Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
girlmadasbirds

Nag Champa scent in a BPAL blend?

I just tried Spellbound for the first time today and that is nothing but pure nag champa on me. My BPAL nose is still very new but the similarity was dead-on. A bit different to what I was expecting, actually.

The sample was from oil approximately 2 years old so it might have changed from when it was initially made. It really is worth a try!

If no one's noted, Tarot: Judgment smells extremely incensey (it reminds me of Scheherezade but less feminine, somewhat earthier, more patchouli.) It has, unfortunately, become my favorite bpal ever. It figures that I'd discover it after it was already discontinued.

Edited by Vampy

Oh, I WISH that Spellbound smelled like Champa on me!

I got it with my first imp pack, and really wanted to like it, but it was AWFUL on me.

Very overwhelming.

I think I'll try it again in a few weeks, and use a LOT LESS. A couple of dabs with the imp want was way too much for me, and I usually have to reapply continually to keep a scent on me, but this one really clung. I think I just wasn't prepared for how strong it was, maybe?

Urd, on my DH anyway, not on me, has a spot on head-shop scent, nag champa with patchouli, and a bit of grape that sort of reminds me of the other incense in a headshop all mixed together, that "headshop" air.

On me, the grape goes car air freshener, though. Yuk.

This is a really useful thread for me, because nag champa/champaca just clashes with my chemistry something terrible. I had my fingers crossed for Pumpkin Patch 2 this year, hoping the tobacco, tonka & carnation would beat the champa into submission :P But it was not meant to be!

However, those who adore nag champa blends need to get to the pumpkin patch and start digging for PP 2. I predict you will love it.

Bump cause there have to be more nag champa aficionados around.

On me Crossroads dries down to a smoky myrrh and champa flowers. Like nag champa but no so identical that I smell like an incense stick.

This is just the topic I needed! So, knowing that I'm a rabid BPAL-er now, my boss's boyfriend brought me a smelly dilemma today. He brought in his old roller ball of Nag Champa that he used to get from some place that apparently stopped making it (it was just a random indian shop here in the city). He's tried ordering from other places and it's not the same. He brought me his recent order of Nag Champa from a place off the internet (having already been around the city and not found the same scent) and the difference was HUGE.

Thing is, his old Nag Champa smelled a bit like Snake Oil to me. It was resinous, woody but very warm with a kind of buttery vanilla tone to it. But, not being able to bring his precious few remaining drops back to my lab, er, I mean apartment, it's hard to compare what's under my nose now to what was under my nose several hours ago.

Just got a sniffie of Cottonmouth in today as well, and again, it smells *similar*

I guess I'm just hoping the ow wise gurus of the forum will know more than me and be able to make recommendations and suggestions.

This is just the topic I needed! So, knowing that I'm a rabid BPAL-er now, my boss's boyfriend brought me a smelly dilemma today. He brought in his old roller ball of Nag Champa that he used to get from some place that apparently stopped making it (it was just a random indian shop here in the city). He's tried ordering from other places and it's not the same. He brought me his recent order of Nag Champa from a place off the internet (having already been around the city and not found the same scent) and the difference was HUGE.

Thing is, his old Nag Champa smelled a bit like Snake Oil to me. It was resinous, woody but very warm with a kind of buttery vanilla tone to it. But, not being able to bring his precious few remaining drops back to my lab, er, I mean apartment, it's hard to compare what's under my nose now to what was under my nose several hours ago.

Just got a sniffie of Cottonmouth in today as well, and again, it smells *similar*

I guess I'm just hoping the ow wise gurus of the forum will know more than me and be able to make recommendations and suggestions.

I agree that Snake Oil smells head shoppy/nag champa-y, and anything with a lot of red musk should do the trick. My number one recommendation would be Czernobog, but you might also consider:

Fenris Wolf

Scherezade

Sin

I've not tried Urd, but it seems to be a favorite with nag champa-lovers.

I see Tushnamatay recommended as a nag champa scent, but I didn't really notice it there. And a lot of people like Gaueko for nag champa, but I was pulling some other note out of there (lavender?) that just made it smell like Desitin diaper rash ointment. :P

Today I wore Midnight On The Midway and it reminded me a lot of nag champa.

I think Midnight on the Midway is the best nag champa-esque blend I’ve tried. :P

second Temple Viper!! Urd is great too, but it does definitely have a heavier patchouli influence in case you´re averse to that. I love it, though. I have a bottle of each, and Temple is definitely the one that smells most deliciously nag champa to my nose.

Ooh! I have a bottle of Midnight on the Midway coming to me, I can't wait to smell it!

Both Gaueko and Urd have nag champa listed among the notes, but the one I've always felt has the strongest nag champa scent is Sherezade. It's got that strong exotic incensey feel to it. And it's damn kick your ass sexy.

I know this is old, but I wanted to add that there’s something about the poppy and carnation in Maenad that makes it nag champa-esque, and smokey, with a hint of not too sweet or overly present strawberry – at least on me. :P It’s one of my favorite scents, and outside BPAL, I’m really not much of a strawberry fan.

YES! Maenad seems to be VERY overlooked. It is one of the first BPAL scents I've tried and it is still a favorite.

It is a dark incensey delicious strawberry.

It's already been mentioned but...URD!!! This is my all-time favorite scent in ze world! :wub2:

Out of all the BPAL oils I've tried this one smells most like a headshop.

I was wearing Urd at work a few years ago and a coworker stopped into my office to see if I was burning incense. Nope, just my perfume :)

I also get the most compliments whenever I wear Urd. I just lover love love it. Anyone who likes that "headshop scent" needs to try Urd.

I'm currently sporting Midnight on the Midway, and it smells JUST like the nag champa I buy downtown. Yummy incense with a little bit of grape.

*raises hand* Headshop Girl reporting in with a new find. :hippie:

Chintamani-Dhupa (sp?) smells like light nag champa on me. Lovely!

I second the previous rec of Black Lotus for a light incense scent for summer.

I wish there were such a thing as a slightly toned-down Urd, because it's a great scent, just sometimes a little bit too much, with the grape note and all, for hot weather. On me, at least.

I wish there were such a thing as a slightly toned-down Urd, because it's a great scent, just sometimes a little bit too much, with the grape note and all, for hot weather. On me, at least.

Try Gaueko. It's a bit drier and more reserved. If you like the sweetness you could also try Defututa--I find that it has a really personal, skin close throw but ymmv.

Paperrose, that's a great suggestion! Gaueko does have a strong nag champa note. Unfortunately, I'm one of those people whose skin chemistry amps lavender, so on me Gaukeo is very lavender-y. I pretty much only wear it to bed because it makes me want to doze off :zzz: If Gaueko didn't have lavender it would be the perfect light incense blend for me. I definitely need to check out Defututa.

Who knows...maybe Beth has some up and coming blends that will have a lot of nag champa. One can only hope, right??

BTW, anyone know the difference between champaca and nag champa? My impression is that Champaca is a flower, and nag champa incense contains essence of champaca along with other scents.

Necroing this thread because if you love Nag Champa, you must run, not walk, to the Lab right now and get some Khajuraho (eep did I spell that right? Yes just checked it out on my very own bottle). It's the essence of pure nag champa incense, so darn good.

Edited by stellamaris