Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
GypsyRoseRed

Tanin'iver

Lilith’s monstrous dragon steed: dragon’s blood resin, patchouli, pomegranate, myrrh, mimosa, cassia, blood musk and smoke.

Bottle: Sweet myrrh, and the slight soapiness of dragon's blood.

Wet: Dragon's blood - sadly very soapy on me!

Drydown: The smoke comes into play along with the patchouli, but no spices or fruits. Still soapy DB overwhelming everything.

Dry: I think it's time to admit that DB doesn't work on me. A strong soap smell with a little smoky undertone.

Verdict: Floral soap with myrrh and smoke.

Rating: 1/5

this is so great. spicy smokey fruity dragon's blood. it's rich and ripe and red and the smoke is the exact smoke note i've been searching for... this is just so yummy, a deep, red, spicy scent. mmm.

I'm not as excited about this as I have been other Ars Draconis blends. I'm glad I tried it for the sake of completeness, but it takes so long for the initial WHOOMP! of cassia (appropriately fiery, I admit) to dry down on me (and stop stinging!) that, by that time, the patchouli is completely submerged under the dragon's blood and the musk, and what pomegranate I get might as well be my imagination. I mean, this would be fabulous for cold weather. But it's very one-note on me until a kind of unfortunate potpourri stage. Not my favorite Draconis, no.

I had high hopes for this as I generally love Dragon's Blood and the only questionable notes were mimosa (not sure what that smells like :D ) and cassia. Wouldn't you know that the note to amp in a big way was the cassia :P

Wet this was strong black tea (that's what cassia does to me) with some over ripe fruit. The musk made a play along with the occasional waft of Dragon's Blood but really this show was all about Madame Cassia which is a real shame as when she toned down it was lovely. Gave me red marks too when applied to tender skin (hollow of throat)

Off to swaps!

In the imp:

Something sweet, maybe fruity and sour, sort of reminiscent of (sorry) cherry cough syrup. A lot of blends smell odd to me in the imp.

Wet:

Cherries and almonds? Which somehow fades down to mostly dragon's blood and musk pretty quickly. This is not a bad thing.

Dry:

Dragon's Blood and musk. For some reason this is very subtle on me, but that may just be because I've burned out mysense of smell for the morning by trying too many different blends. Anyway, I would definitely wear it again. I think that blends with musk and patchouli have to age a bit before they really work on me, because they tend to blend *too* well with my skin otherwise. I think I like it, though.

Myrrh is one of those notes that frightens me because it has the very real possibility to give me migraines, but happily Tanin'iver gave me no problem. The fruitiness is very apparently, backed up by a powerful fieriness- not skin burning, but in feel. I don't get much smoke, but I have a hard time smelling perfume smoke anyway, so it might be there. This is indeed a dragon and you have to tread carefully around it and it might gore and char you anyway.

Tanin'iver doesn't really match the type of scents I wear, so it won't be in my rotation but it is an excellent scent in terms of execution and matching the concept.

Really enjoyed this 'in the imp'. Unfortunatly once it hit my skin i had a bad reaction to the oil and my neck turned bright red. Will be keeping for room scent/ locket scent.

Very sweet spicy with smokey finish.

In bottle/imp: mildly warm and a bit of spice. It smells a little like cola.

Immediately on skin: It has an effervescent but spicy scent… perhaps it’s the lighter notes mixing with the heavier ones. It still smells a bit like cola… a little fruity but a little spicy.

After a few minutes: It's very light but spicy now... and very sweet. It's a warm and pleasant scent.

Later on: I can smell the dragon’s blood, and a hint of myrrh. This blend is very sweet and has some pretty good staying power on me. It’s a very nice, sweet, musky scent.

At first this is all dragon's blood and patchouli, but the latter softens quite quickly and the myrrh takes it's place. Myrrh can do either one of two things on my skin - turn bitter or glorious. Thankfully this is the glorious type. The cassia is there, but is quite muted on me, just adding a touch of spice. I don't know where the pomegranate was, but it never made an appearance, and I wouldn't know mimosa if it hit me over the head.

In short this is a smokey slightly spicy dragon's blood with a good dose of myrrh. The dragon's blood is somewhat more muted than in most of the Ars Draconis scents. It has good throw and slightly better than average last. Well, better than average compared to all scents. For an Ars Draconis it's quite short lived on me (the majority are still going strong 12+ hours after appliction)!

I like this a lot, and happily wore it to work today after testing it last night. A bottle may be in my future - not that I need another DB blend bottle right now!

This was a frimp.

I have ongoing issues with Dragon's Blood, it only being something I like when it's a bit-player with other notes that I prefer. In the imp - yup, that's DB.

