Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
shelldoo

Chaos Theory III: Strange Attractors

Each bottle of Chaos Theory is truly unique, a fragrant fractal, and exercise in the joy of chance and uncertainty! Each is a one-of-a-kind, utterly random combination of scents, the composition of which is based on whim, mood and gut instinct.

CTIII: DCXCII

In the vial... smells a bit clean, a bit green (almost sweet lime?), a bit herbal, and a bit resinous. Smooth and slightly sweet, almost wants to be spicy. Uh, I guess I have no clue what it is, lol.

On me... sweet, powdery, smoky incense - and that green, sweet lime note is still apparent. This reminds me of a less heavy, less dark, and slightly more feminine version of blends like Doc Buzzard.

In the drydown, more of a spicy twang comes out and it reminds me a bit of holiday spice cola underneath the incense and lime.

A beautiful, soft incense with quite a bit of throw and staying power. Slinky and sexy. It has an almost musky skinsosoft-esque softness underneath that makes it more girly.

Previously reviewed by PilotKitten.

from the CTIII circle

MXCIII (1093)

In the imp, this smell spicy and hot. I would swear that there’s cassia or cinnamon in here based on the first sniff.

On the skin, now it smells like fruit and red musk. After a second the spice comes in and it just smells hot. Maybe it’s ginger. This is quite nice and perfect for winter. There could be a touch of cherry in here. This reminds me a bit of Blood Moon but without the deep, deep musk. After this has been on a while, there’s a floral element that emerges.

Overall impression is that this a warm, glowing red scent.

Last reviewed by roesmoker

CCXXII (222)

In the imp, there’s earth, musk and moss. Maybe a drop of vetivert.

On the skin, this reminds me a bit of Vechernyaya (without the poppy), musk and something earthy. I think there’s a tobacco in here too. As this wears it becomes really woody, and brings to mind cedar and definitely vetivert. The light musk is still present as is the tobacco.

At this stage it reminds me of Jupiter. I like this one a lot.

Last reviewed by supremegoddessofall

MCC (1200)

In the imp the main thing I get is honey. A touch of fruit.

On the skin, the honey is the main scent. Strong, strong honey. The honey gives this a foody aspect and makes it smell good enough to eat. A touch of tropical fruit too. After a few minutes, there’s rose too, which comes out more as it dries.

Last reviewed by supremegoddessofall.

MLXXXI (1081)

In the imp, bitter flowers, maybe neroli. Oh yeah, it’s neroli all right. On the skin, it remains sweet, bitter flowers. It’s really quite pretty and I’m liking this one a lot.

Previously reviewed by roesmoker.

DCXCVII (697)

Damn, this smells so familiar but I’m having a hard time placing it. In the imp, the closest I can come is cherries with maybe a touch of wine.

On the skin, cherries is as good a guess as I can come up with. It’s still super familiar and this is going to drive me crazy. I think there’s a drop of bitter grass in here. As it wears, it softens and the scents meld together. There could be a touch of a mid-range musk in here, I’m thinking Egyptian but it could be a vanilla musk There’s a similarity to Lucretia and to the musk in Snake Charmer. I think there’s vanilla in here too. It’s a rich, warm, sensual scent in the vein of an exotic oriental. Damn, the longer this wears the better it smells. I wish I had a bottle of this.

This is a kissing cousin to Nahemoth from the Qliphoth and Lucredia from the Salon (minus the iris). Yum.

Previously reviewed by roesmoker.

CTIII: DCLXII

This is a really lovely, creamy floral and fruit blend. It has something of the smell of milky flower petals (creamy lilies or Snow White-esque florals?) mixed with a juicy, sweet plum. Almost like the frutiness from Midwinter's Eve has been paired with the florals and milkiness of Snow White. Beautiful.

CT3: DCLXXII

In bottle: Chemically chocolate.

On me: Chocolate, spice, and wine. Something sharp and earthy in here that I'm not sure is working for me. I'll save final judgment for later.

Previously reviewed by Midnight Aeval.

CT3: MCCCXV

In bottle: Florals and moderate aquatics.

On me: Aquatic floral of death. Giving me a headache. Not even sure what floral specifically, and the aquatic really is dominant over the floral.

CT3: MCCXXV

In bottle: *Very* foody. Cake! Sweet buttercream icing.

On me: Still lots of cake, but now I'm getting a touch of some purple fruit, too. Still getting buttercream. It's actually kind of an odd combination.

