Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
GypsyRoseRed

Uruk

A city of mystery, wonder and majesty, said to have been built by order of Gilgamesh. Thick bitter almond and heady night-blooming jasmine with saffron, cinnamon leaf, red patchouli, river lilies, bergamot, fig leaf and the sacred incense of Inanna.

At first this starts off beautifully. The almond, jasmine, lily and fig are the predominant notes and go together really well. After about ten minutes something terrible happens and this begins to smell like sour plastic.

I'll pass on this blend.

Score 1-5 (5 being the best)
1.5 Edited by Shollin

In the imp: totally smells like marzipan

On wet: wow ALMOND, sweet almond though not bitter

A minute later: is that jasmine? Why is it so nice? It's all sweet and soft and mellow...yum!

An hour later: I really need to stop huffing because jasmine gives me a headache but yum the figgy incense!

Two hours later: Yep I have a headache but it was worth it.

In the imp: Syrupy almonds. Mmmm

On my skin: One of the reasons why I love almond scents so much is because of the "opening the curtain" effect they have. All you initially smell is the almond and moments later it completley dissapears to reveal all of the other notes. Every single almond scent I have tried is like that, it's always an exciting surprise :D After the almond dissipates in this one, I smell a very well-balanced, balmy perfume...and a very perfumy perfume it is (I think that's attributed to the jasmine). The jasmine in this isn't overwhelming at all and doesn't make me cringe like some jasmine scents tend to. This one is subdued and quietly plays it's part in supporting the other cast members. I really can't pick out one single note in this blend, it reminds me of how all of the Salon scents are, decadent and well-blended. This is rich, velvety and gorgeous.

Dry: In the perfume world I think they would call this one a spicy oriental. It has a soft incense feel about it as well but mostly smells like very expensive perfume you might pick up in Paris.

Overall: This one surprised me...I never know what the "almond curtain" is going to reveal and this time I was pleasantly surprised. I'm not sure if I will purchased a 5ml of this, we'll have to see how it works on my skin when I'm out and about. A very complex scent, great throw and lasting power, worth a try to those of you who have had bad experiences with jasmine! This one is a winner for sure ^_^

Edited by Monster

Wet: This smells like Dr Pepper, no joke.

First on: Mostly Dr Pepper with a background of florals.

Dry: Same on drydown.

In bottle: Almond and fig, mostly, with the other notes swirling around underneath. This is very pleasing indeed, richer than Eden and more foody, but along the same lines. I like the way the spices blend with the almond particularly. Wet: Mmmm… Almond fig goodness. The incense and florals come out more here. The patchouli is understated and working and playing well with others. It’s definitely a floral from about five minutes in one, but a delightful one with shimmering depths and heady heights.Dry: faes very fast to a hint of fig and saffron/cinnimon.

This must be my day for reviewing almond blends. Sniffing the imp, I'm hit with a sour almond note. :rasp:

On my skin, it's almond, cinnamon, and lily. No patchouli scent on my skin with this blend. The cinnamon and almond are pretty much killing every other note on my skin.

In bottle, smells almost of orange flavoring for baking, or something similar.

On skin, a softness, a slight twist with the bergamot, almost a clean soap scent…The plum, something sweet, seems to be hiding in the background. Clean, but rather comforting. As it continues to dry, it remains 'clean', perhaps the lillies are doing this. Seems to be getting less soft and mostly just clean.

IN THE IMP: Sweet and slightly spicy, but in an almost medicinal way.

WET: A bit spicy, it turns almost herbal. I'm surprised the jasmine isn't amping like crazy on my skin.

DRY: Spicy and dry herbs. I keep smelling a wood note, but I don't know what it is.

In the imp: Oh Lordy, how yummy. I do love the smell of almond. I think Uruk smells absolutely delcious and perfect.

On my skin: Totally changes. Usually I'm an almond and jasmine amper, but when lilies and figs are involved, not so much. They just take over. I get a low-key incense, but I do believe fig is the big offender as far as this blend is concerned. Fig is getting to be a enemy note of mine, because it just blows itself out of proportion. Nuts. After a while my old friend patchouli shows up to help kick the fig's ass into line, but it's too late, the original balance of the scent is gone.

Conclusion: I am hanging on to this imp and using it to scent some potporri that I will make from dried flower petals from my garden. That way I will get to enjoy this gorgeous scent the way it should be appreciated. I've never really considered getting a scent locket, but Uruk really make me rethink that decision. My body chemistry can't hold the scent the way that it smells in the bottle, but if I could keep it off of my skin and have that smell around me, I would feel exotic and wonderful.

