Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
GypsyRoseRed

Et Lux Fuit

At last, the light at the end of our three-month tunnel of misfortune. To commemorate this momentous occasion, we present a big ol' bottle of sunny, happy, bounciness -- a golden blend with a celebratory feel, promoting joy, peace, and a sense of comfort and well-being: golden amber, heliotrope, vanilla musk, carnation, daisy and sunflower bouquet, neroli, lemon peel, ylang ylang and honeycomb.

I recently got this in a swap and oh man, was this lovely when first applied! Rich, golden waves of amber and vanilla musk. Yessss! Now I'm just crossing my fingers that it stays that way through the drydown...It would be so easy for this to turn to flower bouquet of doom. Crap, it's already changing and becoming a flatter scent that's a bit hairspray-ish. This was poised to be a top ten and is sliding into the swaps pile instead. Too bad :cry2:

Edit to add scent description Edited by rayvn1

I just have to say that this scent, in the past few days, has easily become one of my favorites! :thud: :wub2: It's a comforting, rich, spicy floral and yet vaguely sweet. It's like basking in the most golden late afternoon sunlight curled up in your favorite lounge chair, feeling completely cozy and cuddled by the moment and yet still feeling really pretty, beautiful, and vaguely sensual.

If you are a lover of carnation like me Et Lux Fuit is kind of a must. I mostly get the carnation backed by the amber, heliotrope, and vanilla musk with I think the lemon peel burning off pretty quickly. It reminds me of the more mischievous and bubbly sister of The Oval Portrait (another favorite). The Oval Portrait is more the demure, graceful lady while Et Lux Fuit is more outgoing and self-possessed. It's like the difference between ballet and a waltz--both are insanely gorgeous but just different.

Of course this has to be an extremely rare scent though because now I want bottles and bottles of it!! I'd want to bathe in this scent. :cry2: well I guess I can always hold onto the hope of the vague possibility of this being resurrected. ::sigh::

Throw: just a bit more than a skin scent with the scent slowly making itself known to you as you move around but not all that noticeable to the people around you.

Rating: 5/5

The description sounded really awesome. Who wouldn't want a :big ol' bottle of sunny, happy, bounciness -- a golden blend with a celebratory feel, promoting joy, peace, and a sense of comfort and well-being?" I won this on an eBay auction and was so thrilled when I got it yesterday. I put a dab on and waited for it to settle. The ONLY note I could smell out of the entire blend was the honey comb. Honey is one of my notes of doom so I was very disappointed. Since "honey comb" was the last note listed on the description, I thought it would be the least noticeable notes. Sadly, I was wrong :(

This will go to my swap pile.

Sniff: Golden, orange, amber swirls, filtering through flower petals. There's definitely citrus and vanilla, along with yellow blooms and a hint of sweetness.

Wet: Citrus and vanilla going strong! I also detect something almost resinous, probably the amber. It's definitely a warm and fuzzy blend, uplifting and substantive.

Dry: Dusky, soft vanilla, and the florals have arrived! The citrus is just a hint now. The amber and honey hold up what otherwise would be soapiness. I can't detect particular flowers, but my arm smells like a summer garden luxuriating in sunbeams. It also lasted the whole work day, with just the right amount of throw, where people catch a faint whiff as they talk to you.

Liquid sunshine in a bottle, indeed! Definitely one of my favorites.

In decant: a light, beautiful, bright floral. Sweet and honeyed, and faintly citrusy. There are so many florals in this, and it's well-blended that I can't really pick out floral notes. It's light and summery-y, white with a hint of color.

Wet on skin: this is a weird way of saying it, but the first thing I thought of this was "golden white". That doesn't make sense, but that's how it is to me. Creamy, bright floral, sweet and happy and cheerful. A bit of honey, but also slightly dusty. Creamy and citrusy. This is so beautiful and alive! Feminine and youthful, but not girly. I wouldn't say this is "bouncy", but it IS an uplifting, cheerful kind of scent, a kind of happy contentment in a bottle.

Dry: this doesn't really change on my skin, dry. Beautiful, creamy citrus/floral, bright and cheerful. As it stays longer on my skin, an almost resinous note creeps in and grounds this wonderfully, I'm guessing that's the amber.

Verdict: definitely a keeper blend. Very lovely and cheerful, this is like a gentle pick-me-up.

Wet: Very soft and feminine. The lemon stands out (unfortunately, it's the only note in this I am not a huge fan of). It's not overly citrusy though, and the other notes come through more as it dries, but it's very faint. Having to slather on more and more to try to get a good feel for it. The more I put on, the more I get "lemon candy".

Dry: It's pleasant - a soft, sweet floral with lemon. Very "golden" in colour. It's just not wowing me enough to want to track down a bottle.

Very much a gold scent. I mostly smell the bouquet; I have a hard time parsing out the notes otherwise. Mayyyybe a little vanilla musk in there as well. I'm really not getting anything exciting here, it's merely a passable floral with some amber coming out on skin. This one's a big ol' shrug for me.

The lab sent me this as a frottle! I actually used to own a bottle of this but it got sold in the Great De-bottling. I remember liking it back in the day, we'll see how it's aged.
Wet: sweet orange-and-yellow florals with a tinge of citrus! Oh, this is pretty.
Dry: Bright, sweet honeyed florals with a strong yellow/orange trend. Very feminine, somehow, but not girly--womanly, rich and unctuous. I can tell why I sold my previous bottle, given how femme this is, but I like it and I'm glad to have another shot at it.

Edited by storme