Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
GypsyRoseRed

Chrysanthemum Moon

Her scent is bewitching, almost intoxicating: a sensual incense of crushed mums, red ginger, and pulsing musk ... and the air is thick with leaden brown opium smoke that hangs thickly over a seductive mixture of red musk, body-warmed perfume, and hypnotic Eastern flowers.

i am loving this one.
wore it today and it's got long staying power, too...even after a nap snuggling with the kitties i can still smell it on my skin :P

wet in the bottle: flowers, ginger and tantalizing opium smoke!

wet on my skin: spicey, gingery flowers, opium smoke, and a bit o' sweetness

once this dries it's a gorgeous mix of spicey, gingery flowers with cream and musky smoke. just a tiny hint of sweetness, probably from the cream, but the flowers, spiceyness and opium smoke help temper that and keep it from becoming a sweet scent.

lovely!

Mmmm, this is lovely! Not quite as musky or spicey as I was anticipating, but still really pretty. Unfortunately, it doesn't last long on me. I get incense, the mums and the musk. I wish my skin amped the ginger some more. Lovely

This is one of my favorite BPALs, though I've not had the chance to wear it much, as I think of it as scent meant for fall. It is also one of the only ones in which red musk does not end horribly (Pirate Moon is the other).

This scent is lovely and confusing, complex and mysterious--I can never pick out a single note (granted I'm not the best at that) except for the chrysanthemum, which is gorgeous, somehow green and dry at the same time.

In the bottle it is resin/incense and floral, smoky, roiling, and dark. Totally evocative of the description that goes along with it. Wet, it is much the same, though there is a certain sweetness (not sugary sweet though) to the resin/incense that was not present in the bottle. As it dries, the smell of chrysanthemum just blooms--as though it were being freshly crushed against my wrist.

I got a frimp of this from sistinas :P This sounded like it would be luscious, but it's not that interesting on me. It quickly dries down the same as Scherezade but with a sour note. I think it might be the chrysanthemum not playing nice. I'm kind of relieved not to love it as it would be hard to get a bottle!

In bottle: Warm, musky, and spicy ginger.

Immediately on skin: It smells slightly floral, a nice base of spice and musk. The ginger adds a little foodiness to the blend.

After a few minutes: Very floral and warm and spiced. It’s not a heavy scent and it’s slightly sweet. The notes blend very nice together and no one scent overshadows another. A bit smoky and hazy.

So far: This has good staying power… it’s still very strong after a few hours. It’s become rather deep and sweet, and very beautiful. The mums, ginger, and musk really blend together beautifully. I really like this one!

Overall, it’s so lovely, deep, and complex, I wouldn't hestitate to wear any time ! It's rich and very exotic! This makes me feel dangerous...and underworldly, like Mata Hari!

:P

First Sniff: Spicy Musk.

On skin: Gingered musk, heady, thick, with mums dancing around, even though their crushed.

Drydown: It has gotten spicier, and muskier and the mums are still dancing. This is absolutely beautiful. There is a sweetness and foodiness to it that must come from the ginger.

Final thoughts: Great Throw, long lasting blend, that is unusual and very pretty.

Imp: Ginger and an entire hot house full of mums!

Wet: The mums are still there in abundance with a heady incense weaving in and out. Usually red musk is a bad note for me particularly in the wet stage but here it is just the slightest edge of daring.

Dry: The mums are less prominent. Their blossoms have been trampled underfoot. Leaving a haunting scent of crushed mums, damp earth, and air that smells of perfume and opium smoke.

Exotic and delightful! An autumnal beauty full of dark secrets.

In the bottle: Lush, dark florals.

Wet on skin: Heavy, perfume feeling.

Dry on skin: Sweet & heavy flowers. I wish I could identify the single notes, but my nose isn't good enough ;~;

Final thoughts: Lovely dramatic mix! It somehow reminds me of Faiza the Black Mamba, but sweeter. Not for my everyday wear, but still very nice.

Like most red musk scents on me - nice, but smells purely of red musk. I like red musk, but I wish I could smell the other notes. Smut, Scherezade, Lady Lilith etc all smell the same on me. Alas . . . at least I don't need to hoard!

