Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
GypsyRoseRed

Chrysanthemum Moon

Her scent is bewitching, almost intoxicating: a sensual incense of crushed mums, red ginger, and pulsing musk ... and the air is thick with leaden brown opium smoke that hangs thickly over a seductive mixture of red musk, body-warmed perfume, and hypnotic Eastern flowers.

In the imp: Incensey florals

On Skin: Smokey florals, I think there might be some dragon's blood in this. It sure smells like it!

On Drydown: Warm florals, incensey.

Verdict: Very pretty, but I don't do incensey florals. I don't think the ginger ever made an appearance. Sad.

The label on this one was so beautiful, I giggled happily when I saw it. In the bottle it smelled delicious, floral and smokey. When I first put it on, it still smelled amazing to me, a little like snake oil but with the mums. However, when it finally dried, it turned old lady and a little sour on my skin. I am going to try it again though, because I love how it smells in the bottle so much.

Imp: I'm really not sure. It's exotic, for sure!

Wet: Wow, is this heady. The first thing I notice is the musk, but what I'm left with are the mums. I'm not getting much ginger off it. It's absolutely sensual; the kind of thing I'd keep sniffing on a girlfriend if she were wearing it. :P

Dry: Hm. It's getting kind of...different. And yet I'm still left with this lingering scent of mums for seconds afterward. Then I realize it's actually my arm I'm still smelling, almost two feet from my nose. This has some great throw. Usually I have to put my nose right up to my skin to get the full breadth of a blend. This one is right up in your face. I have the strongest desire to pounce on my boyfiend right now.

Wow, this one weaves a spell.

ETA:

15 minutes later: I *was* testing Lycaon on my other forearm but the mums keep wafting up. It's friggin' gorgeous. I think I'll wear it to the club this weekend and see what kind of attention it will draw. Maybe we won't even make it out the door. :D

ETA2: It lasted over 10 hours on me today, beating down the Shub and Pumpkin Queen I'd layered with it. I did a test run of the layered combo before showering for work, and was immediately inspired to jump my boyfiend. Something about Mum Moon makes me want to devour. It's so incredibly sensual.

Edited by hackess

Ferret. :P

Expensive, pedigreed, bathed-in-exotic-oils-&-draped-over-the-shoulder-of-a-stunning-woman-clad-in-silk ferret.

I can't stop sniffing my wrists, though, so it can't be all bad, eh? Seriously, this is amazing. It starts out a rich dark honey, thick & sweet... Then the musk comes out to play, and the spiciness of the mums comes up underneath. It is undeniably sexy, but in a quiet, langourous way - I want to drape myself over a divan & have my toenails painted... Just wish I got more ginger...

Edited by tartchef

I’ve waited a long time to review this. When it first came out, it was so strong that it took my breath away. Literally. I couldn’t wear it, got rid of all my backup bottles (I was sure it would be instant love for me) and only kept one. Now how many months later, it’s still pretty strong, but it’s mellowing, which is good.

On the skin, the mums are strong. But just as strong, if not stronger is the smell of smoke and incense. It’s a heady scent and perfectly fits the images it is intended to evoke. There’s musk there too, and exotic flowers. If I had to use one word, it would be exotic. If I had two, I’d choose exotic and heady. Knowing it’s there, I can detect the slight heat of the ginger.

I’m not sure how this has changed with age. I remember it being so strong that it felt like it was warming my lungs when I breathed it in, which I attributed to the ginger and smoke, so perhaps the ginger is calming down.

Now I quite like it and which I had kept a backup of this scent. It’s mellowed beautifully. It’s still a powerhouse of a scent - strong, assured, and sensual and with great throw.

Edited by cranberry

In bottle/imp: Warm, musky, and spicy. I can smell the ginger very clearly.

Immediately on skin: It smells slightly floral, with a nice base of spice and musk. The ginger adds a little foodiness to the blend.

After a few minutes: Very floral and warm and spiced. It’s not a heavy scent and it’s slightly sweet. The notes blend very nice together and no one scent overshadows another.

Later on: This has definite staying power… it’s still very strong after a few hours. It’s become rather deep and sweet, and very beautiful. The mums, ginger, and musk really blend together beautifully. I really like this one!

Overall, this is a beautiful fall scent. That’s what I think of when I wear it… it’s so lovely, deep, and complex.

