Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
shelldoo

Chaos Theory III: Strange Attractors

Each bottle of Chaos Theory is truly unique, a fragrant fractal, and exercise in the joy of chance and uncertainty! Each is a one-of-a-kind, utterly random combination of scents, the composition of which is based on whim, mood and gut instinct.

CT3: CXXIII

On me: Honey and spice. Yum!

- Blend #LXX (70) -

Candy in the bottle, buttery-sugar and caramel... frankly, it reminds me of butterscotch or caramel corn. Something sweet... Wet on me, there's a tangy but bitter-ish note that mixes and tones out that sweet candy smell nicely. As this dries, it gets a sharp smoky resin in it that throws this one all to hell... *sigh* Mlech, this is like rotted candy, too artificially sweet to stand. Definitely NO.

- Blend #LXXVIII (78) -

Floral and soft in the bottle, very sweet and gentle. On me? Ooooh, green and frosty smooth with a definite "green thing" tone, almost earthy but not a "ground" scent. Like water reeds over a stream. Drying, this one becomes a soft sweet boquet, floral and green with a fresh crispness to it. Me likey. Dry, there's a surprising depth to the range of floral and plant notes to it. A little overpowering for an indoor scent, but definitely a good spring-time perfume by all accounts.

Edited by Elri

XLV:

In the bottle: Cedar maybe? Smells woody to me, but I don't know enough about woody notes to know what it is. My boyfriend says licorice and pine, but conceded it could be cedar. There's something else there, too, though. Like molasses but not cloying or supersweet.

Wet: Wood notes come out stronger. Pencil shavings faintly in the backgroup

After 5 minutes: I can't tell if it's fading or if I'm getting used to the scent. Off to the coffee.

After 10 minutes: Reapplied since it was fading and now the woody smell is really strong. Unfortunately, it faded pretty quickly again. Before it faded, I smelled a cedar scent mixed with red wine.

Conclusion: Not really for me. I'll use it to swap impies, though : )

Previously reviewed by bicyclette.

Chaos Theory 3: CCCXVIII (318) - This is the strangest BPAL I've ever encountered. It smells like chili -- not spicy red chili powder, but like green poblano chilis, cut in half, de-seeded, and then canned. It's very green and sharp and it's making me hungry for chili rellenos! *grins* While wet, I know there have to be other notes in this, but all I smell is the scent of juicy, sweet poblano chilis. Once it begins to dry down, I smell something that's definitely floral, like the scent of calla lily, yet throughout the life of the oil, whatever that note is that smells like green chilis remains the dominant note. I'm really curious what that note actually is, because I have a hard time believing that Beth would make an oil -- even a Chaos Theory -- that was predominantly green chili oil. That would just be really strange.

MCCIL:

In the bottle: Powdery floral with a light citrus in the background. Maybe some cherry blossom.

Wet: Juicy and creamy... like grapefruit yogurt.

After 5 minutes: Turning spicy with citrus. My wrist is starting to itch... not a good sign.

After 10 minutes: Just powder.

Conclusion: Not for me. Will trade impies, though.

MCCXXI:

In the bottle: LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!! This is a minty green tea. It reminds me of Philosophy's Tea Party

Wet: Very green tea with bamboo. The mintiness is recessing.

After 5 minutes: More bamboo is coming to the surface.

After 10 minutes: Strong bamboo. There was a Lunar scent that this reminds me of... Was it Holiday Moon?

Conclusion: Pretty, but probably not wearable by me.

LVI:

In the bottle: Very spicy and fruity. It kind of makes me sick because it reminds me of Southern Comfort (and I don't need to be reminded of that!). It's not exactly the same smell, but SC is lingering in the background.

Wet: I know there isn't supposed to be cinnamon or cassia in here, but it smells like there's a cinnamon stick in here. The sickening smell of SC is definitely going away (thankfully!!!)

After 5 minutes: Christmas in a bottle. I can smell a little bit of cranberry in the background (maybe a different juicy, red berry) but mostly spice. I am in love with my wrist! :P

After 10 mins: Still going strong. The berry is smelling a little like Fruit Loops. Maybe Apple Jacks? I'm so happy this bottle found its way to me!

DCXC:

In the bottle: Sweet, a little toffee but with a mild Vicks in the background.

Wet: A sweet, earthy scent. Maybe some moss? A little floral. I'm not really sure what to make of it.

