Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
absinthetics

Lyonesse

Golden vanilla and gilded musk, stargazer lily, white sandalwood, grey amber, elemi, orris root, ambergris and sea moss.

A fragrance that stargazer lily doesn't outright ruin for me? Wow.

This is so pretty! A warm, pale golden scent with sweet vanilla. Kind of what I hoped Three Brides would be (which turned too floral on me). The stargazer lily does emerge on the drydown, but it doesn't conquer the whole scent or turn cloying.

To me, this is a cross between Jacob's Ladder and Ava Luxe's Love's True Bluish Light (a white musk, vanilla, amber, and milk scent). I would buy a bottle of this if I didn't already have bottles of those two. However, I'll definitely get this when I run out of JL. Edited by nineveh

A soft, vanilla/golden scent with just a twinge of something woody that comes out more strongly as it dries. Lovely.

In the imp: mmm, vanilla.

Wet on skin: Even split between the orris and the vanilla. Gorgeous.

Dry on skin: Sexy deep vanilla creme with orris and lily. Even better than the wet stage, and that's saying a lot.

Overall: 12/10. This is the vanilla I've been looking for. Sweet without going totally foody. Sexy without being slutty. The sandalwood and amber ground the vanilla and florals so that it's not too overwhelming. I can't stop sniffing my wrists. I've got to get big bottles of this one. I think I've finally found my signature scent, the one I wear all the time. :P

at first: a sweet, musky floral. i think i get some sandalwood, too. very nice.

on: something is a bit sharp in this, but behind that there is a nice, sweet, musk, sandalwood blend.

1 hour later: very, very soapy and sharp.

5 hours later: very faint. i can't really pick any notes out. it's a bit sweet.

overall: i'm not sure what happened, but something went wrong on me.

A fragrance that stargazer lily doesn't outright ruin for me? Wow.

This is so pretty! A warm, pale golden scent with sweet vanilla. Kind of what I hoped Three Brides would be (which turned too floral on me). The stargazer lily does emerge on the drydown, but it doesn't conquer the whole scent or turn cloying.

To me, this is a cross between Jacob's Ladder and Ava Luxe's Love's True Bluish Light (a white musk, vanilla, amber, and milk scent). I would buy a bottle of this if I didn't already have bottles of those two. However, I'll definitely get this when I run out of JL.

I feel like i'm cheating here on my review, but I do want to agree with what Nineveh said--this is golden floral with vanilla. And I completely agree that is is like a combo of Jacob's Ladder and Love's True Bluish Light....preferable to me than the latter, because that turned wierd on me--the skin musk went funky, and this doesn't.

For me it is mostly vanilla and lily and musk. Nice, but I don't need a bottle.

In the imp and wet on my skin, this was a dead ringer for BBB's Warm Vanilla Sugar. But once it warmed up, the amber deepened the scent, bringing it out of the realm of the super-sweet into a darker, more complex scent. It's a little masculine, but still feminine enough for me to wear. I think it'd make a great daily scent. :P

This is a sweet mix of vanilla and light floral; the grounding notes never really become apparent, but they do provide a lasting base for the upper notes. For a while it balanced precariously on the edge of becoming "old lady perfume", but never quite did. My skin doesn't amp the vanilla as much as usual in this -- it stays pretty balanced. Staying power is good; at 9 hours I could still catch it, at 11 it was pretty much gone.

Bottom line: It's not going to be a top favorite, but still a keeper. It'll be nice for occasions when I want a more traditional, floral kind of scent that I can still stand.

A sweet vanilla musk blend with a soft layer of sandalwood. I can appreciate that it is well done, but oh no I am never going to be able to wear this. It is too similar to the cologne that the janitor in my office building wears douses himself with.

Oh janitor, you have ruined Lyonesse for me! Wah.

*edited for html

Edited by maribouquet

On first sniff, this is so golden I'm tempted to claim honey. After a moment, however, I can pin down the amber and vanilla, warm and sweet and surrounding. There's a hint of musk as well, and an lapping of the ocean.

As it dries, somehow the sea note gets stronger on me, a green hint of ozone washing over the sweetness. This remains a golden scent, however, sensual and quite feminine. There's a bit of a "perfume" aspect to it, but it's still gorgeous.

This is a warm golden scent as many have said before, with a faint ozoney aquatic hint to it. The vanilla and musk dominate here but not in the same way that other blends may propose, other that it helps to smooth out the other notes. It has an etheral quality that matches the legend attached to it! Bravo Labbies.

This is beautiful! Vanilla is what hits me first, with the sandalwood and amber immediately underneath it. It's fairly musky, but not overwhelmingly so. The florals are barely there. Love this one!

