Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
shelldoo

Chaos Theory III: Strange Attractors

Each bottle of Chaos Theory is truly unique, a fragrant fractal, and exercise in the joy of chance and uncertainty! Each is a one-of-a-kind, utterly random combination of scents, the composition of which is based on whim, mood and gut instinct.

My one and only CT3 bottle, MCVII (1107).

In the bottle- Mmmm, it smells so nice! Light happiness in a bottle- a little sweet, fruity, and musky.

Wet- The fruit comes to the front! It's not an overly sweet or cough-syrupy fruit, smells like plum with a touch of mandarin. Something else in the background- maybe a sweet resin like amber, or a light musk. As it dries, the fruits take on a little waxy/plasticy smell (which happens with many BPAL fruits anyway- makes me think of fake wax fruit).

Dry- The plasticky edge to the fruit fades at about 30 minutes. Around an hour in, the fruit mellows a lot and the orangy/mandarin part is gone. I'm left with a wonderful light skin scent that smells like vanilla musk with just a hint of plum. I really like this stage and though the scent is oh-so-light, it still lasts quite a while on me.

Overall, I'm quite happy with this scent once I get past the plastic stage. I was fearing a super-foody, floral, or ozone blend and I'm glad I lucked out with my one bottle! Thank you labbies for picking a great scent for me. :P Edited by Shollin

CT3: MXXX

In the bottle: Not much of anything. It smells vaguely floral, but that's it.

Wet: Hmmmm. It's still got a pale white floral in there, maybe Lily of the Valley? But there's definitely a fruity-type note in here...

Dry: This reminds me quite a bit of High John the Conqueror, actually. It's got a bright, slightly bubble-gummy fruitiness that is sweet and lovely. It still retains a breath of that white floral, keeping things from getting syrupy.

Try number 6, and we have a winner!!!

MCXV: Chaos Theory III Strange Attractors

In Bottle: Cinnamon

On Skin: Translates to number 1115. Um, wow, wow and wow. This is extreme cinnamon. If you like spice, especially cinnamon, this scent was made for you. Sadly, cinnamon is one of my worst enemies. There is a nice sweetness in the background that I hope will come forward more. This is more of a bakery scent than a Red Hot candies scent. I think I detect a little nutmeg. I’m think if you like Three Witches, you will LOVE this scent. I will more than likely swap this scent to try and find one more my taste, sweet and foody or seductive and musky. It also has the slightest mose subtle apple in the background, quite foody for sure. This one needs a hope where it will be appreciated. It has super strong throw and amazing wearlength.

Edited by slave1

MCXXXIX - in the bottle, this smell's sort've like the perfume department at Macy's. It's very heady and in-your-face. It also sort've smells like grandma's makeup chest. On me, it starts as dirt and something sharp, it dries down to anise and violet. maybe a little patchouli. i can't stand any of the these things, so salesville it is.

Oh yeah, there's lots of anise in this. And something that makes it a little sharp. Don't know what, though.

Edited by stiricide

Two ample samples :P traded to me by the generous cuervosueno. First reviews to be found here (XXXIV) and here (ML).

XXXIV: Apple with a bitter green vegetable I eventually identified as celery. It strongly suggests hard cider and dries to an Apple Jolly-Rancher sweetness with a tiny kick left over from the original bitter scent.

ML: In the bottle and wet on the skin, starts off with a rich green/resin bitterness that is just intriguing. I've never smelled anything like this. In drying, the bitterness (which is something organic-smelling, like leaves? recedes without entirely disappearing. It leaves a high, not too sharp, sweet floral note floating above a green/ aquatic scent (the aquatic is noticable on exhaling.) I don't smell the bergamot, but I'm also not great at identifying scents.

Chaos Theory MLXXVIII (1078?)

This is my first ever experience with the Chaos Theories, and I didn't want to join a decant circle because I wanted to know what my very own bottle would come out smelling like. If there is to be Chaos in the future, I will likely join the circles to sample more scents, but I'm glad I did it this way for my first round. It is a pretty incredible process, if you ask me.

When I first opened it, I smelled something very familiar and rich. Definitely not a floral. When I pulled it away, there was the lingering scent of alcohol- it's not fizzy or bright; it's sensual and thick... maybe a liqueur. It reminds me of Cerberus! There's something about it... It's like a deep chocolate liqueur... and then there's fruit. It might be a citrus, but I don't think so. It's got that bright feeling... Huh. It sort of has this sharpness that reminds me of Monster Bait: Closet, just with chocolate cake instead.

