Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
GypsyRoseRed

Tanin'iver

Lilith’s monstrous dragon steed: dragon’s blood resin, patchouli, pomegranate, myrrh, mimosa, cassia, blood musk and smoke.

Initial impression:
Lush pomegranate mixed with sweet myrrh - wow!

First on:
The lush fruityness of the pomegranate is drowned by the dry patchouliand dragon's blood, and the florals.

Dry:
After about 10-15 mins,it's all resin, patchouli, myrrh and smoke. Very dry, not at all watit was like in its wet state.

30 mins afterapplication, it's still a very dry incense scent, but the blood muskis coming through more.

Finally:
Lush, refined, but notquite as amazing as it could've been. Lovely to try, though!

A sweet, spicy scent as it first goes on. Sweetness as of candy--that's the pomegranate and dragon's blood--and the spiciness of cassia. It burns my skin a little, too, which is definitely the cassia. In the background, a slight patchouli presence lurks.

After a half-hour, this has become nose-wrinklingly sweet--a sweetness of Red Hots or Big Red gum.

A while later, there's a lingering cassia-cinnamon scent. Behind it a slight tang emerges, possibly the blood accord.

But in its later stages, it starts to take on a scent that is unpleasantly reminiscent of generic cinnamon-scented room spray or potpourri. Then the cinnamon vanishes entirely, leaving behind a sour scent that is definitely my skin chemistry disliking one of the other notes of the blend. Sigh.

Recaplet: Spicy cinnamon candy that fades into cinnamon room spray.

My rating: 1 of 5 (I'm not fond of it.)

Color Impression: Deep candied red.

I got this one in a swap with septima_pica, who described it as something that a dragon might choose to wear if it wanted to smell sexy to other dragons. This description immediately made me think of Dragon in the Shrek trilogy, and while I cannot say that I identify with that character, the thought really amused me, and so I could not let Tanin'iver pass untested.

In the imp: Spicy and smoky, a little sweet and a little sharp. Definitely a red smell.

Wet on skin: Much the same as in the imp. A spiced smoke, maybe a little bit cinnamon or a little bit incense, but more like something uncharacterizable and weird. Totally works as draconic in my mind.

Drydown: Freshly dry, I'm getting the pomegranate, which I now recognize is part of the reason for the red sweet aspect of the smell. It's blending nicely with the smoke and cinnamon. I can now tell that the impression of incense is coming from patchouli specifically. At one hour in, the pomegranate has faded back again, and everything is starting to meld more into the dragon's blood note that's becoming apparent.

Five hours later: Mostly dragon's blood, with hints of cinnamon and smoke. Still surprisingly present.

End of the day: Faint, but still definitely detectable, dragon's blood.

Overall: We-ell, the smell of this totally reminds me of Dragon from Shrek after all. Yeah, I came into this review with that preconceived notion, but it absolutely fits. Reddish, sweet smoky spicy all at once, ayup. I also happen to like the way it smells aside from any character associations, particularly in the earlier stages of wear. The combination of spicy smoky resiny earthy fruity is so weird and supernatural that it absolutely suits dragons in my mind, and I think it's pretty darn cool. A good one for days when I'll need to kick some sort of academic butt, or something. Hehheh.

This started out primarily dragon's blood and smoke on me. As it dried, the cassia came out blazing. The patchouli was more present in the drydown as well, grounding the scent a bit. This turned into quite the spice blend. The myrrh came out much later in the drydown, and the pomegranate never showed up. Overall, this was a nice smoky spice, but there are other spice based blends I favour more.

Ugh. This is no good at all. Makes me feel nauseaus. Reminds me of trying to drink Peptobismol on a queasy stomach, that high, chalky sweet smell with the very creamy, liquid sweetness.

That is to say, I only get dragons blood cherry sweet with the high, almost cold and minty cassia, and maybe the smoke note? And that syrupy almost creamy quality must be from the myrrh.

I'm going to go and scrub this off now.

...I wonder if the baby powder note is also from this or Black Phoenix? =/

Edited by cinderfallen

I know this'll go down in flames on my skin, but trying things is fun!

