Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
atomic*orange

Les Bijoux

My well-beloved was stripped. Knowing my whim,
She wore her tinkling gems, but naught besides:
And showed such pride as, while her luck betides,
A sultan's favored slave may show to him.

When it lets off its lively, crackling sound,
This blazing blend of metal crossed with stone
Gives me an ecstasy I've only known
Where league of sound and lustre can be found.

She let herself be loved: then, drowsy-eyed,
Smiled down from her high couch in languid ease.
My love was deep and gentle as the seas
And rose to her as to a cliff the tide.

My own approval of each dreamy pose,
Like a tamed tiger, cunningly she sighted:
And candour, with lubricity united,
Gave piquancy to every one she chose.

Her limbs and hips, burnished with changing lustres
Before my eyes, clairvoyant and serene,
Swanned themselves, undulating in their sheen;
Her breasts and belly, of my vine the clusters,

Like evil angels rose, my fancy twitting,
To kill the peace which over me she'd thrown,
And to disturb her from the crystal throne
Where, calm and solitary, she was sitting.

So swerved her pelvis that, in one design,
Antiope's white rump it seemed to graft
To a boy's torso, merging fore and aft.
The talc on her brown tan seemed half-divine.

The lamp resigned its dying flame. Within,
The hearth alone lit up the darkened air,
And every time it sighed a crimson flare
It drowned in blood that amber-coloured skin.

Skin musk and honey, blood-red rose, orange blossom, white peach, red apple, frankincense and myrrh.

Tried this one at the Harvest Moon will call.

In bottle: fruity and a little sweet. Mostly peach coming out, and a little bit of the orange blossom that gives a general ambrosial feel. For comparison, this peach is softer than that in Fae.

On skin: Still fruity and sweet, a little "perfumy". The frank/myrrh never comes out and announces itself, but it's there (might be the myrrh registering as the "expensive and sophisticated" note) as a rich base for the fruit to play on. The peachy ambrosia turns into fresh apple and the rose comes to the fore. The rose note is like that in Whip, which is sparkling and slightly citrusy on me. It sort of cuddles up next to the apple, both enveloped by a soft glowing musk. Very apple-y at this stage. The honey is not explicit but adds to the warmth and sweetness. Wouldn't call this an incense scent exactly, nor a honey scent because those elements don't call too much attention to themselves. It's a very nicely blended, apple-musk-rose by lamplight. The scent stays close to the body.

The next morning it smelled mostly of peach and leftover musky glow. Overall nice and cozy, very angora-sweater-on-a-bombshell-ish, but also languorously seductive. Meet your lover at the door by candlelight, clad in aught but your best jewelry and a smile. Bonus points if you have a fireplace and/or furry rug.

I just got an imp of this today. :P I've really been looking forward to this one because of my good luck with the 'Baudelaire scents' in general and because it sounded wonderful.

At first test, the apple and honey are the strongest notes, but after only a few minutes, the apple fades away almost completely, and what's left is a languid, musky honey. This reminds me quite a bit of Honey Moon, but lighter and much sexier.

Dammit, Lab! I was trying to save money! And then you had to come out with this, and it's probably going to be a 5 mL purchase for me, and it'll sit right next to my treasured Living Flame bottle in the "scents for Gallic-style seduction" section of my box. :D

The most beautiful golden apple, just like a juicy bite while picking at the orchard. And it stays quite awhile, too! And then it all goes south. The rose and the honey turn dreadful on my skin and I had to wash it off. :P

I was wary of purchasing this in a big bottle without sniffing it, because it contains my Arch-Nemesis, orange blossom, so I got an imp. So glad that I did!

In the bottle, this is a perfect red delicious apple. Juicy and delightful! If there was a "red apple" single note, I would kill to get my hands on it, because this is what it would smell like.

On the skin, the apple is the prominent note for quite a while. As it begins to dry down, there is a definite similarity between this and the final stage of The Hesperides for me (which makes sense, considering they both have apple, but at this point it's more of a complicated apple; if I were to guess, it would be the frankincense and myrrh kicking in).

Once it dries, Les Bijoux is really a wonderful combination of notes. The apple is still there, but I can only catch the slightest whiff of it. I can definitely smell the peach and the rose as well, and the honey lends a smoothness, but not necessarily a heavy aroma.