On my skin, that sharpness becomes more pronounced. It's like blackberry wine and rich cocoa. I know I'm missing a lot about this scent. I think there might be some ginger or carnation, spicing things up. It is not nearly as strong as Cerberus, nor as sharp as MB: Closet. However, the sharpness from it doesn't fade. I think there might be a hint of pepper in this, too. Huh. I don't smell anything floral, but that doesn't mean it's not there. It does lean towards foody/boozey/spicy, to my nose. It stays close to my skin, but it doesn't have the warmth of amber that makes it meld into what I think of as a skin scent. If there is a musk to this, it's rather faint- certainly not white musk, though. And I think there might be red sandalwood in this, which is the one type that doesn't turn to sawdust on me! If there is a floral in this, it's a faint, sweet lotus. (This is like a who's who of my favourite notes, for the most part- amazing!)

It's really complex, and I'm not sure what to make of it. It'd be easier if I had a list of notes to go on- and it'd be neat to see how close I am. I don't know what to do with this one. It's a lot lighter than I'd first thought, too. I may let it age and see how it goes. Or I may look for a swap so this goes off to somebody who really appreciates the complexity. I haven't yet decided.

MXCIII (1093)

A bit of dirt, and some herbs. I get the same apple pie smell I've had from several Chaos Theories from different rounds. On my skin the herbs fade away. Sad, because I don't like apple pie. This does smell insanely close to it, though.

CXLII aka 142: This is a major floral. I know what flower, too, I just can’t quite pin the name to the scent. Lilac? Iris? Orchid? A flower with a sweet, heady but delicate and complex scent, anyway, is what comes to mind. It’s also got a serious sweet base, my nose is saying serious vanilla. The overall effect is rather purple smelling in my opinion. It’s sort of like an extra vanilla-y Regan with something slightly different about the florals. Could be great on some people, and like Regan I want to like it but anything floral I’ve learned is very difficult for me... some moonflower blends are the exception. They tend to make me a wee bit queasy and this is no exception, even though the vanilla underneath really wants to be my buddy. Well, it was fun to try a new CT, anyway! Sorry bottle, off you go.

I've got CTIII: MCCXXVI

Bottle: Strawberry milk.

Wet: Sweet and vanilla and milk and strawberry. Possibly rose, possibly some other sweet whitish floral. Possibly white musk underneath. And if I'm not mistaken, there is a slight hint of sandalwood in here... awesome!

Dry: After a while, the creaminess is still there and the strawberry's backed off a bit. The sandalwood note I'm getting is still there and in the open, very pleasantly. Reminds me of a Lush bubble bar or something.

Category: Foody/Sandalwood

Rating: 4/5; pleasant foody scent, really strong

Overall: I really like the scent on it's own, I would love it as a bath scent. Don't know if I'd wear this every day, but it's not too bad. I may choose to swap this out later, though, if I find I don't/won't wear it.

XCIV (94) - Two letters: P.U. This smells way too much like Tum -- it's a weird plastic-artificial-fake grape juice scent. I am also almost certain that there is a drop of two of soapy sweet pea in this blend. There's also the slightest hint of eucalyptus in here and the soft powdery scent of orange blossom. This is a really atrocious scent (at least on my skin!) -- very sickly sweet, artificial-smelling, slightly soapy, and overall, it smells like a spot on a carpet where you're not sure if the dog piddled or if a kid spilled his juice box.

DCCCLXXXII (882) - This one reminds me very faintly of Bordello, except a little less cherry and more pomegranate, or red wine. It's not awful, but not my style.

DCCCXCIV (894) - This has got to have some kind of night-blooming floral in it, possibly the dreaded jasmine, because it goes to eau de gas station - rubber, exhaust & gasoline - on me. :P Reminds me of Nyx, because that's what Nyx smelled like on my skin. I'm sure this would be beautiful on someone with different chemistry.

Off to swaps you go, my lovelies! I have one more CT in the mail, c'mon baby!