I had such high hopes for this blend... It smells of fresh ginger and spice and cream in the bottle but my skin is amping something that smells very like amber does on me.... I couldn't find anything saying it had amber in it but i don't know :P

sadly off to swaps/sales..

Edited by khiseer

This is my favourite BPAL scent, I think. It isn't at all what I was expecting - in fact, I don't think I've ever smelt anything like it. I was lucky enough to be given a decant and bought myself a bottle as soon as funds allowed!

Its another scent that I find hard to separate out into notes, because the overall impression is so cohesive and perfectly balanced. Chrysanthemum Moon is incredibly rich on me, almost narcotic, but with a sticky sort of sharpness poking through the haze. I do get spice, but it isn't as overpoweringly ginger as it might be, and ends up coming across quite woody, like untreated panelling that's smoke-stained and oozing resins.

I love it!

Sigh. I really wanted to love this; I certainly loved the label art. The first time I tried it I had a partial bottle that had been decanted from and the scent was overpowering musk. I mean, "run and wash off" overpowering. I suspect this was due to exposure to air. I gave it one more try with a full bottle and the power was more manageable, but the scent still went all musk on me immediately. Happily, a friend loves it so she got a bottle for her birthday and we're both happy.

This is one of my favorite BPAL scents I've tried so far; and it's my first 5mL that I'm cuckoo psycho nuts over.

:D :) ;) B) :D :P :D

Opium. Nuff said.

It's absolutely intoxicating! Gorgeous heady incensey floral, puffing out heat and oh so luxe!

It's super concentrated too; just a touch and I feel sexy all day! This is a signature scent. If I could resign myself to limit my perfumes, this would be one I couldn't part with.

The first time I tried it, I drove to all the way to work with my wrist in my face, and my commute is an hour. I don't think I had one breath that wasn't seeking out Mum Moon that whole day!

Just lovely!

Edited by AEris

Chrysanthemum Moon, how I love thee... Let me count the ways. :D

I can't stop smelling myself when I put on this blend. It's warm and spicy and so absolutely very sexy B) I think that I can smell the chrysanthemum flower and something spicy (ginger? opium?). It's heady and soooo sensual a smell.

It makes me imagine of hamams and harems and ayahs pampering my body with massages and oils and hennaeing my hands and feet for the coming of the sultan at night... :P ;)

I am cherishing my imp and trying to collect bottles to hoard! :) :D

ETA: 6 9 bottles so far and one Aes Ustum filled up, I think. I LOVE this blend

Edited by ifinena

Firstly, I LOVE the label for this one, I really do.

Sniffing in the bottle... definitely chrysanthemum combined with ginger and perfume. Gorgeous!

On the wrist wet: SPICY 'MUMS! Oooh, my. How lovely. The ginger and the florals mix so well together, and the smoky incense is starting to make its presence felt even before it dries down.

On drydown it settles back into a really lush, heady blend of chrysanthemums and expensive smoky incense tentrils. I truly believe I could just recline and do nothing all evening except inhale this one... which is sort of the whole point of the name, no?

It lasts fairly well, although not madly long. This could be because of the time of the month that I've tested it, though. Not that it matters. Sometimes other things are far more important.

This one is delicious. It smells like chrysanthemum pollen and musk. It is floral, but it's not classic perfume flowers, but something more sultry and unusual. Seriously, I would wear this if it were mine to keep and I am not a floral person at all.

I am not a floral person at all. This one came to me in a group with others I'd sought to purchase. I didn't expect to like it at all.

In the imp: Something indistinct, spicy, floral-y. Meh.

Wet: HELLO MUMS!! The heck?? I've just been exploded by a mum bomb.

Dry: Honey, mums, something else sweet and dark and. . . *huffs wrist* It's SEXY. Gah. *dies*

So…I have had this bottle for about a year…and all the hype surrounding this particular lunacy..you would have thought I would have tried this already. Why did I wait??? In one word: chrysanthemum. We have plenty of them in our backyard…they bloom ranging from palest lavender to deep blue violet and deep magenta/pink. Beautiful really…but I never really went ga-ga over their fragrance.

However..since Mum moon sends practically everyone into a tizzy I figured what the heck..might as well tryit. So..here it goes:

Initial sniff from bottle: -Smells like a soft incense with musk and ginger all right. Definitely has the opium slant…feels very drowsy…but potent.