Imp: Cherry and cassia. Maybe patchouli

Wet: Mme Morriarity's Big Red chewing step-sister

Drydown: Cinnamon Gum. This actually goes down in complexity as I wear it. Meh

imp: cassia and pomegranate. this is a wonderfully spicy fruit scent.

wet: the cassia is certainly warm (but not burning my skin). there is almost a menthol/mint coolness here.

dry: still spicy cassia but a nice dash of myrrh has appeared.

I agree with cinderfallen --- I get a high, chalky sweetness, and some very very dirty patchouli base. Like sweets and dirt.

Not for me.

Sniffing the imp, it's cinnamon (cassia) blood musk.

Wet on the skin, it's a bit sharp and a tad smoky. Very resinous. I'm picking up the cassia, dragon's blood, musk, and patchouli along with smoke. Smoke is very subdued so don't let that worry you too much if you don't like smoke.

Dries down to a spicy cinnamon pomegranate musky scent. Very nice. :)

Oh, my, how lovely. I'm going through a dragon's blood phase right now, but smoke and I don't really get along, so I ordered an imp of this to give it a shot. This was a very good decision. The sweetness of the DB and pom combined with the spiciness of the cassia remind me of Phantom Calliope (one of my favorites) to the point where this will be why I won't cry when I run out of PC. I didn't even notice the smoke, which is an awesome thing since it usually overwhelms everything and reminds me way too much of the morning after certain parties in my past. The parties were great, but reeking of smoke even after three showers and having to smell *that* with a hangover? Not so hot. Anyway. Yeah. So very, very glad I decided to give this one a try despite the smoke.

This is very strong cinnamon and a bit of fruit. I don't really get much else. Not bad, it reminds me of another GC, but I can't think of what at the moment. This would be great for cooler weather.

Bottle: Weird, stanky fruit.

Wet: The cassia goes crazy and so does the smoke. This smells a lot like burning incense. Just a general incense smell.

Dry: Tanin'iver takes a while to become beautiful. It dries down to a soft, smoky patchouli tinged with blood musk, cassia and pomegranate. It's gorgeous. Very sultry and sexy. Maybe a bit heavy for the current weather but prime for this weekend's expected cold snap. It's fruity but very dense and complex.

Throw: Good.

Overall: I like Tanin'iver. It reminds me of a kind of pared down, darker Mme. Moriarty. It's certainly not a replacement but it's definitely one to give a little squee for because it's GC.

I ordered an imp of this and then forgot what notes it had! So it was a big surprise :)

I'll say I was surprised to read the notes and see pomegranate as it doesn't do pomegranate on me.If this was the official dragon from shrek scent, it would fit fine.

It's a dry, warm smell, spicy, woody, there's a smoky scent reminiscent of the smoke in Stormclouds, that is also in my Dorian Chaos. Liking both of those I find the similarity here endears me to this also. This is not a barbeque type smoke scent, or a burnt bacon smoke type scent. Thankfully!

I have to keep sniffing my hand where I put this. I know it's hot, but I kind of like the spicy feel of this in the heat, makes me think of neck-nuzzling as the summer heat fades a little in the night.

In imp and wet on skin I get mostly the cassia and dragons blood, spicy sweet…as it dries down I smell a bit of the smoke and patchouli.

I usually amp myrrh and its nowhere to be seen.

The cassia is the foremost note in this and while its nice smelling I have others that smell so similar to this with the cassia.. because apparently I amp the hell out of it.

There are two scents in the catalogue that I love the smell of, but my skin hates (and I don't want to wear them in a locket, so they're pretty much out).

Those are Inferno and Tanin'iver. Both burned my skin immediately on application and caused itchy red welts for days after. It's a shame, because both would have been full-bottle purchases in an instant.

Weirdly, other blends with cinnamon/cassia don't do this, so I believe these two must have a lot more than them.