Edited by Shollin

MCCXXXVIII, aka 1238: Wow, is that how many CTs Beth sold? That kicks ass! I ordered one more right before they went down (since the first batch was so amazing, I had to have one last go). It's familiar. Instantly. I know the note. It's definitely got some honey, some medium weight musk or friendly patchouli and a shy hint of floral on top, probably a violet I think. It reminds me very much of Luperci, a lighter-weight cousin anyway, with just a bit more of a floral topnote. The honey, or possibly it's actually honeycomb, is delish. The musk (which you can really smell in the bottle wet) is one I can wear well, so it's probably not red... though I can wear Mme Moriarty's red musk, so I can't absolutely rule it out. Anyway, this is a really well balanced blend, definitely as polished and well blended as some of the ones Beth's slaved over. Will I wear it? That, I'm not sure.

MLVI (#1056): (My 4th and final bottle!! Noooo!!)

In the bottle: Hrm..this smells just like Montresor again.

On the Skin: I can detect a sweet floral w/ the winey notes

Afterhours: a powdery floral wine :P

Not really sure what to do with this..i like Montresor but i dont need 3 bottles that smell alike. Off to ze swappies! :D

MCCLIII (1253)

On first sniff this reminds me of the synthetic paint thinner (my roomie back in the day was allergic to turp) I used when I was both still an art major and working in oils. Once on I think I can detect green, and what initially seems like a boozy note that comes across as that sharp and almost astringent paint thinner affect in the bottle. I think that it is, in fact, eucalyptus as this is morphing into fresh green, not soft green and floral but that fierce dark green of leaves and stems and succulents. There might be floral here, but it's no where near center stage. I'm wondering if there is an aquatic note of some sort here, because although this is green, not blue, to me and clearly not of the sea...I'm reacting to some note in exactly the same way I usually react to aquatics. Very fresh, though, almost forest-y. but not of any forest I have around here - no I imagine this is what Australia's green areas must smell like.

MCLXXVIII (1178)

At first this is resiny and a little sweet (like the dark sweet of coca cola when it comes out of the fountain badly calibrated and there's a low soda to mix ratio - can you tell I worked fast food as a teenager?). It almost immediately deepens and broadens into resins and patchouli, and an undercurrent of red musk, I think. I think this comes as close as I could have hoped for a blend that was really and truly made for me.

:P

THANK YOU LAB - and HALLELUJAH!

Fourth time appears to be the charm - MCC (1200). I am in :P! I can't for the life of me figure out what this is, but DAMN do I love it. :D

Throwing out everything I know about notes that work on me or what I usually like (i.e., preconceived notions), here is what I smell:

Apple pie without the dough. Just sweet delicate apples dusted with powdered baking sugar and maybe a little vanilla - but somehow it's not cloying or overly foody or too tart. Maybe it's like some kind of incredibly fancy apple tartlet. This is the wet stage. The drydown's not that foody at all - it's almost more incensy or some kind of musk note, like red musk. How the hell these two things work together is one of the magical miracles of BPAL. :D

Normally I don't even care for fruit! My world is turning upside down!

Edited by roesmoker

Chaos Theory III

MCCC (whatever high number that may translate to)

I am so gleeful, because I had assumed this order to have been lost (oh, ye of little faith) and it was the Chaos Theory I was sad to have missed...

In the bottle: very fresh and aquatic, and perhaps a bit of lily of the valley.

On, a burst of spice and perhaps a touch of neroli, but mostly spice. Or carnations. As I know there is no cinnamon in this series, and as the spicy goodness is extreme, maybe bunches and bunches of carnations.

It settles to water plus spicy drifts of flowers.

It is lovely (and the label is so amazing).

Jumping up and down gleefully here.

(edited because when one is jumping up and down one gets incoherent)

Edited by jarvenpa

CCLX:

White musk and something that says "hotel air freshener"

Previously reviewed by Babylon.

DCLXXVII:

Tobacco and musk. Junpier and fruit. With a ginger edge.

Previously reviewed by cybra111.

MCCXVIII

Brownies baking in the oven. :P

Drydown seems to add the lightest touch of spiciness, so I'll say mexican chocolate brownies in the oven. :D

Edited to add:

MCCXXVII

Starts off bright and minty -- totally enlivening and awake-making

After a while, it morphs into what smells like a slightly sweeter version of Neptune - love it :D

Edited by ayelienne

my second CT bottle is MIC (or 1101).

in the bottle it smells citrusy - lemon with something in the background that I can't put my finger on. it's bright and cheerful, very lovely!

however, a few minutes after I put it on, I get soap. :P I need to figure out what that soapy note is - it's come up in a few other oils.

