Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
shelldoo

Chaos Theory III: Strange Attractors

Each bottle of Chaos Theory is truly unique, a fragrant fractal, and exercise in the joy of chance and uncertainty! Each is a one-of-a-kind, utterly random combination of scents, the composition of which is based on whim, mood and gut instinct.

CDXXXVI

In the bottle:
Definitely a hazelnutty smell here with some sort of vaguely fruity note in the background I think. And perhaps vanilla, this is pretty foody!

On me:
Once this hits my skin that nutty smell really comes out - definitely a hazelnut smell. It's backed by something quite fruity though, and the longer it sits on my skin, the more that comes out into the scent. After a while, it's only vaguely nutty, but again - still hazelnut. The fruit is a gorgeous, rich fruit - I cannot say with certainty, but I think it's plum. It has that rich purple smell to it, and kind of reminds me of Bordello. This scent is simply gorgeous, and I consider myself lucky to receive such a lovely blend from CTIII.

Final note:
I would summarize this scent has plum and hazelnut - and I think it's a great scent for anytime, but it makes me think especially of Fall.

III

In the bottle: Pure woods, similar to the note in Cathedral but lighter

On my skin: Still the woods but with something bright, maybe almond or a light amber (it reminds me of Eclipse). Then, the faint smell of something burning like a distant campfire and something viscous like tree gum or tree sap.

Final words: This is a fairly long-lasting scent. I could smell it on my skin hours after application. I would have loved it if it had remained a cross between Cathedral and Eclipse (two of my all-time favorite scents) but the light burning note didn't appeal to me. Hopefully, this will find a good home with someone who loves wood notes.

DVIII - A very lightly spicy cake-y, foody scent that kinda smells like yellow cake. It's light, pleasant and very wearable.

DXXXV - Mints! This is different to Lick It, and there's something in there behind the mint kick that reminds me of Ice Queen. It's the slightly creamy note, I think.

Edited by GypsyRoseRed

CXIII (113): The first time I wore this has been different from the subsequent wearings. The first time, I was first blasted with some citrus- but not orange, lime, lemon, or grapefruit. My mom and I tried to come up with other possibilities. Kumquat? Pumelo? Tumelo? Who the hell knows! I have not tried the tweedles, so maybe it's something in one of them. But then about a half hour afterward, it was all spiced cloves. In subsequent wearings, this has been clove, with or without spice. This is the first time I've gotten a good "look" at the BPAL clove note, and it's nice. This bottle reminds me of the oranges that I press cloves into during the Christmas season.

CXIV (114): I've had a REALLY hard time with this one. There's something almost yeasty in the bottle, and faint on the skin. The first time I wore this, I got a really high note, surrounded by a lower note. Helpful, huh? But high as in high in my nose, not as in sweet or sharp. Subsequently, I've decided that this is a floral blend. I THINK I caught some rose (the BPAL rose notes have almost universally been an olfactory blind spot for me- I can't smell them), and something paler. I've been thinking of it as a bride's bouquet- lovely, but not distracting from her on her big day. I'm not sure about this one.

Chaos Theory III Strange Attractors CDLXII (462)

At first I got all brown/carmelized sugars from this, with hazelnut I think. As it dried, I sensed a little cocoa, once or twice, which may have been my imagination. After a couple minutes I started to get the barest faint hint of mint, more of a feeling than a smell, really. Just a little minty tingle way back there, peeking out. Mostly reminded me of Sugar Skull '05, but no candied fruit. Unfortunately after 3 hours this was almost completely gone, except I swear I can still detect that mint. I'm going to try it again.

Second time, I smelled it in the bottle first....still sugary, and hazelnut I think. Now I smell citrus! Where did that come from? Put some on and yes, there seems to be citrus here that I somehow missed completely the first time. Strangely, it's not a sweet citrus..more like orange zest, I think. It's a lovely complex blend, and I hope I did a fair job of picking out notes. Definitely foody, sugary, and hazelnut (I think that's hazelnut, that's what my brain is telling me). Some nice citrus and mint teasing notes in the background, although I wouldn't swear this has mint. It kind of reminds me of a sweet liqueur, although I wouldn't say it has any boozy notes. It's more like a really frou frou liqueur that disguises the alchohol. I like it! I'll keep some for myself but wouldn't mind sharing a couple imps at some point...I'd actually be interested in someone else's take on this.

