Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
GypsyRoseRed

Et Lux Fuit

At last, the light at the end of our three-month tunnel of misfortune. To commemorate this momentous occasion, we present a big ol’ bottle of sunny, happy, bounciness -- a golden blend with a celebratory feel, promoting joy, peace, and a sense of comfort and well-being: golden amber, heliotrope, vanilla musk, carnation, daisy and sunflower bouquet, neroli, lemon peel, ylang ylang and honeycomb.

This is, as others have said, a very well blended scent. I am also having a hard time picking anything out of this except for the honey (seems similar to the honey in Litha to me, actually) and vanilla/citrus. Very, very sunshiney and warm.

I really love this is in the bottle and on my skin, sxcept when it has been there for a while (over a few hours)it begins to smell like hairspray :P . I am still giving this a good try all day, and if it keeps up with this hairspray business, it may need to find a new home. Although, i am guessing since it is 110 degrees out that maybe my sweat may be tweaking this a bit since it only started to smell strange when I got a little sweaty.

This scent is absolutely delicious...floral, a little fruity, and absolutely warm and lovely and almost (not really, 'cause its BPAL oil) edible.

Its only fault is that it doesn't seem to last very long.

In the bottle: Carnation, and it smells like the real thing, not just cloves, plus vailla and some florals.

On: I had such high hopes for this blend! I wanted it to be all amber heliotrope vanilla carnation honey. Instead, it's all lemony daisy ylang ylang sunflower on me. In other words, soap. All soap, all the time. Unfortunately, long-lasting soap with a good throw too. *cries*

Off to the sales wi' ye!

Edited by bifemmefatale

Et Lux Fuit

In the imp: soft pale musk and powdery florals, with a little hint of lemon.

Wet on skin: gorgeous soft powdery pale floral notes and now more lemon…

Dry on skin: lemon! This is very lemony, and very fresh as well…I am reminded of La Fee Verte and Zephyr-it's almost soapy but not quite. It's a clean, fresh, warm scent. I can make out the honey, mingling with the lemon, sharper notes against a background of white musk and soft flowers that are as pure and white as clean linen drying in the sun. This is a very luminous scent, very pure, very bright. No amber or vanilla just yet.

After a while: this gets whiter and more powdery. The lemon still remains a bit. Still has a less-herbal LFV scent to it-as in this is LFV with lemon fruit instead of lemon herbs. This is the scent of powdered white light, if there is such a thing. I hope the amber comes out soon-I can't smell any heliotrope or spicy carnation yet or vanilla-just pure lemon-touched musky clean floral whiteness. I do like it though.

After about an hour or so, I do get something sweeter and deeper filtering though the soft powdery scent-it could be vanilla or amber. The musk-vanilla combination here now reminds me slightly of other vanilla musks such as Antique lace (though not as strongly vanilla-y) and of course La Fee Verte. This seems to be improving nicely.

Then I get a scent of sharp-ish honey, a hint of amber, and a lemony-waxy white floral powder…it smells so much like LFV but with a hint of amber. I wish that amber was a bit stronger…a slight greenish tone appears at times-is that the daisy?

Verdict: this, to me, is the lovechild of Zephyr and La Fee Verte. It has Zephyr's powdery, clean, almost 'washed linen' lemon musk and LFV's lemon-honey sharpness. It's a pretty scent-luminous and white-it's sunny at times but to me it's more like sunlight diffused in white cloud, or hazy sunlight, than pure golden sunlight. It's pure white light, powdery and soft, in perfume form. I do like it, but I'm a bit saddened to say that it didn't blow my mind. I thought from the stellar cast of notes that it would be incredible but it didn't wow me as much as I thought it would. The amber doesn't show up as much as I'd hope, nor does carnation or vanilla, and the first half of the scent smells so much like LFV without the herbs. it's just a pretty, almost soapy-clean white powder, a clean linen scent. It's nice and I will keep the bottle-it may get better with age or wear or maybe I'm just having a bad skin day. I have other sunny scents I prefer-like Litha, Ra, Ahathoor, The Lion and Aureus.