With my nose plastered to my wrist, this scent is sweet and smooth (and, most importantly, completely devoid of orange blossom!). However, when I'm not actively sniffing at my skin (which is hard to do, mind you), I do get a sense of musk about this scent.

As time goes on (a couple of hours, I'd say), the musk really kicks in and blends ever so nicely with the honey. I can see why Reedsong would call this a lighter Honey Moon.

This is a very sexy scent, but definitely sophisticated as well. Sultry but not aggressive.

My only complaint is that it doesn't have much throw on me (but then again, what does? ;p), so I guess I'll just have to get a 5mL so I can slather. :P I adore this new blend.

I like the sound of almost everything in this blend -- fruit, roses, resins. I'm imagining it could be a bit too light, sweet and golden for my fickle skin but it still sounds like a classic.

Freshly applied, this is the same kind of very fresh, crunchy, just-bit-into-it apple that I love in Harvest Moon '06. Nothing cidery or pie-like, just very fresh, crisp apple against a glistening golden honey background. I tend to only really go for honey when it's spiked with herbs (as in Honey Moon) or incense (Masque) but I like it here too.

I didn't remember orange blossom as an ingredient but that comes out a little bit later and the whole blend goes a bit orangey on me (orange the color, not orange the fruit) as the peach kicks in for the final act. Not smelling the rose or resins at all...this is all about apple, honey and a hint of orange blossom.

Although I like fruity blends, this isn't dark or strong enough for me to wear much but I really like it and love those opening apple notes. Whatever Beth is using for apple lately is really kicking my ass! This will be hugely popular I think, and deservedly so!

In the vial: Red fruit and strong floral.

On: Strong fruity floral. I am not smelling myrrh at all.

Dry: Strojng fruity floral. This scent does not have the depth or darkness that I thought the myrhh and frankincense would provide. My imp is off to swaps.

Les Bijoux - This opens up as an over-the-top fruit blend. The peach and apple blend to make an almost pear-like scent. It’s fresh, bright, and crisp. The rose is evident upon drydown, but it’s far, far in the background of this blend. This might be the first time a blend with orange blossom in it hasn’t become faintly powdery, too! I can’t smell the myrrh in this at all, and the frankincense is very subtle, and only really reveals itself after the oil has been on my skin for quite some time. I am simply delighted that the honey note doesn’t ruin this blend for me and that the apple doesn’t turn rancid on me, as BPAL apple notes usually do. This is a wonderful fragrance, perfect for sunny summer days. It has really strong throw initially, but that mellows out upon drydown. The staying power is longer than most fruit blends are on my skin.

I think I've fallen.

I totally love this. I don't know how the hell Beth did it but she's made me go gaga over a rose blend.

It starts out as a very ripe apple with a hint of peach to it and quickly morphs into the floral stage. I was scared a little because I loathe rose, except wild growing ones...and it's hard to find a perfume that captures that. Well, Beth took that "hard" and whomped it's ass.

It morphs into this lovely wild rose that is tempered and enhanced by the frankinscense and musk and probably a little by the orange blossom. It's light, airy and reminds me of being out in the backyard of the house that I grew up in as a little girl.

Thank you Beth. Truly. Thank you.

in the imp it smells like bright green, tart, granny smith apples - on my skin it is still very apple-y, but eventually it starts to sweeten more...maybe it's the skin musk and honey i'm detecting, but super-subtle. my nose is searching for the other notes, and it does get the tiniest bit more flowery with time...but the apple and peach are most pronounced here, eventually becoming a fruity-musk. this is a very pretty, lively scent - makes me think of springtime -bright, colorful and sort of youthful in tone. the musk makes it a bit sexy too. somehow, i feel like it might be too cheery for me, but i do like it.

Whoa, sweet! I don't smell any resins, or rose in this one. IT's all Apples and Honey. If you like those two things, you'll love this. Me, I'm not so big on the apples on my skin thing. But pretty, adn I"m glad I tried it!

n.

In the bottle, sweet, juicy peaches and crisp, tart apples. On skin there's that, with a, sweet, musky undertone. I don't actually get frankincense and myrrh but they're there, adding a wonderful richness & depth that keeps this from being too fruity for me. It's almost incense-y/smoky. LOVE it!! Wonderful throw and lasts for hours. Reminds me a bit of Harvest Moon '06. Definitely more of a Fall scent...imo, anyway. Maybe because I associate apples with cooler weather?

My stud muffin says, "Delicious!!" :P

Yep, a keeper.