CT3: CCLXXXVI

In bottle: Pretty powder and florals.

On me: Very much traditional perfume. Florals, light alcohol. Some powder and maybe some aquatics? Very pretty.

CTIII: DCLXIV

This is a strange one. In the vial and on my skin, it has a warm and dry chocolate note that reminds me of brownies. A baked, cakey chocolate. Underneath that, though, is a soapy/herbal something that reminds me of some of the TALs or Voodoo blends. The soapy, green, herbal-ness gets stronger over time and is rather odd and unappealing when paired with the sweet chocolate smell.

CT3: CDXCVII

On me: Neroli, some herbal, some other florals. A little chemically. Not for me.

CT3: LXXXIX

On me: Strongly herbal, in an herbal foody sense. Almost curry-like. Interesting, but not for me as a perfume.

CTIII: MCCCXIII

Yummy. This smells lemony, but it isn't as sharp or acrid as lemon scents usually are on me. This is more tangy and smooth, like lemon sorbet. Almost creamy and sweet, a bit reminiscent of Snow Angel. A light and pretty lemon dessert.

CT III: CCLXI (261): As I open the bottle, I smell earthiness and mint. Wet on my skin, I do pick up a soft mint as the top note, with an earthy background. This is really nice. As it dries, the mint all but disappears on me (but my chemistry tends to eat up mint anyway), and the earthy notes come to the forefront. I'm not usually really fond of mainly earthy scents, but this is quite lovely... I'm not sure it's a scent I'd wear often, though, so I may consider swapping it for others I wear more frequently.

Edited by mtlaise

Chaos Theory III: DCCLXXIV (774)

In the bottle: sweet, almost caramel

On me: Very herbal, some sweet. Some musk in here too. But, the scent does not stay nice on me.

Edited by cybra111

CHAOS THEORY MCC:

In Bottle: Honey and grapes

On Skin: This is number 1200. This is a beautiful scent. I get BPAL honey right away and also a bit of grapes or wine. Very sweet, very feminine. It reminds me a bit of O mixed with grapes. After the drydown, it gets a little powdery and fake smelling, but I still enjoy it. It has a super light throw and fades completely in about 20 minutes sadly.

CHAOS THEORY MXIII: Strange Attractors

In Bottle: Floral and spices

On Skin: I’m really at a loss on this one. I think this is the first fragrance that has really stummped me. I smell a light floral… but dark in tone, I smell spice, but not sweet spice, more like pepper. Also, something earthy, a light clean touch of aquatic earthy. Makes no sense I’m sure, but that’s what I’m getting from this scent. It is not like anything BPAL I have ever smelled. This is a dark scent, somewhat brooding but still pleasant. To my fellow BPAler that I reviewed this for, I’m sorry I wasn’t much help. Beth really stumped me here! :P Light throw and average wearlength.

DCCCXLVIII

Oh, who am I kidding? I can't even describe scents when the list of notes is sitting in front of me. :P

This smells like some sort of spice cookie; foody, but not super-sweet. There's a slightly fruity scent to it, as well. It almost smells like... orange rinds? So, there you go, spice-orange-cookie. It's very nice and comforting; I wish I had more than a half-imp (which was a lovely, lovely frimp from a swap!).

more from the CTIII sniffing circle

CCXCV (295)

In the imp, this smells of lime and either juniper, sage or pine, or a some sorta mix.

Once applied, juniper, lime and sweetness. This is wonderfully refreshing. Once it’s been on a while, there’s a light, sweet musk as well as cedar. I’ve smelled some other CTIIIs similar to this, but a little heavier on the lime and lighter on that “winter” note. In sum, this is a refreshing, herbal, woody type scent. Totally unisex, or perhaps even tending more towards the masculine, as there is very little sweetness to the scent. I like this one, I like a lot.

CCLXXIX (279)

Initially, this is all florals. Definitely lotus, maybe honeysuckle. There’s a light musk in the background. I think there’s also ylang ylang. It reminds me a bit of an Aveda scent, not any one in particular, but instead it has a similar flavor. It has a bit of a fruity aspect. After it’s been on a while, there’s an almost minty quality to this scent, and the musk comes out more. The best way to describe it is a floral Snowflakes. This is a beautiful scent and if I had an imp, I would enjoy it to the fullest.

addendum: after testing 402, it makes me realize this is a soft, subtle floral scent (even at the beginning when the florals are most prominent).