Emoticon rating: :P

If you like this, try: LFV, Zephyr, Lyonesse

Edited by yeahbutnobut

I really love Ex Lux Fuit. In the bottle I can't separate any notes at all - it's a sophisticated, feminine blend. On wet, it stays pretty true to the impression it created in the bottle, but the throw is much stronger on my skin. Some spicy carnation begins to emerge, balancing the strong floral notes that are incredibly sweet and happy. It's a PERFECT summer scent, or one to wear in the winter when you want to remember what a golden summer afternoon felt like.

This one is such a morpher on me during drydown! It smells different in every single location I dabbed it, and the individual notes emerge in each area. The backs of my hands are all powdery musk; my inner wrists have the spicy floral notes, and the crooks of my elbows are lemons and honey. Talk about getting your money's worth! :D

One of the most mature & sunniest of the florals I've tried so far. Just beautiful. :P

Was it this perfume, or another one that someone said they smelled "Chanel Light"? And I do. This one is sophisticated, but not heavy. I'm not at full slather right now, just a drop, but it's got throw without being overwhelming. It's one of those amorphous perfumes. Soft and cloudy.

This is perfect for summer weddings, and romantic 10th anniversary dinners.

n.

In Bottle: Light soapy floral

On Skin: This seems very soapy at first. But so freaking beautiful!!! Bright and golden, warm and comforting…. “big ol’ bottle of sunny, happy, bounciness” sums it up perfectly!!! The florals are light, not overly perfumey and I am so happy to say the carnation is working with me, it blends nicely with the daisy and sunflower and I think the heliotrope’s sticky sweetness is counteracting the usually bitter note carnation normally has on me. The amber is a bit powdery but the honeycomb wets it a bit making a nice combination of sweet warmth. The lemon peel stands out and helps balance the sweetness of the other notes. The neroli gives an exotic edge and the vanilla musk wraps everything up in a light veil of YUM! I think this scent is the cousin to La Fee Verte without the absinthe note. La Fee has a green feel whereas as Et Lux is very yellow gold. I usually like darker scents, but if I want to give myself a pick me up or am going to a celebration, this is the scent to wear. I love it! Light throw and short to average wearlength.

Wow, this reminds me of some Bnever perfume, Cocktail?

It's a fruity floral and it's very light. This is a truly summery scent. I can't pick out any of the notes, it's very well blended.

At one moment I thought this was going to turn soapy, but that soapy stage was very brief.

I love carnation but sadly I can't smell it, and the fruits don't make it cloying or overly sweet, but they give this scent a fruity freshness.

I like this for summer :P

Et Lux Fuit is like a golden spray of sunshine, like seeing a flurry of dust motes in the air because a cascade of light is coming through a window. It's the color of Giotto's halos. It's pale and yellow and glowing and hopeful.

I feel like I can smell all of the notes if I concentrate, but overall it feels like amber with vanilla musk and sunflower. It has specific notes that are layered and distinct, and yet it's so well-blended that it also reaches me as a cohesive whole. It reminds me a bit of House of Mirrors, only much more complex. Like HoM, it uses amber in a really unusual and surprising way.

The late drydown stage of this on me is really beautiful. It's like the colors from an old photograph, sepia and white and gold. It's burnished and classy. Lovely!

I can't tell you all how many times I read this thread, drooling over your descriptions of ELF. Soft lemon? Honey lemon? I was imagining something like TAL milk and honey, that I could wear on a more regular basis. I was so excited, so sure I would love this best of everything in my latest order.

But I don't. In the bottle its nice--a sort of powdery lemon candy. But on me, it is a very soapy floral. Yes, it is bright and yellow, but a sort of pastel yellow. and did I say soapy? After about an hour, the honey and amber amp up, and I get the distinctive note of honey, and odd powdery, almost sweaty scent of amber (I know that's an odd description of amber, but thats how it is for me--and its not a bad thing. Amber for me is kind of like goat cheese: at first I always think do I really LIKE this? Then I do). These final honey amber stage is nice--in fact there is a Fred Soll resin incense in Honey Amber that is is slightly reminiscient of. But I don't love it, and I don't llike the soapy/perfumy stage at all.

and I have Honey Moon and Litha for my honey fixes, so while I plan to give this another try, I think it will likely go bye-bye.

eta: to take out catalog descrip. Sorry--I do that so I can remember what is in it, then mean to take it out before posting!