I feel like the mimosa note is what the lab is currently discontinuing. As I got this as a frimp from a fellow forumite, and just tried it today... and love it. It reminds me of Madrid and Masabakes in ways. Dragon's blood is sweetened up a bit with pomegranate, tartened with mimosa. The musk, smoke, and myrrh add to that depth and darkness. Then patchouli adds a little bite of earthiness for me. It's so far my favorite out of the Ars Draconis group.

in the bottle: dark and spicy, with flaming crimson undertones and a perplexing sweetness. On my skin: ashy cinnamon. :ack: Smoky and almost sickeningly sweet, with a charred note of patchouli and musk. Ack! It burns my skin. :eek: Have to wash it off before I can experience drydown.

Hm. An interesting, complex scent that definitely conjures dragons, but... I can't tolerate it at all. Have to pass it on.

When I first tried this it went to powder on me and I forgot about it. I must have been having a crazy chemistry day, because I tried it again a while later, utterly fell in love with it... then realised it was discontinued and I'd missed the cut-off date for getting a bottle. I will forever regret it and keen out of the window of my tower, mourning my own stupidity. I don't know how to describe it, but I think I've used 'sexy cola' in the past. It's a little bit spicy, a little bit smooth, a little bit fruity... all fantastic. It has inspired me to go on a (mad) spree of dragon's blood hoarding. Oh, Tanin'iver.

Oh! Too bad this one is disappearing. It's one of the more subtle dragon's blood blends -- I tend to find the BIG ROUND CHERRY-ROSE of most dragon's bloods a bit over the top, (used to love 'em, then my chemistry changed, sigh) but this is lovely! It's like a drier, smoother, less sweet, more elegant chimera - having subtle dragons blood & spiciness grounded and smoothed with woods and patch. Really quite nice. I won't kill myself trying to find a bottle of it, but will appreciate the imps I have.

A fruity/hippie blend -- cherry (dragon's blood) and spicy patchouli at first, dries down to vaguely dragon's-blood-scented power. Meh.

Edited by karen

Ya know , I didn't care much for this when I first got the frimp of it years ago . I'm seriously not a fan of dragon's blood . However , at this time , the patchouli & smoke in this are blending wonderfully with the other notes . Making things so that no one note is dominating . And man does this really blend well now . Still could do with a hint less DB , but I can live with my frimp until it's gone quite easily .

I am really liking this one. It is a delicious blend of sweet and spicy. I wasn't sure what cassia was, but if it is what is giving it a touch of the spice undertone, then I like it.

In the bottle: pomegranate syrup and blood musk. Very sweet and syrupy.

On me: smoky pomegranate syrup. Just a hint of musk. Still too sweet and fruity for my taste.

Dry: Very flowery and sweet and dainty. The pomegranate and musk have pulled back and allowed the cassia and mimosa to take charge. No sign of the musk or smoke. Myrrh may be trying to come through, but it’s hard to tell at this point.

Later: Gone sugar-sweet on me. Still heavily flowery and dainty, not much of anything else going on.

It’s a nice enough scent, but I really don’t like the Pretty Girly Sweet Flowery (or Fruity) scents. Will toss into Trade pile.

I had this bottle for about two years now time for a review.

In the bottle: Sweet and syrupy cola.

On my skin wet: Still cola but the cassia is layered on top of it. Patchouli and myrrh show up when the blend is drying down.

On my skin dry: Cassia is the main note followed by sweet myrrh and pomegranate then comes the patchouli, blood musk and smoke. A warm and spicy invigorating blend overall. It does still bear a resemblance to cola but less so than when it's wet.

Thankfully I never got a lot of dragon's blood out of this I guess aging has polished this blend. Tanin'iver is sweet and spicy and rather delicious.

Unfortunately I don't wear it a lot this bottle might be better off with someone who does.

I have this unfortunate habit of falling in love with impossible to find DC GCs, and here I go again. Tanin'iver is marvelous on me. Patch and pom, dragon's blood and cassia -- and no skin reaction a la Inferno, so I dodged that bullet. Just yummy and complex with a pretty solid wear length. The smoke is barely perceptible. Maybe if I layered Sin and Dragon's Blood and a little Blood Kiss I would end up with something similar?