Wet on the skin, there's a big amping of cinnamon. The dragon's blood is underneath, and not as sweet as I usually find it. But cinnamon and dragon's blood is pretty much all this is on me - right through to the dry stage. I barely even detect the myrrh, which miraculously behaves on me, but not in any way I can really notice. No patchouli, no pomegranate.

This is just really unremarkable on me.

My Ars Draconis experiences have been only so-so. However, the description of this one was too good for me to pass up.

Imp: Mmm. Deep, smoky fruits-- pomegranite, I suppose, with rich red musk, and myrrh, and cassia. It reminds me a lot of Red Phoenix or Blood Moon, but it's different... not quite as "bright" as Red Phoenix, without the grain note and not quite so spicy as Blood Moon. It smells like rich, heady, smoked wine, with, I think, a touch of floral from the dragon's blood and mimosa. Gorgeous. Exactly the sort of scent I love.

Wet: Myrrh and pomegranite city, at first, sweet resin. That smoke note quickly emerges afterward, then the sticky heady smell of red musk, backed by red patchouli and cassia. The dragon's blood, mimosa and pomegranite make this a little lighter than either Blood Moon or Red Phoenix, but no less delicious. It's definitely the daytime version of that scent family. This would be incredible aged, I think.

Dry: Myrrh has become the dominant note, sweet and sticky and golden, followed by dragon's blood, musk, smoke and spice. The mimosa and pomegranite seem to have faded into the background. The overall impression is one of sweet red smoke, hugging close to the skin. If I didn't already own Red Phoenix and Blood Moon, I would be snapping up a bottle of this. As it is... we'll have to see.

In the imp: Spicy dragon's blood resin.

Wet on me: Something suggests cinnamon and apples to my nose -- ah, that'll be the pomegranate, and the cassia which is very strong. Hm, I hope this mellows out -- right now it smells rather like Wrath and I got sick of that smell.

After five minutes: This is burning a little and giving me a slight rash -- sensitive-skinned BPALers beware! It's still that dragon's-blood-and-cassia combo, but this is a richer scent than Wrath. I think I can detect the patchouli in there -- sadly all the other notes are still stomped out by the cassia. This will clearly need some time to develop.

In the meantime, the rash keeps getting worse... :P While I'm curious to see how this develops, I think discretion might be the better part of valor. I should probably go and wash this off.

This was a frimp from the Lab with my first imp order. I was delighted to get it since "Dragon's Blood" meant absolutely nothing to me beforehand.

Anyway...

In the vial: Strong smell in the vial. Hard to detect separate scents, but I think I got the Dragon's Blood and the myrrh. Myrrh because I know it. Dragon's blood because I've never smelled it before, and that's EXACTLY what I'm smelling now.

On the skin: Wet - Yes, I think it's the dragon's blood I can smell. Cinnamon too so that'll be the cassia, and a hint of myrrh. This is lovely rich scent. I like it. I like it very much so far.

Dry - Oh, the cinnamon's getting stronger, and I'm loving the scent of the dragon's blood. And I smell fruit - the pomegranate and some residue from the dragon's blood perhaps. No musk or patchouli yet, which is odd since both of those tend to make their presence known VERY quickly on me. But then it's a complex blend. And there's cinnamon, which also tends to shout loudly whenever it meets my skin. VERY enjoyable so far.

1 hour later: This has faded a LOT. All I have now is a faint scent of cinnamon. It might just be strong enough to still be there in two hours, but I wouldn't be surprised if it had completely gone. I'm finding this happens with a few of the scents. I have a feeling my acid perspiration might be to blame. Bah.

3 hours later: All that's left now is a faint-but-still-JUST-detectable scent of cinnamon. It would seem that I amp cinnamon even more than I do rose, since the cinnamon tends to kill just about anything else in its proximity stone dead. At least the roses have the manners to step back a bit and let the other stuff through eventually *grins*

So, scores... or Tully Tallies, is that's not TOO daft. Actually, it is. Let's stick with scores *lol*

Scent: Wet - 3.5/5, Dry - 3.5/5

Durability: 1.5/5

Bottle? Possibly, but I'd need to wear it in a locket for it to really last. It's more than agreeable enough to do that, though.

I love this! It's earthy, smokey and juicy all at once. It's a little bit sharp, but well blended. It really morphs a lot and I like every stage this scent goes through. mmmm

I got the shock of my BPAL experience with this one! It is pure apple-cinnamon on me, with the slightest hint of dragon's blood at the extreme edges of drydown, just before the scent dissipates entirely. When I say apple-cinnamon, I mean incredibly STRONG apple-cinnamon. Nothing wimpy here. It's nothing like what I expected from the description. Either I'm not getting the different notes or I just don't recognize them/can't pick them out.