ETA it's also buttery.

Edited by Forspecial Plate

LXXXVII: Very clean floral. It's half linden and half The Unicorn, minus the salinity. Linden can go kind of fabric softener on me, but this is truly lovely. It makes me happy!

XCVIII: One of the few I've encountered that is very different in the bottle from on my skin. In the bottle, it smells just vaguely medicinal. On my skin, very strong clove, underlain by white musk. Dies down to a nice warm spiciness.

I want more!

CDLXIX - Mmm, apples! Similar to the apple in The Hesprides, but greener and without the wood note. This is fresh, juicy and lovely.

Chaos Theory D:

I uncap the bottle, and it smells sweet without florals. SCORE. I'm getting weird looks from my father at this point, so I pack everything up and move it to my room.

Later, I analyzed it a bit more. To me, Pink Moon and Pink Phoenix smell really similar. I was actually slightly disappointed, hoping PP would be more strawberry on me. Instead, it was like a more vivid PM. Whatever "pink" note they share is in Chaos Theory D. I also get a hint of the sweetness I get from any almond scent when it's wet. But a little more robust.

When I have it on, it's definitely that PP note, the strong pinkness, but half and half with the main sugary fruity sweetness of Sugar Skull. That sliiiiiight booze edge in the background, even.

I like PP and PM, and LOVE Sugar Skull. This is definitely good for a foodie like me. I need to do some side-by-side testing to be sure.

CTIII - DCV (605)

straight sniff from the bottle this is very aquatic with a hint of fruitiness :P

once applied i get an amped up note of very clean fresh air...the fruitiness

fades away and turns into a slightly delicate floral...apple blossom i think :D ...

then the waves roll back in and there is the fresh, watery ocean...

really a lovely scent esp for summer but just not something that i would reach for often enough so off to a better home she goes :D

CTIII - DLIV (554)

straight sniff from bottle this is sweetened cocoa swirled with cherry tobacco :D

once applied the sweetness becomes rather subdued; i'm getting more of smoky,

floral bouquet, crushed and dried...

this one is extremely complex and has a distinct feel of halloween to it...

not for the faint of heart and most definitely not a summer scent...

i can only imagine after i age this a few months i will love it even more :D

a total winner for me :P

DCXXXI (631):

Tested this from the lid because upon first smell I thought, "Oh, I'm not gonna like this..."

This has a very prominent woody note - I'm hesitant to say exactly what it is, but I *know* I've smelled it before, which means it's likely a type of incense or something commonly found in a pagan-type shop. There's also a slightly sugar-y sweet background, but the one note (which I can't identify, grr!) is amping on my skin and so I can't really be sure.

Definitely swap material, alas.

DI (501):

Oh! Yes! Butterscotch is the first thing that hits me straight out of the bottle - thankfully that's not all it is, but somehow there are distinct sweet floral notes that play around the butterscotch and even a gentle hint of - bark, maybe? - but that mostly stays very subdued.

I love it!! :P

Edited by oedipa

XLVI (46):

In the bottle this smells herbal and slightly astringent to me.

Once on, it reminded me of something in between All Saints 05 and Samhain 05. Woody and incensy and very nice. Unfortunately, it soon turned to sawdust the way Samhain 05 does on me - wish I knew which wood note that is that my chemistry perverts that way. Broke my heart, since I really loved it at first and was praying it wouldn't do the sawdust thing... On it's way out to another forum member in exchange for a new CTIII.

LXIV (64):

In the bottle creamy coconut. I think that's coconut. I admit I'm about as note-challenged as they come... :P

Once on, doesn't change much from the bottle. Smells like creamy coconut and reminds me of Elegba, but then again, I don't get any of the booze or tobacco in Elegba listed in the lab description. Unfortunately, I don't do coconut, so this will eventually find its way to another forum member as well.

XDVIII - I can't for the life of me pick out a single note in this one. It's spicy but somehow very clean. WTH?