CDII (402)

If the last CTIII I tested (#279) was all florals, well this is florals on steroids. These florals are strong. I think gardenia, perhaps a drop of peach. After a minute, the gardenia gets a bit sharp, but that’s often characteristic of gardenia on my skin. This is a really strong, knock-your-socks-off type of scent. If you put a lot on, it would leave a huge scent trail and probably make you pass out the scent would be so overwhelming. And I can tell this is a scent that will last, a long, long time.

All three scents last reviewed by roesmoker.

CT3: DCXXVI (624)

In the imp: cherry-almond pastries, warm and thick and sweet and foody.

On me, wet: thick cherry-almond with a hint of caramelly booze - this is like one of the Monster Baits. Delicious booze-infused cake.

On me, dry: This reminds me of the Monster Baits, still - sweet cake with booze. There's less almond and more coconut in the cake, but the booze is still caramelly.

Verdict: This is nicer than any of the Monster Baits actually were on me. Still, I'm not really a sweet-cake-perfume sort of person - I think I'll pass on my decant to someone who'll love it more.

Previously reviewed by kunoichi.

from the CT III circlular swap

MCCLIL (1252)

In the imp, this reminded me a bit of an old fashioned commercial perfume. Once applied, that vibe still reminds. It’s oh so slightly musky, in that non-BPAL musk kinda way. It’s very soft and subtle, slightly powdery. This brings to mind powdered skin, smooth, soft, pale, with blue veins. Ah, it’s a soft, soft amber. This scent is a bit too soft for me. And it disappears on me in about 20 minutes tops. I guess that’s a good thing as this scent is not for me.

CCCXLVIL (348)

In the imp this smells mainly of lavender and carnation. On the skin, the soft spicy floral combination caused by the lavender and carnation remains. It’s slightly herbal, not super sweet but floral and feminine all the same. It reminds me of a fresh dewy garden. Maybe just after a rainstorm, or before one it about to begin. I really enjoy floral scents like this. It’s in the same scent family as Sleepy Moon. Much different but a similar feel. The spice of the carnation seems like it could be augmented by a pepper of some kind. Oh wait, now it smells like there could be a touch of rose in here. Hmm. I’ve only ever liked rose in about 2 scents and it has totally changed my feelings about this blend. I was really liking it before it showed up.

Edited by cranberry

the last of this package of the CT III swap

MCCCIX (1309)

Hmm. This one is interesting. It’s a bit foody and smells a bit buttery in the imp. Once applied, there’s a hint of butter, some lemon. There’s some similarity to Midway but it’s not sweet like Midway is sweet. Maybe it’s the butter that brought Midway to mind. There’s an herbal touch here too. It’s almost like a lemon butter cookie but not quite. The herbal elements in here take it out of the realm of a gourmand scent. I think there’s a light musk and this would a wonderful scent for warm weather. It’s screaming out for warm skin. While this scent is great trying it now, I think that in warm weather it would “bloom”.

After it’s been on a while, the light musk really comes out. It’s the same musk I get from Buck Moon. This is a **wonderful** scent.

MV (1005):

This is said to smell like a Sharpie. It’s a little fruitier than a Sharpie but the similarity is definitely there!

Once applied to the skin, the fruit comes out more. Cherry or almond to be precise. It’s very, very strong. There’s something in here that reminds me of the Voodoo oils, an herbal, bitter quality. There’s something almost animalistic to this scent, I wonder if there’s civet in here. Anise too. Yeah, this smells like a Voodoo oil.

This scent is compelling. I don’t really care for it, but I keep sniffing my hand to try to figure out the layers and elements of it. Now it reminds me a bit of Queen. I’m liking it a bit more. Or maybe it’s just because I can’t stop sniffing myself. I don’t know, but I’m amazed at how much this scent has changed. This scent is a real morpher.

Both last reviewed by roesmoker.

CMLXIV (964)

In the bottle: juicy black berries (yum!) and, I kid you not, Grape Bonkers candy. (I'm one of those scents = memories people.)

On the skin: Chocolate! Yum! As it dried down it was a lot of berries and a hint of chocolate still, I'd say almost juniper berries. It's very nice, not a lot of throw, but just enough that it gives me a thrill. Seriously wish I had more of this!

Edited by bat

CTIII: DCCCXCII

Whew, that was a long one to say! I've put off reveiwing this because the scent is kind of complex as in the feelings that it represents. The notes are pretty straight forward as there isn't much in the way but it seems almost tal in essence and it strikes me to my very core of belief.

