Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Donnababe

Best BPALs for SUMMER - is it hot, sweltering, sticky outside?

I'm in Australia, and today is an oven-hot day, high 30s Celsius (pushing 100F), can't get away from this heat that sucks all the moisture and energy out of you. *pants*

Unfortunately I have more warming than cooling scents, but I do have: Parsifal, Kumari Kandam, Green Tree Viper, Tokyo Stomp, Titania, Transeo, Water of Notre Dame. I guess these will have to tide me over the whole summer!

I wear Budding Moon & Chrysanthemum Moon heaps in summer, as well as Dirty and Swank.

Anything with notes like plum blossom, coconut seem to distract me from the horror that is Australian summer, sigh.

This is the first year I've ever paid attention to the Yules, and I'm finding a lot of them are suitable for our weather.

I've worn Almond Blossom, Purple Snowballs, The Mahogany Tree, and Lick It in the last week and they all have a snow note that cools me down in this weather.

It's strange, but I was in Athens for two weeks over the summer and ended up wearing Morocco a lot. It never struck me as a 'hot day' type of scent but it worked very nicely!

It's cold and snowy outside right now, but I can think about summer.:)

I normally like heavy scents pretty much year round - this year is the first that I've really paid any attention to "seasonally appropriate" scents. If it's 90 degrees outside (or inside!), I don't enjoy my usual favorites as much. My very favorite scent for summer is Blue Fire - although the juniper and lemongrass smell so sharp on me that I'm about to try it as a winter scent as well. I also like Cheshire Cat, Rosalind, The Ghost, and Juke Joint as summer scents. (I like citrus scents in the winter too - so Cheshire cat may end up back in the rotation soon.)

Another hot summer night Down Under, and I wore Kumari Kandam to bed. So cool and earthy. I definitely wear it more during hot weather, and I think it's my favourite summer scent.

Last summer I was really digging Mouse's Long and Sad Tale. So nice!

Also, Bon Vivant...Strawberries and effervescent bubbly.

Hi friends! I'm kinda new around here (as in, I really don't post much!), but I was wondering what some of your favorite summertime scents are from the lab? I feel like most of my collection is very foody and autumn like, with nothing really that says "it's hot outside and this will smell good.", ya know?

Hi littleflight :wave:

As Mountaingrrl mentioned, the Recommendations section has two topics:

Best BPALs for SUMMER - is it hot, sweltering, sticky outside?

and

Scents for summer into autumn

so you'll probably find those helpful :smile:

I think in general, people associate the lighter, brighter blends with summer - in particular, citrus notes like lemon/orange/lime get mentioned a lot... and there's also the sweeter florals that we associate with summer - eg jasmine, gardenia etc. The more 'fresh' scents (eg notes of cucumber, tea etc - green things, generally) also work nicely. But don't be afraid of wearing your foody/autumn blends in summer - often a bit of heat will work magic with certain BPALs and give a scent a whole new vibe in the warmer weather. Personally, I love wearing Snake Oil on stinking hot days because all that vanilla and spicy goodness just gets better and better the hotter it gets :smile:

I like the lush, humid floral scents in the summer. My favorite is Marae, it reminds me of gardenia. A good clean scent is Wensleydale, it's like fresh cotton sheets dried in the sun.

I tend to go for lighter and more masculine scents in the heat of summer, unless I'm going dancing at which point I pick sexy things that amp in the humidity. This summer, my favorites were:

Spider

Twenty One

Crow Moon 2013

Planting Moon/Karme

The Rose

Ehecatl

Kumiho

i like green tree viper...sexy snake oil and cool mint. also snow, glass, apples...more mint. and a sudden invitation...plum and...mint.

i guess i like mint for summer... :blush:

I pulled out the White Rabbit today. I crave it when it's warm. I find it refreshing but still a bit "hot body" like from the milk note.

I LOVE Golden Wave and Santa Eularia Des Riu. They both bloom wonderfully in the heat and convey two different "beachy" sort of scents--Golden Wave is warm and tropical, while Santa Eularia Des Riu is soft and Mediterranean!

Great Vampire Bat. The orchid/incense combo wafts wonderfully in humid weather. It is however, an uber-rare.

Fairy Wine. Playful, sexy, juicy and vibrant.

Delight & Consternation for the softness and sweetened citrus.

Waters of the Well of Wisdom for the pure zen vibe and coolness.

Y'ha-nthlei is awesome for an energetic, beachy vibe.

Hungry Ghost Moon is gentle yet bright.

Black Pearl fits summer too, but might be best as a nighttime scent since it's a bit slinky.

Edited by Balame