Edited by cuervosueno

This blend is like wearable sunshine. I smell mostly sweet amber with a bit of musk and vanilla. Perhaps a bit of honey, but it's not foody. I get citrus while it's drying, but that disappears quickly, and the florals stay nicely in the background. The amber does turn a bit powdery, but not overwhelmingly so, and the blend is so great throughout all its stages. It really is a happy scent, and I'm so glad I got it!

:D

edited to eliminate repetition--I'm tired :P

Edited by maijasu

I'm so in love with this. I don't get soapy like some others have mentioned at all.

I'm having trouble describing this. It's very soft and peaceful. By soft, I don't mean that it's a light scent that you have to apply a lot of or really sniff at, 'cause it's not that. I mean soft like a huge cozy pillow that you just want to stretch out and roll around in for a while, 'cause it just feels so damn good.

I definitely pick up the amber and honeycomb, and what I think is the vanilla musk. There's a bit of spice to it, probably the carnation, but I very well could be wrong. The florals and lemon peel just round out amber/honey/vanilla goodness, really, and gah, I'm horrible at describing this, but it's amazing.

In the imp: I smell lemon and heliotrope, I think. Also some honey, which is usually the kiss of death.

On me, wet: It's faded a bit (dratted honey), but I still smell something bubblegummy.

On me, dry: This has a bit of powderiness, and it's not as bad as most honey scents with the whole vanishing act. But it doesn't really do anything for me, either.

Verdict: It's not for me.

Wow. This is an amazing blend. Just the light-hearted, summery thing I was looking for in my perfume box a few days ago! I was worried about the florals and the lemon, but it's ended up working beautifully with my skin. Warm and sexy and I just want to slather in it.

*happy sigh*

Holy shit, this is sunshine, laughter, and daisy chains! In the bottle and wet it's sweet and juicy and makes me think of liquid sunbeams. The lemon peel is there, and the daisies, and something sweet, maybe the heliotrope. It's not a 'warm' scent like most resins, but warm like a perfect summer day.

On my skin, I can't pick out the individual notes it's so well-blended but it's absolutely amazing. If I get really close to my wrist, I can smell the vanilla, but most of the time it's this joyous scent wafting all around me. I'm compelled to keep applying through the day, I don't want to stop smelling myself.

I can't pick out the amber like I had hoped, but amber ages for me so I'll see what it's like in a few weeks. Thankfully there isn't enough ylang-ylang to give me a headache.

Overall: Throw your hands up and pirouette. I must have bottles and bottles and bottles of this.

ETA: This blend seems to like me the best the week before my period; before that it dries down quickly to a soft, almost powdery amber. Nice, but not the liquid gold scent it is otherwise.

Edited by SmileCat

Wow. It's high summer, late afternoon sunshine when the bees are buzzing sleepily and everyone's satiated with happiness and warmth and Life Is Sweet.

Initially I barely smelled anything in the bottle, but one it hit my skin the scent simply blossomed. It's honey and amber and lemon and floral and so damned yummy.

Overall: why the hell did I only buy two bottles?!

Oro

Wet, Et Lux Fuit smells like honey and spices. As it dries, the spices mellow out but the honey and amber throw themselves clear across the room. About four hours later, the throw stays closer to home, but it was still on my skin when I woke up the next day.

It is the warmest, late-afternoon sunshine scent I could imagine. I tend to slather, but with this scent that might be too much of a good thing - the sweetness made me a little woozy the first time I schmeared it on. I put it on my pulse points instead this morning, and it's making itself known quite well.

I had to have sunshine in a bottle!

In the bottle: very light slightly sweet floral.

Wet: Very light floral, like the floral scent of a warm summer breeze.