Applied wet on skin: -Yup…it’s very heady; I can register that musk and eastern flowers…ginger is flitting around..but it’s not a nervous flitter..no…it just weaves taking its time. I get the mums..not overtly sweet..just very heady.

Couple of minutes on skin:-Incensey floral…and the floral is indeed a bit spicy. Intoxicating. Somehow this sort of reminds me in it’s vibe a little like Gypsy Queen..heavy lidded and exotic and just…heady.

Ten minutes later:-Opium heavy..with the musky spicy..slightly dry mum and incense. This isn’t losing any steam by the way…

Fans of opium will love this. Someone else said they kind of likened the opium wave to Sleepy Moon..among other opium laced scents; I have to agree. I really didn’t enjoy Sleepy Moon because of the punch of lavender that assaulted me..but I have to say the wave of opium that blend seemed practically narcotic..this sort of reminds me of that as well..except it’s kind of like Gypsy Queen with opium.

Twenty minutes later:-Still the incensey floral with the heavy opium waft. I never did get any of the red ginger goodness that other people have gushed about..this is basically a musky/slightly spicy and dry based floral with tons of incense and opium wafting in and out. Autumnal floral indeed…and I like it enough.it just runs similar to my beloved Gypsy Queen..so I can’t put it to holy grail status.

Definitely has strong throw by the way…

30 minutes later: Still wafting out quite nicely.

When I put this on in the morning, my sister came down and asked me what I was wearing; she hated it..said it smelled like cat pee…huh??? :D

I don’t get that at all..all I get is incensey floral that wafts out a bit powdery; my mom said I smelled nice..hmmm… :P

Lasting power on this is serious; 10+ hours at least and throw is average to strong.

Bottom Line: Chrysanthemum Moon is definitely a head-turner; I like it but am not bowled over…probably because for whatever reason it runs similarly to me like Gypsy Queen . Still..it’s a great autumnal/winter floral because the opium/red musk ramps up like nobody’s business on me. Sure..it’s strong and some people might find it too much for work but I don’t care so yeah..people will be smelling me when I come into the office…HAHAHAHAHAHA. :D

My 5ml stays put; my sister’s??? Looks like it’s off to the sale/swap pile.

Chrysanthemum Moon is just heavenly, one of those rare blends that smells exactly how you imagined it would, if not even better. If this is what opium is like all the time I have no idea why everything I buy doesn't positively reek of it, the smokiness it adds is so unique and absolutely intoxicating. Mixed with the musks and ginger it creates a thick and spicy haze that swirls around the perfume and mums and turns something that could have been a typical floral into anything but. This blend made me realize how much chrysanthemums remind me of carnations (my favorite!) with their smoothness and perfect mix of floral with green and spice, it's just marvelous. A little floral, a little spicy, a little sweet, a little dark and smoky... Mum Moon is everything that I love.

in the bottle dry, dusty, light floral with a little twang of ginger

wet on skin it's floral, but it's... hm, it's interesting. i am not a floral person, but this has a dry luminescence that is very appealing. it really reminds me of et lux fuit, not because of the notes, but because of the overall pleasant perfuminess. it's heady and somewhat cheerful.

dry on skin it doesn't change much, although the ginger fades somewhat after an hour or so. it's so tightly blended that the ginger note is the only one that really jumps out and says anything, so once it's gone, i'm left with a unobtrusive, sweet, feminine cologne smell.

WOW.

:P

Er, okay, coherent thoughts... So this is chrysanthemum! It's a dry, slightly spicy floral that reminds me of carnation without being as sweet. When this is wet I can smell the slightly soapy scent of opium, but it's not as strong as in, say, Debauchery or Opium Poppy. Also ginger, a touch of spice, and a gorgeous gentle musk.

Utterly dreamy and I'm so glad I found a bottle!

I’m not sure what chrysanthemums actually smell like but I definitely get the ginger and pulsing musk – the musk is very strong. Not sure if it’s to my liking. There is definitely something very Oriental about it, however. There is also something slightly medicinal about it too. It gets a lot more floral after drydown, absolutely lovely.