CTIII - DXXXVIII (538)

straight sniff from bottle is all about a clean aquatic; slightly floral and

blue kool-aid pops :P

once applied this changes absolutely DRAMATICALLY on my skin/with my

chemistry....

it becomes a light floral....violets and perhaps some hyacinth...very pretty,

very summery but most def not for me.....

i know exactly who will love this and off it goes to her :D

First let me say this is bad; I know it. I don't usually do the sticky sweet blends, so I'm not used to picking out their scents.

DCLVII (657)

In the bottle - Bubble Gum, sugary sweetness

On dry down -

It morphs some. It's still sweet, maybe a little fruity or floral? There's more too it to make it complex, but I can't really tell what. I think there maybe a little musk in there too, but I'm not sure. I don't usually go for the sugary, sweet smells, so I don't know how much is my skin chemistry, either.

CDLXXXIX - This has either civet or vetiver in it, plus pine sap and a vague tarragon-like note. I have absolutely no idea what this is, but it would probably work well on someone who can wear woodsy scents. I am not that girl. :P

DCLXXXVII (no idea what number that is):

Wow, this scent has a kick. It is a very masculine scent. It definately has some dark musk in it. There is something kind of woody and green, but really strong. Maybe cedar, pine, or fir. Its also very spicy. In the bottle it has more of the strong green/woody scent, but on drydown, it gets really spicy and musky. All in all this is a wonderful scent, especially for a man. I don't see myself wearing it (I don't mind masculine, but this maybe a little to manly for me), but I think this may be the perfect scent for my hubby (he has been searching for his idea of the perfect man scent). This is the kind of scent that puts hair on your chest.

Ooo...now I am getting incense, but not sweet incense, more of a spicy incense or resin.

Very well done Beth. I can't wait to give it to the hubby. I really think he will love it.

ETA:

I love the label. Way to go Macha!

Edited by MissMorbus

Oh man. I scored. Boy did I score. Thanks, Beth! No, really- thank you! These are beautiful.

DCXXXV aka 635: This is like one of my all-time favorites, Eat Me, but cakier. It's pure sweet delish cake batter in a wee bottle. Holy crap it's good. It smells good wet and gets better dry. Soft vanilla cake, warm and sweet with icing. Pure sugary goodness, I love it! *Pets bottle*

DCXXXIV aka 634: Hee. Beth gave me a small group in a series. Cool. This one is honeyed, in a beautiful way, and again a hint of foodiness comes out on my skin. It's like... baklava. Almost exactly! There's a hint of something that seems almondy but must not be since she said no nuts were involved. Yep. Pure baklava. Oh man, it's yummy. I like the cake batter one best, but this is damned good.

DCXXXVI aka 636: This one is defying analysis for me. It's got the hint-of-almond-that-isn't like IV (the baklava one) above. But this has some underlying astringency, or something. It's not foody. It almost smells alcoholic to me, weirdly enough. Like Frangelico or something. Yet maybe with some... cherry? Something a hint fruity. It's stronger than the other two, and it isn't my favorite, but it is interesting and wearable. As it dries the fruit emerges further, and it reminds me of Montresor.

DCXXI aka 621: This is the one outside of the series of three in a row above. It's much different- no foody or almondy things happening. Instead it smells of cold, the ocean and midnight to me. I sniff it and I picture a cold, wet rock on the seashore at night. It's got a wee hint of sea, like some of my favorite aquatics Beth does, and some note I'm getting cold night air from. Yet no ozone, which I appreciate. I kind of appreciate it for the interesting scent, it's rather refreshing, but the least wearable. I might have the boy try it- it may smell great on him actually.

So yeah, one that makes me just scream with joy, one that I really really like, and two that interest me and are wearable. Nothing icky!!! I didn't like any of the Butterfly Effects I tried much at all- this series is much better for me, I really like all of them, with one I'll cherish seriously.

EDIT: I let another BPAL forumite sniff mine and she smelled similar things in my scents that I'd got out of them... I must be getting OK at figuring out notes!

Edited by LittleGreyKitten

DCLXVIII-668

Wintergreeen. Very Wintergreen. Sadly, I'm not liking it. It's not bad, just not me. Not sure what to do with it.

CT III CDXXXVIII (438)

This is a special oil to me. I will always have happy memories of this scent and it will always hold a special place in my stash of perfume. Anyway, on to the review.