This is such a beautiful fragrance. The vanilla, amber, light musk, and floral are perfectly blended and balanced so that no one note stands out above the rest. It's just a gorgeous creamy, golden scent; slightly aquatic but not briny. Wonderfully feminine and perfect for any occasion.

I adore this scent. I don't get vanilla from this at all, which I was initially disappointed at, but then I realized, who the hell needs boring old vanilla anyway?? This is much better.

I agree with all of the reviewers who described it at being impeccably blended. I get tangy, slightly salty sea air, lush, ripe fruits bursting with juice, a *hint* of coconut, and an exquisite musk-and-amber base. This makes me want to sit by the beach and sip watermelon juice, even though there's zero watermelon here. Huh.

I just wish it lasted longer!

4 - 4.5/5

Golden vanilla and gilded musk, stargazer lily, white sandalwood, grey amber, elemi, orris root, ambergris and sea moss.

In the Imp: I get the lily and the musk and the orris but that's about it.

On Wet: The vanilla comes out to play with the sandalwood and the amber but I have to put my wrist directly under my nose in order to smell it. This stage lasts all of 60 seconds before...

It vanishes. Completely.

I've never had a BPAL oil do a vanishing act on me so quickly and suddenly.

Wet, this is a gorgeous vanilla, softly floral and very rounded without somehow being overtly foody.

Dry, the evil moss notes come out and this becomes powdery, acrid, department store perfume.

I'm a PISCES, dammit. Moss should goddamn LOVE ME.

*pouts*

Soooo good. I get warm vanilla, sandalwood, musk and a hint of sea moss, and could that be...ambergris? A perfect blend! I hate vanilla when it is too strong and domineering in a scent, but this is a light soft vanilla. Very slightly foody, but even non-food lovers will love this one. This is going on my big bottle purchase list. This is great for any ocassion. Mmmmm :P

In the bottle: Sandalwood, vanilla and amber, very slightly oceanic from ambergris.

Wet: A blend of sandalwood, vanilla and something fresh and sea-like, possibly the sea moss

Drydown: Very woody with sandalwood, the dominant note, with vanilla over it. It has a bit of a dusty feel to it, possibly from the musk. The vanilla gets stronger and creamier. There's a very sharp sour note, I think from the sandalwood, which takes a long while to die down. The lily doesn't turn up, which is unusual as my skin normally amps it.

Overall: It's strongly sandalwoody, and which is only nice once the very sharp note has died down. After that, it's creamy sandalwood-vanilla, clearly, and reminds me... of clean elegance. It has a certain sleek smoothness to it that makes it pretty. It's probably one of the most regal woods I've worn. Something about this reminds me of Monsterbait: Underpants, without the saffron.

This is a perfect combo of golden, sweet and fresh notes! It reminds me of some commercial perfume, much better though. Very beautiful and sophisticated, which also means it isn't really ”me”. But it's such a gorgeous blend that I'll keep the imp anyway.

I'm a sucker for vanilla scents, I'll admit but there is always that line drawn for me between just right and too sweet. This starts out just a bit too sweet on me but then the lily (and possibly the moss, orris and ambergis) starts to emerge it becomes a really beautiful balance of soft green and creamy vanilla. I didn't get the sandalwood or the musk at all but I think it was what was holding this blend just on the brink of being too sweet.

I'm not sure if this is one I'll want more of but I'm keeping it for now for further tests because it's just so darn lovely.

This is a very nice, honey, creamy, warm scent. On me it is a bit sweet but not overpowering. It quickly looses the throw, but the scent stays for a long time. It feels as though it is a very good "skin" scent. That kind of clean warm scent that clings to your body after a shower. I put it on before bed, and can still smell it, up close, the next morning. Yummmm.

So beautiful.

In the bottle I got lily. Wet, the sandalwood peered out, but rapidly smoothed down, nuzzling in with the vanilla and other notes to present a stunning, soft, glowing, sweet scent, held back from being cloying by the slightly smoky resins. I just love it.

I got this for a friend, and it's lovely.

Somehow at the same time it's very warm amber, and a lovely aquatic that makes it a little like traditional perfume, but in a very good way. It's warm and clean ^.^

It is hard for me to pick out the separate notes, I get the vanilla but everything else is too blended. It is a quiet scent it is very mellow. It doesn’t have any through at all, I have to stick my noise right up to it to smell it at all. I like it but I think I can live with out a big bottle of it.

the vanilla, musk, and powdery amber are a lovely trio. combined with the lily, they create a very soft, creamy floral. there’s a hint of dry orris as well. it’s a light, feminine scent. as soon as i apply it, it seems on the verge of fading away. i'd say it's a more delicate version of jacob’s ladder, because of the amber. the only problem is that it’s not very strong. i’d like it to have more throw.