After 5 minutes: Some fruitiness. It's like candy. Earthy candy. A little citrus.

After 10 minutes: Settling into a floral green tea. What a morpher!!!

Conclusion: Pretty enough, good throw, wearable for me. : ) Yea!

CCXXVIII:

In the bottle: Holy bowl of melon!!! Smells like a bowl of super ripe cantalope and honeydew spilling with juiciness. Yummy! I can smell a little green grape, too.

Wet: Still a fruit bowl, but I'm getting a little pepper mixed in. Maybe some banana. Definitely tropical.

After 5 mins: Starts going a little rotten... This scent reminds me of Fruit Moon but with more melon. Same in-your-face fruitiness.

After 10 mins: Same

Conclusion: It's interesting. I'm going to try it while I'm not ovulating and see if I get different results.

Edited by the_cat_goddess

Chaos Theory 3: XVIII (18) - I like this one! It's sweet and lightly musky, like sugared, white musk! There may be the slightest hint of pear in this, as well. It's a very "white" scent, and while it's not one I'd normally find myself attracted to, it's just so sweet and innocent and pretty. It sticks close to the skin and the staying power is quite light.

Previously reviewed by crescentwench.

Chaos Theory 3: MLXX (1070) - It seems I'm bumping into a lot of CT3s in which Beth used sugar as an ingredient -- brown sugar, specifically. This is yet another one. This scent is predominantly a wine and brown sugar blend and I think there may be some sort of curry in it, but I am not positive about that. It's a strange, sharp, tart, and biting scent, yet simultaneously sweet. The throw is light, but the staying power is very long.

CT3: MCLXVIII

On me: Very lemony, with a bit of floral underneath. It's a bright, fresh lemon, but still not for me.

CT3: MCLXXXVII

On me: Lightly citrus, with some florals and spices behind it. I'm also getting a bit of mint that is giving this scent a crisp tone. Overall effect is "toothpaste."

Chaos Theory 3: CCCXLVIII (348) - Ack! Gardenia! And it's a bad gardenia, too. There's something else in there with it... rose, maybe? And a touch of soapy sweet pea? All I know is this is heady and very fragrant and to me, it's highly highly offensive. I had to wash it off before I got ill, but after I washed it off, there was still scent left on my skin, and I identified at least one of the notes blended with the gardenia: it was violet, which I normally love, but this combo was just gross on me. Blech.

Last reviewed by harmonyfb.

Chaos Theory III: CCLXXIV (274)

Purchased from phedra

Described as Cherry Vanilla

I could smell this as soon as I opened the package. It was powdery and reminded me of a baby scent.

I get the cherry vanilla resemblance. The cherry is sharp, like a liqueur. The vanilla is soft and powdery. Very strong. It starts to give me a headache, but not from wearing it, just the scent coming from the vial. Not sure about this one.

Last reviewed by shadith.

Chaos Theory 3: CCCLII (352) - The first few times I sniffed this in the vial, I was positive I got a bottle of water. This smells like a whole lot of nothing when sniffed in the vial. However, when applied, it turns into a lovely soft, white floral that is full of the scent of a cool, misty breeze. There is the tiniest hint of what I think may be plumeria, but very faint and far in the background. This scent would fall into the same scent family as the unreleased blends Zero, Nihil, and Toxin. It has very light throw and despite being so soft, it lasts a good 5+ hours on my skin.

Chaos Theory III: Strange Attractors MCCCVII (1307):

Bottle: Citrus-y, really almost soda-ish.

Wet: Very similar to the bottle, but instead of a general citrus, it's orange. Also, a dry note starts to come out, I'm bad at this, but it might be a tiny bit of leather? Still quite reminiscent of soda.

Dry: This is one of those blends that stays basically the same throughout the whole wear period, it's orange with a hint of something dry or dusty to balance out the sweetness. The strange thing is that though I get orange and soda (or at least carbonation) it doesn't smell at all like orange soda.

Basically, I love this. Citrus is my favorite, and orange is the one that works best on me. Unfortunately like most citrus blends, the throw is very faint (I have to be within a few inches of my wrist to smell it) and it doesn't last all that long. It's sort of a dilemma, because I love to wear it and would totally slather it on every couple of hours if I knew I could get more, but since I can't, I hardly ever wear it.

Chaos Theory III: Strange Attractors LXXXVI (86):

Bought from eml298 here on the forums.

