summery scent.

This reminds me so strongly of the summers I spent in the woods by my house, picking blackberries and huckleberries, chewing on pitch, and making forts under the branches of tall trees. Definitely a full forest scent, rather than just one tree.

I love earthy smells so had to have this....

In the bottle: Almost like cough syrup, strong and tangy...

Wet: Oooo strong, nice piney.

Drydown: Cranberries!!! and Pine!!! what a nice combo! I cant pick up any of the other scents, but I like the combo I can smell.

Glad I got a bottle :D

Jersey represent

Imp: CranPineMato!

Wet: Very pine, but with the tartness of cranberries. I actually kinda like it! It's not Pine-Sol pine. Much more pleasant

Dry: The pine takes awhile to back down, but when it does, it blends beautifully with the cranberries and blackberry leaf. It's really tart and pretty.

Overall: I wanted to try this scent because it just seemed like such a clever idea. Love the Jersey Devil story and the hockey team (currently exiled to Flyers territory :( ) so I wanted to try it out regardless of how unlikely I was to be a fan. Total surprise! Not sure I need a full bottle, but I'll hang on to the imp to see how it goes

There's a strong whiff of pine, and then it quickly becomes tempered by the smell of cranberries, which helps make it sweet and tart as well as robust. Not me, but it was a fun experience nonetheless.

Imp: Pine pitch! Pine pitch! OH MAN!!!! I LOVE PINE PITCH!

Wet: A little less pine pitch a little more cranberry. Still delightfully piney.

Dry: Uh... weird. This turns itself into a lovely blend of pine pitch and cotton candy. I think it's the blackberry/cranberry combo causing this. I'm not sure if I like this. On the one hand it's super interesting and pine is something that I have slowly learned is an amazing note on my skin. On the other hand, has anyone in the world ever said, "Man, you know what smells amazing? Pine trees and cotton candy... TOGETHER!!!"? I think more testing is in order.

Throw: Moderate.

Overall: Will have to use up the imp for scientific cryptoscentology purposes. I think I like it. On the other hand I just think it's super weird. But I am super weird so maybe it's just a sign that I should quit my life and become a cryptozoologist? Dunno. Just know that one imp may not be enough. This may be the sort of scent I wind up wearing just so I can smell how weird it is.

I live in NJ. I had to order a bottle regardless of what it smelled like. :whisper:..... I think I've seen the Jersey Devil too!!!

I'm not a fan of pine. In fact, I kind of hate pine BUT this works on me luckily. I think because of the cranberry. Cranberry & pine blended together nicely.

Good combo.

Edited by boxinghelena

This one came as a frimp with my "boy scents" order.

In the bottle: Sugar and pine.

Wet: Mostly the same as in the bottle - very sweet pine.

Wet, 1 minute later: Pine and wildflowers. I don't normally like floral blends, but the woodsiness and sharpness of the pine lends the flowers a little gravitas. Really, really nice.

Wet, 2 minutes later: Soft and floral, but not overly girly. This is a really rich smell, with lots of complexity but no one note that gets overly assertive on my skin.

Dry: Ooh... the cranberry is starting to come out and lend a little autumnal spiciness to the mix. I smell like a really expensive scented candle! :-P This is a great scent to welcome in the changing of the colors in October/November. I definitely want a 5 mL.

This one pretty much stays the same from top to bottom...sweet pine....sweet pine...sweet pine :)

This one doesn't smell like cleaning fluid at all, the blackberry and other notes keep it from going "Pine Sol" on me.

The Jersey Devil is really pretty and not frightning in the least :)

The tomato leaf. It kills me. :ack:

I hate tomatoes. So yeah, this just ruins it for me. Otherwise, I'd love a pine and cedar blend.

This turns out not bad. I got a lot of berries scent and it dries down to a bit of vanilla. Not a must have but a keeper.

Being from New Jersey and liking pine & cranberry, this one was a must-try for me.

In the imp, I smelled pine & cedar, with a little berry behind it. It was nice!

Wet, the cranberry/blackberry jumps out at me, then the cedar. On dry down, the cranberry is at the forefront, with cedar and pine behind it. Even at its pine-iest, its not a pinesol smell.

This is really nice, and fairly evocative of the pine barrens. Something is "off" for me with the cedar note, as it is really dry, and I wanted it to smell like the red-stained water of lakes & streams in the area. I guess this is the pine barrens in a drought. :)

I like it, its really interesting. I know a lot of people smell pine as a masculine note, but this is way too sweet berry on me to smell masculine.

Edited by biocarolyn

This is very nicely blended . All the notes are there , but no one really dominates the others on me . It's a bit sweet / berry-ish , but not in a bad way at all . Definitely very green scent . I like it quite a bit , not sure if it's enough to make me order a bottle though .