Les Bijoux is just so pretty. On me, it's a second-skin apple and honey with just the barest breath of rose. The peach, orange blossom, frankincense and myrrh are supporting players.

The apple burns off after a bit and I'm left with a honey-rose. It's golden and just all-around lovely. This is another blend that would be great for work I think, and I'll be taking my imp with me tomorrow.

I'm in love with this blend. In the bottle it's a sweetish honey apple scent. Nothing over-powering, just very nice smelling.

But then when I put it on, it's like a sweeter, sexier version of my natural scent. The honey fades just a little and a very faint rose scent emerges with just a touch of musk to make it warm.

I completely second the Cashmere on a Bombshell analogy. And I must go buy a big bottle of this immediately!

In a word: love :P

What a beautiful perfume oil. This is a Floral Incense blend that has embraced its inner Fruityness. The various fruits chase one another round a few times then settle into a nice balance.

On reading the notes, I'd imagined this would be Autumnal but perhaps its the orange blossom that keeps this from seeming that restricted.

Very comforting scent and maybe just a smidge dreamy- probably wouldn't wear this to a big business meeting or job interview.

Edited by Heavenlyrabbit

This is a beautiful scent.

Wet, it's very sweet and fruity. Totally apples on me and that's fine!

Dry, it gets very soft and creamy. I can smell the honey and frankincense now

with much less fruit, but it's all so soft. Really deightful.

On me, the honey is the last note to go, and that lasts for hours.

Very happy that I got 5ml--this is slather worthy!!

lesbijoux.jpg

Fruity, honied and sweet but with an undercurrent of jasmine....just a drop to make it perfume. Try this one out even if you are not a florals person. I bet you will change your mind. Real well done.

Straight off I thought it smelled like honey and apples. As it dries it becomes a lot more floral than foody, and I can't smell as much honey. It's one of the good florals, though -- not heady or cloying. Just light and pretty. I like this one.

In the vial and wet on my skin this was aaallllllll apple on me. My skin sorta burned a bit while it was on.. so I don't know what that's all about.

On the drydown I smell the orange blossom, which always goes heady floral on me. So we got apple and floral.. with a burning sensation. LOL I think I'll pass along my imp to someone else :P

In the imp- Honeyed peaches

Wet- Crunchy apples with a hint of rose. A faint peach eventually joins the apples, but thank goodness doesn't turn the scent into all peach like Tamora and Fae do to me. As it dries, a bit of honey comes out but not as much as I was hoping for. At one point I can detect the resins in the background.

Dry- Everything melds together and it's hard to pick out individual notes. It's a light floraly, fruity, white musky mix with a touch of honey. Very pretty and warm skin scent. If this had more honey I would be very very happy, but the imp is still a keeper.

Les Bijoux

In the imp: gorgeous honeyed apples and peaches!

Wet on skin: mmm, that's good. Honeyed apples and peaches.

Dry on skin: the honey takes on a slightly sharper scent but it's still lovely. The apple note in here is fantastic-so sweet, so ripe, so crisp. It's not as much a tart apple like the Hesperides, more like a sweet apple like in Desire. The peach note sweetens it even more. I can't smell the orange blossom or resins but I think I can just make out the rose and I think the musk simply binds it all together for now.

After a while: holy crap, not only does this scent chuck out a lot of throw, it's also become even more wonderful. The skin musk has surfaced and softened the fruits even more, taking the rose with it, all of it covered with a sweeter honey topping. This smells delicious!

Over time this scent just gets smoother and more delicious with the skin musk coming out even more. Musk with a hint of rose all over the apple and honey.

I don't smell frankincense but I do think the myrrh is grounding the scent and adding depth and giving this scent a slight resemblance to Sed Non, with the honeyed skin musk. The drydown is honeyed rosy skin musk with a little apple. This is what I was hoping Eve and Jezebel smelt like on me.

Verdict: from start to finish, this blew me away. First it's ripe, sweet crunchy apple and juicy peach drizzled with golden honey, and then a wonderful blush of rosy musk lifts the honeyed apple to new heights. The throw was impressive and the scent was delicious. This beautiful new scent would make a nice threesome with Sed Non and Desire, as this is along similar lines…similar to Sed thanks to it's honeyed skin musk, and Desire thanks to the sweet apple. In fact, this is the light flip-side to Desire and Sed, but it's also so different to these. Another example of one of those ever-so-unique BPAL scents. This is my new favourite of the apple scents, and another one I need a bottle of. Beth has totally outdone herself for the August update.