Bottle: Sharp, herbal, and green.

Wet: Mostly the same as in the bottle, but it seems a little sweeter and not so harsh.

Dry: Again, fairly similar. It loses the sweet note it has wet and goes bitter. Still very, very green.

Interesting, but not something I'd wear regularly- it's very un-perfume like.

Chaos Theory 3: XXVIII (28) - This is very similar to the ultra-sweet grape juice scent that I smell in Tum -- it's kid's grape-flavored juice served during snack time at preschool. It is so sweet and so icky that I had to wash it off. And I could still smell it on my skin after I washed it off -- but at least it didn't have much throw after one good scrubbing. I'm definitely passing this along, hopefully to someone who loves grape.

Previously reviewed by Mountaingrrl.

Chaos Theory III: Strange Attractors (MCCXXXIX)

In the bottle: Eh, smells like the unbearably green, fresh note in Sleepy Moon that I think is bamboo. Yech.

Wet: I can almost taste the greenness in the back of my throat. It's like biting into a flower stalk. Juicy and almost, but not quite, bitter. A bit of lemon--verbena!--peeps out as it begins to dry.

Dry: The verbena becomes more pronounced once it's dry, but it fades quickly and the green bamboo comes back. If it weren't for that, I'd really like blend. Unfortunately, the verbena doesn't seem to be coming back, and now a sharply soapy scent is coming out. Woe.

This was my third and final CT, so I was hoping I'd love it, or at least like it. Alas. Well, I didn't like my first but I loved my second. One out of three isn't too bad, I guess.

CCCXXIII- AKA 323.

I purchased this from it's original owner, as opposed to the lab; I'll have to see if she posted a review here when I have time, since it's always fun to see what other people's impressions are of scents. Anyway. This is my favorite of all my CT3s which says a LOT, I have several I absolutely adore.

This is a lot like Creepy, with a little more of the Spooky creamyrum undertone. Oh, my god, it is delicious.

Wet, it goes on like it has a crisper apple note- Granny Smith as opposed to Red Delicious. There's also a Chimera-like hint of cinnamon (which can't be cinnamon, according to Beth's description of the CT3s, and my skin isn't irritated by it, so it definitely isn't actually cinnamon... it just smells like it to me).

Then it dries. There is a totally coconut rum like scent that erupts off my wrist and is amazing- sweet, creamy, and totally decadent smelling. Also I get something like caramel too.

It really smells like a Spooky + Creepy thing happening after it dries down. It gets much sweeter and creamier as it dries- whatever slightly astringent note I was getting is gone, and so is the cinnamon-like note.

Really, I am in love with this scent. I'll be cherishing it for sure. It amazes me how much the Chaoses morph, too- it smells much different wet and in the bottle... the creaminess and sweetness really emerge only when totally dry, but that scent sure does linger.

5 out of 5

Chaos Theory III: DCLI. A gifted decant from PilotKitten :P

In the imp vial and first on me... nutty and it reminds me of something. Roasting chestnuts? Almost nutty (in that woodsy sort of way) with brown sugar and an extra toasted warmth. A bit reminiscent of Hearth.

It’s incredibly light and foodie, but something in this gets really sharp and soapy on me in the drydown. Like brown sugar and roasted chestnuts, with a sharp and soapy lily coming out after a few minutes.

Last reviewed by supremegoddessofall.

CT3: CCXXII - Aquatics, light florals. Pretty. Score = 5

Last reviewed by slave1.

CT3: MCC - Honey, touch of rose. Pretty. Score = 5

Previously reviewed by roesmoker.

CT3: DXLIII - Cherry, something spicy, something a bit medicinal. A bit of mint and chocolate? It's kind of chocolate cherry mint toothpaste. Very strange. Can't decide if I like it or not. Score = 3

Previously reviewed by sookster.

CT3: CXXIV - Fairly spicy, but some florals in here, including either neroli or ylang ylang, neither of which like me. I think I'm getting some juniper, too. Has a Christmas feel to it. I think I'll test it again. Score = 3

CT3: CLXXVII - Not liking this one at all. It smells like a sweaty lockerroom. Score = 2

Last reviewed by slave1.

OK, here are my scattershot "reviews" of the many CTs I tried recently.