In the imp this smells like sugar, and something else that I can’t place. It’s sorta like Trick or Treat, but pretty different. Maybe it’s sugar and something herbal. Yes, definitely herbs.

Once applied, it’s sweet sugar and herbs. Interesting. After it’s been on a bit, it turns a bit buttery, and it’s still quite sweet.

This reminds me of a mix of Sugar Skull 05 and Trick or Treat. With maybe some herbs thrown in for good measure. I really like it. At some point, the herbs take a walk and all I’m left with is sweet, caramelized sugar.

This is a really long lasting oil, and hours later I can still smell the sweetness – mainly sugar and caramel. Yum!

CTIII - DXCVII (598)

straight sniff from bottle :P .... hmmmmmmmm....so gosh darn familiar....

i puzzled and puzzed 'til my puzzler was solved...why that is harvest moon 2004...

as sure as the day is long...

once applied...yup...harvest moon 2004...an identical replica :D

CTIII - DXLIII (543)

straight sniff from the bottle is a thick, creamy, sweet and minty with a

touch of cocoa kind of aroma :P

once applied this completely does a 360 and turns into what seems to

be a rich sassafras/root beer with a touch of vanilla but something very,

very clean underneath...incredible morpher this one :D

after 15 minutes or so the sassafras turns more woody yet stays very sweet :D

a few hours later this is still going strong...while most of the sassafras has

faded dramatically i am left with a "fresh from the clothes line" blend with little

spurts of that sassafras and creamy vanilla coming through from time to time...

it is gourmand yet fresh and clean...so interesting :D

DIX

(yes, I'm twelve, and this bottle is now known as "dicks")

In the bottle, it's very faint. A little medicinal, but not too much going on scent-wise.

Wet: very very pale woods & herbs, and a little light musk going on. This reminds me a whole lot of Yggdrasil, but it's not very strong, and there isn't much throw at all.

Drydown: this wasn't very strong to begin with, so it's faded quite a bit. It's a clean/herbal, vaguely sweet, but there's a note in there which I cannot identify. This note is in some other oil, which of course I cannot remember, but it smells slightly bitter. Thankfully it isn't a major component. The drydown is mostly soft woods.

I do like this, but I wish this were a lot stronger. I think it will age well, so I'm going to leave this one to brew for a bit to see if that impacts the throw or complexity.

And FWIW, this tastes really gross.

Edited by Diana

CTIII - CIL (can't find a conversion for this)

straight sniff from the bottle is a total cocconutty sensation :P

once applied, the coconut is forefront...strong as the dickens...

after 15-30 minutes this softens and i get a butter and rummy blend

along with the coconut...really lovely but just not my cup o' tea

Last reviewed by Aredhel.

Oh, so hard....

XLVIII (48)

When I first sniffed this after getting it, my thought was 'Wow, yummy and warm with something lovely...' I was all congested then, though, so didn't try anything on since I could barely smell. It's a pale oil.

So I wore it today. I'm terrible at note identification, so be warned,

Wet: Sweet and lovely. Not sure what it is, but it's got a spicy kick to it, while still being warm... but it's not lush and heavy. It's light.

Drydown: That's.... floral. It's definitely a floral. But a very spicy one. It's very clove-like, I think. My first thought was Lush Skinny Dip, violets and cloves. There's something powdery in here that I can't identify. But it's not quite right... Stock, maybe? This smells a LOT like a Stock flower does, all warm clovey floral. But it reminds me of Baghdad maybe, too. Maybe it's carnation I'm smelling. It's a beautiful elegant floral with a hint of powder. Amber maybe?

A few hours later: Jasmine! Or stargazer lily. I swear, this reminds me of Bearded Lady, right down to the soft powder and high sweet floral and a hint, just a hint of vanilla. BL is one of my favorites. I don't smell the spice anymore.

And now, almost faded: There's definitely vanilla or benzoin in here.... it's the same note that's in Snake Oil and Snake Charmer, too, because my wrists have the same chocolatey rich shadow of a scent I get in the final drydown from them.

Of course, I could just be on crack with these associations, because sometimes things that remind me of other scents smell nothing like them.

In summary: I like this one. It's a spicy floral that fades to a sweeter, lighter floral. And it's just the sort of floral I'm willing to wear.