Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
girlmadasbirds

Nag Champa scent in a BPAL blend?

Scherezade is my pick, with Silk Road on the sidelines. Scherezade is actually what I wear with a head shop vibe in mind. I'll put it on the plug-in oil heater and my boyfriend will think I'm burning incense.

Anne Bonny is also a good pick if you like patchouli with personality.

-doreen

The Coiled Serpent.

To me it's a cross between hippyshop and this Hindu-family-owed gas station I frequent that always smells of incense (especially in the morning when the wife? sister? is working).

Lots of good recs in this thread. My feeling is that if you want to smell like a headshop, you need patchouli. Urd is my #1 "headshop" scent, but others that fit the bill would include:

Vixen

Sin

Fenris Wolf

Aureus

The Coiled Serpent

Spellbound

Sri Lanka

Of all the scents that have been recommended, I'd say Scherezade has the strongest nag champa note (it's a gorgeous fragrance, too).

Have fun sampling!

Snake Oil dries down to total incense on me for sure and I love it so much. I always feel hippy-ish when I wear it.

I have to agree that Gaueko is a good nagchamp scent!

anything with opium/poppy in it smells headshoppy to me. like sed non satiata. sometimes patchouli too.

Edited by theseagrows

I've found Litha smells very headshop-y on me - sweet and a little musky and overall very natural.

My family is not so fond of it - I wore it to visit and my sister gave me a sniff, a disapproving look and said, "You smell like a hippy."

I love the hippie scents too -- I don't know if you've already ordered, but here are my suggestions.

Urd was too much with the grape for me, but Gaueko -- oh man, you've got to try it. The nag champa and sandalwood come out just perfect. I'd also recommend Sri Lanka and Anne Bonny. The Caterpillar might also work if you don't amp jasmine like crazy.

some people have said that Mouse's Sad and Long Tale smells like nag champa. I dont think it is exact but I can smell a similarity.

Urd absolutely smells like a head shop.

I also like Namaste for this effect.

also, Black Lotus for the tibetan import store effect.

(and zomg I can't wait for my decant of Two Monsters to arrive now - I'm ready to run over to the site and order a bottle!)

Wow, there are some great recommendations here. This is fun and I am on the search for a lot of these. Thanks, all of you evil enablers - I love it! :P

I'll second alot of the recommendations already mentioned... (cause I'm a incense kinda gal too)

Anne Bonney

Fenris Wolf

Sin

Cathedral

Though...you have to try Wolf's Heart. I think it fits the catagory too.

I second Scherezade, but I don't think it has that super incense smell. But I think, while it dosn't "fit" the catagory, it's pretty close :P ....Anyway, I think you'd like that one too.

Fox

Since you like Manila and get a headshop vibe from that, I'll recommend Intrigue, which has a similar woody/incense note - the narra, I think.

Sri Lanka smells the most like headshop nag champa to me.

I know this is old, but I wanted to add that there’s something about the poppy and carnation in Maenad that makes it nag champa-esque, and smokey, with a hint of not too sweet or overly present strawberry – at least on me. :P It’s one of my favorite scents, and outside BPAL, I’m really not much of a strawberry fan.

I'm going to go ahead and add something to this thread that I had started. I found a couple of nag champa blends, Tushnamatay and the Order of the Dragon LE, Dr. John Seward which smells to me like nag champa with a bit of spice.

I'm going to go ahead and add something to this thread that I had started. I found a couple of nag champa blends, Tushnamatay and the Order of the Dragon LE, Dr. John Seward which smells to me like nag champa with a bit of spice.

Tushnamatay is great! It smells like sandalwood incense to me...very peaceful and mellow.

Lust is a bit headshoppy as well, and Dragon's Claw smells like sweet woodsy incense.

I thought Blood smelled a bit like Nag Champa. Darkness also reminded me of it, though they don't really smell that much alike. Gypsy Queen is in the same sweet incense-y style as well.

In the headshop vein, I’d really like to find a way to smell like newly purchased hippy clothes. When the linen still smells of the wood crate it was shipped in and the sandalwood sculptures and incense it shared space with. At least that’s what clothing purchased at my local headshop smells like for a couple of weeks. Is there anything in BPAL catalogue that could replicate that smell in a more permanent way?

In the headshop vein, I’d really like to find a way to smell like newly purchased hippy clothes. When the linen still smells of the wood crate it was shipped in and the sandalwood sculptures and incense it shared space with. At least that’s what clothing purchased at my local headshop smells like for a couple of weeks. Is there anything in BPAL catalogue that could replicate that smell in a more permanent way?

Have you tried any of the sandalwood or nag champa blends? You might want to try Anne Bonney which has a lot of wood notes or Urd and Tushnamatay which are both nag champa blends. Years ago, things from India, like bedspreads, smelled strongly of nag champa which has a lot of sandalwood. Dr. John Seward from OotD smells like a spicier version of nag champa.

Edited by portalkat

I really don't know quite what you mean.

But I can reccomend a few scents that are very hippie-ish and remind me of a head shop, and might have the same sort of scent.

*Sin

*Scherezade

*Dragon's Musk

*Dragon's Bone

*Snake Charmer

haven't tried this, but it may work: Rakshasa

Sandalwood Citrus (lotion, roll on perfume) from Indigo Wild (not bpal, but it may be the sort of scent you're looking for -also try their Frankincense and Myrrh or Patchouli).