Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
shelldoo

Chaos Theory III: Strange Attractors

Each bottle of Chaos Theory is truly unique, a fragrant fractal, and exercise in the joy of chance and uncertainty! Each is a one-of-a-kind, utterly random combination of scents, the composition of which is based on whim, mood and gut instinct.

DXLVIII/548

Source: frimp from a forumite!

In the imp: white musk? florals? Some cedar and olive, I think. Amber?

Wet: Vanilla and something sharply, sweetly light green - mown grass?

Drydown: something metallic comes out pretty rapidly - metallic, and musky, and not dissimilar to Phoenix Steamworks. It's rich and golden and tangy, with the green note turning into slightly acrid smoke, and then turning gradually into sweet woodsmoke. This is absolutely delicious, and I am delighted to have it in my life! Edited by kaberett

CCLXXXXIX (289) - This one was clean and wispy sandalwood. I swear that there is some white musk, and maybe a white floral like magnolia. So yes, clean, slightly floral, wispy sandalwood.

CDLXXXV (485): this one is sharp, lemony floral. Golden color. There is some sandalwood lurking in the background.

On the drydown, the sandalwood is much more present, I also get a weird almost cherry overlay to it.

DIC (599): Holy red fruit, batman! I'm not sure if that's cherry or currant, but it's bright and bold. one drop was strong enough to make me nervous about going to work with it on, because it had throw like nobody's business. The person I got it from described it as Bastet with heavy almond and spices, but my skin drinks up almond and amps cherry, so I'm calling this cherry.

45 minutes later the shiny redness calmed down and it was actually a lot nicer than I expected. A light amber-y musk shows up, and it's a warm and friendly scent that's much much closer to the skin. Still pretty fruity though.

I did a side-by-side comparison with Bastet since that's what someone else got from it. I can't say I see it. The amber-musk they have in common, but where that is a creamy almond saffron spice, this is a bright fruit layered over it.

For someone who can wear red fruits well, I predict this will be stunning. Moreso than it is on me.

MCCCXLVIII - a surprise in a swap package, and I love it so much! Previously, I never would've been interested in the chaos theory bottles, I'm too much of a grouchy old control freak to buy blind, and I had a bizarre prejudice against people who 'lack the imagination' to choose their own purchases :shhh: ...but I've had to totally change my mind with this bottle - sometimes surprises are awesome!

This guy is very masculine - in the bottle it's quite a cold, peppery cologne-scent, and I was not sure at all, but when applied it gets so much softer and warmer. The pepper is still there, and there's the tiniest hint of leather, perhaps, it's very clean but somehow mussed and reassuring at the same time - to me it smells like the jacket of a boyfriend with very good taste ;) It's a little like Sherlock Holmes, just in smelling so clean and uplifting, but it's more complex and...it smells like a darker colour, Sherlock smelled pale lilac, and this smells worn black denim. It's rather similar to Indigo Duskywing, but even nicer, to the point that I'll be selling my Duskywing bottle as I love this better! :wub3:

Definitely made it into my Top 5 masculine scents! :biggrin: ...and I will certainly be having a gamble, next time chaos theory comes around!

With the new Chaos Theories around I wanted to dig up the one decant I have of a previous CT :D

This is CMXV

In the imp: Musky and red. What on Earth is that? It's so hard when you don't have any notes to back up what you think you're smelling and so far I haven't been able to find a previous review for this (I mean, someone must own the bottle!) The longer I sniff it the closer it gets to Mme. Moriarty. I'm thinking it's the red musk + vanilla bean that I'm reminded by. I really like Mme, so this might be awesome!

On: Sugary musk and cinnamon. That only lasts for a couple of seconds before it smells like watered down tea. Chai tea. As it dries further it gets more peppery, but it still has that bleak watered down-quality to it.

I wonder if carnations are involved? It kinda reminds me of Morocco.. Or Chimera. Not exactly what I want though, especially the watered down part. I wish the sugary musk and cinnamon would have stayed, that was the best part!

MCCXXXIII (1233): This one is a musky fruity scent. There's a sprinkling of sugar, and it makes me think of red currants. There's a bit of musk, and it reminds me to a fruity Shunga. It has a fun, fruity, clean edge. Low throw and wear length.