Dry: Wow, this didn't last long at all, perhaps 15 minutes. It is pretty, but I prefer longer lasting scents. This one needs a new home.

In the bottle: There's something really odd smelling in here. Yes, I get the lemon/grapefruit that everyone else gets. It's just that there is something else in there that is not quite right to my nose.

Wet: The not quite right scent is amped. WHAT IS THAT??? It's some bit of floral that refuses to harmonize with my lovely citrus. It's like stink weed destroying my perfectly sunny, happy day.

5 mins later: Is there a little bit of peach in here? Florals and citrus and peach. Very disturbing because it behaved quite nicely when I tried it on last night. Now it makes me gag. The floral is turning rotten. I think I will have to try this on another time. I just ate and I'm feeling kind of full. Maybe that accounts for the queaziness I'm feeling.

10 mins later: I smell white grape mixing in now. I don't like this. It's florals with rotten fruit and I want it OFF. I want to go cuddle with my new CTIIIs and forget this ever happened. AND forget that I have another bottle on the way.

Conclusion: Good throw, but YUCKY on me!

Edited: Carnation is coming out in its spicy glory. I do love spicy sunshine. MMMmmmm! I guess half an hour isn't so bad to wait for this beauty to blossom!

Edited by the_cat_goddess

Bottle: Fruity and light

On: Ahh, the resins appear. Settles into a light, sweet amber - not at all heady.

I predict this one will prove to be popular; I recommend picking up a bottle.

This one is victim to the amber = baby powder curse of my skin chemistry. Fortunately, I am still able to tell just how golden this blend is. I think the vanilla musk and the carnation add just a touch of spice to that baby powder scent. Unfortunately, the powder is so strong I don't think this one really works. :P

Edited by gingersnapp

This one is a morpher! The first prominent note was the fresh, sunny lemon peel, followed by the summery florals. I did panic slightly at the hour point, when it seemed to become solely Vanilla Musk, but then the amber and some other bright component (heliotrope?) jumped into the fray and continued to make the scent wearable for me.

Extremely well-blended, and extremely lovely. :P

This is nice - in the bottle, it's a soft, yellow-y sort of scent. Happy - yes, it's happy.

On the wrist, it's still happy, but it's morphed into something...not really powder-y, but....different. Hard to explain - it's nice, but it's not Nice (on me, anyway!).

It's a soft, feminine scent, no matter how I sniff it - I'll keep it for days when I want to feel sweet. :P

This is a first for me - a BPAL blend that I can't give a definite "yes" or "no" on.

Wet on skin: This smells a lot like Tarot: Strength, so I'll admit I slathered it on. I love Strength and for a little while, Et Lux smelled very similar.

5 minutes: Amber. :P amber! It does a happy little dance across the corpse of the wonderful sweet smells I was starting to get (probably honeycomb). Curse youuuuuuu!

10 minutes: Well I'll be damned. Amber...receding! Wonderful bright smell (lemon, honeycomb, heliotrope, oh my!)...coming forward! There's still a bit of that "this smells like Strength" smell, which I can't identify - they must have note in common, though I have no idea what they are.

2 hours +: Huh. The amber keeps rearing its ugly head, preventing me from fully enjoying Et Lux, but I keep catching whiffs of sweet sunshineygoodness that make me smile. And this sucker is lasting FOREVER - I put it on nearly eight hours ago and it's still hanging on!

Final verdict, it's a good purchase as long as I don't slather too much - alas, the dreaded amber kicks my ass yet again.

In bottle: Sunny! Very warm and inviting. There's a hint of daisy and carnation and just fresh flowers behind it.

On skin, wet: Airy, bright sunflower, heliotrope, carnation and daisy. It just reminds me of the spring garden.

On skin, dry: The amber pokes out and overlays the spring floral. Wrapping its self around the vanilla musk ever so slightly. It's finished at a golden, earthy tone.

Conclusion: Talk about a pick me up in a bottle. This was pretty much love at first sniff. The Ultimate question - How many bottles to horde?

Rating: 4/5