From the CT 3 sniffing circle:

CDII (402)

Wet: Pear? Cologne? There's something oddly foody & familiar about it, but I can't figure out what it is. Basil? Sage? Reminds me a little of Madrid, Rome or Antony.

Previously reviewed by olympia301.

MV (1005)

Wet: OMG it really does smell like a Sharpie. I am getting a sort of chemical almond/cherry scent. Dry-down is nice, soft and sweet.

Last reviewed by Reedsong.

CCCXLVIII (348)

Floral? It's a little like my 894, sort of soft rubber on me, which usually means night-blooming florals.

Last reviewed by edenssixthday.

CCLXXIX (279)

Cleaning fluid. That probably means it's got patchouli - lots of GC blends w/ patchouli turn to cleaning fluid on me.

MLXXXI (1081)

Something extremely familiar, but I can't figure out what it is. I know I've smelled this note before. Some kind of moss? Lichen? Or maybe it's lotus - it's getting a little bubblegummy on the dry-down.

MCCCIX (1309)

Wet: Smells just like Snowblind, but less buttery. I love it!! There's some coconut in this too - it's like vanilla-coconut. God, it's fabulous.

DCXCVII (697)

In the bottle: Gross, almond! On: It calmed down a LOT and got sort of metallic-sweet. It's drying down almost potpurri-like. Finally ended up nice, incensey.

MCCLII (1252)

Wet - clove? Yummy. Dry: it also smells familiar, maybe it's amber? sort of a golden resiny scent. Very faint.

Previously reviewed by Xiabelle.

CCXCV (295)

A VERY familiar kitchen herb of some kind - thyme? It's not bad, but too foody for me.

non-sniffing circle:

MXCIII (1093)

Ew, cleaning fluid. Again, probably patchouli.

Previously reviewed by Sofia Blackthorne.

MCXV (1115)

Heliotrope? Something golden, sweet and almost creamy. Mmm, I love heliotrope.

Previously reviewed by slave1.

Another gifted decant from the lovely PilotKitten :P

CTIII: MCCCXXVI

This is a strong blast of lemon/lemongrass. It smells like sour lemonhead candies on me. Kind of herbal, but mostly it's just screaming LEMONS!!!111

BPAL's lemon notes go kind of sharp on me, so this doesn't work for me, but it's a strong, bright, and rather cheery sort of scent.

CTIII: DCCCLXXXIV - a decant.

In the vial, smells kinda like grape bubblegum, cream, and caramel. Fruity and candied.

On me... love. This smells a lot like LUSH's Creamy Candy fragrance. Pink candies and sweet vanilla. But it also has a touch of something creamy, tart, and fruity that reminds me of LUSH's The Comforter.

The drydown is cotton candy, creamy (almost carameled) vanilla, and something like blackberry lemonade. Yet, it's not just foodie or fruity or sweet. This has something sexy and slightly powdery lingering in the background and keeping it from smelling too childish or overly sweet.

Candy musk and tart berries. This reminds me of something and there's some note here that I know but can't quite grasp. I think that I'm going to beg my decanter for the bottle of this one :P

CT3: II (2), CTIII: II (2)

Swapped reedsong for this one.

Wet: *Huge* amounts of fresh-cut juicy green grass, with dirt underneath. BPAL's dirt note doesn't actually smell like dirt on me most times, but whatever this is does. This is the strongest wet grass scent I've ever tried. It reminds me of Demeter's Grass. A little later, a light floral and something akin to green pepper come in. Others have thought the floral was gardenia, but my skin amps gardenia and this is not it. Maybe shea. Whatever it is, it's subtle and the green pepper sharpness is almost off-putting.

Dry-down: Definitely shea, coming out more, and white musk, subtly blending with the grass, flowers and dirt. This is lovely. A cool May morning in a garden after a rain, when all the plants are still damp. I don't know how much I'll wear this, but of all the CTs I've tried so far this is a favorite.

Edited by bifemmefatale

CT III - MCXXVI

This is definitely a fruity floral. In the vial and first on my skin, this reminds me of sweet tarts and honeyed, slightly soapy lilies and orchids.

In the drydown, this is a very sweet, pretty bouquet of spring flowers. It has that sticky-sweet smell of pollen and flower sap. This actually reminds me a lot of White Rabbit with its honey and clean notes.

A creamy, slightly sweet, slightly clean bouquet of flowers with a hint of juicy fruitiness (maybe even reminding me of a wine note) in the background.