I am quite surprised by this one.....

It smells like sweet flowers that linger in the air on a hot summer night....It's just beautiful for a floral...I now see why everyone goes gaga for it!!!

:P

In the imp: Ginger and heady florals--yum! Not noticing the musk, which makes me think it must be red musk because I can never pick that one out. But most red musk blends are winners for me.

Wet on skin: The ginger is fading (!) and the florals are coming on strong. Unlike most blends, which tend to go kind of dry on me, this one is very syrupy.

Dry on skin: Bye bye, ginger. :P The florals have seized the day and they're mad as hell.

This had amazing throw and lasted forever, but is too thick and cloying for me, especially without the ginger.

Oh gosh this is causing a stir in my office hehe. 3 people have walked through and siad what's that smell?? It's getting strange reactions.

To me, this smells absolutely gorgoeus when wet, it's a lovely spicy floral with a very Asian feel to it. The dry stage is weird much!

It smells like lots of pollen, verging on urine. But nice at the same time. Yeah I know that sounds disgustig but it's all I can say to describe.

There's a lot of musk and this is almost like it's got some sort of honey in it. A floral, "Real" pollen smell, with some honey.

There is a hell of alot of throw to this, and it's filling our office, I think I should reconsider the amount I apply.

Quite an unusal blend.

Not really my cup of tea...

:P I do believe this is my new favorite! I got this in the mail last night around 5 pm and promptly put it on. At first, it's spicy and floral, but as the night went on, it became sweeter, and I could smell more of the red musk. I could still smell it at 6 am this morning, before my shower...

Yummmm...

This is a very warm scent - I get red musk and then a gingery spice - it's really gorgeous and unique - this isn't something you would want to wear every day but something for special occasions when you feel mysterious or have a secret ;) If you like Gypsy Queen, this is a much softer, subtle version. Love and I don't even like florals :wub2:

This is exotic and mysterious. A very dark and intriguing blend indeed. There is a smoky feel to it, something illicit and exciting. There does seem to be a bit of a floral tone, but it's a little dirty, and roughed up. I think that may be the musk adding some depth. There's also an element of spice here. I quite like it, and it's unlike anything I've ever smelled before.

Decant: oh holy cowabunga! Mums and something

Wet on Me: Mums and opium, and resin/incense I think. This is a floral that is LOVING ME!

Drying Down: This is a drug and I’m fast becoming addicted. Good mum, opium, this wafts up my nose and swirls around my head and heart.

Dry: this dried into something so utterly indescribable as I simply do not have a vocabulary strong or eloquent enough to describe this liquid love on my skin. This might end up my holy grail!

oooh! Dark musk and the thick, slightly bitter scent of mums. Dark and decadent. Love it! Great staying power too - lasted overnight and into the next day.

Apparently I never reviewed this, although I got a decant several months ago. Whatever's in it, it smells GOOD on me - a very warm and comforting mix of spice, floral, and musk. The ginger is very snappy, but the mums balance it out so that neither overpowers the blend, and the musk is sexy without being in-your-face about it. I'd reeeally like a bottle of this...

First on the skin, this is all sexy honey musk with a swirl of incense smoke, a touch of spice, and the lightest breath of chrysanthemum flowers. This is lovely, seems totally appropriate for year round wear, but will be especially suited for springtime. I was expecting this to be much more of a hardcore, dark resiny type of opium blend, when in reality it's really quite light and pretty....As it dries I get predominantly dried flowers and honey with a whisper of incense smoke. This is a definite keeper! So glad I scored a bottle, have you seen how pretty it is?!?

:wub2:

Sniffing the bottle, it's florals and red musk. A very gentle floral note.

Wet on the skin, red musk, incense, and Chrysanthemums.