This is not quite what I expected of Uruk. In the vial it smells of almond and jasmine, which my brain immediately categorizes as "soap'. On my skin I begin to get almond strongly, as I expected I would, but it is indeed a bitter almond- something that I didn't think was possible after the other, almost cloyingly sweet almond notes I've tried. I can't pick out the patchouli, but I do wonder if that's what's bringing the almond down to earth. The soapyness persists. I'm not sure what the sacred incense of Inanna is, but if it's sandalwood that would further explain it, because sandalwood often acts like this on me when paired with anything remotely floral. It settles a bit as it starts to dry- no wait, I spoke too soon. Half an hour in it's regressed to soapy incense and jasmine, with only a little of the complexity it started out with, and it seems to be stubbornly staying there. Too bad, there are a lot of notes I like in Uruk and yet the ones being amped the hardest are my least favorite. I'll leave it on for a few hours to see if anything changes, but my hopes aren't high.

Uruk is a scent whose individual notes are quite distinct but never clash. They parade past one at a time, really letting you get a good sniff. In the imp, I smell a strong almost boozy almond. It smells the same as the one in Bastet, which disappears instantaneously upon contact with my skin and also did so in this blend. It's too bad, since I love almond so much, but I like Monster's "opening the curtain" idea. Yes, it does that. Next comes out the jasmine- I don't have problems with jasmine other than not being a floral-lover, but here it's creamy and white and lush and unmistakable. The Bastet comparison comes to mind again, maybe from the saffron combining with the florals. I guess it's apt- they're both desert scents. Then there is a spicy sweetness, which I think is from the cinnamon leaf. I haven't smelled cinnamon leaf before, but I like it. I still have a horror of cinnamon from Three Witches and The Lion, even though it's an integral part of Gingerbread Poppet, which I love. This cinnamon note is more subtle, and the sweetness is wonderful. The incense may be adding some sweetness also, since many of the Lab's GC incenses smell sweet to me, even if they are described as dark or intense, as opposed to the LE incenses that really are dark.) Then there is a brief flash of a different, fresh floral- the river lilies- followed by the red sandalwood. Sandalwood is often very dry, and here it desiccates the scent, reinforcing the desert scent. Uruk has no throw at all and a wear length on the shorter side- about three hours before even smashing my nose flat into my skin yields nothing. I do like the note parade though; it makes this scent interesting.

This is simply a delicious creamy sweet almond--delicious! :yum: I'm not really getting any other notes, just the almond, and anything else just blends seamelessly into it. The fig probably adds to the richness. I'm very, very pleasantly surprised that the jasmine in the background didn't come out like cat pee on me (as it usually does when it's a dominant note) and ruin the whole thing.

Edited by Invidiana

Frimp in my will call bag.

What an interesting scent . . . and boy, is it a morpher! In the the vial, I smell a wonderful, sweet almond. If I inhale deeply, I also get a touch of spices and a slightly soapy note but it isn't too strong. Wet, this becomes a very masculine cologne, with spices and bergamot starting to peep through. It's nice but it has that hard to describe, high end masculine perfume scent. It remains the same through the drydown, although I *think* I can pick out some of the floral notes. I'm not sure, as they seem to be in there but cannot break through the spices and sandalwood. Once dry, I'm left with something that smells like sandalwood incense with a touch of bergamot and a slight floral note.

As I said before, this is a very interesting scent but I don't think it's for me. I love the almond in that first stage, so I'm going to test out how long it sticks around on a piece of cloth. If it lasts, this is going to become a scent locket candidate, but I otherwise do not foresee a bottle in my future.

In the Imp: red patchouli and incense or maybe the cinnamon leaf? This smells fantastic in the imp.

Wet on Skin: almond, fig

While Drying: reminds me a bit of Hunger, but with a touch of florals, especially in elbows

After a Little While: Where did the incense and patchouli go? At least the almond is behaving - no plastic. Bergamot is coming through, but I had to do a sniff comparison with a straight bergamot EO to be sure - it blends in. Starting to pick up a bit of cinnamon again close to the skin. Morphtacular! Getting hints of other notes, but they come and go so quickly.

Later: slightly soapy in elbows, almost gone on wrists. Kinda like a fireworks finale - lots of pomp, then *poof* it is gone - only a very faint, but pleasant, lingering scent remains.

Final Thoughts: This was a fun scent experience, and one I might want to play around with again in the future. I love the smell in the imp. I think I'll have to pick up an imp of my own, but no need for a bottle.