Edited by Nightbird

Hooray for swaps, since it allowed me to try a few CT3s at once:

Chaos Theory 3: DCXVIII (618)

In the imp: hmm, cherry-lollipop candy.

On me, wet: sharp orange-cherry lollipop, sweet and powdery and sorbet-ish.

On me, dry: The cherry dries down and then something musky... ah, I think it may even be civet, since there's a tinge of urine to this now. Bleah. And then the civet takes over.

Verdict: Glad I got to try it, but this isn't an imp I need to hold onto.

Chaos Theory 3: DCLXXVII (677)

In the imp: strawberries!

On me, wet: strawberry candy, with a creamy soft undertone. Very faint, though.

On me, dry: plasticky strawberry candy, very much like a strawberry-and-cream candy. Soft candy and maybe something a little floral beneath it.

Verdict: My SO seems to like this, but I'm not so keen. Ah well, another experiment, but not one for me.

Last reviewed by hologhost.

Chaos Theory 3: DCCCIII (803)

In the imp: soapy orange-blossom and ozone.

On me, wet: orange blossom, citrus, rose and ozone, soapy but fresh and light also.

On me, dry: hmm, the soapiness has largely dried down, leaving a rather pleasant light rose-and-orange-blossom-and-ozone blend.

Verdict: this is nice - I'm not entirely sure it's my style, but it's nice. I think I'd prefer it if that hint of sharp citrus had stuck around.

Previously reviewed by stonechiper.

Chaos Theory 3: MXII (1012)

In the imp: sandalwood, over an incensey sort of scent.

On me, wet: lots of sandalwood - this is reminding me strongly of Shroud, actually, that same slightly resinous background to the woods.

On me, dry: still almost entirely sandalwood over a hint of resin, but I guess I can smell some light white floral in here too - but the whole scent has faded pretty fast, alas.

Verdict: well, I like sandalwood, so I think this is nice - but it's probably not going to replace The Empress as my go-to sandalwood blend, so.

Edited by Shollin

Bottle number: MCCXLII

I don't know if it's just my nose or anything, but I've had nothing but bad luck with the Chaos Theory's. I'm not fantastic at picking out notes, but here are my impressions of this bottle:

In bottle: Sharp, acrid, very herby with a tiny hint of something the smallest bit sweet.

On skin: It's kinda turned a little ... woodsy and resiny, maybe? Still very sharp and maybe a little bit soapy. But not in the bad way.

Sadly, this is very much not me. It really doesn't suit my skin and definatley doesn't suit my temprament.

I ordered 2 bottles of CT3, but I've only tested this one:

MCCLXII (1262)

In the bottle: Hard to describe, never sniffed an oil quite like this. Maybe this is that ozone, or aquatic scent I see posted so much?

Wet: Clean, herbal, almost like grass? A coworker said the herbal was a bit like sage but not quite. It reminded her of a sweatlodge (she's an Alaska native). Something else in there too, but I can't put my finger on it, too elusive. . .

Drydown: A wood note of some kind coming out, no idea what kind. The only ones I can ID are cedar & pine, it's not those. Still herbal, but softer now. It has a strong throw, I feel like I'm enveloped in a cloud of this about an hour after I applied it & I didn't use that much.

Hour or so later, it's fading fast. At a late lunch w/DH, he liked the scent when I stuck my wrist right under his nose, but he didn't notice it til then - almost completely gone, obviously. But it lasted between 2 & 3 hours.

This one's not a keeper for me. Will probably imp it out so more than one person can try it :P

Edited by schackjj

DCXVII

In the bottle: Cherries To be precise, cherry cough syrup. Oh-oh.

Wet: Thankfully the cough syrup doesn't come anywhere near my skin. Instead I get a very soft skin scent of cherry blossoms.

Drydown: Musky cherries. A memory of cherry blossom season.

Verdict: I'm glad I took a chance and nabbed this partial bottle. I suspect that no other scent will be like this. I am now, of course, tempted to try more of the Chaos Theory blends.

MXIX (1019)

This is a Snake Oil variant. Basically, it's Snake Oil with Cedar instead of Vanilla.

It's totally gorgeous!

The only problem is that Cedar smells like Body Odor when it mixes with my (stupid!) skin chemistry.

:P

Weep for me?

n.