Emoticon rating: :P

If you like this, try: Desire, Sed Non Satiata, Eve, Jezebel, Verdandi

Edited by yeahbutnobut

In the bottle this smells like apple blossoms, sweet yellow apples, and honey. It's definitely heavy on the apple, but it reminds me more of the delicate, muted yellow apples than the sour green or crisp red ones.

On me... wow. I never thought that apples could smell this beautiful. Les Bijoux smells like love to me. Like really making love with someone who means the world and more to you.

Given the description, I was really expecting this to be a bold, sexual scent. An aggressive scent. But it's not at all. This is sweetly trusting, delicately feminine, captivatingly vulnerable. It so embodies the idea of love for me that, when I wore this, I thought about my boy and missed him so much that I started sobbing. This is a romantic scent. Romance at its best.

Actually describing the fragrance? An old, cozy blanket thrown down in a field at the height of fall. A chilly breeze swirls around you as the scent of your lover’s skin and your girly perfume mingles in the most perfectly sensual blend. Hints of fading blooms and grasses waft about. You can still smell the sweet, faint scent of the apples and muted peaches that have fallen around you. It's sweet, it's a bit crisp, it's warmly sensual, and you are hopelessly smitten.

This isn't a throw down the boy and jump on him perfume. This is slowly being seduced by the boy, getting kissed all over and having sweet nothings recited to you like it's just as special as the first time.

I don't normally like fruity scents, but this is such a soft, gorgeous scent. Lots of throw and staying power, but not thick or overpowering. I don't pick out any rose, frankincense, or myrrh exactly, this is insanely well blended, but I imagine that they are the enchanting perfumey notes behind the sweet, goldeny fruits and sexy skin musk.

I'm so glad that I splurged on a 10 ml of this one, it is going straight to the head of my top ten list. I'm going to slather on Les Bijoux for my next interlude with my love. This the most beautiful, romantic scent that I've ever had the pleasure of wearing.

ETA: I still love my 10ml of this, but recent imps I've gotten of this scent do not smell the same at all. The scent seems to be heavy on the skin musk now, which is sharper and slightly powdery. The fruitiness doesn't have that delicate, honeyed apple quality anymore either, but turns a bit sour smelling. I'll cherish my original bottle of this scent, but I don't like the reformulation/whatever new notes bpal is using for it.

Edited by Little Bird

Wet on skin - Rose complete with stem and leaves and very green. I sniff again and I realize that the "green" that I am smelling is the peach with just a hint of the apple. After it dries, the green note retreats and it is mostly rose with some apple to sweeten and a bit of musk wafting through. Then the resins come out and the musk settles over all. This is very beautiful and so well balanced that the fruits never really stand apart from the florals and the musk and resins just augment the already gorgeous fragrance. This is truly beautiful - and my wallet weeps.

APPLES!!!

HONEY!!!

I'll wind up eating myself with this on. YUMMY!

Seriously, wearing it is all fresh apples and honey on me. I'll be ordering a big bottle as soon as I can.

In Bottle: Sweet velvety fruit

On Skin: This is delicious! The apple comes out first, crisp and tart. Followed by super yummy sweet honey (yay!) and the light juicyness of peach. The skin musk makes me want to lean in and nuzzle my wrist. The frankincense and myrrh are actually quite light which is nice. I thought they would overpower the scent with a darker feel, but in reality this scent has a nice balance… neither bright nor dark. The rose starts to come forward, but luckily it’s not too sour since the orange blossom helps sweeten it. I want a bottle of this, it is so beautiful and feminine. It’s not “too” anything… not too floral, not too sweet, not too tart, not too fruity, not too smoky… I love it! I thinkit’s a feminine scent for sure, and a perfect love potion since it does entice people to lean in. Light throw and average wearlength.

In the bottle, apples. Juicy apples.

On my skin it starts out smelling like an orange creamsicle. But that doesn't last long. Then it goes very sweet and "perfumey" which I'm not crazy about. I was hoping for lots of the skin musk and honey, but instead I am getting amped up rose and peaches. It's a really pretty blend, but my skin is amping it like crazy and making it really overwhelmingly strong. I'll try it again in a few days and see what happens then, but for now it looks like it may be headed to the sales box.