Uruk earns a 3.5/5 on my skin.

ETA: Tried this one again today (Sept 2)... Wet, it was all almond. Very quick fade. Dry, there is a lingering, very faint, spiciness, and a lot of sour lily. Bleh. I preferred this scent when it was lab-fresh.

Edited by Rocza

Imp: a deadly cross between almonds and anise: bitter almond, powerfully centre stage.

Wet on Skin: a slight whiff of citrus touch: the austere bergamot stands right behind bitter almond as a supporting role.

Drydown: Jasmine kicks out both bitter almond and bergamot, but leaves room for the other spices and incenses to take part. A complex drydown, warm like Morocco without the vanilla, gently floral, almost resinous with spices. A morpher, seriously.

Sweet, tart almond. Unfortunately it's very weak on me and my nose has to be in contact with my skin to smell it. It also fades completely after about three minutes.

In imp: strange... blonde leather and apricots?

Wet: turns into almond paradise on me. Sweet tropical flowers with slight night blooming jasmine tinge, fig, and almonds with a dirty tobacco underscore.

Drydown: lightens significantly. bergamont becomes dominant. I equate this to the complexity and tone of kubla khan. Nice but I wish it had more staying power.

In the Bottle: Almond with a bit of patchouli

Wet: Almond, patchouli, jasmine and a bit of bitterness. I'm not sure if it is the lilies or the incense.

Dry: Incense, patchouli, lilies, and just a hint of cinnamon and jasmine. I'm surprised I'm not getting the almond since it was so strong earlier.

After 11 hours, I'm smelling faint almond, but that is about it.

Overall Verdict: A nice complex scent that changes with time. I like it!

In the imp, I'm getting the almond, and what might be the jasmine and saffron. On my skin, it's almond and jasmine for sure. We'll see what it decides to do. Gone in less than ten minutes.

Edited by Venneh

It reminds me of an used bookstore. I get a suede leather and incense of out this. The almond note is bitter for all of a second, then joins the book staff. I think it is the jasmine BPAL note that mixes with certain notes in blends (mainly tea, but this doesn't have tea) that creates the yummy bookstore scent. It is almost stale yet lovely. Hard to explain.

I'm not sure what to compare it to. Bastet to me was way too almond and buttery for my skin and Uruk isn't like that at all. The flowers are almost bookish in a way and aren't overpowering this perfume. Rakshasa could be a relative of this blend since it has the same vibe. Uruk's regal and reminds me of a temple as well as a bookstore. Inanna's Own Bookstore and Temple. :)

I'd probably buy a bottle of this once my imp burns out. It reminds me of ancient scroll, worn leather and belly dancers. I could see a belly dancer wearing this blend. It's exotic and sensual. And it does morph from bookstore scent, to temple scent, to flower garden. It's fun that way.

Edited by Madame Nyx

this is my first review, because I'm really terrible with describing notes.

But this one is easy, it starts very sweet, almondy and as soon as it dries, it is Snow White on my skin. I don't know what's wrong with me, but seriously, this is 100% Snow White! :eek:

imp: very sweet, spicy, creamy almond.

wet: very intense almond, it's drowns everything else out. not that it's bad, for once i'm actually digging an almond scent!

dry: as this dries the other notes come out, making this a wonderful blend. the patchouli and jasmine are not strong but balance this whole scent well. i'm actually hard=pressed to pick out specific notes once this dries! very well done!

A complimentary imp from the generous Lab.

When freshly applied, Uruk is cherryjasmineyuck.

Even as it dries, the almond never quite makes it to almond on me. It goes straight from fake cherry to morphing with other notes into a cloying grapey plum kind of scent, I’m guessing from combining with fig leaf, saffron, and maybe bergamot. The floral was the other prominent component of this blend, and I think the jasmine mostly ate up the river lilies, so it ended up smelling to me like plummy jasmine. There were intimations of patchouli and incense that fuzzed and deepened it up a little, making resiny round plummy jasmine, with a hint of spice. And then, gone.

There was definitely a lot going on with Uruk, but it never hit a real harmony on my skin, maybe because it didn’t stick around much longer than an hour. Not a favorite.

In imp: Almonds!

Wet: Almonds, cherries and...pine sol? Smells like a particularly well-blended cleaning solution.

Dry: More floral now, but the pine sol (incense?) has bloomed back up and overwhelmed that nice almond I liked.

Drydown: Lots of incense, albiet sweeter than I'm used to for incense. More stately temple and less cheap gas station, if that makes sense. :)