Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
GypsyRoseRed

Ladon

The hundred-headed dragon that guards the garden of the Hesperides: dragon's blood resin, golden apple, apple blossom, white musk and hyacinth.

In the bottle: Bright peachy-pink oil. Soapy-sharp-artificial dragon's blood, hyacinth, and sweet, rich apples. Fruity-floral and quite sweet. Reminds me of bathroom air freshener sprays.

Wet: Hyacinth and apple with a crispy, juicy edge. Only a hint of dragon's blood. Definitely some apple blossom too, very airy and spring-like and girly. Apple increasingly crisp and delightful.

Dry: Going soapy/powdery - damn dragon's blood! Also, more and more floral, less and less fruity. More and more like air freshener and dryer sheets. The apple is holding, though!

Later: This is just so FAKE. Like Febreze or cheap tacky scented candles. I love some of the notes but the cloying fakeness is so off-putting. The white musk emerges, rich and strong.

Summary: Sweet, crisp delicious apple, fruity hyacinth, soft, almost honeyed apple blossom and sexy white musk...with horrible floral-power-soap DB. It would be so incredible without it. Powerful throw.

So sad because this is the ONLY apple note that *stays* on my skin. The white musk masks the DB a bit when it amps, but not enough. I can't shake the fake association. Edited by Shollin
Fixed BPAL tags --Shollin

As soon as I put this on, I ran around my college dorm room squealing, "It smells like I'm standing in an apple orchard with lilacs blowing in the spring breeze! This is fantastic!" The one drawback is that it doesn't last very long on me, but it's pretty and breezy enough that I really don't care about slathering. Ars Draconis has been very kind to me so far, and I want to try some more!

Apples! Good, fresh, crispy apples!

Absolutely not what I expected. Dragon's Blood has a very distinct scent to my nose and I'm not getting much of it here, but that is just fine because I love me some apples (and poisoned apple goes too floral on me too quickly.)

After a little while this remains very apple-y with a white musk base and a hint of Dragon's Blood. So perfect. I need more!

I normally hate fruity scents, particularly apple, but I've been a glutton for the Ars Draconis scents ever since Dragon's milk.

This was one of the most pleasant surprises I've ever had. Any 'fruitiness' is tempered by the warmth and boldness of the dragon's blood, making this is a succulent, sweet, oomphy scent that I am determined to get a bottle of.

Imp: A bit too fruity, reminiscent of spiced cider

Wet: Cider cider cider; very cinnamon, very apple.

Dry: Dark, rich, slightly aged and musky apple peel. Perfection.

hyacinth!!! I have the biggest love affair with hyacinth.

Hyacinth calms me and soothes when I’m troubled… hyacinth comes to me in olfactory hallucinations on the air when I need it the most.

Hyacinth is my guardian angel of scents. I have very high demands for what a hyacinth blend is going to smell like, this did not dissapoint!

At first this is crisp apple and hyacinth, Im hoping the apple doesn’t overpower it because it almost seems like it might.. then wow.. the hyacinth comes out strong and true and the throw is strong just like I want it to be..

I am definitely in love with this one!!!!

Fresh, watery, cool. Apple blossoms and what must be the hyacinth (reminds me of lilac). Floral/leaves/apples/breeze without being over the top or excessive in any way. Gorgeous.

The apple in this makes it a BEAUTIFUL blend.... for about 2 minutes. Then it burns down to pure dragon's blood with a hint of hyacinth on me. It's still pretty, but not the OMGZ-MUST-HAVE it was for those two wonderful minutes.

Vial: Sweetened, lightly floral apple

On: Apple and what I believe is hyacinth. I don't get dragon's blood as a distinct note in this. It is VERY pretty though, even better than "Dragon's Reverie". Hopefully, this will last for a while.

Later: It's still there, but very light - that, or the Absorbine I had to put on an injury is clogging my nose. The beginning was so gorgeous that I have to hold on to the imp at any rate, though, and if I can make it last longer, it will be a bottle.

ETA: The goal has been achieved! Put on the collar of my shirt, it is now in its sixth hour and still absolutely gorgeous. Oh yeah, bottle list for sure.

Edited by Diva Urd

Ladon really surprised me. I got it as a frimp and I sniffed it without any knowledge of what was in it. I though "ooh, this is pretty, I'll totally have to try this out". Then I looked it up. Dragon's blood? On me? Nooooooooooooo sir. No dragon's blood for me, thanks. It's my one deal-breaker note.

But... Ladon is so pretty in the imp. Appley and bright and perfumey and wonderful. So I woke up this morning in quite the good mood and I thought "Ladon. I'm going to try it out."