As it dries, sweetens a little bit and becomes spicier. Quite resinous and gorgeous blend to wear out for an evening. :wub:

I have been waiting to try CM for the longest time. On, this is a dark, honeyed incense with a bit of dried florals. I don't really get the Chrysanthemums like in Flowering Chrysanthums, which I absolutely adore. I went for a walk right after putting it on, and I couldn't tell if it was the summer breeze or me that smelled so good. It's that kind of scent that smells like the hot summer outdoors, when the gentle wind is blowing and the flowers are mixing with the heat. Unfortuneately, this did not last, the incense totally took over the blend after about 20 minutes and I smelled like a department store perfume factory. I'm so sad, as I really liked the wet stages of the blend. I wish it stayed that way, but I'm sure I'll find a better home for her.

eta: CM has actually grown on me, (or maybe she has settled since coming here!), and I'm reaching for this blend more and more often. I do not associate it with dept. store perfume anymore, really it's a golden, incense, honeyed blend, like the earlier stages of my first review. This is perfect for a hot summer evening.

Edited by milo

Sniffed: Deep orangey-amber, burnt umber coloured oil. Sweetly piney-fresh from the mums with an added kick from the juicy-tangy ginger; there's also a general sort of hazy, almost dusty incense note, maybe opium? Some sweet, intense musk below it all.

Wet: The ginger is spicier, but still more of a juicy note than a dry one, despite its heat, and this feels so oddly fresh combined with the almost-citrusy bright mums - there's an overall feel of 'velvetyness' which the dusty opium note, though light, reinforces. Rich, almost dirty musk still emerging.

Dry: This has got to be Indian musk, because I've test that musk in 3 different scents this week, and I know it very well right now - it's heavy and reach and a little masculine, almost too sweaty and smutty for my personal use - but it is sex. The spiciness is sort of light, and almost floral as if it came from carnation, but I think it's from the poppy/opium/incense haze. The musk takes on an almost soapy-cologney edge which brightens the blend, since the mums have dimmed a bit.

Later: Dark, intense, sweetly musky ( I get a tiny bit of red musk mixed in the with the Indian musk), a little soapy-cologney and a little spicy and smoky - it's just incredibly complex and well blended - seductive, hazy, exotic musk, in summary. it's a little too mature for me, but it is delicious, and I put it in the same category as Black Lace & Storyville.

Summary: Hmmm...it really goes to red musk more and more over time, such that after a few hours, I don't really like this - it's become too medicinal and harsh, cola-ish, as red musk is on me. Plus, the incense has amped a little and that's just not my thing. The gorgeous Indian musk (which settles nicely on me) and mums though are stunning. Good throw and great longevity.

In the bottle: Opium...light floral notes and red musk.

Wet: This reminds me of a gentle, more floral version of the Medicine Show. I can't stop sniffing my hand. Chrysanthemum Moon is really light, airy feeling, like incense dancing through the night air in some exotic far away place. This is exactly how I thought the Fairy Market should've smelled (based on the description in the book). I already love this! :wub2:

Dry: As this dries the red musk and ginger are more apparent. Wonderful! Wow. This is complex, exotic and just...stunning.

Overall: Chrysanthemum Moon is a complex, light floral incense scent on me. It's mildly spicy has a light throw and lasts quite some time on my skin. I'm so happy I tracked down a bottle of this. Like I said, it's exactly how I imagined the Fairy Market in Stardust to smell. An instant favorite! :wub:

I am embarrassed about how long I have let this partial sit in my BPAL box before trying it. Its been a REALLY long time.

In the bottle it smells like.. well...mums. Spicy and awesome, and one of the few floral notes I really enjoy.

It dries down into heavy muskiness and opium smoke, with the spicy still there. And may I say, this is fucking sexy. The opium smoke almost reminds me of honey, its so thick, but I think that is more my skin chemistry than anything.

drooooooooooool

Bottle: I can smell the ginger and the chrysanthemums. I was afraid of the musk (can go horribly wrong on me at times) but it didn't seem to be too prevalent. In fact, all I can really smell is the ginger/mums floating on a cloud of incense.

Wet: Spicy flowers! My favorite. To be honest, I really despised spicy perfume before I found some absolutely loves at BPAL, mostly in the form of carnation and ginger spice.

Dry: Smokey, spicy, dark flowers. Thankfully, the spice doesn't fade (and doesn't seem to be fading!) and sticks around with the florals. Also surprising, the red musk stays at bay, but I sense it lingering. Will have to try this again to make sure it stays tame.

Very awesome blend!