The chrysanthemum is nicely strong and herbal when wet, but disappears completely when dry, leaving me with a sweet musky scent that reminds me of the Dior "Poison" (but without the stomach-turning-headachey-allergic part). No ginger at all. Wearable, but although many people seem to love Poison (I'm constantly getting trapped in elevators with it), I've never found it attractive. :D

Bummer. I wanted ginger. I really wanted those mums to last. Drat this flower-eating skin. :P

Update: Please ignore above post! It puzzled me that I was getting a completely different result from all the other posts on this scent, and finally I realized that Nanshe ;) , which I tried two days ago and which I have scrubbed my wrists numerous times since trying to remove :D , is still with me and corrupting every other scent I put on. :)

I'll give Chrysanthemum Moon another try somewhere down the pike, when it has half a chance.

2nd post: Wow! Is that ever different from what I was getting before! This scent is complex, very smoothly blended, and probably indescribable, but I'll try:

First on, it's herbal with a spicy chrysanthemum tickle and not quite (but almost) dark. I don't know for sure what I'm smelling, but it feels like one of those evenings when you suddenly realize that it's twilight as you are coming home from work, and that the air feels/smells different, darker and muskier, and that darkness/winter is coming on. I'd expect a scent that evokes that image to be crisp, even a bit nippy, but this is warm and delightful, like snuggling up in your favorite soft blankie. I smell mums and herbs, and maybe a dry leaf or two. I'm not sure where the ginger is, but everything is so well blended that it's probably there and I just can't quite pick it out.

As Chrysanthemum Moon dries, the mums/herbs back off a bit (but still there) and a hint of a something sweet peeks out occasionally - sugary sweet - what is that? Is it Snake Oil? A tiny snake oil piskie playing peek-a-boo among the mums?

Dry, the sweetness (not sugar, not maple syrple, not flowers, not ... what is that!?!?) blossoms and combines seamlessly with the gently musky base. I still can't pick out and identify anything much. I think someone above compared this to a quieter, gentler Snake Oil and I'm getting a similar effect, although I'm not sure it actually smells the same as Snake Oil. Pretty darn yummy, whatever it is.

Oh, wow! There's the ginger! I'm getting a ginger throw! Yippee!!! This is one of those "two scents for the price of one" effects that I sometimes get with Beth's creations! I now have a ginger (ginger/mum?) throw, while close to the skin is that mouth-watering musky sweetness.

Wow, this is too gorgeous and completely fascinating. I am so glad that I realized that Nanshe had goofed up my previous test before I stupidly passed it on! I would hate to have missed this.

Ahhhhhh ...... sooo lovely ..... B) Thank you, Beth!

Edited by celtimor

Expectations: Dirty, nose-tickling floral.

In vial: Sharply chemical commercial perfume.

On skin, wet: Soft powdery flowers.

On skin, dry: Wow, much better than expected. It does tickle my nose a little, but it's a nice simple floral.

After time: 20 minutes...yep, those are mums. It's still tickling my nose.

Conclusion: My mother would probably love this, but for me it's not worth feeling like I'm going to sneeze.

In vial: similar to Et Lux Fuit, but cleaner, fruitier and sharper.

Wet on skin: smoky opium, red musk and a subtle floral element. It's rich, warm and exotic.

Dry on skin: a smoky, spicy warm floral with a nice amount of throw. The ginger is emerging now, mingling perfectly with the opium smoke and musk. Exotic, sexy, mysterious and grown up - this isn't a young girl's perfume - it belongs to a real woman!

ETA: I really love this scent! It's both fresh and rich at the same time, and has become one of my favourite scents.

Edited by Lyrical

smooth and velvety, with a hint of tart ginger. it's very nice but not something i will wear.

in the bottle: sexy, musky, velvety, just- mmmmmmm *waggles eyebrows*

wet on skin: there's a sweet resinous note here, it reminds me of violin rosin (for fellow band geeks, you know how yummy that smelled! :D)

dry down: this is just: wow. i'm seriously having a hard time finding words to describe this. it's spicy and sexy, without being heavy, it's a tiny bit floral, but it's not cloying at all. it's really well balanced, light enough to wear during the day but hottie enough to wear out on a date. it's just, really, really, REALLY good!

:P

Edited by VioletChaos

Woooo! :D

I absolutely want a bottle of this! I love love LOVE red musk and chrysanthemums!

Wet the chrysanthemum is really strong but after the drydown the red musk melds with a sweet, soft, resinous incense and opium scent and there is a floral waft of chrysanthemum now and then with a hint of ginger spicyness. :P