I'm soooooo glad I did! The dragon's blood in this must be quite light, because while I smell it, it's definitely not the main scent. While it's wet, the apple is CRAZY strong, but not off-putting. As it's drying it gets so complex and I can smell each and every note in there. Once it's dry, it's a little more dragon's blood-ish than I would like, and it threatens to turn into that awful sour-sweet perfume I hate so much... but it never does. It just stays complex and interesting and I found myself constantly sniffing my wrist to get a better handle on exactly what vibe it gives me.

It's strong, too, it stays on my skin for quite a long while. I think I'm going to reapply, though, because I totally want to smell like this all day! Hooray, Ladon!

In imp: dragon’s blood and not much else

Wet: dragon’s blood and a bit of apple now. Has some possibilities.

Drydown: Now the florals are coming out from behind the Dragon’s Blood and they’re lovely.

Later: This is a gorgeous scent. I want to test it again before deciding if I want a bottle, but will certainly use up this imp!

Imp: Apple and soft powder. Not at all what I was expecting.

Wet: Juicy green apples with something biting in the background.

Drydown: Very softly floral and fruity.

Dry: Clean, fresh, gentle apple scent. I really wasn't expecting any dragon's blood scent to smell like this one me, but it's quite lovely.

Drydown: Lovely and simple. Not my usual fare, but I really like it.

You know, I didn't have hopes for this one but got an imp anyways.

This is lovely and thankfully I don't regret my decision!

The hyacinth is lovely. I really didn't expect it to marry so well with the apple blossom (one of my old mischievous summer favorites from my teenage years). This is a lovely fresh, fruity, floral trifecta. I could definitely see using this when I attend a spring or summer party wearing a lovely vintage dress. What a bubbly and rich scent. Deep yet effervescent. This is definitely a "me" scent..

The dragon's blood takes a bit to become prominent. Give it a bit! Debating a bottle in January but I'm sure I'll be fiending for one by spring...

oh, ladon is absolutely lovely. this imp is lab fresh, traded in with a bunch of florals that i can't wear.

imp: apple! apple! and some apple! did i mention that i got apple? .... and that's it. just straight up wonderful glorious red delicious apple.

wet: boozed apple. hard cider. kind of jagged overly sweet fermented apple. nom nom nom.

dry: granny smith apples. yay apple! i don't normally like really foody/fruity scents but this is glorious.

i had really hoped to be able to try ladon after i saw it scroll by on the reviews yesterday, and it got frimped to a friend of mine i did a massive imp test with today. this will be replaced, and probably layered with every spiced scent i own at some point.

Apple, dragon's blood, and musk; so pretty, warm, and sweet without being too cloying. Plus it's longevity is very decent. I like this one a lot!

I must say, so far I am really loving the dragon's blood.

On the skin: I am getting a nice green apple scent. It is also slightly floral but overall a very sweet scent.

It is very pleasant!! It isn't really my thing, but it is a very nice scent.

I got this in a frimp in a recent lab order. Dragon's Blood is one of my death notes and usually gives me a mild headache (I tend to avoid scents with blood in the description). However, in this scent, it totally works on me!

In the imp: Apples! and a little bit of dragon's blood

Wet: Warmer resin and apple in the front, and my usual death note dragons blood is staying down in the background. The apple is warmer than the apple in SGA and sweeter than the apple in Poisoned Apple. I can't believe how tame dragon's blood is in this one!

Dry: Now the white musk is coming out, and just a tiny bit of the flower. Apple's backed way down and dragon's blood is playing supporting middle note. GAWD this is pretty. I love it more the more I sniff.

Verdict: This little imp has earned a spot in my keeps box!

Ladon

Pre-conceived notions: No idea what dragon's blood smells like. Love apple. Love hyacinth!

In the imp: WHOA. It's like a fresh, crisp apple with hyacinth in the background. Something else is there, too...another flower? The dragon's blood? Hmm...

Wet on skin: I LOVE IT. It's sooooo fresh and springy and fruity and just wow. Love.

Dry on skin: The "something else" in the imp comes out more on my skin and it smells like a greenhouse. Soily, humid, sweet. Is that dragon's blood? I'll have to try other dragon's blood blends to find out, as this is my first. Whatever it is, I like it. Very much. The hyacinth and apple are there, too. Mmmm...

Hours later: The hyacinth is the only note I can still detect and it's very soft, but definitely there.