Heh, anyways straight sniff from the bottle is straight velvert. Me and this note have a history of not getting along together and each blend that has it in it, seems to dominate upon my skin. As I put it upon my skin it's nothing but Velvert but not as strong as it normally is. Hmm this seems to be a slightly sugared velvert and as it dries there is a pinch of night air. There might be a pinch of sandelwood in dry down.

All I can say is that this blend encompasses so much for me, I may end up using it in some prayers to see how it works but then again, I think I already know.

I'll just update this post when I try new blends, as I've got three or four to try. Note: I suck at identifying notes (not as bad as I used to be, but still not that great), so these will be short.

Chaos Theory III: DXXIII (523)

In the imp, I find this one to be a cologne-y aquatic. It seems the same on me, at first, but as it warms up it turns into this lovely warm earthy scent with a bit of sharp aquatic in the background.

Something in the mix doesn't like me, though, and after about fifteen minutes it starts to smell like the dump I take my trash to. And when I say that, I'm not trying to offend, I promise! It's that same sweet sort of decaying smell. So strange. I blame it all on chemistry.

Previously reviewed by mandragora.

Chaos Theory III: DXIX (519)

Wet, this little CT smells like . . . lettuce! How bizarre.

On me, it's still got a lettuce undertone, but there's something perfume-y mixed in. Almost aquatic, but sweet. You know how the people who made Love's Baby Soft had different perfumes they put out? This reminds me of the blue one -- I think it was named Rain something. As it dries, the lettuce scent goes away and it has more of a grassy feel. It's actually pretty nice, just not my style.

Edited by Shollin

CTIII: MCCXVI (1,216)

Imp: Sweet almond cookie dough

Wet: Morphing into...cinnamon? Definitely cinnamon. (Please don't let this turn into a ginger snap!) As I inhale more and more of it, I can feel the cinnamon hitting the back of my throat, as if I were sucking on one of those red disk cinnamon hard candies -- it's that pronounced. There's definitely peach and possibly a bit of pumpkin, nutmeg, and cider in this.

Drydown: My skin soaks this one up. The throw lasts maybe an hour, but the cinnamon stayed put, and added the tiniest bit of vanilla. The peach and cider are very strong now; it's like Jack without the initial "OMG What IS that" stank. I'm still sniffing my wrist and getting cinnamon, nutmeg and the sweetness of cider. I get wafts of it all day!

Edit: I've completely rewritten the above review because I was so, so off the first time. Sometimes, it's nice to be wrong.

DCIII (603)

Imp: Vaguely citrus, but mostly syrupy sweet.

Wet: Ew. Cheap lemon dish detergent. I can taste the soapiness.

Drydown: This one lasts even less time. Bizarre. After a minute, it just smells like I washed my hands in a reststop bathroom. Zero throw and no long wear time + a scent I cannot stand = put in the sell/swap pile.

Edited by hackess

CT III: DCCXXV (725)

Wet, this was green and very slightly woody. As it dried, I got a nice, green scent, with a bit of soft florals. Quite nice, but not really me, so off to the swaps!

Previously reviewed by Melantha.

Chaos Theory III Strange Attractors CLXVI (166)

DARK. Smokey, herbal, spices, sweet cinders, maybe leather? The devil smiley is appropriate.

On first try, I'll be honest...this was repellant to me. It smelled strongly of burnt rubber, tar, or pitch. I could tell there was a little bit of sweetness in there, and some herbal quality like eucalyptus or hyssop. However…I had to wash it off, the burning smell was making me feel queasy. I decided to put it away for a while, so I put it in a dark cabinet for a month or two.

When I tried it again, it was much smoother, and closer to blackwifey’s review (although I haven’t smelled Medicine Show, Geek, or Herr Drosselmeyer so I don’t know how it compares to those). I’m smelling strong herbal, slightly burnt or smokey, a little mint or eucalyptus, or some other herb, possibly a touch of leather. There is some sweetness that I can’t identify….resin? Vanilla? Maybe vanilla. As it dries, it sweetens even more. It’s amazing how a little time in a cabinet settled this down to something I can handle. Still…my original two CT’s from the lab work much better for me.

Edit: I think I should mention that I swapped this away (I think.....unless it's still hiding in my closet, somewhere!), because I just couldn't handle it after all. Just too acrid, it kind of gave me a headache after a while.

Edited by Forspecial Plate