I like it very much, and it's quite a long-lasting scent, but not your typical dragon's blood mix. Lovely all the same, and definitely a keeper-imp.

In the imp: Wow that’s sweet. The cassia leaps right out. Mixed with the dragon’s blood and patchouli, this is a bright red blend that really does catch the attention.

Wet: Dragon’s blood, bordering on playdoh (I knew it was too good to be true), cassia, a sweet, sharp pomegranate and a lovely musk that I’d kill to have work with my chemistry.

Drydown: Red hots and cherry lollypops. Grrr.

For a while there, I thought I might’ve found a dragon’s blood scent that’d work on me (and that I could actually lust after). Apparently not.

In the Imp : Oh god its DRAGONS BLOOD. Nooooooooo. And pomegranate is in visiting from out of town to help it rape my senses. Thanks guys.

Wet : *sniff* The dragons blood is . . . gone. Instead I get something sweet but its like the faded passing of something sweet. This is rather . . . nice. Mimosa and myrrh are hanging out together nicely as they usually do. Mimosa has a dampening effect on most strong notes on my skin that would otherwise be too over powering so the patchouli is barely even noticeable.

Dry : Have you ever cracked an animal bone in two and held it up to your nose? This is exact what it smells like, so much so that I'm wondering how this one isn't the Dragon's Bone scent. The scent is like dried old bones, very dusty and gritty but at the same time there's something a tiny bit wet on the inside which is the dragons blood but its so far gone it's not even bothering me.

Over All : This is an exquisite scent and I can't believe I've actually found something with dragons blood in it that doesn't hate me.

Big Bottle Worthy : No, but this imp will see lots of love.

Cinnamon and musk and dragon's blood, this one's very warm, with a muted kind of edge to the scent. The cinammon that I get from this is perhaps a bit too soft on me for some reason, and a bit powdery, but good, nonetheless! It reminds me a bit of Dragon's Milk and Wolf's Heart, but softer somehow.

Tanin'iver (reddish brown oil)

gImp (Thank you!) : sweet and syrupy, with cassia.

Skin: Its not sweet like it was in the imp. The cassia is strong, very spicy, and once the oil drys there is that thick and creamy dustiness from the resins. I didn't get the pomegranate, or the mimosa, and can barely catch the patchouli. Very stable, and lasts a long time!!

It smells exactly like a Nikki-ame (cassia candy).

A thick, toasty autumn/winter blend.

Tanin'iver

Cassia immediately takes center stage, which is fine by me, cassia and I are good friends. Dragon's blood tends to be really dominate on my skin, but here it's one with the other notes. All the other notes are in the background to cassia. This is spicy, sexy, and sassy.

[ 4 - Really Like ]

what possessed me to try this, i do not know, as dragon's blood is not a note i really like, but i think the smoke and blood musk notes drew me in. at first i smell the dragon's blood and pomegranate very strongly-it's very sweet and fruity. once it settles down a bit on my skin, the myrrh, musk and smoke come through (my favorite notes in this scent) and it smells like a nice sweet smoke.

Got this one as a frimp.

IN THE IMP: Woah, strong. Sweet, spicy, and smoky, though I can't identify any of the notes. Also something that smells like sour fake cherry, though I guess it must be the pomegranate.

WET: Very sweet, less spicy than before, and almost a bit soapy. The fruit note is actually distinguishable as pomegranate now.

DRY: Er, a lot of soap. With something sweet and spicy underneath. I'll try it again later, but it seems to be a no right now. :P

First sniff: Erg. Dragon’s blood and Red Hots?! There’s so much other wonderful stuff listed in here, but the cassia is chewing on my nose and I can’t smell anything else.

Wearing: Owie. Now it’s chewing on my wrist. I can catch a hint of something darker underneath the screaming cinnamon candy, but it’s spicy-sweet in a very aggressive way.

Cassia and pomegranate! On me this is wonderful...the dragon's blood is in full force when wet, but then it goes juicy and yet dry at the same time with fruit and spice. It starts out very strong but mellows quickly into a rather close to the skin scent. I love this.

In Imp: Smells nice, a bit smoky, and very sweet from the mimosa and pomegranate.

Wet: Smells a lot like Tintage for just a moment, only with this definite sweetness to it.

Initial Drydown: After about a minute, I took a whiff. My lungs almost closed up. It’s definitely lots of what smells like a smoky, heady, resiny floral (probably the dragon’s blood resin) with more sweetness from the fruits. There’s a hint of patchouli I think as well. It’s starting to itch now too – definitely allergic to something in here but I have no idea what.

Overall: Had to wash off because it’s literally about to cause an asthma attack. I’ve never reacted to anything like this! :P