Verdict: I love it. Never smelled anything like it. Can definitely see myself getting a bottle after I slather the rest of the imp :wub2:

4.5 out of 5

Edited for clarity. Edited by ModderRhu

In the Bottle: Sweet apples, something slightly flowery & dark apples. Revisiting this several months later, apple is still the most prominent note. I can pick out the apple blossom, and a bare hint of hyacinth. The DB blends into the other floral notes, and I am not detecting the white musk. (The bottle is several years old)

Wet on Skin: Apples. This is all about the apples. The other notes lend support, but juicy apples and apple blossom are the stars.

While Drying: Apples turning soapy. Revisiting this months later: the soapiness is there if I look for it, but no longer strikes me as a significant factor. I think it is just the floral aspects asserting themselves over the apple scent.

After a Little While: Soapy, then mellows. Retested: apples balanced with florals. The hyacinth is more noticeable than it was in earlier stages. The white musk was recognizable while drying, but now I think it is just adding a bit of freshness to the feel of the scent. The DB is present, but not overwhelming.

Later: I like the lingering scent better than the first hour or so. Retesting: Major appley throw, over a base of DB that is more noticeable sniffing close to the skin. Lasts a good long time. Good apple scent.

Ladon earns a 3.5/5 on my skin.

For some ungodly reason, I had this idea that apple blossom would smell wrong on me. And the "golden apple" listed for Ladon worried me, too. Again, why is this concern there? Was there some apple blossomy thing I used as a child that marred my psyche? SHEESH!! I am really silly sometimes.

Ladon is drop dead beautiful. It just IS. And as I wear it, the dragon's blood is gradually coming to the fore. I wandered into the Hesperides' garden when ol' Ladon was off rummaging in the trees on the far side, and now he's noticed me and is strolling over to take my measure. And he likes me.00000313.gif

In the imp, this is beautiful. Bright, crisp, musky apples and flowers with a touch of dragon's blood underneath. On my skin, it's much the same, and just absolutely beautiful. Definitely going straight to a second skin test.

Ladon

On: Watery apples.

1 hour in: Still watery apples, but with something sweet, maybe the dragon's blood resin.

2 hours in: This is much sweeter now. It's also less watery, but still mostly apples and something sweet, with a hint of something floral.

2.5 hours in: A bit sweet, but mostly powdery and apply, with some flowers. Very, very pretty.

3.5 hours in: Powdery apples. Still pretty.

4 hours in: Pretty, sweet, and powdery.

Overall: This is really great, but I think I'll need to slather it to really make the apples stick around longer. Definitely a great blend.

Ladon

In Imp – WHOA…what is that smell? Kind of fruity, but more pungent, not flowery or incense-y but definitely sweet. Oh yeah. That’s that golden apple! Kicks ya right in the nose!

Wet -Dear Horse…PLEASE don’t eat me. I swear I’m not an apple. (Or a little apple flower for that matter.)

Dry – All hyacinth and apple blossom. My skin really amps these florals, I wish it had more of the white musk and dragon’s blood to balance it out, but alas it’s all florals (and a tiny hit of golden apple peel in there somewhere.) I’m sure this one is great if you love a balanced, sweet flowery scent, but that’s just not my bag, baby. :) This is one I regret I’ll be trading, as it’s just not for my skin

Really fruity in the imp and wet on my skin, and I felt that I reacted kind of oddly with the resin. Glad I decided to reserve judgment, because once it warmed up and the other notes began to appear, this has turned into a wonderfully apple and floral scent. Not overpowering, and not so light that it just fades away. This just might get added to the "must get a bottle" list!

i love Ladon. that's just all there is to it. i was on the hunt for a signature scent, something i wanted to wear every day. i thought i'd settled on one (delirium), but then ladon arrived with one of my orders as a freebie.

love at first sniff.

i don't have experience with other fragrances containing dragon's blood, so i'm not familiar with that note. it could be playing in a bit, but what stands out to me is apple blossom, hyacinth, and an almost creamy apple scent. it's clean and sweet without being cloying. it is absolutely divine, and i would bathe in it if i could.

I still have not yet found an Ars Draconis scent that works for me. I am excited to try this one because I love apple and apple blossom scents, so maybe this is the one!

In the imp this is indeed dragon's blood and sweet juicy apple and apple blossom. Very very sweet.

Ah yes, this is lovely on my skin. Mostly the golden apple and apple blossom over a backdrop of Dragon's Blood behind it-the notes go really REALLY well together. There's maybe a touch of musk and floral, but just barely.

This goes a little soapy as it dries, but not overwhelmingly so. Also, teh db note comes out more as this dries as well.

This was a lovely blend-my favorite of the Ars Draconis line by far. It really worked well on my skin-apple/apple blossom/dragon's blood is a lovely combo. I am not sure I would need to run out and buy a bottle of this, but if I ever spot a partial, I would definitely pick it up!